Topic: RP Discussion Thread  (Read 1853 times)

RP Discussion Thread
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:14:54 AM »
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
Disscus about RPING!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:46:02 AM by Kiyza »
MarineCorps
We WILL Protect the peace

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »

Offline GogetaAR

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Nintendo ID: AholaR
What exactly is roleplaying?

Made by Kaiza.

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

Offline vating

• Shenron
  • Honor: 15 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit.
What exactly is roleplaying?

You act out the character you made and make sort of your own stories.  That's the most basic of descriptions.

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 02:39:15 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
How exactly do you roleplay on forums? I'm not into it because by I feel that just by being "Tofu" on the forums I'm already roleplaying a character with that name, same goes for any RPG game.

I don't know, maybe I haven't gotten the RP thing explained correctly and that's why I don't get it.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 12:52:47 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
How exactly do you roleplay on forums? I'm not into it because by I feel that just by being "Tofu" on the forums I'm already roleplaying a character with that name, same goes for any RPG game.

I don't know, maybe I haven't gotten the RP thing explained correctly and that's why I don't get it.

Let me see if I can explain this. You're not really role playing as Tofu by posting on the forums under that username. You're not pretending to be someone else through your posts (I assume), which is the point of role playing -- to pretend to be someone you're not.

Even when you play role playing games, most people don't actually role play to begin with. For instance, I role play in Skyrim. I act out a character with specific quirks and personality traits and pretend to be them. For instance, I've had characters who refuse to go into the temples of the Nine (or eight) Divines, or ones who worship the Eight/Nine and will never take items from their wayshrines. It would be beneficial for me, as a player, to receive blessings from the gods or take their tributes, but when I role play as a character, I stop thinking about what would be beneficial from a gameplay perspective and think in terms of "Would my character do this?"

Jackman might be able to post up some excerpts of his role playing from the guild forum he was in. I can show you some of my role playing via PM, though I role play in a very different, more formal style.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 04:35:51 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Honestly atm I don't feel like a DBOR RP is right for me, especially since I'm reworking my FC and Xenoverse kicked the DBO version out the window. XD

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »

Offline vating

• Shenron
  • Honor: 15 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit.
Honestly atm I don't feel like a DBOR RP is right for me, especially since I'm reworking my FC and Xenoverse kicked the DBO version out the window. XD
Well Xenoverse isn't that good for RP.

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:14:18 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin

To be completely fair, in DBX time works differently than in Dragon Ball Z (DBX without multiverse theory), so chances are it's not actually part of the official DBZ timeline.  Not that it matters, just something to point out.

Kiyza explained this very well.  While you act as "Tofu" on the forums, you're not pretending to be Tofu in the Dragon Ball universe, which is different. 

For example, we have been doing RP in the MarineCorps guild page for awhile now.  Essentially what's happening is that we're all pretending to be our self-created characters in the Dragon Ball universe, teaming up, fighting tough opponents we create, going on adventures, etc. 

It's not the whole "dice RP" thing here, I think that'd be too complicated for forum play.  It's really just pretend tbh.  All of us pretending to go on adventures and having fun.  It's a good time if you enjoy making characters and using your imagination!  8)

We WILL Protect the Peace!

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:59:54 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
For example, we have been doing RP in the MarineCorps guild page for awhile now.  Essentially what's happening is that we're all pretending to be our self-created characters in the Dragon Ball universe, teaming up, fighting tough opponents we create, going on adventures, etc. 

It's not the whole "dice RP" thing here, I think that'd be too complicated for forum play.  It's really just pretend tbh.  All of us pretending to go on adventures and having fun.  It's a good time if you enjoy making characters and using your imagination!  8)

As a side note, the purpose of this board is so that members can post role plays like the one going on in the private guild forums out here in the open. It will also provide an opportunity for members outside of that guild to join in a role play, or start one of their own. This section is, in a sense, an extension of the forum games section for role playing. Since role playing is a bit more "serious" than a normal forum game and third parties seem to have a tendency to derail any threads people try to start, it would be difficult to do role plays outside of its own section.

I can't really bring any activity to this board if I don't have people role playing, though. I'd appreciate it if you guys from MarineCorps could bring your role plays to this section. The sign-ups board can help you all keep track of your characters and stories. I've got so much stuff on my plate at college that I don't have time to run a role play. It's not my job to GM, just keep the board neat and tidy.

And as a side note, not all role playing involves the sorts of things Shyruni describes here. I role play in a more formal format (as I've mentioned) and do so as pre-established characters instead of self-created ones in most cases. (If you pay attention to the sorts of things I mention offhand or as examples, you can probably take a guess at who and what I've role played too) It basically turns into fanfiction written by multiple people at that point more than a "game", but that's generally how forum role plays feel anyway, as opposed to the more traditional format. It's storytelling over a game without the sorts of stats and dice formats tabletop games and some role playing sites use.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 06:55:12 AM »

Offline GogetaAR

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Nintendo ID: AholaR
To be completely fair, in DBX time works differently than in Dragon Ball Z (DBX without multiverse theory), so chances are it's not actually part of the official DBZ timeline.  Not that it matters, just something to point out.

Kiyza explained this very well.  While you act as "Tofu" on the forums, you're not pretending to be Tofu in the Dragon Ball universe, which is different. 

Made by Kaiza.

RP Discussion Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin

BEST.  RESPONSE.  EVER.

As a side note, the purpose of this board is so that members can post role plays like the one going on in the private guild forums out here in the open. It will also provide an opportunity for members outside of that guild to join in a role play, or start one of their own. This section is, in a sense, an extension of the forum games section for role playing. Since role playing is a bit more "serious" than a normal forum game and third parties seem to have a tendency to derail any threads people try to start, it would be difficult to do role plays outside of its own section.

I can't really bring any activity to this board if I don't have people role playing, though. I'd appreciate it if you guys from MarineCorps could bring your role plays to this section. The sign-ups board can help you all keep track of your characters and stories. I've got so much stuff on my plate at college that I don't have time to run a role play. It's not my job to GM, just keep the board neat and tidy.

And as a side note, not all role playing involves the sorts of things Shyruni describes here. I role play in a more formal format (as I've mentioned) and do so as pre-established characters instead of self-created ones in most cases. (If you pay attention to the sorts of things I mention offhand or as examples, you can probably take a guess at who and what I've role played too) It basically turns into fanfiction written by multiple people at that point more than a "game", but that's generally how forum role plays feel anyway, as opposed to the more traditional format. It's storytelling over a game without the sorts of stats and dice formats tabletop games and some role playing sites use.

Sure, I'm certainly willing to start some roleplay here.  I'll talk to my fellow MC bros and see if we can start something new!
We WILL Protect the Peace!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal