• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:40 PM
    Sorry. Mourning makes me stupid. and I apologize for spamming the shoutbox. XD
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
    I POSTED A DIFFERENT LINK LIKE AN IDIOT. HERE'S THE REAL ONE. [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
    There you go, Lati. Fixed it for ya.
  • November 17, 2017, 03:32:58 PM
    [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:31:00 PM
    There we go. Get yourself depressed by listening to Boogie Back. ;_;
  • November 17, 2017, 03:30:28 PM
    Woops. Messed it up. [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:27:39 PM
    Here's a way better tribute: [youtube]4BMcZPLI75U[/youtube]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
    Heresy
  • November 17, 2017, 02:55:16 PM
    Oops it’s the English one . But it’s pretty much just as good .
  • November 17, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
    Oh I was beaten to it ~ anyway  in honor of Bulma [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 02:53:47 PM
    Rip Bulma
  • November 17, 2017, 01:40:58 PM
    Hiromi Tsuru, the Japanese voice of Bulma, passed away.
  • November 17, 2017, 09:17:01 AM
    Silly Luffy.  Yamcha isn't even in our guild!
  • November 17, 2017, 07:47:03 AM
    love yourself xD
  • November 17, 2017, 05:26:10 AM
    Luffy, I'm lonely. Please love me.
  • November 17, 2017, 02:01:32 AM
    O0
  • November 16, 2017, 12:41:44 PM
    :devildbo:
  • November 16, 2017, 08:31:03 AM
    :devildbo:
  • November 16, 2017, 08:30:43 AM
    *update*: [link]
  • November 16, 2017, 08:29:02 AM
    offf... [link]
  • November 16, 2017, 05:30:39 AM
    MC > Whatever your guild is
  • November 16, 2017, 02:26:31 AM
    [link]
  • November 15, 2017, 06:11:58 AM
    Monster hunter world needs to be released already .
  • November 15, 2017, 02:07:46 AM
    @Nia yes
  • November 14, 2017, 11:09:16 PM
    you can't deal with my awesomeness....
  • November 14, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
    You tryin' to steal people from my guild?
  • November 14, 2017, 04:10:08 PM
    Our guild is fun sometimes. You should come visit.

Topic: How Many of You Actually Know What RNG Is?  (Read 1598 times)

How Many of You Actually Know What RNG Is?
« on: June 07, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Seriously it gets annoying when people make comebacks or hate comments about stuff being "too easy" or "ruining the game." Xenoverse's RNG got a lot of hate and I'm pretty sure a lot of them didn't even know what RNG meant. People making comebacks about certain suggestions without regarding the RNG system for DBO is also annoying.

So yeah, who here actually KNOWS what RNG is and what role it plays in a lot of games? Oh, and for those who don't know RNG stands for "Random Number Generator."

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »

Offline Darkclox

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Hollow
  • I am a: Dende Priest
So what's the point of this thread? No matter how many times I read the subject I can't find a way to answer this. Not trying to be offensive tho. (Seriously, I am not!)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 13 / 0
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Still a long way to go~♪
  • I am a: Human
I know what it is, I know how it works and I made a few for my own Games.
Now what?  :r_worried:

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
So what's the point of this thread? No matter how many times I read the subject I can't find a way to answer this. Not trying to be offensive tho. (Seriously, I am not!)
The point is to see how many people legitimately don't know about this system when they make hate comments or comebacks about certain features and aspects of a game. Hardcore gamers in particular should know about the RNG system because chances are they have played at least one game that uses this system.

Also, if there's no point to this thread than there shouldn't be any point to Crane's virgin thread.

I know what it is, I know how it works and I made a few for my own Games.
Now what?  :r_worried:
Good. Gooooooood.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Are there actually that many on here, that don't know what RNG is? What Threads and hate comments/comebacks are you talking about? Wouldn't it have been better to address this IN the Thread where the hate is appearently happening? O.o

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
Let's see. Like I've said in my last few posts, my headache is not letting me think straight but I'll forget to post in this thread later since it already registered it as read. I'll try my best to say what I know about RNG so you can tell me if I'm wrong or not.

