:uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:40 PM
    Sorry. Mourning makes me stupid. and I apologize for spamming the shoutbox. XD
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
    I POSTED A DIFFERENT LINK LIKE AN IDIOT. HERE'S THE REAL ONE. [link]

Topic: Metal Gear Solid Series  (Read 1871 times)

Metal Gear Solid Series
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 40 / 0
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
  • I am a: Shadow Knight
Hi all,

I've recently got into Metal Gear Solid through playing the most recent addition in the series, Ground Zeroes. This is my first time playing any MGS game and I was curious to see if anyone has played through all the games in the series?

Are they worth playing and which one would you say is your favourite?

I really like the who concept behind this game and can't believe I am this late to the party...

EDIT: I have watched this video regarding the new MGS being released September 1.

Warning, spoilers.
Spoiler for Hidden:

I especially like what they are doing with Metal Gear Online, co-operative multiplayer and base infiltration looks fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:27:21 PM by keredvin »
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite part of the internet".

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:23:07 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
I've played a lot of them, but not all of them. And yes, most of them are worth playing through.

Metal Gear - It's really, really old, but it's a surprisingly complex game from the 8-bit era. Don't play the NES version, though (it was horrifically butchered, and even Hideo Kojima said they ruined it). The MSX version is usually included with Metal Gear Solid 3 (including the HD rereleases).

Metal Gear 2 - The original one never came out in the US, but like the original Metal Gear, it's usually included with MGS3. If MGS3 comes with the original Metal Gear, it's gonna come with Metal Gear 2.

Snake's Revenge - This is a non-canon, American made sequel to the original Metal Gear (more specifically, the NES version). You can skip this one, as it's just plain derpy.

Metal Gear Solid - This is the one that really put the series on the map, and with good reason. The PS1 version can be found in a lot of box sets, and in PlayStation Network's PS1 classics, so  it's not hard to find at all.
However, if you're able, I whole heartedly suggest getting the GameCube remake, "The Twin Snakes." It basically recreates the game with MGS2's engine, and is a lot more player friendly. It's a little cheesier when it comes to the cutscenes, but the game mechanics are much better, and the majority of the voice actors reprised their roles. But if you can't get it, the PS1 original is still pretty good.

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel- This is a non-canon GameBoy Color game, and has no real impact on the series (roughly taking place at the same time as the PS1 MGS). It's pretty fun, but you can skip this one.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - This one is included in the HD collection, and probably is the easiest game to find in the series. It's also included in some of the box sets, but I don't know which of those is best. The story is really weird, but the game is a lot of fun, and you'll probably find yourself doing really stupid things just for the hell of it (such as shooting at seagulls with a heat seeking rocket launcher).
If you pick up the PS2 version, make sure you get the Substance rerelease, and not Sons of Liberty, since Substance includes a bunch of additions. I'm pretty sure the box sets/HD rereleases/etc all include Substance, though.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - This one is also easy to find and got an HD collection upgrade. There's a lot of differences gameplay wise, with a much greater emphasis on stealth than any of the previous ones.
Like MGS2, if you go after the PS2 version, make sure you get the Subsistence version, and not the original Snake Eater release, as it has an extra disc, including the original two Metal Gear games. The HD rerelease, or at least the Vita version that I have, has Subsistence, but is lacking some really funny bonus videos. However, whether this is just cut from the PSVita version and is included on the PS3 version, I don't know. It does include the original two games though, so that's not an issue.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - I watched a friend play through some of it, but haven't played it myself. It looks good, but just to warn you, you'll have to sit through a lot of install screens (it installs between chapters to save room on your hard drive), but what really makes it rough is that the game has cutscenes longer than the average movie, so make sure you have a lot of time free.

For the rest of the games, you'd have to ask someone else, but hopefully that will help. Kiyza knows more about the series than I do, though. XD

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:13:34 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
It's funny that you posted this. I'm a pretty big fan of the MGS series myself. In fact, while I'm typing this post, I'm finishing up MGS4 (it's loading on my TV right now). And so far from what you've said Nia, I have to agree with everything. Though my favourite MGS game is MGS1, I think all of them did a pretty good job.

As for MGS5: Ground Zeroes. I've never played that one and I don't think I want to. I don't know what it's about but from what I've heard, it's a great game. The only problems is that the original voice actor doesn't act as Solid Snake. As well, the $40 game lasts a total of 2 hours of gameplay. This is just from what I've heard though.

In anycase, MGS is a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys stealth mission games like Splinter Cell.
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:30:26 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
It's funny that you posted this. I'm a pretty big fan of the MGS series myself. In fact, while I'm typing this post, I'm finishing up MGS4 (it's loading on my TV right now). And so far from what you've said Nia, I have to agree with everything. Though my favourite MGS game is MGS1, I think all of them did a pretty good job.

As for MGS5: Ground Zeroes. I've never played that one and I don't think I want to. I don't know what it's about but from what I've heard, it's a great game. The only problems is that the original voice actor doesn't act as Solid Snake. As well, the $40 game lasts a total of 2 hours of gameplay. This is just from what I've heard though.

In anycase, MGS is a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys stealth mission games like Splinter Cell.

I think they lowered it down to $30, but yeah... Ground Zeroes is stupidly expensive for what is ultimately a demo. A friend of mine bought it thinking that there would be more to it as time passed. He's seriously disappointed. XD
I have to wonder if he's gonna shell out for the Phantom Pain.

And I agree. Kiefer Sutherland is a poor replacement for David Hayter as the voice of Snake.

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
Thanks for your input guys!

I managed to pick up MGS: Integral from a pawn shop. Which game is this in the timeline? MGS 1?

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I really love Metal Gear Solid, as Nia has said. MGS2 is one of my favorite video games period, and overall my favorite in terms of the actual narrative presented in it. The series overall definitely has a high spot in my heart, though I haven't yet played MGS4 due to my lack of a PS3. I'm not looking forward to spoilers, and I'm very bent out of shape over Kojima's recent falling out with Konami. I hope it doesn't affect the final game for MGSV.

I managed to pick up MGS: Integral from a pawn shop. Which game is this in the timeline? MGS 1?

Integral is an upgraded version of MGS1 with some added gameplay features and the VR missions that were originally standalone.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
The series overall definitely has a high spot in my heart, though I haven't yet played MGS4 due to my lack of a PS3. I'm not looking forward to spoilers, and I'm very bent out of shape over Kojima's recent falling out with Konami. I hope it doesn't affect the final game for MGSV.

I just finished MGS4 an hour ago for the first time. I have to say it's definitely worth a shot and is a fulfilling conclusion to the series...before MGS5 happened. I'm quite amazed with the amount of detail and work they put into the entire series as a whole. You can really tell that MGS4 was probably meant to be the final MGS game.
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:40:18 PM »

Offline Xicer

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 19
    • View Profile
  • I hate you all
  • I am a: Ultimate Majin
If you have a ps4 you can get ground zeroes for free. Tbf it does cost a lot of money to say it's a really short game but I guess that explains why they gave it out for free.

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
If you have a ps4 you can get ground zeroes for free. Tbf it does cost a lot of money to say it's a really short game but I guess that explains why they gave it out for free.

That's why I picked it up, Ground Zeroes still costs $60 here in Australia and there was no way I'd pay that for a game that last 2 hours.

It's a quality game, short, but I was determined to get that 100% so it took me around 20-30 hours to complete. If The Phantom Pain is anything like GZ, it'll be a epic game.

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:40:39 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Just a heads up about the Phantom Pain... it seems like they're basically kicking Hideo Kojima away from it, so be warned that it could wind up being a flop (they've all but removed him from the credits it seems).
It might still turn out well, but I figured it was worth a mention.

I also forgot to mention Metal Gear Rising: Revengence.
Honestly, I'd skip this one. It's not a stealth game, instead trying to be an over-the-top action game, but... it frankly falls flat at it. It's not really much fun as an action game, due to a sluggish feeling, and it's probably the only Metal Gear game I've ever had freeze on me.
It doesn't seem very integral to the plot, serving as a bridge between MGS2 and MGS4 (MGS3 was a prequel).
But this is just my take on it, and a lot of people did have fun with it.

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:16:32 AM »

Offline Xicer

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 19
    • View Profile
  • I hate you all
  • I am a: Ultimate Majin
That's why I picked it up, Ground Zeroes still costs $60 here in Australia and there was no way I'd pay that for a game that last 2 hours.

It's a quality game, short, but I was determined to get that 100% so it took me around 20-30 hours to complete.

I tried Ground Zeroes but just I couldn't get into it tbh. I'll most likely try it again after I complete the Witcher 3.

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
Just a heads up about the Phantom Pain... it seems like they're basically kicking Hideo Kojima away from it, so be warned that it could wind up being a flop (they've all but removed him from the credits it seems).

Yeah, I've read the reports surrounding the Kojima/Konami break up. There is a chance it could affect the game but I imagine since it is being released on the 1st September, the core of game should be completed. I guess E3 will tell us if they have screwed it up.

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
    • View Profile
    • giphy
  • I am Sparagas! The ultimate saiyan warrior!
  • I am a: Martial Artist
I think Konami released a statement a while back saying Kojima would finish the game himself so im pretty sure the game will be just fine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:42:20 PM by e_black162_2 »

Metal Gear Solid Series
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 01:27:20 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I think Konami released a statement a while back saying Kojima would finish the game himself so im pretty sure the game will be just fine.

But poor Silent Hills... ;_;

Well, if the crazy dude is gonna finish MGS5, that's good. Still, if he, Koji Igarashi, and even Japan-only game developers are leaving the company, what does Konami even have left?