* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • Today at 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • Today at 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\

Topic: Anime? Manga? What's the difference?  (Read 2044 times)

Anime? Manga? What's the difference?
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:16:49 AM »

Offline shay3100

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
Hey guys, lately I've seen talking about anime/manga. I was wondering what is the difference? I saw DB/DBZ/DBK/DBS.

Would be nice if someone could tell me the difference :)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:21:49 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
Manga = Comic book style. It's usually where the anime is first written instead of using a book or something. Also, most manga is made in black and white.

Anime = Animated, digital version of the manga. Usually in full color (since there might be black and white anime out there that I don't know about).
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:27:44 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
For the most part, the original manga (Japanese comics) is the source material by Akira Toriyama. The "canon" as it stands.

The anime frequently injected filler events that could not fit into the canon, and oftentimes simply made no sense or were found to be contradictory at one point or another by the manga (usually at a later point).

Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z are filler-filled anime adaptions of the 42 volume Dragon Ball manga. Dragon Ball Kai is the Dragon Ball Z anime with the majority of the filler removed (often to the point where it's missing aspects from the flow of time, making it flow poorly).

Things get a little odd starting with the 2008 Jump Special. Akira Toriyama directly worked on this, Battle of Gods, Fukkatsu no F/ Resurrection 'F', and the Dragon Ball Super anime.
The manga adaptions of those are done by an independent writer/artist that goes by the name of Toyataro, or something along those lines.

In other words, for the flow of the canon, it goes
Dragon Ball manga (42 volumes) > 2008+ anime specials/movies and Super.

Unless I missed the entire point of your question. XD

Manga = Comic book style. It's usually where the anime is first written instead of using a book or something. Also, most manga is made in black and white.

Anime = Animated, digital version of the manga. Usually in full color (since there might be black and white anime out there that I don't know about).
There's actually a full-color version of the manga now. And it looks glorious.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:28:28 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Putting it simply
Ones a moving picture the other is not
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:30:04 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

Pretty sure he asked the difference between manga and anime in general and not just Dragon Ball. :P

Get your shit together Nia, I just called you a genius earlier in another thread.
MarineCorps

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 03:41:01 AM »

Offline shay3100

• 1 Dragonball
    • View Profile
For the most part, the original manga (Japanese comics) is the source material by Akira Toriyama. The "canon" as it stands.

The anime frequently injected filler events that could not fit into the canon, and oftentimes simply made no sense or were found to be contradictory at one point or another by the manga (usually at a later point).

Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z are filler-filled anime adaptions of the 42 volume Dragon Ball manga. Dragon Ball Kai is the Dragon Ball Z anime with the majority of the filler removed (often to the point where it's missing aspects from the flow of time, making it flow poorly).

Things get a little odd starting with the 2008 Jump Special. Akira Toriyama directly worked on this, Battle of Gods, Fukkatsu no F/ Resurrection 'F', and the Dragon Ball Super anime.
The manga adaptions of those are done by an independent writer/artist that goes by the name of Toyataro, or something along those lines.

In other words, for the flow of the canon, it goes
Dragon Ball manga (42 volumes) > 2008+ anime specials/movies and Super.

There's actually a full-color version of the manga now. And it looks glorious.

Wow. thanks for all the information!!
Is there DB/DBS english manga or its just Japanish?

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:41:23 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Pretty sure he asked the difference between manga and anime in general and not just Dragon Ball. :P

Get your shit together Nia, I just called you a genius earlier in another thread.

Too smart for my own good! XD

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:44:13 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

The original language is Japanese but there's obviously people in the internet that edit it, changing texts to english, spanish, german, french, etc. The whole thing remains the same except for the conversation clouds and stuff.
MarineCorps

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 03:50:51 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

All 42 volumes of Dragon Ball are available in English (they've been split into two series, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z respectively, but the only real change is the numbering, and you can see the original volume number on the cover usually... as well as in the book itself).
There's also fan translations of the series on the net, but I'd skip them as the quality is really poor most of the time, and they flip the image.

As for DBS, there's only one chapter that's been released to the best of my knowledge... but I think someone found a translation somewhere on the net, and I imagine the quality is better than your average classic series scan.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:00 AM »

Offline shay3100

• 1 Dragonball
    • View Profile
Okie thanks everyone. You really helped me and solved my mystery. We do some searches to find the manga, thanks again!

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:58:35 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Let me see if I can explain this more simply.

"Anime" is the Japanese term for animation. It's a shortened form of an English word, as many English loan words are. "Manga" is the Japanese word for a comic.

Like Nia said, Dragon Ball (the series, on the whole) started out as a manga, more specifically, a black and white comic book (with some full color or four-color pages) serialized weekly in an anthology of comics targeted at the same demographic. The anime -- the cartoon -- is an animated adaptation of said comic. The anime takes slight liberties from the original comic, including adding plot lines and scenes, and some minor details are outright altered here and there. For instance, Tenshinhan never attempted to trap Piccolo Daimao in a rice cooker in the manga and it was a scene added for the anime.

