[November 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM]

Anyone from Canada? by Yuhao
[November 09, 2017, 03:10:56 PM]

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Yesterday at 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • Yesterday at 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • Yesterday at 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]

Topic: Shyruni Theory: Connections Between Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest?  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
Hey bros, wassup?   8)

So, over the last week I've been playing Dragon Quest IX for DS through again.  Me and my buds used to play it all the time, it's a great RPG experience.   Different and fun classes, no random encounters, tons of treasure and gear, fun bosses and caves, and best of all 4-player rpg co-op!  I've always had fun with this game.

But lately I've been noticing more than a few surprising similarities between this game and DBZ.  It doesn't appear like it at first, but once you start digging into the game, there are many things that hint at the possibility that Dragon Quest IX might actually exist within the DBZ universe!!!  Once again, this is just a theory without any perfect evidence, so take what I say with a grain of salt, it's just something to think about! 

1. The Martial Artist

The first thing to notice is the existence of the class in DQ9 known as the "Martial Artist".  Now, we could obviously talk about some of the clothing and weapon similarities, particularly one of the rods that looks rather similar to Goku's, but there's something more interesting to ponder here, and that has to do with the mechanics of the class.

Martial Artists in DQ9 have three particular traits: High health, High Melee Damage, and High Speed.  They are one of the fastest as well as one of the physically strongest classes, and while they aren't greatest in terms of defense since they don't wield shields, they can still take quite a few blows with their large HP. 

Overall, to me that seems very similar to the DBZ concept of a Martial Artist.  In DBZ, speed, strength, and durability are in most regards to your "power level".  When you go under intense training, you become faster, stronger, and more durable, and these three traits sound oddly similar to the previously mentioned main stats of the Martial Artist.  They also are one of the classes that typically uses Tension, which is actually my next point!

2. Tension

To be completely fair, the first image isn't actually from Dragon Quest 9, but another game from the same franchise.  However, it still exists in Dragon Quest 9, as the second, less interesting photo shows.

Tension in DQ9 is a special buff obtained from a few abilities.  Tension is something that typically has to be raised manually bar a single ability which increases it upon damage taken.  You can raise your tension from 0 to 5, 5 to 20, 20 to 50, and 50 to 100, and it goes back to 0 after a single successful action that does not involve raising your tension again or using an ite.

What tension does is it increases the effectiveness of whatever action you just took, whether it be melee  damage, magical damage, or healing, by a SUBSTANCIAL amount.  It also slightly raises your durability I believe, but I'm not completely sure about that part.

But what I want you to take a look at, with those mechanics in mind is the pictures above of what a Tension of 100 looks like.  I don't know about you, but to me it looks rather familiar to the charging of chi in DBZ, or the overall aura of powerful beings.  This might be a native understanding of the concept of chi back in the medieval days.  I don't know for sure, but it seems somewhat possible.

3. Manimals

One of the unique things about Dragon Ball's world is the existence of humanistic animals and dinosaurs.  It's typically not very focused upon, and yet it's one of the stranger and yet interesting traits in the Dragon Ball Universe!

Yet strangely enough, Dragon Quest also shares the same concept!  Granted, the animals aren't at peace with the human and are more monsters, but there are multiple various enemies who look like animals with a human-like body structure AND can talk in human language.   There are also dinosaurs as well!   Not much more to this one, time for the strangest similarity of all!

4. The Religion

This is the most hidden similarity yet, and yet one of the most compelling.   I had to look it over multiple times to make sure there was something of material here, and I was very surprised to find there was!

Now, at a direct look, they don't look very identical.  The game of DQ9 focuses on a single deity known as the "Almighty" who is essentially God, and his guardian angels the Celestrians, who assist him in watching over the Earth.  At first, this seems rather similar to the Catholic or Christian religion than the multiple Gods that Dragon Ball possesses.   However, a closer look gives three interesting points that seem to lean towards the universe's religion being the same, AS WELL as a possible connection between The Almighty and Kami!!!

First off, one interesting fact to note that while the Almighty is very powerful, he is NOT immortal.  Near the end of DQ9, you find out that he was actually murdered by a Celestrian gone mad a short time ago, much to the main character's surprise.  In Dragon Ball, it has been made very clear that most deities are not immortal, as Gods have died upon multiple occasions.

