• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • October 14, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
    :)) :))
  • October 14, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
    DBhORor
  • October 11, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
    [link]
  • October 11, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
    That moment when I should be studying but I try to get distracted by anything and come check the forums :v
  • October 11, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
    wut
  • October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
    happyyy late birthday lukee
  • October 11, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
    happy belated
  • October 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM
    Happy Birthday  :hype:
  • October 10, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
    Happy B.Day Luke  :hbd:
  • October 10, 2017, 02:44:58 AM
    :popo:
  • October 10, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
    :hbd: :hbd:
  • October 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
    :8000:
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
    BoOoOOoO
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
    halllloooowweeeenn
  • October 09, 2017, 07:53:02 AM
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Ray Ray. [link] p.s: if you haven't seen the movie yet, go and do it. ofc you watch the first movie then the second one. it's actually nice^^
  • October 09, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
    ahh f*ck...forgot... [link]
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:23 AM
    *sees spooky theme* ... ---> [youtube]Xvjnoagk6GU[/youtube]
  • October 08, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
    Dragon Ball Online Revelations: Spooky Edition
  • October 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM
    It's Spoonbob
  • October 07, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
    who dat weirdo, monkey?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
    with a lot of fantasy it is out [link]
  • October 06, 2017, 10:00:37 AM
    Is this game still not out?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
  • October 04, 2017, 07:55:17 AM
    D=
  • October 04, 2017, 07:26:48 AM
    D:
  • October 04, 2017, 04:06:33 AM
    ;)
  • October 04, 2017, 02:03:01 AM
    :haaaah:
  • October 01, 2017, 05:15:37 AM
    :bruh:
  • October 01, 2017, 04:18:23 AM
    :holdit:

Topic: Pokemon 2nd Gen team  (Read 1268 times)

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« on: August 10, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »

Offline Puffy

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 4 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Lithuanian Soldier
  • I am a: Crane Hermit
Sup everyone, kinda thought it would be a good idea to remove the dust from my Nintendo DS. I remembered that 2nd gen pokemon games were the ones that I never actually played and bought Soul Silver (those games are so cheap these days).

Anyway, I encountered a problem. As you all know, single player doesn't require as much thinking as competetive stuff. But yeah, I'm stuck right now.

My team:
Feraligatr
Ninetails (I know, pretty bad choice for a fire special attacker but I have never really played with it)
Scyther (Adamant with Technician, that was one lucky catch)
Espeon (really wanted an Umbreon but my team already lacks special attacking power)
Tyranitar (didn't want to pick Dragonite but wanted something from second gen).

And I need a fifth team member. Can't decide what to choose to be honest. Was thinking about getting an Electabuzz but it is only available in Kanto region and very late in the game. Another pokemon I was thinking about is Tauros. Then again, it's a physical attacker. So, I need your suggestions :)

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 02:27:58 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
Sup everyone, kinda thought it would be a good idea to remove the dust from my Nintendo DS. I remembered that 2nd gen pokemon games were the ones that I never actually played and bought Soul Silver (those games are so cheap these days).

Anyway, I encountered a problem. As you all know, single player doesn't require as much thinking as competetive stuff. But yeah, I'm stuck right now.

My team:
Feraligatr
Ninetails (I know, pretty bad choice for a fire special attacker but I have never really played with it)
Scyther (Adamant with Technician, that was one lucky catch)
Espeon (really wanted an Umbreon but my team already lacks special attacking power)
Tyranitar (didn't want to pick Dragonite but wanted something from second gen).

And I need a fifth team member. Can't decide what to choose to be honest. Was thinking about getting an Electabuzz but it is only available in Kanto region and very late in the game. Another pokemon I was thinking about is Tauros. Then again, it's a physical attacker. So, I need your suggestions :)

Well, you meant sixth team member, not fifth.

Your team is fairly well balanced so far, so you're of to a good start.  Right now what you mostly need is either a solid Ice type (to deal with Dragons or Flying types) or an Electric type (to deal with Water or Flying types). 