RNG, like you said, means "Random Number Generator" and it usually defines the chances of getting a item dropped, an upgrade done or a critical hit. It can also be used in stuff other than games but the concept is barely used for other stuff.

When you have 90% critical chance, it means that out of 100 hits 90 should be critical but maybe, the RNG gods are against you and even with 90% crit, only 10 of those 100 hits actually are critical.

That's as far as my headache lets me reply... I can't really think of many more explanations other than that at this point but I'm pretty sure I got the basics down.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 03:31:24 PM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
Are there actually that many on here, that don't know what RNG is? What Threads and hate comments/comebacks are you talking about? Wouldn't it have been better to address this IN the Thread where the hate is appearently happening? O.o
It's not just one specific thread. A lot of threads I've seen here and on DBOG forums have people who don't know what RNG is or bother to take it into consideration. As I said, the upgrading system is one of the big discussions but it's not the only one I'm referring to.

For me personally, I've played enough games to know how it operates, what it does exactly, and how terrible it can be. Hell I even learned how to abuse it in Pokemon to get perfect Pokemon without using a Gameshark, Action Replay, etc.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 04:05:25 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek

Yes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:20:08 AM by Luke[Dumke] »
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka

Yes.
You always do know how to bright up threads like these. :D

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
It's not just one specific thread. A lot of threads I've seen here and on DBOG forums have people who don't know what RNG is or bother to take it into consideration. As I said, the upgrading system is one of the big discussions but it's not the only one I'm referring to.
Checked some Suggestion Threads, especially yours and didn't see any hate or ignorant comments about RNG.
In F2P Games, RNG is basically Chance that's against you, so you'll get hooked on the Game, play it longer and eventually buy stuff from the CashShop. I doubt that there are that many people not realizing/knowing/understanding that. I honestly never met anyone who didn't understand the basic principle behind RNG.

For me personally, I've played enough games to know how it operates, what it does exactly, and how terrible it can be. Hell I even learned how to abuse it in Pokemon to get perfect Pokemon without using a Gameshark, Action Replay, etc.
I also know what (P)RNG abuse in Pokémon is and how it works, but you can't compare that to F2P (P)RNG or this situation. You were only able to abuse the (P)RNG because People ripped the Games apart, learned how exactly everything works and made tools for you that help abuse the hell out of it. How is this the Systems fault? Why is that terrible RNG? There is no such thing as true randomness in Games, there's always a pattern you could abuse if you know how the Game works.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 05:13:07 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
Checked some Suggestion Threads, especially yours and didn't see any hate or ignorant comments about RNG.
In F2P Games, RNG is basically Chance that's against you, so you'll get hooked on the Game, play it longer and eventually buy stuff from the CashShop. I doubt that there are that many people not realizing/knowing/understanding that. I honestly never met anyone who didn't understand the basic principle behind RNG.
It's more on the DBOG forums really, but that's probably something I shouldn't talk about. Still, I wanted to know how many people knew about the system. It's no different than the thread about who actually played the game and such.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 02:24:07 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
It's more on the DBOG forums really, but that's probably something I shouldn't talk about. Still, I wanted to know how many people knew about the system. It's no different than the thread about who actually played the game and such.
Haha, I see I see. I just found it strange, because you mentioned hating and stuff and I thought I missed something. At the end of the day it's really just a yes or no question. You should've added a (straw)poll or something. =P
Also something I wanted to add: You could know what (P)RNG is and understand its use in Games but NOT know how exactly it works in a specific Game, as every Game's RNG works differently. The Methods you use for Pokémon wouldn't work with any other (RPG-)Game.
Also People don't have to know how exactly (P)RNGs work in order to talk and/or discuss about Stuff that involves it. Like your Topic here with the Dogi/Upgrade Stuff. One can speak from experience. If someone likes how breaking worked in DBO and is against your/this Idea then there's nothing wrong with that and this opinion is as valid as any other, even if the person doesn't know what (P)RNG is and how exactly it works in DBO(R). That's neither hate nor ignorance.