Second, the Almighty is actually not the only deity of DQ9.  He has a daughter who is known as a Goddess, and the Celestrians technically count as well.  This means that there might be more Gods than the Almighty, which would fit perfectly with the Dragon Ball universe.

And finally, the strangest similarity of them all...the Celestrians, the guardians of the Earth, live on a circular island...floating in the sky...high above the clouds...in the place called the OBSERVATORY.

That *ahem* sound *ahem* familiar *ahem* to anything? 

Yeah...I don't know about you, but the naming and concept of the Observatory is strikingly similar to the concept of Kami's Lookout!  Out of all the possible coincidences, this seems the most odd out of all of them to simply be thrown in. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

So, it's time for me to finalize my theory: so we have all this info, but what does it mean?  Well, from these multiple coincidences, I theorize the possibility that Dragon Quest 9 actually takes place in the Dragon Ball universe.  It could be one of the multiple dimensions mentioned by Beerus, but it could even be the same dimension Goku and the others are from, and there's a reasonable explanation for why!

At the end of Dragon Quest 9, the almighty has been killed but so has his killer, and all of the Celestrians fly towards heaven, leaving the people of Earth to protect themselves for the time being, at least. 

As time would go on technology would increase so the use of magic and swords would decrease, and many monsters probably died off or joined the humans as one of them, which could lead to how common humanimals are in DBZ.  Martial Arts would obviously continue, and perhaps tension would come under greater understanding in the future and become known as the modern term, chi. 

Since the Celestrians and the Almighty are gone, it's entirely possible that the Namekian Kami, or perhaps another before him, ended up being the God of Earth, similar to the one known as the Almighty.  Since the Observatory vanished and the Realm of the Almighty is now a monster infested wasteland or destroyed, perhaps Kami's Lookout was a reimagining of the Observatory of old by the Gods.

But this is all just a theory.  Thanks for reading, and I hope this got you thinking.  Have a great day/night!!!! 8)
We WILL Protect the Peace!

Shyruni Theory: Connections Between Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

Offline kobob23

• Oolong's Wish
  • Honor: 10 / 3
    • View Profile
  • They took my candy... And I took their planet.
o_o (mind blown)
Marine Corps
 the peace of DBO is in our hands, and we WILL protect it

Signatures by Kaiza: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:00:46 PM »

Offline DelmoonXz

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 22 / 0
    • View Profile
  • 2 Cool 4 U
  • I am a: Mech Maniac

Bravo~

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline Xicer

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 19
    • View Profile
  • I hate you all
  • I am a: Ultimate Majin
Idk I don't buy it. You just seem to be grasping at straws tbh

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »

Offline Malu

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 2
    • View Profile
  • 안녕하세요 ~~ ^^
  • I am a: Karma Majin
well perhaps it is similair cus dragonball/z and dragonquest(fly) have same artist ? ^^

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
Idk I don't buy it. You just seem to be grasping at straws tbh

Lulz, it's just a theory bro, it's not something I'm really grasping onto.   More along the lines of an interesting possibility I noticed.

well perhaps it is similair cus dragonball/z and dragonquest(fly) have same artist ? ^^

While that is true, there's more than that here.  It's not just artistic decision, but basic concepts of the game that seem to share similarities as well, which is a bit different.  Once again, it's just a theory though.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:14:26 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 13 / 0
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Still a long way to go~♪
  • I am a: Human
Martial Artists special traits are there since Dragon Quest III and are typical RPG Stats for this Class.
The Hero in VIII was able to become a Martial Artist and use the Super High Tension Mode. So just because there is a Martial Artist Class doesn't mean it plays in the Dragon World.
Before anyone mentions the Super Saiyan-like hair. This little Cameo was not present in the Original Version of the Game. It was added to the western release (along with other stuff) to appeal to the Dragon Ball Fanbase, since the Anime was big during the time of the release.

Tension does not raise durability, which Powerlevel raising does and it's not exclusive to Martial Artists. ANYONE can do it and ANYONE can be buffed with it, even if they never battled or trained.
Also it's an 2.0 Version of the Spells Charge Up and Psyche Up which hat pretty much the same effect in older Games.

