• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • October 14, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
    :)) :))
  • October 14, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
    DBhORor
  • October 11, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
    [link]
  • October 11, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
    That moment when I should be studying but I try to get distracted by anything and come check the forums :v
  • October 11, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
    wut
  • October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
    happyyy late birthday lukee
  • October 11, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
    happy belated
  • October 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM
    Happy Birthday  :hype:
  • October 10, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
    Happy B.Day Luke  :hbd:
  • October 10, 2017, 02:44:58 AM
    :popo:
  • October 10, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
    :hbd: :hbd:
  • October 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
    :8000:
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
    BoOoOOoO
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
    halllloooowweeeenn
  • October 09, 2017, 07:53:02 AM
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Ray Ray. [link] p.s: if you haven't seen the movie yet, go and do it. ofc you watch the first movie then the second one. it's actually nice^^
  • October 09, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
    ahh f*ck...forgot... [link]
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:23 AM
    *sees spooky theme* ... ---> [youtube]Xvjnoagk6GU[/youtube]
  • October 08, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
    Dragon Ball Online Revelations: Spooky Edition
  • October 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM
    It's Spoonbob
  • October 07, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
    who dat weirdo, monkey?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
    with a lot of fantasy it is out [link]
  • October 06, 2017, 10:00:37 AM
    Is this game still not out?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
  • October 04, 2017, 07:55:17 AM
    D=
  • October 04, 2017, 07:26:48 AM
    D:
  • October 04, 2017, 04:06:33 AM
    ;)
  • October 04, 2017, 02:03:01 AM
    :haaaah:
  • October 01, 2017, 05:15:37 AM
    :bruh:
  • October 01, 2017, 04:18:23 AM
    :holdit:

Topic: 3DS Homebrew Guides  (Read 8112 times)

3DS Homebrew Guides
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:22:33 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
This thread will teach you how to add homebrew to your 3DS.

What is Homebrew?
Homebrew is a feature that is added to your 3DS. It gives you a ton of more features, including helpful ones.
With Homebrew you can have:

GBA Emulator
SNES Emulator
Custom 3DS Themes
Disables Region-Locking

How do you get Homebrew on your 3DS? Its very simple. For one, check out this website.
The website above has its own guide, but I will just put in a guide here because you may be lazy.

Make sure you have the YouTube app on your 3DS.

-Update your 3DS to the latest version
-Download the Starter Kit from the website above.
-Turn off your 3DS
-Take the SD card out of your 3DS and place it into your PC
-Place the extracted files from the Starter Kit onto the ROOT of your SD Card
-Take the SD Card out of your PC and place it back into your 3DS.
-Go to your System Settings, choose your main internet connection and go to Edit Connection Settings"
-Scroll over to the right once, tap the DNS button
-Change the Auto Obtain DNS option to no. Then tap Detailed Setup.
-Change Primary DNS to the following: 107.211.140.065
-Hit OK and Save
-Boot up the YouTube application
-Choose your firmware. If you are using an old 3DS, change the firmware to the latest version that has OLD by it.
-Wait

You will be transferred to the Homebrew Channel.

Remember these few things when you are in the Homebrew Channel.

-The Start button lets you go back to your homepage. Do not turn off your 3DS while in the Homebrew channel. I do not know if turning it off will cause issues. It didn't cause any for me, but you can never be too safe!

-The A button will let you select things, along with tapping the screen

-DO NOT CLOSE YOUR 3DS. This will cause your 3DS to freeze and have a black screen; requiring you to turn it off yourself. Again, I do not know if it will cause any issues.

-The Homebrew may not always work. It may crash or freeze your system. Simply try again.

I will update this guide with certain things like;
How to use themes (ADDED)
How to create themes
How to play GBA games
How to play SNES games

Unless someone else decides to add to this with their own guide that is.

