[November 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM]

Anyone from Canada? by Yuhao
[November 09, 2017, 03:10:56 PM]

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]

Topic: Pet Thread  (Read 1152 times)

Pet Thread
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I'm always a bit curious about people's pet-keeping habits, so I figured it might make for an interesting thread. Who here keeps pets? What kind of pets? How much do you put into keeping your pet? Any fun pet stories or photos you want to share?

I'll be honest -- I'm always most interested im hearing about people who keep something other than dogs or cats. I've had reptiles exclusively for more than six years now because I have chronic allergies, but I'm at the point where I think there are better pets for me. (though I would consider a small, caged rodent if they weren't the worst for my allergies) Lately I've been saving money for my first snake since I'll be old enough to apply for a permit in a week or so (my state has a bizarre permit system where you need a permit for almost all snake species, including common, harmless ones like ball pythons). I've also been considering keeping a small colony of emperor scorpions since I've developed a fascination with them, but I think I'll wait to see if the notion passes -- I avoid getting anything on impulse, pets especially.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Pet Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
  • Honor: 78 / 16
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
  • I am a: Human
The only pet you can have is a Dog, cat or a Monkey. Those are the only animals that can have an emotional attachment with you. Shit like fish and lizards don't care. They just want to eat and reproduce.

C'mon.

Pet Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »

Offline Sensui

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 4 / 0
    • View Profile
Yeah, I don't want a fish. Lol.

Pet Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
The only pet you can have is a Dog, cat or a Monkey. Those are the only animals that can have an emotional attachment with you. Shit like fish and lizards don't care. They just want to eat and reproduce.

C'mon.

Have you ever actually owned the animals you're judging? Mammals aren't the only group of animals that can form bonds with their owners. Birds are notorious for getting far too attached to their owners. A number of lizard species also exhibit behaviors usually associated with mammals. Many people who own some of the more intelligent species -- like monitors, tegus, and iguanas -- attest to the notion that they can become attached to their owners and there's a lot of anecdotal evidence for it. It's also important to mention that a lot of people don't care if their love for their pets is reciprocated or not, myself included. I'd think I'd be a pretty sad person if I kept pets exclusively as a source of emotional comfort.

Most people who keep things like fish and invertebrates -- as well as a few reptile owners -- don't care much about bonding with their animals. It's more akin to keeping a private zoological collection than anything else, which is why I'm personally interested in keeping scorpions. They're an almost mechanical group of animals, so I'm really interested in being able to be able to observe their behavior and get hands-on experience with something so alien.

Also, a primate is probably the shittiest "pet" you can keep that's not a big cat. People who keep exotic mammals in general tend to be pretty delusional and fucked in the head anyway. Go do a little research into the issue before talking about it.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Pet Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
  • Honor: 78 / 16
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
Have you ever actually owned the animals you're judging? Mammals aren't the only group of animals that can form bonds with their owners. Birds are notorious for getting far too attached to their owners. A number of lizard species also exhibit behaviors usually associated with mammals. Many people who own some of the more intelligent species -- like monitors, tegus, and iguanas -- attest to the notion that they can become attached to their owners and there's a lot of anecdotal evidence for it. It's also important to mention that a lot of people don't care if their love for their pets is reciprocated or not, myself included. I'd think I'd be a pretty sad person if I kept pets exclusively as a source of emotional comfort.

Most people who keep things like fish and invertebrates -- as well as a few reptile owners -- don't care much about bonding with their animals. It's more akin to keeping a private zoological collection than anything else, which is why I'm personally interested in keeping scorpions. They're an almost mechanical group of animals, so I'm really interested in being able to be able to observe their behavior and get hands-on experience with something so alien.

Also, a primate is probably the shittiest "pet" you can keep that's not a big cat. People who keep exotic mammals in general tend to be pretty delusional and fucked in the head anyway. Go do a little research into the issue before talking about it.

you can call anything you want shitty but, how can you call something shityt that you didnt have? My uncle had a pet monkey and he was mad cool...

You can actually play with a Monkey, Dog or Cat. They are aware that you are there friend. Lizards and fish dont give a naughtyword.

I can play catch with a dog
i can play fight with a cat
i can run around with a monkey

DF AM I GUNNA DO WITH A FISH.....SWIM WITH HIM?

DF AM I GUNNA DO WITH A LIZARD? SIT IN THE SUN?

lol..

Pet Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline Sexy

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 47 / 13
    • View Profile
  • King
  • I am a: Fighter
Dogs and Cats should be the only pets you have. Anything else is just kinda meh imo. Birds are aight but yea. Reptiles and shit like that shouldn't even be called a pet.

Pet Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

Offline Sensui

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 4 / 0
    • View Profile
Dogs and Cats should be the only pets you have. Anything else is just kinda meh imo. Birds are aight but yea. Reptiles and shit like that shouldn't even be called a pet.
Yeah, I agree. No reptiles.

Pet Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
you can call anything you want shitty but, how can you call something shityt that you didnt have? My uncle had a pet monkey and he was mad cool...

You can actually play with a Monkey, Dog or Cat. They are aware that you are there friend. Lizards and fish dont give a naughtyword.

I can play catch with a dog
i can play fight with a cat
i can run around with a monkey

DF AM I GUNNA DO WITH A FISH.....SWIM WITH HIM?

DF AM I GUNNA DO WITH A LIZARD? SIT IN THE SUN?

lol..

I know because I personally know people who've dealt with them and have shared their experiences. Monkeys are extremely aggressive animals that often end up harming their owners. They're expensive and require more care and attention than a human child. Most people who own them don't even know how to properly care for them. Most people who own them seem to treat them more as a novelty or status symbol than an actual pet.