So, a floating Island/Palace in the Sky is enough? Then I guess Dragon Quest IV, V and VI play in the same Universe as Dragon Ball, even though the Worlds are completly different, there are way to many differences.

Manimals = Artistic Choice. Dragon Quest ist the biggest RPG Franchise in Japan and Dragonball one of the most popular Animes. So why would they add Stuff that looks like in Dragon Ball? 1+1=2.

Nice theory and line drawing there, but it's not the same and it's not playing in the same universe. It's all artistic choice in the end.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:37:20 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Keep in mind, a lot of that stuff was also present in games like Chrono Trigger (which Toriyama also did the character designs for), particularly the manimals.

Also, Dragon Ball is loosely based off stuff from Buddhist mythology, which is quite common in Japan, so you're bound to find some similarities, Toriyama present or not.

Now, that's not to say there's not gonna be little jokes and references for Dragon Ball in the series. They probably give Toriyama a certain level of creative freedom, or even ask him to make a few good-natured nods from time-to-time.

I think Morrison pretty much summed it up best.

That being said, I respect the amount of effort you put into this, even if it's really probably just a few minor similarities.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 02:13:13 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
I agree, there certainly are some conflicting issues.  Keep in mind though that I was not talking about Dragon Quest as a franchise, but Dragon Quest IX in specific.  I have not played through most of the other Dragon Quest games, which is why I didn't use them for reference.  My theory was that Dragon Quest IX in particular was part of the Dragon Ball Universe.  Yes, there are certainly differences, but my theory also involves this being in the past of Dragon Ball, not during the timeline of DBZ.  I'm talking hundreds of years before then.   But yes, I do understand that it's not perfect evidence, which is why I merely presented it as a theory.  It's not that it does work, more that I think it "could" work, and a few ties that could possibly suggest it, but I really have no idea.  Just something interesting I thought of. :)

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 02:46:08 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Well, we got the Timeline from Dragonball pretty much covered. Dragon Quest IX is not mentioned or referenced anywhere, so the Theory wouldn't even  make sense then.

All you really mentioned was Tension, which falls flat, since it boosts Ki, Mana, Magic and Physical Strength and Ki/Chi and Magic are two completly different things, unrelated to each other in Dragon Ball. Tension/Psych Up is far superior than the Powering Up in the Dragon Ball Universe, since it boosts EVERYTHING. If anything, it's an Evolution of the "simple" Ki/Chi-Charging in Dragon Ball. I mean, barely anyone, even the Martial Artists, know how to control Ki/Chi in DB, while in Dragon Quest IX literally every Party-Member, even if it never fought or trained, can use it and/or get buffed with it.
Even Erinn, a simple girl, which runs the Quester's Rest, is able to go Super High Tension with no Problemeronis.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just find it interesting how exactly you got the Idea that DQIX is the Past of Dragon Ball, since it really doesn't fit, seen how much more advanced literally everyone is compared to early Dragon Ball.
Most People would say there are 7 Fyggs and 7 Dragonballs. Fyggs grant Wishes like Dragonballs so there must be a connection. =P

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:51:01 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
Well, we got the Timeline from Dragonball pretty much covered. Dragon Quest IX is not mentioned or referenced anywhere, so the Theory wouldn't even  make sense then.

All you really mentioned was Tension, which falls flat, since it boosts Ki, Mana, Magic and Physical Strength and Ki/Chi and Magic are two completly different things, unrelated to each other in Dragon Ball. Tension/Psych Up is far superior than the Powering Up in the Dragon Ball Universe, since it boosts EVERYTHING. If anything, it's an Evolution of the "simple" Ki/Chi-Charging in Dragon Ball. I mean, barely anyone, even the Martial Artists, know how to control Ki/Chi in DB, while in Dragon Quest IX literally every Party-Member, even if it never fought or trained, can use it and/or get buffed with it.
Even Erinn, a simple girl, which runs the Quester's Rest, is able to go Super High Tension with no Problemeronis.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just find it interesting how exactly you got the Idea that DQIX is the Past of Dragon Ball, since it really doesn't fit, seen how much more advanced literally everyone is compared to early Dragon Ball.
Most People would say there are 7 Fyggs and 7 Dragonballs. Fyggs grant Wishes like Dragonballs so there must be a connection. =P

I will repeat myself.  I mentioned that this things HINT TOWARDS THAT POSSIBILITY.  I did not say I believed that Dragon Quest IX happened before Dragon Ball, more that there was a possibility, and that there were a few similarities that might suggest that.  I know there are conflicts, which is exactly why I presented it as a theory. 