DOWNLOADABLE THEMES GUIDE

You need to have followed the steps from above.
Make sure your 3DS is on the blank theme (Do not use a theme option)

-Download and extract this file
-Turn off your 3DS and take the SD card out
-Place it into your PC
-Copy the extracted folder into the "3DS folder" (found on the root of your SD card)
-Make sure it has things like 3ds_homemenu_extdatatool folders. Just to know if you are in the right place or not.
-Place the extracted folder into the 3DS folder.
-Place the SD card into your 3DS and start up Homebrew
-You should see a CHMM option on the bottom
-Tap/press A and wait until you see the option.
-You should see the option Killua (the theme I created)
-Press A
-Press START
-Press START on the Homebrew screen (which lets you restart your 3DS) and press A
-Wait

Spoiler for Preview of my theme:
And then the theme I created should appear on your 3DS. I will list how to download other people's themes.

-Visit this website
-Search up a character or whatever
-Download the theme
-Take SD card out of 3DS and place into PC
-Go to the CHMM folder and go to the Themes folder
-Create a folder for the theme downloaded
-Place the files into that folder
-Change the extension of the .bcstm file into all caps (Ex: bgm.BCSTM)
-Place SD card into 3DS and boot up Homebrew
-Go to CHMM
-Choose the theme
-Press START
-Press START on the Homebrew screen
-Press A to restart
-Wait

I will now list things for anyone who is having issues with this.
Spoiler for Theme Issues:
The theme i downloaded isn't showing up!
-Make sure your theme is in the right place. If it is and it still isn't showing up, simply copy the Themes folder entirely and paste it into the root of your SD card.

My theme doesn't have a .BCSTM file!
-This only means that the theme will have no music. Download another theme that has music if you want to.

I keep getting an error when I press A on the selected theme!
-Simply exit CHMM (START button) and press restart the 3DS (START button and A on the Homebrew screen) and try again.

SNES EMULATOR GUIDE

SNES Compatability List

-Download
this file
-Place the extracted files into the 3ds folder
-Create a SNES folder on the root of your SD card
-Place any .sfc files (SNES files) into that folder
-Go to the Homebrew Screen
-Choose the blargsnes option and choose your game.

And that is it. I've been playing Mega Man X a lot with this.

CREATING THEMES

This guide will be one I found on Reddit. Also, if I stop being lazy, I will make another guide on custom themes. Credits to thebuttonislife for the guide. Click here for the original guide.

Spoiler for Theme Creation Guide:
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:

If you'd like to apply a theme on your 3DS, you'll need access to The Homebrew Launcher, or an alternative method of running homebrew software. For instructions on how to access The Homebrew Launcher, visit this site.

SECTION ONE: TOP SCREEN

Before starting this section, you will need:

Photoshop or an alternative image editing software

An archive program such as WinRAR

Step 1: Download these PSD templates I created and then extract them from the archive. If you don't have Photoshop, you can also download them as PNG files here.

Step 2: Open the file Real Top.PSD in Photoshop.

Step 3: Create or import the image you want to use as the background image for the top screen. The red areas in the PSD file are areas that will be covered by the 3DS's icons. Note that some icons are actually semi-transparent and some are not visible all the time (such as the camera and screenshot icons), so don't leave those areas blank. The blue areas are areas that are visible when the 3D effect is turned on, but can't be seen when the 3D effect is off.

Step 4: Once the top screen image is done, make sure to make the overlay layer invisible and then save the image as either a BMP or a PNG. (You can also use a JPEG, but it will probably compress the image in undesirable ways and won't look quite the same once it's on the 3DS.)

Step 5: Now open the file Full Top.PSD in Photoshop. Import the image you just saved previously and place it in the top left of the image, where the placement layer is. Turn the placement layer off (but leave the white background on), and then save the image as a PNG file. As the top screen is now finished, I would recommend putting the PNG file in its own folder, and then later you can put all of the finished elements of the theme into that same folder.

SECTION TWO: BOTTOM SCREEN

Photoshop or an alternative image editing software

The templates from Part One

Step 1: Open the file Real Bottom.PSD in Photoshop.

Step 2: As before, create or import the image you want to use as the background image for the top screen. The red areas are areas that will be covered by the 3DS's icons, however, none of these areas are semi-transparent. If you would like to create an animated (scrolling) bottom screen, continue to Step 3; otherwise, skip to Step 4.

