nooooo Luke i was joking about the NC-17 link xD
  • October 14, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
    :)) :))
  • October 14, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
    DBhORor
  • October 11, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
    [link]
  • October 11, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
    That moment when I should be studying but I try to get distracted by anything and come check the forums :v
  • October 11, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
    wut
  • October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
    happyyy late birthday lukee
  • October 11, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
    happy belated
  • October 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM
    Happy Birthday  :hype:
  • October 10, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
    Happy B.Day Luke  :hbd:
  • October 10, 2017, 02:44:58 AM
    :popo:
  • October 10, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
    :hbd: :hbd:
  • October 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
    :8000:
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
    BoOoOOoO
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
    halllloooowweeeenn
  • October 09, 2017, 07:53:02 AM
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Ray Ray. [link] p.s: if you haven't seen the movie yet, go and do it. ofc you watch the first movie then the second one. it's actually nice^^
  • October 09, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
    ahh f*ck...forgot... [link]
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:23 AM
    *sees spooky theme* ... ---> [youtube]Xvjnoagk6GU[/youtube]
  • October 08, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
    Dragon Ball Online Revelations: Spooky Edition
  • October 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM
    It's Spoonbob
  • October 07, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
    who dat weirdo, monkey?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
    with a lot of fantasy it is out [link]
  • October 06, 2017, 10:00:37 AM
    Is this game still not out?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
  • October 04, 2017, 07:55:17 AM
    D=
  • October 04, 2017, 07:26:48 AM
    D:

Topic: Final Fantasy VII- Remake (Trailers and More)  (Read 7505 times)

Final Fantasy VII- Remake (Trailers and More)
« on: December 06, 2015, 04:57:34 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human

NEW TRAILER, GAMEPLAY LOOKS LIKE KINGDOM HEARTS

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:42:35 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Tbh... I hate that it plays like Kingdom Hearts. I get that this is the direction Final Fantasy games have been going these days .... Don't get me wrong the cutscenes look amazing and so does exploring out of combat. But I'd rather have turn based combat with control of all units and such, I wouldn't mind the old system being updated to look better ,  I guess nowadays people want it to feel more like an actual battle .
I don't think I will be getting a ps4 anymore.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:47:29 AM by Roxas »

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
I mean, in this day in age you can't expect something this huge to simply be turned based (especially since its called a remake). And the trailer does in-fact show you can play as your party members, so yeah! I am pretty hyped up personally, the game reminds me of Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts/FFXV.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:00:39 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
Tbh... I hate that it plays like Kingdom Hearts. I get that this is the direction Final Fantasy games have been going these days .... Don't get me wrong the cutscenes look amazing and so does exploring out of combat. But I'd rather have turn based combat with control of all units and such, I wouldn't mind the old system being updated to look better ,  I guess nowadays people want it to feel more like an actual battle .
I don't think I will be getting a ps4 anymore.

This actually reminds me a lot of Crisis Core's combat system.  I don't know if you ever played it, but it was an interesting blend of action combat and RPG elements.  I'm guessing they're going to go more towards that route.  Personally, I rather liked it, but I can get someone preferring the more oldschool style.  Maybe they'll include both as options?
We WILL Protect the Peace!

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:02:03 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
I saw that you can play as your teammates but I really just don't like the way it's done .  I don't know , it just doesn't feel right to me , but it's probably only me who feels this way , I can be picky about stuff.  That's just my opinion on it , honestly besides the way the combat works everything else shown in the trailer looks good. Character voices are alright but I'm not really gonna complain on that ( Barrett should sound cooler)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 06:04:32 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Hunh. I've actually been watching Maximilian Dood's videos for the past few weeks because of his protips and advice on fighting games.

Now, I've never actually played Final Fantasy VII (yes, I know, the witch has to be burned now), but this looks... interesting. And different. In typical SquEnix fashion, more emphasis seems to be placed on the aesthetics than the actual substance. The video is about two minutes long, with like 30 seconds of actual combat, despite this being a "gameplay trailer".

While I do think this looks interesting, I have to second-guess myself for a moment. It's clearly getting turned into an action RPG, which, naturally, is going to turn people off, but on the upside, it means that it's more than just the standard "slight upgrades" remake that you see in so many "remake" games. It's interesting that they'd take an iconic game and change the formula so much. With respect to the actual action itself, it kind of looks like a mess in some aspects, perhaps due in part to the drab backgrounds. I'd honestly be afraid that I could lose track of the game because of that, though it does look intriguing enough that I'd be tempted to try it anyway... after I actually do get around to playing the original version of the game.

In response to anyone complaining about the fact that it's an action RPG instead of a turn-based RPG (which I imagine will be more than just Roxas), if you want a turn-based Final Fantasy VII, you already have it, and nothing will stop you from going back to play it. Like I said, I think it's preferable to a straightforward rehash because it's a sign that they're actually doing something different and unique with the remake. I generally don't feel any need to purchase a remake that's just a graphics update if I already have the original, but even if I did own Final Fantasy VII, this would probably catch my eye solely for the fact that it's a fresh take.

I mean, in this day in age you can't expect something this huge to simply be turned based (especially since its called a remake). And the trailer does in-fact show you can play as your party members, so yeah! I am pretty hyped up personally, the game reminds me of Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts/FFXV.

There's nothing really saying it shouldn't be turn-based. The game being rendered the way it is doesn't mean it would play better if it was an action RPG. On the contrary, this sort of game could easily lend itself to something like VATS in Fallout, or anything that doesn't skip to a separate "battlefield" when you're planning out your attacks. That said, maybe something like the battle system from Chrono Trigger, where it's a mixture of active combat and turn-based attacks with no change of location for the battlefield, might have suited it better.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 07:44:05 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master

A huge RPG can't be turn-based?

I know a few games that disagree, including the upcoming title above.

Because IT IS a remake, it should probably be the same genre, shouldn't it? You wouldn't expect CAPCOM's remake of Resident Evil 2 to be a first-person shooter right?
If it's simply a more "active" looking game, that's fine. However, changing the gameplay itself would be a bad choice (not to mention the sheer negativity the similarities to FFXIII may produce).

Not to mention the turn-based RPG has been doing exceptionally well for the last decade. The return of titles like Persona, original titles like Bravely Default, and even the constant rereleases of old Final Fantasy titles have been well received.

Not to mention going by size is irrelevant. A single playthrough of say... Persona 4 takes around 60 hours for a first time player. Again... a turn-based RPG.

This is clearly Square-Enix's big gamble, and if they screw up a remake of possibly the most famous turn-based JRPG of all time, that'll probably be the end of them.
If they want to make an action RPG, they should make an action RPG... but they shouldn't market it as the remake of Final Fantasy VII.

In response to anyone complaining about the fact that it's an action RPG instead of a turn-based RPG (which I imagine will be more than just Roxas), if you want a turn-based Final Fantasy VII, you already have it, and nothing will stop you from going back to play it. Like I said, I think it's preferable to a straightforward rehash because it's a sign that they're actually doing something different and unique with the remake. I generally don't feel any need to purchase a remake that's just a graphics update if I already have the original, but even if I did own Final Fantasy VII, this would probably catch my eye solely for the fact that it's a fresh take.

But what about games like Resident Evil and it's GameCube remake? Or Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes compared to the original PS1 MGS?
Both are straightforward remakes that cover the same ground, but improve upon the originals without altering the core.
If they want to add new stuff, I'm all for that, but not at the cost of what made the original so beloved.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 40 / 0
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
  • I am a: Shadow Knight
Loving the new direction with combat. I just hope they keep the Materia system in some form or another. It's a pretty iconic system in FF.
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite part of the internet".

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
The only Final Fantasy games I've played for more than 2 minutes is Chrystal Chronicles, which has a quite different combat system, and FFIII HD on my phone (but I lost my saves mid-way through the game and didn't feel like starting over). I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat so I gotta say I like it more this way.

I've only seen the first few minutes of FFVII on Youtube and I gotta say this video even gave ME some nostalgia and, like I said, just saw a little bit of the game on a video.