I guess I should explain myself a tad further.  The Dragon Ball history is ambiguous enough that I did not look at this from a historic standpoint.  I'm looking at it from the angle of the people who made DQIX. 

For example, hairstyles and special articles of clothing make sense to throw in a game for nostalgia.  But take the Observatory for example.  That seems incredibly similar to the concept of Kami's Tower, but that bring us the question of why they made that design choice.  It's different enough that it doesn't really seem like a nostalgia choice, and yet there's definitely a similarity.  So why?

This is what led me to this theory.  Game creators sometimes put hidden ideas within games that aren't very clear, and I noticed a few similarities between the universe, and wondered "maybe this is supposed to signify a connection"? 

And once again, I want to make it very clear.  I do not believe this to be true, nor would I willing to bet on it.  It mentions nowhere in the DBZ timeline nor in DBIX that there's a connection, and everything I mentioned could still be taken as design choice made for DBZ fans or just to have fun.   I am not denying that.  I simply think that maybe, just maybe, due to the strange nature of some of these similarities, that perhaps they are hinting at there being a connection between the two universes.  I've even considered it being on the multiple universes mentioned by Beerus, which might actually be a more solid theory.  But yeah, those are my thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:07:03 AM by Shyruni, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 03:18:26 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Welp, it was unneccesary to repeat yourself. I know it's a theory of yours and I wanted to discuss that. I never claimed you believed in that, I was discussing your theory and the hints you presented.
If you post something like that, maybe do a better job researching beforehand. There are no hints towards that possibility and the 2 Worlds don't have anything in common besides the same Artstyle.

Welp, didn't saw you editing before posting. Lemme edit my Post.

The Observatory is a throwback to Dragon Quest IV, V and VI's Zenithia. Basically a place where Angel-like beings and a powerful dragon live. And the whole Story about it's Place and the Yggdrasil Tree has NOTHING to do with Kami's Lookout. It cannot even be compared.

"The Almighty" created the World and later was enraged because all the humans started wars and stopped believing in him. When he was about to destroy the world, his Daughter Celestria stopped him and became the Yggdrasil Tree to prove that there are good humans. How will she prove it by becoming a tree you may ask? Well, the only way to restore her, to her human form is by getting enough benevolessence. Benevolessence is basically the materialized form of gratitude.
So "The Almighty" created the "Angels" and build Observatory around the Tree/his Daughter. The "Angels" only have one purpose: Gathering Benevolessence. They don't care about humans, most even despise them. All they want is the Benevolessence to restore their Gods Daughter. They are no Guardian Angels or Protectors, they DO NOT care about the world or humans and they could care less if something happens to it/them and the Observatory ist not really used to observe the world or humanity. It's just the home for these Angelic Beings.

Put that in Contrast to Kami and the previous god, who always tried to protect the Planet and the Humans. Kami banished his evil side and later on was willing to kill hisself, just to get rid of Piccolo. Later he fused with Piccolo, to once again, save the planet and humanity. Since early Dragon Ball, the Lookout was used to actually look over the world and humanity.
So how is it similiar? On the other Hand, we have a God, who is sick and tired of all the humans and wants them dead and on the other hand we have a caring god who is willing to die just to protect his people and watches over them from his Lookout.

I agree, that Developers often put in cameos to other work. Like Chun-Li in Breath of Fire and stuff. They are fun and I'm really a fan of those, because they're so random at times, but this is no cameo and/or hint at Dragon Ball. It's a completly different thing.
It shares more similiarities with the Adam and Eve Story than anything. Especially people getting judged if they eat and wish something of the Fyggs.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:57:06 AM by Morrison »

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:35:37 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek

TENSIONNNN-HAAA!
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:57:45 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
Welp, it was unneccesary to repeat yourself. I know it's a theory of yours and I wanted to discuss that. I never claimed you believed in that, I was discussing your theory and the hints you presented.
If you post something like that, maybe do a better job researching beforehand. There are no hints towards that possibility and the 2 Worlds don't have anything in common besides the same Artstyle.

