• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 03:09:39 AM
    Planet of the Great Apes
  • Today at 01:59:29 AM
    high hopes for that movie xD
  • Today at 01:59:23 AM
    :smugdbo: [link]
  • Yesterday at 04:24:05 AM
    "....grenades going off in your face" is a metaphor for "...if players go mad over bugs and problems" etc.... xD
  • Yesterday at 04:21:29 AM
    dumke gonna ask him questions like the instructor here...and the dude gonna answer like the new dude xD [link]
  • December 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM
    interestinngg,  a new recruit
  • December 15, 2017, 01:05:20 AM
    Pm Me.
  • December 14, 2017, 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • December 14, 2017, 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • December 14, 2017, 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing

Topic: Age of Ultron Quick Thoughts/Quick Review  (Read 2500 times)

Age of Ultron Quick Thoughts/Quick Review
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Super Kami Guru approves this
  • I am a: Kaioken Master

So my friends and I went to go see Age of Ultron.

The actual review is in the spoiler, but if you want a spoiler free quick review, look below the Spoiler. Thanks.

WARNING: Spoilers! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Spoiler for Hidden:
So first off, I liked the movie. I liked the plot, and I liked the character development. The thing that is my my main issue in ULTRON
Yes, James Spadier plays a really good Ultron, and gets the philosophical side of things right, like Ultron is known for.

Ultron might be a good MCU villian, but dosen't get that epic feeling of 'breaking your spirits AND your body'
Also, Ultron when having those philosphical talk with characters... It's pretty much only Ironman. He only rats on Tony and his wrong doings; when ironically, he is doing the same thing. They both think they are doing the right thing and pushing it on everyone else.

This might be a good parallel, but he dosen't talk to any other characters, at all. All those character flaws the characters deal with after the Ultron threat is left up to Scarlet Witch, who just hypnotises them into thinking about their insecurities. Thor pretty saw what Ultron tells him in the comics, and it totally wasen't cool at all.

In the comics, Ultron beats up Thor badly, and says something like "Now why would a God fall before a man-made machine? Are you truely worthy if you are getting beaten like all of the other humans, like you are supposed to protect?" then goes on to reference the norse story that Odin lost his one eye to gain almost all of the universes' secrets, but not all of them. That was epic, and none of the dialogue happened between the other characters and Ultron. Maybe one important line between Ultron and Cap, and that's it. Then cap makes a joke, and they fight.

Speaking of jokes, ULTRON is a joke in this movie. In the comics, Ultron has them on their knees begging for mercy, and one Avenger saved the day, but in the trailer with the "is that all you got" and the great fight scene, they beat Ultron very easily. His idea of destroying the world was the really cool part, however. In the last part of the movie, Ultron gets into a plane and shoots at the avengers as a last ditch attempt to destroy and killed Quicksilver in the process, and when the Hulk got him out the plane, he was like "Lets talk this through!" .... Ultron isn't desperate like that. That was weird to see him do that.

Ultron goes from "saving the world with a purpose" to 'eh f**k it, I just want to rule the world" and that was REALLY stupid.

I guess that's what the movies are supposed to do. Potray a character in a new light.

Other things I didn't like were the forced romance between Banner and Natasha. :/ Too many jokes (albeit funny) for a supposedly dark movie,  I did however like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in this movie, but they came out of literally nowhere. Teaming up with Ultron because you hate Stark? BS. Also that part where Scarlet Witch finding out that Ultron wants to kill everyone, she already KNEW. Ultron literally told them :/ Also lots of filler. I did some of it, but chasing Ultron around the world seemed like a poor design choice if you ask me.

Onto the positives. The plot and the way it fits in in INGENIOUS! That hidden scene where Thanos is like "I can't believe Ultron, my pawn, didn't work! I guess I have to do this myself.." almost like he knew Tony would want to do whatever it takes to save the world on HIS terms.