Step 3: To create an animated bottom screen, you need to have three frames for the bottom screen. To achieve this, I recommend using Real Bottom.PSD to create the first bottom screen, saving the file as an image, and then editing the PSD and saving to create the other two. Number the files as 1, 2 and 3. Frame 1 should be the neutral version of the bottom screen, and then as you move right it changes to 2, 3, and then back to 1. Note that if you are creating something that is scrolling along the bottom, don't make it move to the right (it will look strange because when the user is moving to the right, the screen should actually be scrolling in the opposite direction, to the left).

Step 4: Now that you have either one or three bottom screen images saved, open the file Full Bottom.PSD. Place the images across the image in the same way the placement lines are positioned, with 1 being the first frame, 2 being the second, and 3 being the third. If you are only using one image to create a static bottom screen, simply import and place the image three times.

Step 5: Save the finished bottom screen image as a PNG file and place it in the same folder as the PNG file for the top screen.

SECTION THREE: BACKGROUND MUSIC

An audio or video editing application (such as Audacity or Windows Movie Maker)

An archive program such as WinRAR

Step 1: First, visit brawlcustommusic.com and see if a song is there that you would like to use in your custom theme.

Step 2: If there is a song there that has the loop mode as "Normal", click on it and then download it as a BCSTM file. If the BCSTM file is less than 3,371,008 bytes (3.3mb), then you can place it into the same folder as your top and bottom screen image and skip the rest of this section. Note that the loop may not be the best, as it might be obvious and fade out and back in again.

Step 3: If there are no songs you want on brawlcustommusic.com, or the file is bigger than 3.3MB, you can also just create the song manually. Begin by going to YouTube.com to find your song, and then download it using a site such as clipconverter.cc or get it by other means and save it as a sound file. Don't worry if the file is over 3.3mb.

Step 4: Now import the sound file into your audio or video editing application. If the song has a looping section, try to identify the section where it loops and cut it so that it loops seamlessly. Make sure that the loop beings exactly on an interval of one second; such as at 2 seconds in or 10 seconds in, but not 2.5 seconds in. Here is an example of what I did to create the loop in my song file in the video editing application Sony Vegas. Essentially, there is the very first part of the song, and then the rest of the song is a looped section starting at the bold red line and ending at the end; that is how you can create seamlessly looping background music. If that is too confusing, you can simply make the point of looping at 0 seconds, and just cut the song so that the entire thing loops.

Step 5: Once you have a song that loops, remember the seconds of the interval where you made it loop, and then render/export the song from your program as a WAV file (preferably not MP3, as they aren't supported right away). However, if you absolutely must use an MP3, you can add this DLL file to the program later (in the directory tools/sox) which lets it support them. The program in question is BRSTM/BCSTM Conversion Tool​, which you will need to download and use next.

Step 6: Once you have BRSTM/BCSTM Conversion Tool, open it and make sure that "Limit bytes to" is checked and that it is set to 3,371,008. Then go to the Looping tab and click upwards on the seconds until you reach the interval where you made the song loop. Whilst you can type in times that are not an interval of one second, I recommend you don't as it can get fiddly. Once the byte limiting and looping is set, leave the options as they are and then click Convert audio to BRSTM and select your rendered WAV file from earlier. Note that there is no progress bar so the application will appear to freeze while it is converting.

Step 7: Once the BRSTM file has been created, select Convert BRSTM to BCSTM to convert the file into the format that we actually need. Once the BCSTM file is created, double check to make sure that the file is under or equal to 3.3mb and then place it into the folder with your theme's finished components. (You can delete the BRSTM file).

Step 8 (Optional): Download the program Foobar2000 and this component file to listen to the BCSTM file to check that it is working and looping correctly. This can save a lot of time as it is much quicker than checking it once it's on the 3DS. Alternatively, you can check it in advance if you don't have access to Ninjhax yet and are waiting for Ironhax. To install the component file into the program, open the program and select File, Preferences, Components, Install, select it, and then Apply. Without the component, the program won't be able to play the BCSTM file. To check to make sure the looping is working correctly, wait for the song to reach the end and then it should continue to play despite reaching the end; if you can't hear any change, then the song is looping seamlessly. Note that after several playthroughs, the program will automatically fade the song out and restart it; this is not a part of the file itself, but just something the program does.