The series has also received several theatrical films and specials over the course of its run. These are considered anime as well, but the films are also, well, animated films. These films normally do not have manga adaptations, though the ones produced from 2008 onward -- the JUMP special, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection 'F' -- all had manga adaptations produced after the films were finished production. Of note, these manga adaptations were not drawn by Akira Toriyama, the original writer and artist of Dragon Ball. Instead, he provided the storyboards for them. For the record, the current Dragon Ball Super is in the same boat as those movies and specials.

Dragon Ball GT and most of the films were produced as anime only, and with minimal involvement from Akira Toriyama, outside of some character designs.

The Dragon Ball fandom is a bit of a stickler about canonicity, which is a bit of a headache to explain, but it basically means what's considered "a part" of the series. The easiest way to explain it is to use the Bible, from which the term "canon" is derived from. Genesis is considered canon to every version of the Bible I'm personally aware of, but the majority of Christian denominations consider the Book of Enoch (a holy text that clearly ties into Judeo-Christian tradition) "non-canon", and the contents of the book aren't taken into account by the religions on the whole. Material that's considered non-canon to the Bible is called "apocrypha".

The fandom tends to treat anything that wasn't written by Akira Toriyama -- or produced with heavy involvement form him -- to basically be the series' equivalent of apocrypha. You might see GT and the movies mentioned to be "non-canon", and that's all it really means. The canonicity of things that Toriyama has been involved in before -- like Dragon Ball Online -- is occasionally debated, along with the JUMP tour. Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are almost always considered canon, though Dragon Ball Super's story may be set to supersede them, and is bound to lead to many headache-inducing conversations about what "canon" even is.

Okie thanks everyone. You really helped me and solved my mystery. We do some searches to find the manga, thanks again!

If you're interested in the manga, I wouldn't recommend pirating it because the series is subject to poor quality scanlations and the artwork is often mirrored, distorting it. The VIZ manga release is extremely affordable considering its length. I'd recommend stalking eBay for a full run of the series if you want to save money. Either that or try an online site that sells manga for a discount, or even purchase cheap versions of it like the VIZ Big editions from Amazon.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:03 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Let me see if I can explain this more simply.

"Anime" is the Japanese term for animation. It's a shortened form of an English word, as many English loan words are. "Manga" is the Japanese word for a comic.

Like Nia said, Dragon Ball (the series, on the whole) started out as a manga, more specifically, a black and white comic book (with some full color or four-color pages) serialized weekly in an anthology of comics targeted at the same demographic. The anime -- the cartoon -- is an animated adaptation of said comic. The anime takes slight liberties from the original comic, including adding plot lines and scenes, and some minor details are outright altered here and there. For instance, Tenshinhan never attempted to trap Piccolo Daimao in a rice cooker in the manga and it was a scene added for the anime.

The series has also received several theatrical films and specials over the course of its run. These are considered anime as well, but the films are also, well, animated films. These films normally do not have manga adaptations, though the ones produced from 2008 onward -- the JUMP special, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection 'F' -- all had manga adaptations produced after the films were finished production. Of note, these manga adaptations were not drawn by Akira Toriyama, the original writer and artist of Dragon Ball. Instead, he provided the storyboards for them. For the record, the current Dragon Ball Super is in the same boat as those movies and specials.

Dragon Ball GT and most of the films were produced as anime only, and with minimal involvement from Akira Toriyama, outside of some character designs.

The Dragon Ball fandom is a bit of a stickler about canonicity, which is a bit of a headache to explain, but it basically means what's considered "a part" of the series. The easiest way to explain it is to use the Bible, from which the term "canon" is derived from. Genesis is considered canon to every version of the Bible I'm personally aware of, but the majority of Christian denominations consider the Book of Enoch (a holy text that clearly ties into Judeo-Christian tradition) "non-canon", and the contents of the book aren't taken into account by the religions on the whole. Material that's considered non-canon to the Bible is called "apocrypha".

The fandom tends to treat anything that wasn't written by Akira Toriyama -- or produced with heavy involvement form him -- to basically be the series' equivalent of apocrypha. You might see GT and the movies mentioned to be "non-canon", and that's all it really means. The canonicity of things that Toriyama has been involved in before -- like Dragon Ball Online -- is occasionally debated, along with the JUMP tour. Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are almost always considered canon, though Dragon Ball Super's story may be set to supersede them, and is bound to lead to many headache-inducing conversations about what "canon" even is.

If you're interested in the manga, I wouldn't recommend pirating it because the series is subject to poor quality scanlations and the artwork is often mirrored, distorting it. The VIZ manga release is extremely affordable considering its length. I'd recommend stalking eBay for a full run of the series if you want to save money. Either that or try an online site that sells manga for a discount, or even purchase cheap versions of it like the VIZ Big editions from Amazon.

Dumke's reply was way simpler. :P
MarineCorps

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 10:55:47 AM »

Offline Lycan212

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
@Tofu which thread?!??!?!?!?!?!!? 0.0

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
@Tofu which thread?!??!?!?!?!?!!? 0.0

Damn, it was so long ago I can't remember already. I do recall that Nia said something earlier that day and I called him a genius.
MarineCorps

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Just try and get on my level. I dare you.
When I was like 11, I thought anime was an artstyle like what is actually shoujo-ish in reality. Pointy chins, skinny bodies, you get the picture.

Spoiler for Hidden:

And I thought manga was the more roundish features with more emphasis on detail.

Spoiler for Hidden: