• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 03:09:39 AM
    Planet of the Great Apes
  • Today at 01:59:29 AM
    high hopes for that movie xD
  • Today at 01:59:23 AM
    :smugdbo: [link]
  • Yesterday at 04:24:05 AM
    "....grenades going off in your face" is a metaphor for "...if players go mad over bugs and problems" etc.... xD
  • Yesterday at 04:21:29 AM
    dumke gonna ask him questions like the instructor here...and the dude gonna answer like the new dude xD [link]
  • December 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM
    interestinngg,  a new recruit
  • December 15, 2017, 01:05:20 AM
    Pm Me.
  • December 14, 2017, 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • December 14, 2017, 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • December 14, 2017, 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing

Topic: Power Levels and You  (Read 1134 times)

Power Levels and You
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:07:54 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Okay, more serious talk discussion because the last thread went a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.

It's obviously not a secret that talking about power levels is a large part of Dragon Ball's fandom, be it for whatever reason. The in-universe forum of fansite Kanzenshuu is cluttered with people talking about who's stronger than who when it was once about, well, discussing the series from an in-universe perspective. Some of the threads I've seen on there have been absolutely laughable, perhaps most notably, "How many multiverses can Goku bench press?" I wish that was a joke, I really do, but I can probably dig up the thread if asked.

It's obviously not just Dragon Ball that falls into this trap. There's something of a small community of people who like to shoot the shit about this kind of thing when it comes to comics and anime especially, but with a lot of fiction in general. Outside of that subculture, comic book fans in particular often view them as an annoyance because they're distracting from the story. I've personally found them rather irritating on account of calling good storytelling "jobbing" or whatever their buzzword is for when they think a character should be all-powerful, and it doesn't help that I'm rather fond of characters who are infamous online for their measure of strength. In anime, it varies by the fandom, but people who enjoy shounen often embrace it, as is the case with Dragon Ball.

Furthermore, a lot of people seem to have a particular fixation on "proving" (as if anything was ever "proved" through an internet argument) that their favorite character is the strongest. I'm not one who particularly cares for these types of debates, but I don't think you have to be to realize that there are some rough levels of strength and most people's favorite characters aren't all that and a bag of chips, which is part of the reason I'll occasionally pop in on these types of discussions and bring a few more facts to the table.

My question is, why are so many people obsessed with power levels, both literally and in other works of fiction?

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Power Levels and You
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »

Offline Rogue

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 15 / 3
    • View Profile
  • Praise the Radiant God! Jr. Master of Radiant Dawn
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
So we know what character is the strongest.

Dawning a new Radiant Strength
Join Radiant Dawn

Power Levels and You
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline kobob23

• Oolong's Wish
  • Honor: 10 / 3
    • View Profile
  • They took my candy... And I took their planet.
  • I am a: Majin
Back in my day in DBO anyone that has a power level that can break a scouter is considered "Strong"
Marine Corps
 the peace of DBO is in our hands, and we WILL protect it

Signatures by Kaiza: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

Power Levels and You
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
People like numbers . Or having somthing that measurable , when there is something immeasurable people typically have a problem with that .

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

Power Levels and You
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline Parrish

• 6 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 13 / 5
    • View Profile
  • Dab
Just like Rogue said, PL measures how strong you are. People will want to know everyones PL, so they can prove who is stronger than whom.
"I am the stone that the builder refused."

Don't you let out that antidote...

Power Levels and You
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
So we know what character is the strongest.

But here's the thing. Why does that actually matter? I don't see how knowing who the strongest character in a work of fiction enhances one's enjoyment of it. For that matter, in most works of fiction (excluding things like shounen action series and video games with statistics and such), strength tends to not always be the determining factor when two characters fight. Heck, I've seen people trying to debate the strengths of characters from works of fiction with virtually no action in them, generally considered works of art, like Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. What drives people to do this?

People like numbers . Or having somthing that measurable , when there is something immeasurable people typically have a problem with that .

Yeah, but after a certain point, numbers start being meaningless to begin with. I mean, the human mind can hardly understand how big the Earth is. To put the notion of destroying it in a numerical figure is absurd because the numbers wouldn't be comparable to anything we understand to begin with. I don't really see how numbers in particular factor in in that aspect.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Power Levels and You
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »

Offline Toragos

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 1
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Fighter
Well its fun to watch the hole series of DB and DBZ and see who was strong at that specific time. Thats just me though. I always liked Vegeta and he is my favorite character of all, I sure have a second thats Piccolo. Anyways powerlevels was not important at some point, but in the story it ment alot of things. for ex. Frieza cough cough he looked kinda small for a superior boss for his army so they had to tell about how strong he was, I got another one vegeta when he was with Nappa. Vegeta didnt look stronger than Nappa but the powerlevel tells us alot. Even if people dont like it its a important factor in the story, also for the moral in the story.

"physics and looks doesnt determine how strong you might be"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:41:41 PM by Toragos »
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."

Power Levels and You
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Now I have the excuse to post this!

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

Power Levels and You
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »

Offline Toragos

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 1
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Fighter

Haha lol Nia :D

I would like to add something more.

Lets take the battles on planet Namek, all soldiers of friezas army wore scouters, if they didnt how would they even find Vegeta or gohan for that matter. By finding there powerlevel ofc.

I do think as well that the messurement of powerlevels was a little bit weird because some of the characters could change their powerlevel by powering up.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:53:19 PM by Toragos, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."

Power Levels and You
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
It's this entire concept that I'm trying to avoid with my DBZ FC Saphi. Nine times out of ten the winner of the battle is based on the fact they have the higher power level, which is stupid because it completely takes away from strategies and what not. The series "The Seven Deadly Sins" has also started incorporating the power level and so far the first bad guy who had a high power level completely dominated the main cast.

Power Levels and You
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline Stormfall

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Bumblebee
  • I am a: Majin

^^^^so tru

Power Levels and You
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile

Nice thread, but can Goku even beat Kinnikuman? And no I'm not talking about Kaiju extermination arc Kinnikuman, I'm talking about Kinnikuman with a chojin kyodo of 70,000,000 through the use of his kajiba no kuso djikara with not only the 48 Yonjūhachi no Satsujin Waza but also the 52 Gojuuni no Kansetsu Waza taught to him by Prince Kamehame and his Uchū Ryokō that sends opponents flying to pluto and his impenetrable Niku no Kaaten stance.

Power Levels and You
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 05:15:53 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Just try and get on my level. I dare you.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master

Nice thread, but can Goku even beat Kinnikuman? And no I'm not talking about Kaiju extermination arc Kinnikuman, I'm talking about Kinnikuman with a chojin kyodo of 70,000,000 through the use of his kajiba no kuso djikara with not only the 48 Yonjūhachi no Satsujin Waza but also the 52 Gojuuni no Kansetsu Waza taught to him by Prince Kamehame and his Uchū Ryokō that sends opponents flying to pluto and his impenetrable Niku no Kaaten stance.

Why is it that I'm always offline when Mike is at his most hilarious? (-.- )-sigh-