SECTION FOUR: FOLDERS, SOUND EFFECTS, AND CREATING THE THEME FILE

Photoshop, or an alternative image editing software, if you would like to use custom folder icons

An archive program such as WinRAR, or an SD card reader for your computer and access to the Homebrew Launcher

Step 1: To begin this step, you will need to find a theme file which is already complete, so that you can edit it and turn it into the theme you have created; it's best to find a theme file which matches what you want for your theme the closest, such as choosing one which has the same folder style; that way, you won't need to edit as much later. The files you need are called body_LZ.BIN and bgm.BCSTM, however, these files are also called Bodycache.BIN and BgmCache.BIN respectively, when they are in your 3DS's theme cache. You can get these files in two ways. If you would like to use a custom theme from the internet, continue to Step 2, or if you would like to use an official theme from your 3DS, skip Step 2 and go to Step 3.

Step 2: To use a theme from the internet, download one from 3dsthemes.com (or this subreddit), and then you should have both a bgm.BCSTM and a body_LZ.BIN file in the archive that is downloaded. If the theme downloaded doesn't have those two files, try another one. Once you have the two files, continue to Step 4.

Step 3: To use an official theme to edit into your own theme, go onto your 3DS and set a "premium" theme, one that isn't a default one with basic colours, as the current active one (an example of a free one is the Sonic Boom theme). Then use [urlhttps://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenu_extdatatool/releases]ExtDataTool[/url], a homebrew program which can be launched from the Homebrew Launcher. When in ExtDataTool on the 3DS, select Activate cache and then Copy cache from ExtData to SD. When you take your 3DS's SD card, or MicroSD card, out and put it into your computer, you will see Bodycache.BIN and BgmCache.BIN, which you can move off the SD card and rename to body_LZ.BIN and bgm.BCSTM. If you are unsure of how to change the file extension from BIN to BCSTM, refer to this guide for Windows platforms.

Step 4: Once you have the two files, download the program YATA+ and select File, Open, and then select your body_LZ.BIN file.

Step 5: Select Top under the Images sidebar to the left and then select Edit and Import Image. Then select your top screen PNG file from your folder with your theme's finished components. If you get an error at this point, it is likely because your file wasn't placed into the Full Top.PSD template, or wasn't saved with the correct dimensions. Once your top screen image has been imported, do the same for the Bottom selection and use the PNG image with the three bottom screens placed next to each other.

Step 6: At this point, it's a good idea to click on Simulate and check to make sure your images appear the way that you want them to. You can use the left and right arrow keys to change the bottom screen image. Note that the bottom screen's icon overlay doesn't actually line up correctly with where the 3DS positions theses icons, as can be seen here. So just ignore the placement of the bottom screen icons, as they are mostly useless.

Step 7: Now, you can edit the button, folder and icon colours by selecting the Settings option. Alternatively, you can also create custom images to place on your folders and icons, much in the same way the top and bottom screen images were edited, by replacing Folder Closed, Folder Open, Border-46px, and Border-24px from the sidebar with your own custom images.

Step 8: You can also change the theme's sound effects for moving left and right and opening an application on the 3DS. This can be done by importing a CTR Wave Chunk file in a BIN format. As I am yet to get this to work, so I cannot explain how this is done. However, if someone can comment with a tutorial as to how this is done, that would be appreciated, as I can include a link to it here in the tutorial.

Step 9: Once you have edited the original theme and made it into your own, make sure that in Settings you have Enable use of BGM checked and then select File and then Save to replace the original body_LZ.BIN file. Then also delete the bgm.BCSTM file that came with the original BIN file and then replace it with the BCSTM file which was created previously with the BRSTM/BCSTM Conversion Tool and make sure it is named bgm.BCSTM.

SECTION FIVE: USING THE THEME ON YOUR 3DS

Disclaimer: Although there is very little risk of damage, I am not responsible for any damages you may cause to your 3DS system by following this section of the guide.

An SD card reader for your computer

Access to the Homebrew Launcher, or a different way of applying custom themes

The following steps are for use with the homebrew program ExtDataTool; however, the program CHMM can be used instead in similar ways, it's missing some of the features that ExtDataTool has, but is better in the fact that it alows you to change between multiple themes without having to copy them on and off the SD card.

Step 1: If you didn't before, download ExtDataTool and place the 3DSX file onto your 3DS's SD card in the directory SD:/3ds/3ds_homemenu_extdatatool. Then, also place your theme's body_LZ.BIN and bgm.BCSTM files into the same folder.

Step 2: Take your SD card from your computer to your 3DS and then select the default blank theme and set it as active on your 3DS, and then launch the Homebrew Launcher using whichever exploit you want to use.

Step 3: Launch ExtDataTool from the Homebrew Launcher and then press A on Enable persistent theme cache and then again on Copy theme data from SD to ExtData. Then exit ExtDataTool with the B button.

Step 4: Now simply exit the Homebrew Launcher by pressing Start and then A and you hopefully will have your custom theme applied on your 3DS.

SECTION SIX: TROUBLESHOOTING

If an error occurs, try the following:

Make sure the BCSTM file's extension is in ALL CAPITALS.

Try applying the blank, default theme in the Home Menu before trying to apply the custom one, making sure to select Enable persistent theme cache.

Try using ExtDataTools instead of CHMM, or vice verse.

Make sure you have the latest boot.3dsx file for people using IronHax/Ninjahax.

For The Homebrew Launcher, make sure you have any app in the folder structure as follows: SD:/3ds/"appname"/"appname".3dsx. The 3dsx file and folder must have the same name.

Try applying a theme made by someone else or an official theme if you're having trouble applying a theme at all.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:52:14 AM by Tomlanji, Reason: Added how to create themes guide. »

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Super Kami Guru approves this
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
This thread will teach you how to add homebrew to your 3DS.

What is Homebrew?
Homebrew is a feature that is added to your 3DS. It gives you a ton of more features, including helpful ones.
With Homebrew you can have:

GBA Emulator
SNES Emulator
Custom 3DS Themes
Disables Region-Locking

How do you get Homebrew on your 3DS? Its very simple. For one, check out this website.
The website above has its own guide, but I will just put in a guide here because you may be lazy.

Make sure you have the YouTube app on your 3DS.

-Update your 3DS to the latest version
-Download the Starter Kit from the website above.
-Turn off your 3DS
-Take the SD card out of your 3DS and place it into your PC
-Place the extracted files from the Starter Kit onto the ROOT of your SD Card
-Take the SD Card out of your PC and place it back into your 3DS.
-Go to your System Settings, choose your main internet connection and go to Edit Connection Settings"
-Scroll over to the right once, tap the DNS button
-Change the Auto Obtain DNS option to no. Then tap Detailed Setup.
-Change Primary DNS to the following: 107.211.140.0650
-Hit OK and Save
-Boot up the YouTube application
-Choose your firmware. If you are using an old 3DS, change the firmware to the latest version that has OLD by it.
-Wait

You will be transferred to the Homebrew Channel.

Remember these few things when you are in the Homebrew Channel.

-The Start button lets you go back to your homepage. Do not turn off your 3DS while in the Homebrew channel. I do not know if turning it off will cause issues. It didn't cause any for me, but you can never be too safe!

-The A button will let you select things, along with tapping the screen

-DO NOT CLOSE YOUR 3DS. This will cause your 3DS to freeze and have a black screen; requiring you to turn it off yourself. Again, I do not know if it will cause any issues.

-The Homebrew may not always work. It may crash or freeze your system. Simply try again.

I will update this guide with certain things like;
How to use/create custom themes
How to play GBA games
How to play SNES games

Unless someone else decides to add to this with their own guide that is.

Spoiler for What I did with the Custom Themes option:

Does this work for a New 3DS? I got one and even made a post about it. I have heard that the New 3DS method came out like 2 weeks ago.

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
Does this work for a New 3DS? I got one and even made a post about it. I have heard that the New 3DS method came out like 2 weeks ago.
Yeah, just during the firmware part, select NEW (or if there isn't a NEW option, just select the most recent one that doesn't have OLD by it).

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
I have 3 3ds. So I'm sort of willing to try this but what are the cons. I won't be doing this to my new 3ds because it's limited edition so , I'm not breaking it lol.

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Ohhhh baby, trying this out right now. I've needed something like this for mobile gaming for a while now. I feel like a handheld system would be better for things like Terranigma and the old Fire Emblem titles.