If I ever get some extra money and I already have a PS4 plus all the games I actually want, this is definitively first in my priority list. Sadly, I doubt the previous conditions will be completed anytime soon. :'(
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Looking fancy.
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 01:04:27 AM »

Offline Stormfall

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Bumblebee
I saw that you can play as your teammates but I really just don't like the way it's done .  I don't know , it just doesn't feel right to me , but it's probably only me who feels this way , I can be picky about stuff.  That's just my opinion on it , honestly besides the way the combat works everything else shown in the trailer looks good. Character voices are alright but I'm not really gonna complain on that ( Barrett should sound cooler)
It's nostalgia, it can do this to you.

Back on topic, I really like the gameplay in this, and I'm definitely interested (Unlike Cloud) after completing the original FFVII weeks ago.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 01:59:45 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
A huge RPG can't be turn-based?

I know a few games that disagree, including the upcoming title above.

Because IT IS a remake, it should probably be the same genre, shouldn't it? You wouldn't expect CAPCOM's remake of Resident Evil 2 to be a first-person shooter right?
If it's simply a more "active" looking game, that's fine. However, changing the gameplay itself would be a bad choice (not to mention the sheer negativity the similarities to FFXIII may produce).

Not to mention the turn-based RPG has been doing exceptionally well for the last decade. The return of titles like Persona, original titles like Bravely Default, and even the constant rereleases of old Final Fantasy titles have been well received.

Not to mention going by size is irrelevant. A single playthrough of say... Persona 4 takes around 60 hours for a first time player. Again... a turn-based RPG.

This is clearly Square-Enix's big gamble, and if they screw up a remake of possibly the most famous turn-based JRPG of all time, that'll probably be the end of them.
If they want to make an action RPG, they should make an action RPG... but they shouldn't market it as the remake of Final Fantasy VII.

But what about games like Resident Evil and it's GameCube remake? Or Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes compared to the original PS1 MGS?
Both are straightforward remakes that cover the same ground, but improve upon the originals without altering the core.
If they want to add new stuff, I'm all for that, but not at the cost of what made the original so beloved.
I mean, its called a remake. It tells us that it would be different just from the title.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 02:04:53 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
Yeah but they remake Draon Quest titles all the time .
Also remember soulssilver and heartgold? Remakes that they added to but it was essentially still the game at heart.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 02:06:39 AM »

Offline Stormfall

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Bumblebee
Well, the game isn't even out yet, so I won't judge it this quickly.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 03:06:27 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I mean, its called a remake. It tells us that it would be different just from the title.

Your argument is invalid. Both of the images I just posted show remakes of games from the same era (and incidentally, both of the remakes came out on the GCN). Both were heralded for preserving the spirit and gameplay that was so beloved in the original, whilst upgrading them.
Both were remakes.
Resident Evil was one of the best known PS1 games, and was pretty much the blueprint for the Survival-Horror genre (despite being preceded by Alone in the Dark). The GameCube Remake is probably the most famous and best example of a remake done right. It not only redid the entirety of the PS1 game with far superior graphics and atmosphere, but it added new stuff in like the quick turn (adopted from RE3), self-defense weapons, new enemies, a mechanic where you have to burn enemy corpses so they don't get back up, new weapons, and an expanded story. Yet, the primary gameplay remained... which is precisely why it was a quality remake.
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was practically a 1:1 remake of Metal Gear Solid. The PS1 game is again, one of the most widely known PS1 games, and the GCN version didn't change the core of that. It did add in some slight design changes, and elements from Metal Gear Solid 2 (the ability to drag enemies, shooting out enemy radios, hanging off of ledges, new easter eggs, etc.), but again... the core of the game was retained. Again... an excellent example of how to remake a game.

Final Fantasy VII is probably the most well-known RPG of all time. This remake wasn't supposed to be for the ADHD-addled Call of Duty dimwits of the modern era. The fans, people who played and adored the PS1 original for almost 20 years... they're the ones who wanted this remake. We've been asking for a remake since the PS1... and if they're changing it to an action game, then it's obviously not a remake, but an entirely new game, trying to pass itself off as a remake.

These are the decisions that have been killing Square-Enix.

I'm not saying it won't be good... but it absolutely WILL NOT be Final Fantasy VII if it's an action game. Changing the core gameplay means it's not a remake, pure and simple.
If they remade Kingdom Hearts II into a turn-based game, is it the same thing? If they remade Dragon Ball Online into a puzzle game, is it the same thing?