If you're gonna go electric I would recommend Magneton.  Electabuzz isn't bad, but he isn't really good either, unless you're thinking of getting Electivire due to stones (Soul Silver has all DP evolutions).   Magneton has Electric/Steel which sounds like a horrible mistake due to 4x Ground Weakness, but it has good defensive typing and still packs a punch, ESPECIALLY if you evolve him into Magnezone.  Jolteon would be another solid option, Raichu would probably be alright, Zapdos would be great if you could get him.

As for Ice Types, straight up Weavile.  You should be able to evolve Sneasel into Weavile this game, and Weavile's one of the best Ice Types to come out from the DP gen due to fast speed with a pretty good punch, and you need that for Ice as most Ice types suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  There's always Lapras as well or whatever other random Ice type you can find that isn't too bad.

But anyways, that's my advice for now.
We WILL Protect the Peace!

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:23:14 AM »

Offline Puffy

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Lithuanian Soldier
Well, you meant sixth team member, not fifth.

Your team is fairly well balanced so far, so you're of to a good start.  Right now what you mostly need is either a solid Ice type (to deal with Dragons or Flying types) or an Electric type (to deal with Water or Flying types). 

If you're gonna go electric I would recommend Magneton.  Electabuzz isn't bad, but he isn't really good either, unless you're thinking of getting Electivire due to stones (Soul Silver has all DP evolutions).   Magneton has Electric/Steel which sounds like a horrible mistake due to 4x Ground Weakness, but it has good defensive typing and still packs a punch, ESPECIALLY if you evolve him into Magnezone.  Jolteon would be another solid option, Raichu would probably be alright, Zapdos would be great if you could get him.

As for Ice Types, straight up Weavile.  You should be able to evolve Sneasel into Weavile this game, and Weavile's one of the best Ice Types to come out from the DP gen due to fast speed with a pretty good punch, and you need that for Ice as most Ice types suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  There's always Lapras as well or whatever other random Ice type you can find that isn't too bad.

But anyways, that's my advice for now.

That's the main problem - I kinda want to get everything as if I was playing original games (G, S and C), well, you know, without the pokemon that Gen IV introduced. I could get both Electabuzz and Raichu from Kanto but that would make my team incomplete for johto. Plus, I never use legendaries in normal playthough. I could also get Dragonite, as Feraligatr can bust dragons' asses with Ice Fang or even Ice Beam. But that would mean having two late bloomers in my team (Tyranitar and Dragonite - both need a high ass level to level up). Tyranitar can learn electric attacks so I got that covered to. I had ideas of picking Magneton as a potential team member and if I won't come up with anything else - that will be my choice. Clefable is also a choice as normal types are quite viable and it is a special attacker.

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:38:11 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
It's not a bad team for a casual playthrough. I tend to use things significantly worse when going through a fresh game just to test out the new Pokemon. You seem to have most of your bases covered and you know what you're in for. As long as Tyranitar has moves for both of its STABs, you're in a good spot.

Lemme just evaluate the whole team here, with respect to a casual playthrough.

Feraligatr: All of the Kanto starters are pretty garbage and lack proper coverage and attack options, not to mention they're monotype. Feraligatr is the least garbage of the bunch IMO, since it has access to more useful attacking options. The problem with Feraligatr, though, is that it's a physical attacker and not a special one. You need a Pokemon with Surf for general transportation, and while Surf is a good attack, it's a waste of a moveslot on Feraligatr. Out of your non-water types, the Nidos and Dragonite line are the only ones that can make good use of it, so you might want to use one of those to spread your moves out.

Ninetails: This isn't what you want to hear I'm sure, but Ninetails is easily the most useless Pokemon on your team because it can't provide any HM coverage and has a shallow movepool to work with. I ran into the same issue when using a Ninetails before during BW2 and I had to build my entire team around accommodating the thing because I liked it. TM Dark Pulse is the only way to give it decent coverage, and you already have a Tyranitar for Dark-type attacks. Nasty Plot setup could be useful if it wasn't for the fact that you're stuck with a Fire-type attack of your choice and maybe Dark Pulse. Houndoom does everything it can do better, and it can learn Strength or Rock Smash if you need those covered. You can catch Houndour in the Safari Zone.