Same with the XenoVerse Example you mentioned in your first Post. People disliked the "(P)RNG", because it's stupid. It's a Fighting Game so if you get good stuff or not should depend on your Skill. That's how it usually works: BEAT CHALLENGE MODE WITH CHARACTER X ON HYPER FAQ MAI RAIFU MODE TO GET SUPER CHARACTER E! How exactly does XenoVerse handle this? You beat a "quest" perfect with no Damage or fought perfectly fine. Your Reward? Nothing. Then you fight like crap and barely make it... DING DING DING JACKPOT! Like... what? Your skill doesn't matter, it's not a challenge at all, it's misplaced (as in wrong Genre) and all it does is unnecessarily extent the playtime. You already payed the full price for the Game, there's no need to use these cheap F2P mechanics.
I can understand where people are coming from when they say they hate this kind of (P)RNG.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 02:28:23 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Just try and get on my level. I dare you.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
RNG is shit. Just like RPGs are shit in general.

IMO, the best rpg would be one that controls like a mario platformer with a huge world to explore like in zelda, with all your actions being what decides things that the RNG takes care of in most rpgs. So, skill over luck in the highest order. Maybe with a little 2-d fighter style combo/canceling system too.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 02:35:36 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
Haha, I see I see. I just found it strange, because you mentioned hating and stuff and I thought I missed something. At the end of the day it's really just a yes or no question. You should've added a (straw)poll or something. =P
Also something I wanted to add: You could know what (P)RNG is and understand its use in Games but NOT know how exactly it works in a specific Game, as every Game's RNG works differently. The Methods you use for Pokémon wouldn't work with any other (RPG-)Game.
Also People don't have to know how exactly (P)RNGs work in order to talk and/or discuss about Stuff that involves it. Like your Topic here with the Dogi/Upgrade Stuff. One can speak from experience. If someone likes how breaking worked in DBO and is against your/this Idea then there's nothing wrong with that and this opinion is as valid as any other, even if the person doesn't know what (P)RNG is and how exactly it works in DBO(R). That's neither hate nor ignorance.

Same with the XenoVerse Example you mentioned in your first Post. People disliked the "(P)RNG", because it's stupid. It's a Fighting Game so if you get good stuff or not should depend on your Skill. That's how it usually works: BEAT CHALLENGE MODE WITH CHARACTER X ON HYPER FAQ MAI RAIFU MODE TO GET SUPER CHARACTER E! How exactly does XenoVerse handle this? You beat a "quest" perfect with no Damage or fought perfectly fine. Your Reward? Nothing. Then you fight like crap and barely make it... DING DING DING JACKPOT! Like... what? Your skill doesn't matter, it's not a challenge at all, it's misplaced (as in wrong Genre) and all it does is unnecessarily extent the playtime. You already payed the full price for the Game, there's no need to use these cheap F2P mechanics.
I can understand where people are coming from when they say they hate this kind of (P)RNG.
Fair enough. You've definitely made a value post right. In fact...*gives you a +1*
Also, is it bad that I actually don't mind the RNG system Xenoverse uses? XD

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 02:39:16 AM »

Offline Bardock

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 85 / 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
  • Legendary warrior.
Its like when you kill a mob or something

you can see it as a dice that gets rolled and each number has his own drop attached to it or nothing of course?

amiright?

I explained it kinda weird but i never was good at explaining things
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

like and subscribe please

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 02:57:28 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
Its like when you kill a mob or something

you can see it as a dice that gets rolled and each number has his own drop attached to it or nothing of course?

amiright?

I explained it kinda weird but i never was good at explaining things
That's one way of looking at it yeah.

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 03:12:47 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Also, is it bad that I actually don't mind the RNG system Xenoverse uses? XD
No no no, don't get me wrong. Should've worded that differently.  It's absolutely OK if you (or anyone for that matter) (doesn't) like this/any (P)RNG. But thinking in somebody else's shoes can help you understand other peoples standpoint a little better. Personally I find it a little more exciting if they implement (P)RNG in Turn-Based RPGs, like Pokémon or Golden Sun. Coudln't pinpoint why exactly, though. I just do. xD
To each his own, I guess.