As I said before... if they want the combat to be faster paced, or if they want it to be more of a visual spectacle, that's fine. But if they're changing the very core of the gameplay, you can not call it a remake.

Not only that, but did you ever stop to think why the PS1 game was so beloved? Trying to use "it's a remake, so of course it's going to be different!" as an excuse is ridiculous. The point is, the only differences there should be to a remake is an increase in content, and a new coat of paint.

Yeah but they remake Draon Quest titles all the time .
Also remember soulssilver and heartgold? Remakes that they added to but it was essentially still the game at heart.

I think Roxas actually understands exactly what I'm saying, and it's pretty clear a good chunk of the fanbase is upset over this decision. And he's exactly right. Those Dragon Quest and Poke'mon remakes retained their core gameplay, whilst expanding on it... exactly what a remake should be.

Also a side note in regards to Barret's voice, I'm pretty sure it's the same VA he had in Advent Children, Beau Billingslea, who's probably best known as Jet in Cowboy Bebop.

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 03:57:17 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
I'm seeing an interesting pattern here.  Diehard fans of FF7 seem to be the new idea, while newer fans or not really fans seem really interested in the new direction.  Maybe this is supposed to be aiming for a more general audience?  I don't really know, but I feel there is a pretty clear divide here.  I mean, even I admit the combat sounds interesting, but Roxas and Nia who are older fans of the franchise seem to really dislike this new move.

As I said before, it is possible they might have two game modes, where you can choose between oldschool combat and more modern, kind of like how Fire Emblem Awakening added a "casual" mode for newer players while still having a "classic" mode where your units have permadeath as usual.

Either way, knowing Square Enix like I somewhat do, chances are if they're making a move like this, they've already thought it through and won't plan on changing it.  Let's just hope they have both combat modes to please the entire fanbase.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 04:16:31 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I'm seeing an interesting pattern here.  Diehard fans of FF7 seem to be the new idea, while newer fans or not really fans seem really interested in the new direction.  Maybe this is supposed to be aiming for a more general audience?  I don't really know, but I feel there is a pretty clear divide here.  I mean, even I admit the combat sounds interesting, but Roxas and Nia who are older fans of the franchise seem to really dislike this new move.

As I said before, it is possible they might have two game modes, where you can choose between oldschool combat and more modern, kind of like how Fire Emblem Awakening added a "casual" mode for newer players while still having a "classic" mode where your units have permadeath as usual.

Either way, knowing Square Enix like I somewhat do, chances are if they're making a move like this, they've already thought it through and won't plan on changing it.  Let's just hope they have both combat modes to please the entire fanbase.

I doubt they'd do that (as it'd require them to basically make the game twice), but something like that I don't think would be too bad.

And no offense, but... modern Square-Enix isn't exactly known for "thinking things through," otherwise Final Fantasy XIV would never have happened... twice.

Of course, who knows? Most likely, in true Square-Enix fashion, what you saw probably wasn't even actual gameplay footage, and was probably just a pre-rendered mock up, like they did with Final Fantasy XIII back in the early days of the PS3 (and we all saw how vastly different that game was from it's trailers). It's possible they're gauging player reactions to the trailer, and deciding where to go from there.

But I will say this... the fact that they only now decided to follow through with this remake, after years of telling fans "NO!", and given that I've heard very little praise for Final Fantasy XIV and XV... this is likely a sign that if this game fails, it's gonna kill the Final Fantasy franchise, if not Square-Enix (although, they might be able to sustain themselves with Dragon Quest).
And considering the majority of the fanbase is undoubtedly the people who played the original 20 years ago (it's easily the best selling PS1 game), doing something that alienates them would practically be a death sentence, particularly since all that was desired from this game was a fresh coat of paint.