Scyther: You will want to evolve this since Scizor has excellent priority moves with Technician to make up for its abysmal speed compared to Scyther, and it hits harder and has a higher defense. Otherwise, you might want to look into using Heracross, because its typing is much more useful, though it's a late bloomer with the one good Bug-type attack it learns.

Espeon: It's good at what it does, but the thing is, it doesn't really do anything outside of its niche as a Psychic-type special attacker. IMO, it's too similar to Ninetails in that they both have this issue with a shallow movepool and have basically zero utility outside of that. At least Espeon can learn one HM (Cut), and you'll probably have a useless moveslot, so that's a plus I guess? And Shadow Ball instead of Dark Pulse, but they're both going to cover the same thing primarily (Ghost-types). Starmie can cover the same niche and it has better coverage, especially because it can use Thunderbolt. If you can put up with its horrible defensive typing, Executor and Slowbro are also useful Psychic-types, though they don't have Starmie's speed and Executor has awful defensive typing, though Executor's access to stuff like Sleep Powder could be useful. They also have access to other HMs.

Tyranitar: This is going to be a late bloomer. I really do think that Dragonite would have been a better option since you can get a Dratini earlier in the game, and Dragonite can use Fly and Surf, both of which you need a Pokemon to use. That said, Tyranitar at least has useful typing for your team and it can learn some other HMs.

Last Slot: Honestly, I'd suggest Nidoking or Nidoqueen if it wasn't for the fact that you'd have three Pokemon with a 2x weakness to Ground if you did. Getting a Dragonite would probably cover a lot of your weaknesses, if not most of them, and it only shares a weakness to Ice with Scyther.

I think the core problem with your team is that you're going to run into some serious issues later in the game because you're not focusing enough on utility, you're focusing on what a "serious" player would concern themselves with (physical/special split and balanced offensive and defensive typing), except that you're using Pokemon that aren't optimal for the niche you want. If you can't use the game's HMs, then you're digging yourself into a hole that you're not going to get out of easily, and you'll eventually have to realize that a lot of your team-building is useless because you forgot that you need three water type HMs in HGSS and you don't have Fly. I've made the mistake before and I recommend you address that issue in advance when you're still in the phase of deciding what you want on your team.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
It's not a bad team for a casual playthrough. I tend to use things significantly worse when going through a fresh game just to test out the new Pokemon. You seem to have most of your bases covered and you know what you're in for. As long as Tyranitar has moves for both of its STABs, you're in a good spot.

Lemme just evaluate the whole team here, with respect to a casual playthrough.

Feraligatr: All of the Kanto starters are pretty garbage and lack proper coverage and attack options, not to mention they're monotype. Feraligatr is the least garbage of the bunch IMO, since it has access to more useful attacking options. The problem with Feraligatr, though, is that it's a physical attacker and not a special one. You need a Pokemon with Surf for general transportation, and while Surf is a good attack, it's a waste of a moveslot on Feraligatr. Out of your non-water types, the Nidos and Dragonite line are the only ones that can make good use of it, so you might want to use one of those to spread your moves out.

Ninetails: This isn't what you want to hear I'm sure, but Ninetails is easily the most useless Pokemon on your team because it can't provide any HM coverage and has a shallow movepool to work with. I ran into the same issue when using a Ninetails before during BW2 and I had to build my entire team around accommodating the thing because I liked it. TM Dark Pulse is the only way to give it decent coverage, and you already have a Tyranitar for Dark-type attacks. Nasty Plot setup could be useful if it wasn't for the fact that you're stuck with a Fire-type attack of your choice and maybe Dark Pulse. Houndoom does everything it can do better, and it can learn Strength or Rock Smash if you need those covered. You can catch Houndour in the Safari Zone.