The actions scenes were some of the best in the entire series. Seriously, it's great. Quicksilver's effects are even better than in Days of Future past. I liked the development between each character, and the clash between Tony and Cap, with Cap proclaiming Tony is a loon. The movie was so well crafted and so well intergrated, it's such a big step up from Avengers 1. The movie has many meanings and ideas behind it, and it will take a lot of rewatching to understand all of it. I also liked Vision here too.

This movie might of not been correct in a lot things and had a lot of problems, but the movie was very good. I might of not liked Ultron here, but atleast I can respect why they did it.

The movie was as good than Avengers 1. If you liked Avengers 1, you are going to love Avengers: Age of Ultron. However, for comic book fans like me and Kiyza, I can't help but think it fell short with the portryal of Ultron and rushed romances.

The movie is a flawed movie, but Good (for people who don't read comics, because they got a lot of stuff wrong. Comic books fans will hate this movie.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:11:02 AM by Umbrax »

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »

Offline Silencer

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 5 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Be your unique color. I'm being mine.
  • I am a: Human
Just saw it two hours ago, actually. In my opinion it's the best movie I've ever seen. Ultron was great. The way they made him seem so human was unbeatable. He's an AI like no other. The way he speaks and acts, it's just so human. When he says "Please... don't do this" to Scarlet Witch I could hear the emotion in his voice. He even made me laugh with what he said at times.

Spoiler for Hidden:
When Quicksilver died... man, I felt it. It hit me right in the feels.

The humor between Hawkeye and Quicksilver was quit a funny one indeed. That time when he contemplated shooting at Quicksilver was priceless.

"Nobody would know..." I laughed so hard  ;D

I love the fact that they included many other characters who were not expected. Falcon, Warmachine, and Vision were good and unexpected little treasures.

On a scale of 0 to 100... I'd give that film a 99/100. I really did like it.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Just saw it two hours ago, actually. In my opinion it's the best movie I've ever seen. Ultron was great. The way they made him seem so human was unbeatable. He's an AI like no other. The way he speaks and acts, it's just so human. When he says "Please... don't do this" to Scarlet Witch I could hear the emotion in his voice. He even made me laugh with what he said at times.

Spoiler for Hidden:
When Quicksilver died... man, I felt it. It hit me right in the feels.

The humor between Hawkeye and Quicksilver was quit a funny one indeed. That time when he contemplated shooting at Quicksilver was priceless.

"Nobody would know..." I laughed so hard  ;D

I love the fact that they included many other characters who were not expected. Falcon, Warmachine, and Vision were good and unexpected little treasures.

On a scale of 0 to 100... I'd give that film a 99/100. I really did like it.

Another thing to add; the humor was off the wall funny! I really liked the repeating 'people almost picking up Thor's hammer' joke and then when

Spoiler for Hidden:
vision picked up thor's hammer like it was nothing. That proves what the soul gem can really do.

Ultron was human-like in the comics too, but i'll give you credit that he was VERY human here. Like I said it's all about how a character is portrayed.

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
    I'm going to write a dissenting opinion. I strongly disliked Age of Ultron. I think it was the weakest movie of Phase 2 and it has me worried about the future of the MCU. Spoilers below, read at your own risk.

Spoiler for Age of Ultron Spoilers:
Negatives:
  • There was no setup. There was no rising action. You're just suddenly put into the fray with Baron Strucker, who's killed off almost immediately. They wasted a perfectly good villain there.
  • The film does not give ample background for newcomers. Many things, like the stinger at the end, would only be of interest to someone who reads or is aware of comics. Loads and loads of characters are in this film and many of them are just kind of there, not serving any real purpose other than perhaps making fans who like them happy. It's beginning to suffer from the same problem that Marvel does as a shared continuity -- continuity lockout makes it difficult to follow what's going on.
  • Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are poorly utilized. Wanda's powers aren't explained particularly well to begin with and it's difficult to keep up with what she's doing, especially since she's a psychic of some sort instead of having her signature probability manipulation.
  • The entire movie feels like filler. Innumerable scenes are put in there solely for the purpose of foreshadowing the next several movies (most notably, Scarlet Witch's mind tricks). Even the part with Wakandan Vibranium feels disjointed, and I think that was one of the things that kind of needed to be done. There was so much content that it felt rushed.
  • Everything about Ultron. As someone who knows Ultron from the comics, I knew I was going to be bothered by him from the second it was revealed that Hank Pym wouldn't have made him. Part of Ultron's character is that he's sort of Hank Pym's scorned son and I feel like that dynamic is one of the most compelling things about him. Furthermore, I think having him immediately turn evil was a poor decision from a plot perspective, since having him start as one of the "good guys" and then turn on them when he decides humanity is imperfect would have made a more compelling character.
  • Black Widow and Hulk's romance. Holy crap does this feel forced. There's nothing in the previous films to really set it up and I'm tired of Marvel movies falling back on romantic subplots. They're not necessary. The female audience is already busy shipping the male characters together anyway.
  • The choreography was very poor. If I can say nothing else good about Thor: The Dark World, at least I can say that the action sequences were well done. The fantastic choreography in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was one of its best selling points. It was stylish. There was none of that flair in this film. The fights weren't intense enough, nor were they enough of a visual spectacle.
  • Much of the comedy was poorly executed. It's not that the jokes were bad, it's that they produced too much mood whiplash, especially given the darker tone that this movie is supposed to have. There are more jokes in it than in the original Avengers in spite of the fact that this should be, by all counts, a darker movie.
Positives:
  • Dr. Klaw. I kind of expect him to play a role in Black Panther now and I was not expecting him at all. He was set up really nicely, even if I had my complaints about that entire scene.
  • The Vision. I really love what they did with him in the film universe, though I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't get much in the way of screentime. There were so many characters that the ones that were introduced in this film didn't get developed enough, and Vision was by far the most compelling out of them.
  • Tony Stark's character development. He's slowly becoming nuttier and nuttier, not to mention butting heads with Cap a lot. I think it makes for a good setup for Civil War.
  • The attention given to Hawkeye. He suddenly went from the weakest character in the film franchise to one of the strongest because of all of the attention he was given during the movie, even if I don't like him having a family.

Spoiler for Hidden:
vision picked up thor's hammer like it was nothing. That proves what the soul gem can really do.

Spoiler for Hidden:
That's the Mind Gem, not the Soul Gem. Vision's ability to lift is implied to be either because he's worthy or because he's a robot. Though the Infinity Gems were originally collectively called the Soul Gems, they've been established as six separate gems with six separate powers. The ones we're missing right now are the Soul Gem and Time Gem... and I think anyone who knows their cosmic Marvel knows where they should be going with the former.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:17:12 AM »

Offline Silencer

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Another thing to add; the humor was off the wall funny! I really liked the repeating 'people almost picking up Thor's hammer' joke and then when

Spoiler for Hidden:

Ultron was human-like in the comics too, but i'll give you credit that he was VERY human here. Like I said it's all about how a character is portrayed.

Well, the infinity stone had nothing to do with Vision's being able to pick the hammer up. Only those who are worthy can lift it. We saw that Captain America was almost worthy enough. Vision is just so righteous that he is as worthy to rule Asgard as Thor is.   

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Well, the infinity stone had nothing to do with Vision's being able to pick the hammer up. Only those who are worthy can lift it. We saw that Captain America was almost worthy enough. Vision is just so righteous that he is as worthy to rule Asgard as Thor is.   

Vision wouldn't have a mind if it wasen't for the mind stone. Therefore, it's the mind stone that made Vision the way he is; alive.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Vision wouldn't have a mind if it wasen't for the mind stone. Therefore, it's the mind stone that made Vision the way he is; alive.

It's ambiguous whether or not Vision is actually "alive". As pointed out in the movie, it might just be because he's mechanical. Either way, the Mind Gem shouldn't make something "alive". It's not the Soul Gem. Giving him consciousness I can buy, but that's not what's implied by the movie, unless I'm forgetting something.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »

Offline Silencer

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    I'm going to write a dissenting opinion. I strongly disliked Age of Ultron. I think it was the weakest movie of Phase 2 and it has me worried about the future of the MCU. Spoilers below, read at your own risk.

Spoiler for Age of Ultron Spoilers:
Negatives:
  • There was no setup. There was no rising action. You're just suddenly put into the fray with Baron Strucker, who's killed off almost immediately. They wasted a perfectly good villain there.
  • The film does not give ample background for newcomers. Many things, like the stinger at the end, would only be of interest to someone who reads or is aware of comics. Loads and loads of characters are in this film and many of them are just kind of there, not serving any real purpose other than perhaps making fans who like them happy. It's beginning to suffer from the same problem that Marvel does as a shared continuity -- continuity lockout makes it difficult to follow what's going on.
  • Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are poorly utilized. Wanda's powers aren't explained particularly well to begin with and it's difficult to keep up with what she's doing, especially since she's a psychic of some sort instead of having her signature probability manipulation.
  • The entire movie feels like filler. Innumerable scenes are put in there solely for the purpose of foreshadowing the next several movies (most notably, Scarlet Witch's mind tricks). Even the part with Wakandan Vibranium feels disjointed, and I think that was one of the things that kind of needed to be done. There was so much content that it felt rushed.
  • Everything about Ultron. As someone who knows Ultron from the comics, I knew I was going to be bothered by him from the second it was revealed that Hank Pym wouldn't have made him. Part of Ultron's character is that he's sort of Hank Pym's scorned son and I feel like that dynamic is one of the most compelling things about him. Furthermore, I think having him immediately turn evil was a poor decision from a plot perspective, since having him start as one of the "good guys" and then turn on them when he decides humanity is imperfect would have made a more compelling character.
  • Black Widow and Hulk's romance. Holy crap does this feel forced. There's nothing in the previous films to really set it up and I'm tired of Marvel movies falling back on romantic subplots. They're not necessary. The female audience is already busy shipping the male characters together anyway.
  • The choreography was very poor. If I can say nothing else good about Thor: The Dark World, at least I can say that the action sequences were well done. The fantastic choreography in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was one of its best selling points. It was stylish. There was none of that flair in this film. The fights weren't intense enough, nor were they enough of a visual spectacle.
  • Much of the comedy was poorly executed. It's not that the jokes were bad, it's that they produced too much mood whiplash, especially given the darker tone that this movie is supposed to have. There are more jokes in it than in the original Avengers in spite of the fact that this should be, by all counts, a darker movie.
Positives:
  • Dr. Klaw. I kind of expect him to play a role in Black Panther now and I was not expecting him at all. He was set up really nicely, even if I had my complaints about that entire scene.
  • The Vision. I really love what they did with him in the film universe, though I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't get much in the way of screentime. There were so many characters that the ones that were introduced in this film didn't get developed enough, and Vision was by far the most compelling out of them.
  • Tony Stark's character development. He's slowly becoming nuttier and nuttier, not to mention butting heads with Cap a lot. I think it makes for a good setup for Civil War.
  • The attention given to Hawkeye. He suddenly went from the weakest character in the film franchise to one of the strongest because of all of the attention he was given during the movie, even if I don't like him having a family.

Now, Baron Strucker was never meant to be anything big. He was only there because they needed someone to kill as first victim for Ultron. I respect your opinion but saying that there was no rising action implies that right after the beginning came the climax. The rising action was during the time when Ultron grew in power the audience became aware of his plan gradually. When Ultron, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch went to get the material for Ultron's device, the climax hadn't happened yet. And if there is no rising action, then there is nothing to name 45 minutes of the movie because the climax was the final battle with all of the heroes fighting as one.
I don't feel as if Scarlet Witch's powers needed to be explained all that much. It's easy to see that it's a form of energy manipulation. I have this page saved on my computer. I don't disagree with you. Her abilities were not expanded upon. I think I just feel like it never needed to be because I know people's powers just by seeing them. Scarlet Witch's powers were talked about more than Vision's, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superhuman_features_and_abilities_in_fiction#Cold_and_ice_manipulation
I use that page when I need the proper terms for powers that I give to characters in my novel. For example, they never said anything at all about Vision's powers but I already know that he has: flight, indestructibility (or maybe semi-indestructibility), and superhuman strength just by watching the movie and nobody saying anything. His abilities are listed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_%28Marvel_Comics%29

That doesn't mean that his way of thinking was not the reason for his worthiness. The stone did not give him life. He has a mind. He is synthetic, but his mind works because it exists. I mean, what cause the first spark of conciseness and thinking in us? I just feel as if the stone only gives him more power. Ultron ordered his creation with the stone so that he could go in him and be him. If he had succeeded, would he have been able to be him? If the gem were the cause of his conciseness, then the gem would need to be removed, thus removing his mind so that Ultron's could be in the powerful body.   

Wait... isn't the yellow stone the "reality stone"? The "mind stone" is blue, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Gems
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:11:21 AM by Silencer, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
That doesn't mean that his way of thinking was not the reason for his worthiness. The stone did not give him life. He has a mind. He is synthetic, but his mind works because it exists. I mean, what cause the first spark of conciseness and thinking in us? I just feel as if the stone only gives him more power. Ultron ordered his creation with the stone so that he could go in him and be him. If he had succeeded, would he have been able to be him? If the gem were the cause of his conciseness, then the gem would need to be removed, thus removing his mind so that Ultron's could be in the powerful body.   

Wait... isn't the yellow stone the "reality stone"? The "mind stone" is blue, right?

MSUniverse is very different; properties and different stones might be switched. Forgot that Robots can pick up the hammer.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Now, Baron Strucker was never meant to be anything big. He was only there because they needed someone to kill as first victim for Ultron.

Which, again, was a waste. Why use a well-known villain as a bit character like that instead of a nameless nobody? I feel like Marvel might end up with an issue down the road as the off their antagonists (that aren't Loki) left or right. It left an awful taste in my mouth when Ronan was killed off in Guardians of the Galaxy, especially since Ronan is such a compelling character in the comics and I wanted him to come back and be in a relationship with Crystal in Inhumans.

I respect your opinion but saying that there was no rising action implies that right after the beginning came the climax. The rising action was during the time when Ultron grew in power the audience became aware of his plan gradually. When Ultron, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch went to get the material for Ultron's device, the climax hadn't happened yet. And if there is no rising action, then there is nothing to name 45 minutes of the movie because the climax was the final battle with all of the heroes fighting as one.

Rising action wasn't quite the right term for it, but my point is, there isn't a setup. You're thrust immediately into the movie with nothing to tell you what's going on. If you haven't watched an Avengers movie yet, you're going to be lost. The other Marvel movies don't have that problem, or at least not as severely.

This bothers me because this is the primary thing that keeps people from getting into comics. People are too overwhelmed by the sheer amount of continuity that they don't know where to start. If the films begin to suffer from that same problem, Marvel's film franchise will begin to decline. Only around half of the audience members for Avengers showed up for everything barring Iron Man 3, so that leaves $600,000 worth of moviegoers partially lost to the plot because they didn't see Cap 2 to know what was going on with Hydra and the twins.

I don't feel as if Scarlet Witch's powers needed to be explained all that much. It's easy to see that it's a form of energy manipulation. I have this page saved on my computer. I don't disagree with you. Her abilities were not expanded upon. I think I just feel like it never needed to be because I know people's powers just by seeing them. Scarlet Witch's powers were talked about more than Vision's, actually.