My personal suggestion to Square-Enix? Remake FFVII in a proper remake, drop FFXIV, and use this plan to make an FFVII MMO. You get the fanbase who wants a more action-y version of the game without alienating fans of the original, and you get an MMO that doesn't reek of putrid mediocrity (and for feck's sake, they need to drop that monthly subscription BS).
The best part is, in such a scenario, the fans of the original WOULD actually like it, seeing as how well recieved Crisis Core was. Having something like this for a remake? It's not a wise choice. Having something like this for a spinoff? Plenty awesome.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 04:53:58 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★

Your argument is invalid. Both of the images I just posted show remakes of games from the same era (and incidentally, both of the remakes came out on the GCN). Both were heralded for preserving the spirit and gameplay that was so beloved in the original, whilst upgrading them.
Both were remakes.
Resident Evil was one of the best known PS1 games, and was pretty much the blueprint for the Survival-Horror genre (despite being preceded by Alone in the Dark). The GameCube Remake is probably the most famous and best example of a remake done right. It not only redid the entirety of the PS1 game with far superior graphics and atmosphere, but it added new stuff in like the quick turn (adopted from RE3), self-defense weapons, new enemies, a mechanic where you have to burn enemy corpses so they don't get back up, new weapons, and an expanded story. Yet, the primary gameplay remained... which is precisely why it was a quality remake.
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was practically a 1:1 remake of Metal Gear Solid. The PS1 game is again, one of the most widely known PS1 games, and the GCN version didn't change the core of that. It did add in some slight design changes, and elements from Metal Gear Solid 2 (the ability to drag enemies, shooting out enemy radios, hanging off of ledges, new easter eggs, etc.), but again... the core of the game was retained. Again... an excellent example of how to remake a game.

Final Fantasy VII is probably the most well-known RPG of all time. This remake wasn't supposed to be for the ADHD-addled Call of Duty dimwits of the modern era. The fans, people who played and adored the PS1 original for almost 20 years... they're the ones who wanted this remake. We've been asking for a remake since the PS1... and if they're changing it to an action game, then it's obviously not a remake, but an entirely new game, trying to pass itself off as a remake.

These are the decisions that have been killing Square-Enix.

I'm not saying it won't be good... but it absolutely WILL NOT be Final Fantasy VII if it's an action game. Changing the core gameplay means it's not a remake, pure and simple.
If they remade Kingdom Hearts II into a turn-based game, is it the same thing? If they remade Dragon Ball Online into a puzzle game, is it the same thing?

As I said before... if they want the combat to be faster paced, or if they want it to be more of a visual spectacle, that's fine. But if they're changing the very core of the gameplay, you can not call it a remake.

Not only that, but did you ever stop to think why the PS1 game was so beloved? Trying to use "it's a remake, so of course it's going to be different!" as an excuse is ridiculous. The point is, the only differences there should be to a remake is an increase in content, and a new coat of paint.

I think Roxas actually understands exactly what I'm saying, and it's pretty clear a good chunk of the fanbase is upset over this decision. And he's exactly right. Those Dragon Quest and Poke'mon remakes retained their core gameplay, whilst expanding on it... exactly what a remake should be.

Also a side note in regards to Barret's voice, I'm pretty sure it's the same VA he had in Advent Children, Beau Billingslea, who's probably best known as Jet in Cowboy Bebop.
Remake literally means to do something again but differently. If you recreate a game but with HD graphics thats an HD version or a recreation. Not only that, they said a few months ago that the game would be different, but not un-recognizably different.

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 05:24:12 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Remake literally means to do something again but differently. If you recreate a game but with HD graphics thats an HD version or a recreation. Not only that, they said a few months ago that the game would be different, but not un-recognizably different.

You're not very bright are you?
The GCN version of Resident Evil WAS NOT an HD remaster of the PS1 game. The Resident Evil HD Remaster is an HD port of the GCN game, however.
The GCN game was rebuilt from the ground up with a new engine. There's no re-used resources from the PS1 version in it. It was a brand new game. However, the original gameplay style, and core remain in it.
Same with Twin Snakes. It was entirely rebuilt from the ground up in a new engine. However, it remained true to the core gameplay.
Both of those games were remakes. Not remasters. Not HD ports (although REmake did get an HD rerelease... a decade later).

A remake does not suggest that it's a completely new concept in a new direction. It implies that it takes the original game, and improves on it's core, possibly expanding on the story and adding in new elements.

Don't believe me? Go play the original PS1 version of Resident Evil, then play the GCN remake (or it's HD port). If you think it's the same, you're an idiot.
Yes, they cover the same ground. Yes, they're both Survival Horror games. The difference is, one of them is much, MUCH more advanced. The remake took the original concept, and added to it, while preserving the core of the original and advancing it. THAT is a remake.