Can't wait for a quick guide to theme making. Want to do for my husbando, one with a chiptune from his shitty NES game and another for Surfing With the Alien. My girlfriend also imports a lot of games (she bought a Japanese 3DS), so disabling the region encoding would be useful too if I want to borrow them...

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Will doing this make it unable for me to update my 3DS or use the shop? I added custom firmware to one of my PSPs a long time ago, and I wasn't able to update it or use the shop without wrecking the firmware.

Yeah, I was right. Don't download the homebrew if you want to use the eshop or play online

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:30:23 PM by Mikecw, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
Will doing this make it unable for me to update my 3DS or use the shop? I added custom firmware to one of my PSPs a long time ago, and I wasn't able to update it or use the shop without wrecking the firmware.

Yeah, I was right. Don't download the homebrew if you want to use the eshop or play online

Good enough reason not to do this on my main 3ds then.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit

This is basically what I'm afraid might happen if I do this. I was going to ask but Mike did so first and even found the answer. Otherwise I'd be looking forward to try it out.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
I played Mega Man X on my 3DS, read the post, changed my internet back to normal, and tried to enter the E-Shop. Guess what happened...

Spoiler for Hidden:
It worked perfectly fine. Just change your internet back to the DNS thing if you want to access Homebrew. If you want to play online/enter E-shop, just change your internet settings back to normal (turn auto obtain DNS on instead of off)

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I played Mega Man X on my 3DS, read the post, changed my internet back to normal, and tried to enter the E-Shop. Guess what happened...

Spoiler for Hidden:
It worked perfectly fine. Just change your internet back to the DNS thing if you want to access Homebrew.
Too lazy to constantly change my DNS but I can configure two internet connections to the same WiFi and just change between them, right?
MarineCorps

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Super Kami Guru approves this
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Somebody should make this thread stickied.

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Somebody should make this thread stickied.

I agree, only if the answer to my question is yes. :P
MarineCorps

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
It doesnt work. I get stuck on the red screen. :I

Yeah so it either freezes on youtube, errors me out of it, or freezes up on the red screen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:54:12 PM by Roxas, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 01:33:03 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
Too lazy to constantly change my DNS but I can configure two internet connections to the same WiFi and just change between them, right?
I don't know, since the 3DS uses a main connection type of system. But changing the internet back to normal is literally just tapping YES on the auto-obtain DNS part. Then OK and Save.

Going to update the OP with a guide on how to put themes on your 3DS soon! (Themes created by others, not you creating themes)

It doesnt work. I get stuck on the red screen. :I

Yeah so it either freezes on youtube, errors me out of it, or freezes up on the red screen.
Gonna try and see what could fix this problem.

Added the downloadable themes guide.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:25:20 AM by Tomlanji, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 02:59:26 AM »

Offline kobob23

• Oolong's Wish
  • Honor: 10 / 3
    • View Profile
  • They took my candy... And I took their planet.
  • I am a: Majin
I have a 3ds

#Tolazytodoallthis
Marine Corps
 the peace of DBO is in our hands, and we WILL protect it

Signatures by Kaiza: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 05:07:45 AM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 0
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】

-Change Primary DNS to the following: 107.211.140.0650

Yeah little mistake there, it's actually 107.211.140.065
P.S: I tried this method and it worked =D pretty cool but the GBA emulator is slow as naughtyword and that's kinda all I cared about, so until we can play roms or some cool shit like that I'm not THAT interested.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 05:40:25 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile

Spoiler for Hidden:
It worked perfectly fine. Just change your internet back to the DNS thing if you want to access Homebrew. If you want to play online/enter E-shop, just change your internet settings back to normal (turn auto obtain DNS on instead of off)
What if Nintendo updates, and the homebrew is no longer compatible?

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 06:02:31 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
What if Nintendo updates, and the homebrew is no longer compatible?
They will only change their firmware to make the connection not work. As they have with every other instance of Homebrew.