It's not easy to see that it's energy manipulation because it does that and she's psychic. Which is nonsensical. They shy away from giving an explanation for her powers outside of jargon and just say "she's freaky". I don't need defined power sets for superheroes -- a good chunk of my favorites are very ill-defined and it suits them well -- but the fact that mindfuck + energy manipulation are two things that don't usually fit together is what bothers me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superhuman_features_and_abilities_in_fiction#Cold_and_ice_manipulation
I use that page when I need the proper terms for powers that I give to characters in my novel. For example, they never said anything at all about Vision's powers but I already know that he has: flight, indestructibility (or maybe semi-indestructibility), and superhuman strength just by watching the movie and nobody saying anything. His abilities are listed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_%28Marvel_Comics%29

Vision's powers don't actually need an explanation, though. He's a robot. It's a given that he should have super strength, and since he's partially made of Vibranium, the durability is also a given. Those are simple, common abilities that a character like him is expected to have just because of his nature.

The Mind Gem is blue in the comics, but they changed it for the films. It's not the only one like that. For instance, the Power Gem is red in the comics, but it's purple in the movies. The only one of them that's ever really relevant or important individually is Adam Warlock's Soul Gem anyway, so I don't see a problem with playing musical chairs with the colors.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »

Offline Silencer

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
I just remembered what the kids behind me said during the early part of the movie. It really made me laugh.

"Those aren't the twins. They're supposed to both be boys. Mas and Menos are supposed to be the twins. Why does one of them have telekinesis?"

You might be able to imagine how I felt.
I had some things to say to that kid, but I didn't.
I. "You're talking about DC. This is a Marvel movie.
II. "If you don't know the Marvel universe well, don't talk out loud during a Marvel movie."

If someone else had heard him and had the courage to tell him off in front of the audience, he or she would have.
It's harsh, what I thought. That's why I didn't say it. But he's a kid, so I cut him some slack. You know, one of those kids who just likes the heroes and toys and doesn't have the attention span or mental capacity to learn about and understand the Marvel universe.   

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
I just remembered what the kids behind me said during the early part of the movie. It really made me laugh.

"Those aren't the twins. They're supposed to both be boys. Mas and Menos are supposed to be the twins. Why does one of them have telekinesis?"

You might be able to imagine how I felt.
I had some things to say to that kid, but I didn't.
I. "You're talking about DC. This is a Marvel movie.
II. "If you don't know the Marvel universe well, don't talk out loud during a Marvel movie."

If someone else had heard him and had the courage to tell him off in front of the audience, he or she would have.
It's harsh, what I thought. That's why I didn't say it. But he's a kid, so I cut him some slack. You know, one of those kids who just likes the heroes and toys and doesn't have the attention span or mental capacity to learn about and understand the Marvel universe.

Honestly though, they are dumb adult people who don't care to learn about the Marvel universe and say we are nerds, but sit down to watch Marvel movies and say they are the best thing since sliced bread, and most of the time, the movies aren't even dumbed down that much for the general audience.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
The purpose of this movie, from what I gathered from watching it, was like the first one: to be funny, have action, and just see different heroes with different personalities.  I agree with Umbrax, if you liked the first Avengers, you should love this one.  If you're looking for the next big thing in Cinema, you'll be disappointed, this movie was not made for all demographics.

Since this is a movie made for anyone, I'm gonna look at it from that viewpoint, so I'm not gonna pick at small details that only dedicated comics book fans would pick at, so I'm just gonna look at the basics: the acting, writing, music, graphics, and story.

I'd go over graphics, but people keep complaining about CGI being a problem and yet I've never cared one little bit about every bit of CGI everyone's ever complained about, so maybe I'm just crazy.  As for music, it's Marvel, they always know how to bring in the awesome.  The writing can be kinda corny and silly, but what are you expecting, it's a freaking comic book movie.  The acting was fantastic, none of it felt fake to me.  I've seen some people whine about the cut-paste "robots think humanity is evil" storyline, but imo they changed it enough to make it not completely cut and paste and still enjoyable.  The character interaction MORE than makes up for the plot issues.

So if you're looking for something fun and exciting to watch, this is a great gig.  If you're looking for a picture perfect representation of the "perfect comic book movie because comics were perfect and never had flaws", or looking for something game-changing, you're not gonna find it here.  But still, I'd recommend it 8)

We WILL Protect the Peace!