Scyther: You will want to evolve this since Scizor has excellent priority moves with Technician to make up for its abysmal speed compared to Scyther, and it hits harder and has a higher defense. Otherwise, you might want to look into using Heracross, because its typing is much more useful, though it's a late bloomer with the one good Bug-type attack it learns.

Espeon: It's good at what it does, but the thing is, it doesn't really do anything outside of its niche as a Psychic-type special attacker. IMO, it's too similar to Ninetails in that they both have this issue with a shallow movepool and have basically zero utility outside of that. At least Espeon can learn one HM (Cut), and you'll probably have a useless moveslot, so that's a plus I guess? And Shadow Ball instead of Dark Pulse, but they're both going to cover the same thing primarily (Ghost-types). Starmie can cover the same niche and it has better coverage, especially because it can use Thunderbolt. If you can put up with its horrible defensive typing, Executor and Slowbro are also useful Psychic-types, though they don't have Starmie's speed and Executor has awful defensive typing, though Executor's access to stuff like Sleep Powder could be useful. They also have access to other HMs.

Tyranitar: This is going to be a late bloomer. I really do think that Dragonite would have been a better option since you can get a Dratini earlier in the game, and Dragonite can use Fly and Surf, both of which you need a Pokemon to use. That said, Tyranitar at least has useful typing for your team and it can learn some other HMs.

Last Slot: Honestly, I'd suggest Nidoking or Nidoqueen if it wasn't for the fact that you'd have three Pokemon with a 2x weakness to Ground if you did. Getting a Dragonite would probably cover a lot of your weaknesses, if not most of them, and it only shares a weakness to Ice with Scyther.

I think the core problem with your team is that you're going to run into some serious issues later in the game because you're not focusing enough on utility, you're focusing on what a "serious" player would concern themselves with (physical/special split and balanced offensive and defensive typing), except that you're using Pokemon that aren't optimal for the niche you want. If you can't use the game's HMs, then you're digging yourself into a hole that you're not going to get out of easily, and you'll eventually have to realize that a lot of your team-building is useless because you forgot that you need three water type HMs in HGSS and you don't have Fly. I've made the mistake before and I recommend you address that issue in advance when you're still in the phase of deciding what you want on your team.

Espeon covers Fighting and Poison, which are very easy types to cover, and is basically useless against Dark, which is somewhat of an issue since Johto introduces Dark types, and Ghosts aren't uncommon either. 

Feraligatr isn't bad, but as Kiyza said you can't really HM it (outside of Waterfall I think), and it only really has Water, Normal, and Dark moves. 

Ninetales is better than Espeon in terms of coverage, but there's just so many better Fire types out there, like the one Kiyza mentioned.  It's not a bad Pokemon, but in terms of offensive coverage it's somewhat limited, and it doesn't cover many things that flying doesn't.  In non-competitive gameplay Flying types are powerful, remember that.

Scyther is basically going to be your key Pokemon once you evolve it.  Scizor is powerful and is one of the few Pokemon that can often take his 4x times weakness, something even Dragonite often can't do.  He's fast, has good Bug/Steel moves which covers a LOT, and does good damage.   No problems here.

Tyranitar is a good tank, but a bit of a late bloomer.  Personally I've never liked him because even though he's supposed to be a slow tank, he has so many weaknesses that can cripple that capability.  However, he's not bad.

Basically this point, your team is well rounded in defense, but not in offense.  You have good type coverage in terms of defense, your major weaknesses are covered by your other Pokemon.  Your biggest issue outside of HMs is that you have little power against types such as Dragons (Feraligatr can get Ice moves but it lacks STAB), Ghosts, Electric types (Tyranitar can get Earthquake, but it lacks STAB) and even Flying Types.  Honestly you even have little coverage for other Water types, lacking a Grass or Electric type, meaning you can tank them with Feraligatr, but will have trouble killing them.

With Kiyza's point in mind (sorry I didn't think of that), I would suggest Lanturn.  It's a somewhat Tanky Special-Attack focused Electric/Water type.  That will give you a place to throw Surf and Dive which giving you Electric type as well, covering other Water Types and Flying, both of which you currently lack offensive coverage for.  But that's just me.