On the same note, have you had any hands-on experience with a variety of fish or reptiles?

Fish and lizards are both fun pets to observe. Some of family members have owned some of the more intelligent and responsive species, like chichlids, and they can be interacted with. Some species can actually be trained to do things like swim through hoops for a reward. I also have a friend who runs a local pet store who keeps carnivorous fish like oscars and piranhas, so he derives a lot of his enjoyment from their predatory behaviors. Many fish are also just kept ornamentally, or, like I said, as a hobby. Fish and reptiles are more of hobby, or even a lifestyle, than most pets are.

Personally, I enjoy taking my gecko out of her cage and interacting with her. I'll let her roam around my room and explore and I'll sit and watch or do something else while keeping an eye on her. My first gecko, who unfortunately passed away last year, used to watch TV with me. She'd have different reactions to things like nature documentaries and commercials. She'd even stare at the opening sequence to Star Trek. I doubt she understood what she was looking at, but you could say the same for a dog.

Is anyone going to actually share anything about their pets, or are you just going to continue complaining that there are people who keep pets you don't like? I don't care for dogs or cats, but I'm also not going to say they're stupid and no one should own them. They're just not right for me. Different people have different tastes and lifestyle choices. People like things you don't. Get over it.

Pet Thread
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »
    • View Profile
I've got sugar gliders and they're similar to dogs, they even bark lol I also have some dogs and a cat.

Pet Thread
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:55:56 PM »

Offline Windorf

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Windorf is alive.
Fish and lizards are both fun pets to observe. Some of family members have owned some of the more intelligent and responsive species, like chichlids, and they can be interacted with. Some species can actually be trained to do things like swim through hoops for a reward. I also have a friend who runs a local pet store who keeps carnivorous fish like oscars and piranhas, so he derives a lot of his enjoyment from their predatory behaviors. Many fish are also just kept ornamentally, or, like I said, as a hobby. Fish and reptiles are more of hobby, or even a lifestyle, than most pets are.

Not everyone loves to observe pets. In fact I would say the minority have pets to observe them. Most people get a pet to share a bond with such creature or animal. An owner might observe the pet. But that isn't their sole purpose. The way you describe it, you want pets to just see their actions.

Is anyone going to actually share anything about their pets, or are you just going to continue complaining that there are people who keep pets you don't like? I don't care for dogs or cats, but I'm also not going to say they're stupid and no one should own them. They're just not right for me. Different people have different tastes and lifestyle choices. People like things you don't. Get over it.

Cats are naughtyword awesome. Furry, adorable, and just so damn cute. I would have one, but my step mom is "allergic" to cats. Also while growing up with my real mom, she had a shit ton of animals. She's owned some ferrets, hamsters, cats and dogs, fish and even a pet snail(Which was so naughtyword stupid). A good majority of those were all at the same time. My mom is an animal freak.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:18:32 PM by Windorf »

Pet Thread
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 04:12:50 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
I've got sugar gliders and they're similar to dogs, they even bark lol I also have some dogs and a cat.

Care to post pics? I love suggies.

Not everyone loves to observe pets. In fact I would say the minority have pets to observe them. Most people get a pet to share a bond with such creature or animal. An owner might observe the pet. But that isn't their sole purpose. The way you describe it, you want pets to just see their actions.

Admittedly, I'm someone who's very interested in animal behavior -- I intend to study it a profession once I'm out of college. I'm much more content keeping an animal for the simpler parts of it, like care, observation, and interaction. It's difficult to describe, but caring for a reptiles reallt is a hobby, like I've said -- or even an obsession for some. I can't imagine I'm a minority, though, as fish are more popular pets than dogs or cats.

Cats are naughtyword awesome. Furry, adorable, and just so damn cute. I would have one, but my step mom is "allergic" to cats. Also while growing with my mom, she had a shit ton of animals. She's owned some ferrets, hamsters, cats and dogs, fish and even a pet snail(Which was so naughtyword stupid). A good majority of those were all at the same time. My mom is an animal freak.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of snail did your mother keep? I've heard some... interesting anecdotes over the years from people with giant African land snails to say the least.

Pet Thread
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
me pets be ded

liek if u cri evry tiem.

But seriously,

over the last 20(approx) years, I've had around two dogs, guinea pigs, fish.
But, they alas, they met the same fate of old age.
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

Pet Thread
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »

Offline Windorf

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Windorf is alive.
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of snail did your mother keep? I've heard some... interesting anecdotes over the years from people with giant African land snails to say the least.

Um...the one from the front yard of my house.

Pet Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »

Offline Hellu

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 10 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Ghost
  • I am a: Gun Maniac
Dogs and cats for the win.

While dogs bark, We fight.
While dogs howl, We kill.
While dogs fight for fame,
United as One Fist & One blood,
We stand for Our Honor.
      Baltic Wolves

Some serious brainstorm how to make DBO a better place for everyone : http://www.docdroid.net/JLD9cyd/dragonball-private-server-project-brainstorm.pdf.html

Pet Thread
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
Where is my pokemon? Where is Pikachu?
Dogs, cats, and birds.

Pet Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »

Offline Tevin

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Saiyan Elite
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Rock for the win
1.no wasting money on pet food
2. Can be used to defend yourself
3.cannot die
4.can commumaite with friends by writing note and throwing on there head

Pet Thread
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

Offline Blaka

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 5 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Viciouss da Zombie Raver
kitten like this
We will never sleep, 'cause sleep is for the weak
And we will never rest, 'til we're all naughtyword dead
We will never sleep, 'cause sleep is for the weak And we will never rest, 'til we're all naughtyword dead

Pet Thread
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »

Offline Yaxir

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 7 / 1
    • View Profile
    • SeiYex Web