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »

Offline Amune

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • I am real super sand lesbian!
  • I am a: Great Namek
The purpose of this movie, from what I gathered from watching it, was like the first one: to be funny, have action, and just see different heroes with different personalities.  I agree with Umbrax, if you liked the first Avengers, you should love this one.  If you're looking for the next big thing in Cinema, you'll be disappointed, this movie was not made for all demographics.

Since this is a movie made for anyone, I'm gonna look at it from that viewpoint, so I'm not gonna pick at small details that only dedicated comics book fans would pick at, so I'm just gonna look at the basics: the acting, writing, music, graphics, and story.

I'd go over graphics, but people keep complaining about CGI being a problem and yet I've never cared one little bit about every bit of CGI everyone's ever complained about, so maybe I'm just crazy.  As for music, it's Marvel, they always know how to bring in the awesome.  The writing can be kinda corny and silly, but what are you expecting, it's a freaking comic book movie.  The acting was fantastic, none of it felt fake to me.  I've seen some people whine about the cut-paste "robots think humanity is evil" storyline, but imo they changed it enough to make it not completely cut and paste and still enjoyable.  The character interaction MORE than makes up for the plot issues.

So if you're looking for something fun and exciting to watch, this is a great gig.  If you're looking for a picture perfect representation of the "perfect comic book movie because comics were perfect and never had flaws", or looking for something game-changing, you're not gonna find it here.  But still, I'd recommend it 8)

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't get why people insist on these movies being so close to the comics. I mean, yes, as a comics fan myself I'd love to see a superhero movie that follows the comics very closely, but that's just not going to happen. I'm grateful that comic movies are actually taken semi-seriously now. If it weren't for The Dark Knight trilogy, we would probably still have comic book movies like that awful Fantastic Four movie made 10 years ago. I love what Disney and Marvel are doing to the universe, and I can't wait to see the Avengers tie in with Starlord & co.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
I will say that ultron a plan was pretty stupid/flawed. It would've been much easier (for ultron) to go into space and use and use asteroids to destroy the earth rather than lifting up a chunk and dropping it. Plus how are the avengers going to stop multiple asteroids coming to the earth. They don't . Not to mention they wouldn't even know he was in space due to tony 's stealth mode .

Also you would think he would've used one of his bots to upload himself back onto the Internet and stuff .

Another stupid thing , it's like they completely ignore the fact the hulk practically killed a bunch of people . And why would iron man throw cars and shit around , or slam the hulk into a building . Yeah he eventually tried to get hulk out of the city but he wasn't really trying all that hard before it was too late .

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't get why people insist on these movies being so close to the comics. I mean, yes, as a comics fan myself I'd love to see a superhero movie that follows the comics very closely, but that's just not going to happen. I'm grateful that comic movies are actually taken semi-seriously now. If it weren't for The Dark Knight trilogy, we would probably still have comic book movies like that awful Fantastic Four movie made 10 years ago. I love what Disney and Marvel are doing to the universe, and I can't wait to see the Avengers tie in with Starlord & co.

A good chunk of my griping was actually about the movies being too close to the comics, specifically, in the shared continuity aspect. I think the MCU's continuity is very rapidly becoming a clusterfuck and I think that any sequel films are going to require a lot of reading up on things. It's not helping either that there are certain plot aspects that will only make sense to comic book fans, like who the hell this Baron Strucker guy is, or what the deal with that Klaw guy was, or what a Wakanda is, or what these Infinity Gems Stones are, or who Thanos is, and... Argh, basically a lot of things that people who don't read comics are going to miss.

My only real complaint about it not being like the comics is with Ultron's drastic change in character because Hank Pym didn't build the film version, and that's because I'd rather Ultron be a cold, calculating, intimidating machine instead of being like Tony Stark to a crippling degree. I'm not mad at all about Hawkeye's family and farmhouse that are obviously not from the comics. I'm not mad at the Black Widow and the Hulk having a romance because it's not like the comics. I'm mad because it was poorly executed.

Also, I don't think there's ever been a time when comic book movies weren't taken seriously. For one thing, the first major comic book movie was Superman, which was met with glowing critical reviews and an Academy Award. In 1978, comics were well on their way to gaining mainstream acceptance as an art form (in the states at least -- most of Europe and Japan never questioned them as far as I can tell), For two, not all comic book movies are about superheroes to begin with. In fact, Marvel's first two silver screen adaptations -- Howard the Duck and Blade -- were not based on superhero comics. Howard the Duck is from a comedy comic and Blade is from a horror series (Tomb of Dracula) that just happens to take place in the Marvel Universe. If they didn't take superhero films seriously after Superman, I'd have to imagine the Tim Burton and Nolan Batman films won most over the non-believers. Granted, no comic-based movie has ever won the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture, but you'd be hard pressed to find the last time a genre film or adaptation actually did. No one is trying to make an Oscar bait superhero movie. If it's ridiculed, it's ridiculed for the same reason stuff like Star Wars will never be considered "true art".

That said, superhero films are the big genre right now, though I think we're still seeing about the same number of non-superhero comic adaptations year in and year out. (That could be subject to change in the near future, depending on how adaptations of certain non-superhero DC properties go.) Basically, cape movies are to the 2000s and 2010s what the western was to the 1950s and 1960s. That "awful Fantastic Four movie" was released the same year as Batman Begins, Sin City, and V for Vendetta, and we had already had solid adaptations of Spider-man and the X-men -- probably the biggest comic book franchises that hadn't yet been put to film -- in that decade, on top of their excellent sequels.

Also, for what it's worth, James Gunn (the director for Guardians of the Galaxy) has stated that he'd actually like to move away from anything in the Avengers' general direction and distance them from the rest of the MCU. It's worth a note that Guardians of the Galaxy (the second team, vol. 2, which the film version is based on) and the rest of "cosmic Marvel" was its own separate thing from the rest of the Marvel universe with its own events and crossovers while everyone on Earth was busy bickering about some superhero registration act. Funny how things all fit together, isn't it?

Another stupid thing , it's like they completely ignore the fact the hulk practically killed a bunch of people . And why would iron man throw cars and shit around , or slam the hulk into a building . Yeah he eventually tried to get hulk out of the city but he wasn't really trying all that hard before it was too late .

You act like that won't be the set-up for an inevitable superhero registration act in Civil War.

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
    • View Profile
  • Just try and get on my level. I dare you.
^Jesus naughtyword! You really want to win that thread, dontcha, Kiy-kiy? xD

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »

Offline Trender

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 10 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Create, Live, Dragonball
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Where is the [Spoiler tag m8?

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »

Offline Amune

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • I am real super sand lesbian!
  • I am a: Great Namek

Well he's basically saying in the title that he'd already seen it, so....

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »

Offline Silencer

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile

You act like that won't be the set-up for an inevitable superhero registration act in Civil War.

That is a good point! I think many of the loose ends left untied were left that way on purpose. Come on, nobody's that stupid.
Let's just wait for the next movies. You never know, everything you guys are calling stupid now may come back and prove you wrong.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 12:46:16 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
^Jesus naughtyword! You really want to win that thread, dontcha, Kiy-kiy? xD

I wrote most of that long, long before your before you Brainiac thread (at around 4 in the morning earlier today) and only posted it up now because I needed to sleep so I could come back and edit it while I was actually awake. The original version contained a tirade about how comic book movie =/= superhero movie and a bit more information about critical reception to superhero movies, citing aggregate reviews and the Academy Awards. I decided against it because it was beyond a wall of text -- it was a monolith of text.

I don't think I said anything that was spoilerish and the film has been out for some time now.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
*pokes head up*

Somebody mentioned the 1978 Superman movie, didn't they?
I CAN SENSE IT.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."