Yeah little mistake there, it's actually 107.211.140.065
P.S: I tried this method and it worked =D pretty cool but the GBA emulator is slow as naughtyword and that's kinda all I cared about, so until we can play roms or some cool shit like that I'm not THAT interested.
Oh damn, I didn't notice I messed up D=

Adding SNES emulator guide soon.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:49 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
They will only change their firmware to make the connection not work. As they have with every other instance of Homebrew.
Oh damn, I didn't notice I messed up D=

Adding SNES emulator guide soon.
naughtyword SNES emulation, been doing that for years, I need a theme w/ music tutorial naughtyword.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
Still can't get mine to work >.>

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
Still can't get mine to work >.>
Well I'd try to find an answer on Google. Check over and make sure you followed the instructions as stated. If not, try looking at the site listed on the Homebrew section of the guide.

naughtyword SNES emulation, been doing that for years, I need a theme w/ music tutorial naughtyword.
Aye be patient naughtyword.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Alright, having some serious issues emulating certain games. This is the full list of games I've tried to get to work.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War: Works like a charm, but I don't know how to translate it using this emulator, if that's even possible. SMC file, not SFC.

Shin Megami Tensei: Works fine, as the translation is already on it, but the audio doesn't work. Another SMC file.

Illusion of Gaia: Get some "fast ROM, slow ROM" thing at the bottom. Game won't load, blank screen. SFC file.

Soul Blazer: Stops at the Enix logo and doesn't load. None of the ROM speed thing present for Illusion of Gaia.

Terranigma: Some bizarre "open bus" thing at the bottom. Works fine as far as I can tell beyond that.

I managed to get Soul Blazer to work with version 1.2, but the audio crackles badly on everything with that version. I'd have to imagine that my glitches have something to do with the relative obscurity of the games. I also tried converting Soul Blazer to a SMC file to see if that would change anything, but it didn't. Any tips to deal with this?

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Alright, having some serious issues emulating certain games. This is the full list of games I've tried to get to work.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War: Works like a charm, but I don't know how to translate it using this emulator, if that's even possible. SMC file, not SFC.

Shin Megami Tensei: Works fine, as the translation is already on it, but the audio doesn't work. Another SMC file.

Illusion of Gaia: Get some "fast ROM, slow ROM" thing at the bottom. Game won't load, blank screen. SFC file.

Soul Blazer: Stops at the Enix logo and doesn't load. None of the ROM speed thing present for Illusion of Gaia.

Terranigma: Some bizarre "open bus" thing at the bottom. Works fine as far as I can tell beyond that.

I managed to get Soul Blazer to work with version 1.2, but the audio crackles badly on everything with that version. I'd have to imagine that my glitches have something to do with the relative obscurity of the games. I also tried converting Soul Blazer to a SMC file to see if that would change anything, but it didn't. Any tips to deal with this?

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/snes/fire-emblem--seisen-no-keifu-english-translated/

Go to a naughtyword vintage stock, buy a V.1000 or V.1001 PSP for like $50, and emulate SNES, GBA, GBC, PSX, NES, Genesis, Master system, Sega CD, games at nearly perfect speeds on it instead. The 3DS isn't compatible with GBA games or SNES games properly. That's why Nintendo has none on the eshop. They had a hard enough time porting the GBA games for the ambassador program.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/snes/fire-emblem--seisen-no-keifu-english-translated/

Bueno! This version works like a charm.

Go to a naughtyword vintage stock, buy a V.1000 or V.1001 PSP for like $50, and emulate SNES, GBA, GBC, PSX, NES, Genesis, Master system, Sega CD, games at nearly perfect speeds on it instead. The 3DS isn't compatible with GBA games or SNES games properly. That's why Nintendo has none on the eshop. They had a hard enough time porting the GBA games for the ambassador program.

Already have one, and here's the thing. That would necessitate hauling around a second handheld system, and the New 3DS XL and PSP are both large systems. It's a matter of convenience.

3DS Homebrew Guides
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Bueno! This version works like a charm.

Already have one, and here's the thing. That would necessitate hauling around a second handheld system, and the New 3DS XL and PSP are both large systems. It's a matter of convenience.
Ok, I'll just have fun playing Megaman Legends, Megaman X3, Suikoden 2, SMT, Sonic CD, LSD Dream Simulator, Mother 3, Super Mario RPG, Megaman on the wonderswan, Harvest Moon back to nature, DBZ Legends, on my PSP while you struggle to emulate snes games.