If they took say... Super Smash Bros. and turned it into a game that played like Tekken, taking away the free movement, turning your combo chains into dial-a-combos, removed the ability to knock enemies a mile into the sky, added a special attack meter and removed the ability to use your unique abilities without that, and made it slow paced, you would NEVER in a million years call it a remake.

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
I doubt they'd do that (as it'd require them to basically make the game twice), but something like that I don't think would be too bad.

And no offense, but... modern Square-Enix isn't exactly known for "thinking things through," otherwise Final Fantasy XIV would never have happened... twice.

Of course, who knows? Most likely, in true Square-Enix fashion, what you saw probably wasn't even actual gameplay footage, and was probably just a pre-rendered mock up, like they did with Final Fantasy XIII back in the early days of the PS3 (and we all saw how vastly different that game was from it's trailers). It's possible they're gauging player reactions to the trailer, and deciding where to go from there.

But I will say this... the fact that they only now decided to follow through with this remake, after years of telling fans "NO!", and given that I've heard very little praise for Final Fantasy XIV and XV... this is likely a sign that if this game fails, it's gonna kill the Final Fantasy franchise, if not Square-Enix (although, they might be able to sustain themselves with Dragon Quest).
And considering the majority of the fanbase is undoubtedly the people who played the original 20 years ago (it's easily the best selling PS1 game), doing something that alienates them would practically be a death sentence, particularly since all that was desired from this game was a fresh coat of paint.

My personal suggestion to Square-Enix? Remake FFVII in a proper remake, drop FFXIV, and use this plan to make an FFVII MMO. You get the fanbase who wants a more action-y version of the game without alienating fans of the original, and you get an MMO that doesn't reek of putrid mediocrity (and for feck's sake, they need to drop that monthly subscription BS).
The best part is, in such a scenario, the fans of the original WOULD actually like it, seeing as how well recieved Crisis Core was. Having something like this for a remake? It's not a wise choice. Having something like this for a spinoff? Plenty awesome.

I meant "thinking it through in their minds", but fair enough.  I know enough about their reputation to know they're not exactly too respected these days.

The factor of Crisis Core is kind of what I was curious about, if they were going for a superior Crisis Core with this, a combination of action and RPG gameplay.  A lot of people seemed to really like the way Crisis Core played, so it's possible they were trying to replicate that with a few upgrades.  I'm not saying it's the best decision, more it's possibly the way they're looking at it.

Once again, it might be because they're trying to attract an overall larger audience beyond simply the oldschool FF7 fans.  Seeing as Cloud is getting in Super Smash Bros, it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the goal.

But as you said, we don't really know whether or not they are telling the truth with the trailer, so it's probably better just to wait and see rather than get too hyped or too upset.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Well, any remaining hope I had just died.
They're turning it into a "multi part" game (which means in all likelihood, it'll be episodic).

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

Granted, all things I've said could be simple misinterpretation.
But considering Square-Enix's choices in the last few years? I doubt it.

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
They're turning it into a "multi part" game (which means in all likelihood, it'll be episodic).

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

Episodic doesn't mean it'll be bad.
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 40 / 0
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
  • I am a: Shadow Knight

This model of release won't see the light of day. I think we can all agree that the backlash that's already happening regarding this news is huge and will only get worse if nothing is done.

SE are fools if they continue this path, rich fools.
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite part of the internet".

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 12:40:18 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
You're not very bright are you?
There a reason you want to start arguments? Seriously can't have a respectful debate with you.

I hope the "episodic" thing is about the game having multiple disks in one and a huge install on PSN or something. But if I have to wait and/pay for the other episodes, they lost my purchase. Hype train is on hold.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 02:03:13 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
For me, it will depend on how big the individual games would be.  From what I've read, the reason behind the episodic format is to fit all of the game content they want to in, instead of having to shorten things down into one singular release.  Seeing how absolutely massive game files are becoming and how expensive full-blown titles are becoming to make as a whole, I can somewhat see where they are going with this.  But again, this seems like something better to make an opinion on later instead of now, I want to see where they're going with this.