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:38:37 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
@Shyruni: Coverage for Dragon-types isn't particularly important because there are only a handful of them in the game to begin with. It's not competitive play, where you're up to your neck in dragons. There's one late game gym that'll give you trouble if you don't prepare for it, but I've never played GS or HGSS and had any problems with the gym worth writing home about, other than the damn Kingdra, which you can't really counter via typing anyway because Water/Dragon is such a good combination offensively and defensively. Even Lance only uses a single strong Dragon.

I also wouldn't say that Feraligatr is bad. In terms of its movepool, it has the most going for it out of Johto's starters. On level up, you have access to Crunch, Ice Fang, Superpower, and Aqua Tail, and via TM you can get Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, and Avalanche. On the contrary, the problem is that it's too good in that respect and you'd be wasting a useful move slot on Surf, which is the single most important HM in the game.

While he doesn't have any STAB coverage of Electric-types, it's unlikely that he'd even need it. Just give Feraligatr or Tyranitar Earthquake. Ground-type is more useful for switching in against Electric-types than getting rid of them. Keep in mind, all Electric-types in HGSS are glass cannons, so a super effective attack should be more than enough. The only non-legendary Electric-type with a base physical defense higher than 80 is Magneton, which takes 4x damage from Ground-type moves anyway -- not that you'll always KO it in one hit anyway due to Sturdy. Also worth noting is that HGSS's Ghost-types are also glass cannons that you can dispatch with Feraligatr or Tyranitar's Crunch, STAB or otherwise. Heck, you'll almost always see Gengar's line, and Espeon can deal with those if it's faster. He also has offensive coverage for Flying because Tyranitar has Rock-type moves.

Now, using Lanturn is a bad idea in terms of type coverage because then you have three different Pokemon weak to Grass-types, which are an extremely common type in the game. Not to mention, his rival's strongest Pokemon is going to be a Grass-type, and the Pokemon he has that counter Meganium are also glass cannons liable to get knocked out quickly. If you're going to pick based on type alone, it would be wiser to pick a Pokemon that has good defensive typing and doesn't have any common weaknesses with the current team, like Gengar, which only shares a Ghost-type weakness with Espeon. Offensively and defensively, though, he has pretty much all of his bases covered.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
@Shyruni: Coverage for Dragon-types isn't particularly important because there are only a handful of them in the game to begin with. It's not competitive play, where you're up to your neck in dragons. There's one late game gym that'll give you trouble if you don't prepare for it, but I've never played GS or HGSS and had any problems with the gym worth writing home about, other than the damn Kingdra, which you can't really counter via typing anyway because Water/Dragon is such a good combination offensively and defensively. Even Lance only uses a single strong Dragon.

I also wouldn't say that Feraligatr is bad. In terms of its movepool, it has the most going for it out of Johto's starters. On level up, you have access to Crunch, Ice Fang, Superpower, and Aqua Tail, and via TM you can get Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, and Avalanche. On the contrary, the problem is that it's too good in that respect and you'd be wasting a useful move slot on Surf, which is the single most important HM in the game.

While he doesn't have any STAB coverage of Electric-types, it's unlikely that he'd even need it. Just give Feraligatr or Tyranitar Earthquake. Ground-type is more useful for switching in against Electric-types than getting rid of them. Keep in mind, all Electric-types in HGSS are glass cannons, so a super effective attack should be more than enough. The only non-legendary Electric-type with a base physical defense higher than 80 is Magneton, which takes 4x damage from Ground-type moves anyway -- not that you'll always KO it in one hit anyway due to Sturdy. Also worth noting is that HGSS's Ghost-types are also glass cannons that you can dispatch with Feraligatr or Tyranitar's Crunch, STAB or otherwise. Heck, you'll almost always see Gengar's line, and Espeon can deal with those if it's faster. He also has offensive coverage for Flying because Tyranitar has Rock-type moves.

Now, using Lanturn is a bad idea in terms of type coverage because then you have three different Pokemon weak to Grass-types, which are an extremely common type in the game. Not to mention, his rival's strongest Pokemon is going to be a Grass-type, and the Pokemon he has that counter Meganium are also glass cannons liable to get knocked out quickly. If you're going to pick based on type alone, it would be wiser to pick a Pokemon that has good defensive typing and doesn't have any common weaknesses with the current team, like Gengar, which only shares a Ghost-type weakness with Espeon. Offensively and defensively, though, he has pretty much all of his bases covered.

Sorry about that, it's probably been a bit too long since Heartgold.  I forgot that Heartgold was one of the few gens without a Dragon-focused Elite Four member (almost every gen seems to have one).  Lance exists, but you'd probably be ready for him. 

Also I didn't think about Lanturn's grass weakness, I mostly suggested it to give a good surf user that wouldn't just be another Feraligatr.  I almost suggested it in place, but offensively Feraligatr is probably better.

A Fighting type might not be a bad choice due to getting rid of Dark/Rock/Steel/Ice, and none of your guys are really weak to Psychic or Flying, but once again, there's no HMs.

Once again, I haven't played Heartgold in a long time and am more used to the Black/White onward Metagame, so maybe I'm not the best person to try and help.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:02:49 AM by Shyruni »

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »

Offline Puffy

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Lithuanian Soldier
Well I kinda never thought about HM's actually as I always get one or few HM slaves. I always kinda feel that using HM on pokemon (apart from Surf or Waterfall) is a waste of a move slot. HM slaves on the other hand (especially Sentret or Bellsprout) only take up one slot at a time so I can always replace them after clearing some dungeon in Pokemon center. So I got HM's covered.

I wasn't planning to use HM Surf on Feraligatr anyway, as HM Waterfall is a heck of a lot more useful on him. With the base power of 80, STAB and being a physical attack it can already do a lot of decent damage.

Now I am well aware that Ninetails is rather weak (ok very weak, fire is already bad defensively and it's highest stat being special defense doesn't help that either). Let's say it kind of brings a challenge to my game as Fire type pokemon usually helps the most throughout the journey (heck, you can clear entire Red or Blue with a single damn Charizard (and HM slaves)).

I am not planing to evolve Scyther as it will surely gain a lot more attack but it will lose a lot of speed (Scizor is rather slow) and going faster is what this thing does in my team. My team is already slow and Scyther kinda makes up for that. I don't care about Ice weakness as typically Ice types are slow and Scyther always outspeeds dang near anything. Funny thing is, both Scizor and Scyther even have the exact same stat total, just distributed differently.  Plus, it's hard to get pokemon that evolve via trade these days in DS, especially where I live.

I don't like Tyranitar myself, just wanted to keep him as someone from gen 2. Plus it can learn quite a few TM's.

I was thinking about making a few choices in my team and replacing Espeon with Jolteon and getting a Fighting type of some sort (really like Hitmonchan for his elemental punches but Hitmonlee is faster and stronger and even gets Blaze Kick in these games). The bad thing about this is the fact that I'm playing a 2nd gen game and most of my pokes will be from first gen. Too bad that gen 2 introduced only a few viable pokemon. Ehh... Miss you, Platinum <3

What do you think guys?

Overall, it's important to remember that physical/special split happened in these games and now even Water or Fire moves can be physical (which gives a lot more freedom about choices).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:14:39 PM by Puffy »

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »

Offline vating

• Shenron
  • Honor: 15 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
Everyone in this thread: Deep examination of pokemon stats, abilities, and types.

Me: Bah, just pick what you want and go with it!

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 02:50:24 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
Well I kinda never thought about HM's actually as I always get one or few HM slaves. I always kinda feel that using HM on pokemon (apart from Surf or Waterfall) is a waste of a move slot. HM slaves on the other hand (especially Sentret or Bellsprout) only take up one slot at a time so I can always replace them after clearing some dungeon in Pokemon center. So I got HM's covered.

I wasn't planning to use HM Surf on Feraligatr anyway, as HM Waterfall is a heck of a lot more useful on him. With the base power of 80, STAB and being a physical attack it can already do a lot of decent damage.

Now I am well aware that Ninetails is rather weak (ok very weak, fire is already bad defensively and it's highest stat being special defense doesn't help that either). Let's say it kind of brings a challenge to my game as Fire type pokemon usually helps the most throughout the journey (heck, you can clear entire Red or Blue with a single damn Charizard (and HM slaves)).

I am not planing to evolve Scyther as it will surely gain a lot more attack but it will lose a lot of speed (Scizor is rather slow) and going faster is what this thing does in my team. My team is already slow and Scyther kinda makes up for that. I don't care about Ice weakness as typically Ice types are slow and Scyther always outspeeds dang near anything. Funny thing is, both Scizor and Scyther even have the exact same stat total, just distributed differently.  Plus, it's hard to get pokemon that evolve via trade these days in DS, especially where I live.

I don't like Tyranitar myself, just wanted to keep him as someone from gen 2. Plus it can learn quite a few TM's.

I was thinking about making a few choices in my team and replacing Espeon with Jolteon and getting a Fighting type of some sort (really like Hitmonchan for his elemental punches but Hitmonlee is faster and stronger and even gets Blaze Kick in these games). The bad thing about this is the fact that I'm playing a 2nd gen game and most of my pokes will be from first gen. Too bad that gen 2 introduced only a few viable pokemon. Ehh... Miss you, Platinum <3

What do you think guys?

Overall, it's important to remember that physical/special split happened in these games and now even Water or Fire moves can be physical (which gives a lot more freedom about choices).

If you're using an HM slave then you should be good in that regard then.

The only issue with switching Espeon for Volteon is having 3 Pokemon with Ground weakness (Volteon, Tyranitar, Ninetales), but that's not a particularly huge issue since you have a good Water type, and honestly ground types aren't TOO common in Heartgold/Soulsilver if I remember correctly.  Other than that tho I think it's a good switch.  It might be a good idea to get Magneton instead though because you don't have any Steel types, and that type is very beneficial, but once again you're only making the ground weakness a bigger issue.

Other than that, I think your team will do fine.  You're not going competitive so you don't need perfection, and your team is well rounded enough that I think you shouldn't have any major problems.

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »

Offline Puffy

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Lithuanian Soldier
I kinda like to experiment so I guess I'll do another walkthrough after this with a completely different team. I remember how many times I replayed Fire Red - best pokemon game for me. I remember having Blastoise/Boober (Magmar, look it up)/Jolteon/Nidoqueen/Mr. Mime/Dragonite and going through entire game no sweat.

Anyway, a few off topic questions: are X and Y worth a try? and what about Black and White games?

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:01:21 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
I kinda like to experiment so I guess I'll do another walkthrough after this with a completely different team. I remember how many times I replayed Fire Red - best pokemon game for me. I remember having Blastoise/Boober (Magmar, look it up)/Jolteon/Nidoqueen/Mr. Mime/Dragonite and going through entire game no sweat.

Anyway, a few off topic questions: are X and Y worth a try? and what about Black and White games?

XY are fun games imo, remind me a bit of first gen.   Good music, nice landscapes, and decent Pokemon designs.  The story's kinda meh, but I've seen worse.

Black/White is infamous for having the worst Pokemon designs, but it's mostly overreacting.   Black/White has the best Pokemon story by far, is probably the most difficult, has great music, great landscapes, overall a great entry and possibly my favorite.  Don't let the fanbase push you away from this one, it's better than they act.  And besides, it's about Murica!

Pokemon 2nd Gen team
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 10:32:58 PM »

Offline Griffel

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 14
    • View Profile
  • Griffel > You
  • I am a: Wonder Majin
Fire Red the best imo

dont let this man Shyruni lie to you gen 5 is garbage. complete trash. gen 5 gave me Mesothelioma.
Anything is Possible.