Welp, didn't saw you editing before posting. Lemme edit my Post.

The Observatory is a throwback to Dragon Quest IV, V and VI's Zenithia. Basically a place where Angel-like beings and a powerful dragon live. And the whole Story about it's Place and the Yggdrasil Tree has NOTHING to do with Kami's Lookout. It cannot even be compared.

"The Almighty" created the World and later was enraged because all the humans started wars and stopped believing in him. When he was about to destroy the world, his Daughter Celestria stopped him and became the Yggdrasil Tree to prove that there are good humans. How will she prove it by becoming a tree you may ask? Well, the only way to restore her, to her human form is by getting enough benevolessence. Benevolessence is basically the materialized form of gratitude.
So "The Almighty" created the "Angels" and build Observatory around the Tree/his Daughter. The "Angels" only have one purpose: Gathering Benevolessence. They don't care about humans, most even despise them. All they want is the Benevolessence to restore their Gods Daughter. They are no Guardian Angels or Protectors, they DO NOT care about the world or humans and they could care less if something happens to it/them and the Observatory ist not really used to observe the world or humanity. It's just the home for these Angelic Beings.

Put that in Contrast to Kami and the previous god, who always tried to protect the Planet and the Humans. Kami banished his evil side and later on was willing to kill hisself, just to get rid of Piccolo. Later he fused with Piccolo, to once again, save the planet and humanity. Since early Dragon Ball, the Lookout was used to actually look over the world and humanity.

So how is it similiar? On the other Hand, we have a God, who is sick and tired of all the humans and wants them dead and on the other hand we have a caring god who is willing to die just to protect his people and watches over them from his Lookout.

I agree, that Developers often put in cameos to other work. Like Chun-Li in Breath of Fire and stuff. But this is not one of the times. It's a completly different thing.

The character of the gods themselves are different, but the overall setup is similar.  I get what you're saying, I just found the particular similarities of the lookout to be interesting.

I guess what I don't understand how this theory holds no water to you.  True, it has faults, but there's nothing harmful or anything about it.  I agree, it's very basic and could use work, but I don't see why that's reason to throw it out entirely.  The entire point of this argument was to bring up a possibility, so there's bound to be things that don't make sense.   

They might not be great proof, but there are in fact similarities that could be taken as either symbolic or simple art decisions, and I don't understand why one simply cannot exist to you.  I get you don't agree, but the fact that you say that my theory has absolutely nothing going for it, I disagree.  All I attempted to do was prove that a possibility exists, and I think I succeeded in that, but if you think that there is not even a 1% that my theory could be a possibility, I would like to hear a detailed explanation on why every single point I brought up has a absolutely no chance of being connection to Dragon Ball whatsoever. 

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:22:04 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
TENSIONNNN-HAAA!

...For some reason I read that as "Tenshinhan."  :-[

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 04:41:13 AM »

Offline GogetaAR

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Nintendo ID: AholaR
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
...For some reason I read that as "Tenshinhan."  :-[
I thought I was the only one.

Made by Kaiza.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
    • View Profile
  • I'm Mystic Vegito! Hit me with your best shot!
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
I haven't played Dragon Quest. But my mind is still blown.

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 05:32:41 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
The character of the gods themselves are different, but the overall setup is similar.  I get what you're saying, I just found the particular similarities of the lookout to be interesting.
I guess what I don't understand how this theory holds no water to you.
There's problem numero uno. It's not the a similar Setup.
One Heavenly Palace and its people was made so there is someone who takes care of the Yggdrasil Tree and the other Palace is literally God's Palace where he lives and watches over his people. The only simialrity they have is what? They float in the sky. They serve a completly different purpose and do not share in any way shape or form any similarties.
Heck, it's not even God's Palace. The Realm of the Almighty is something completly different again.
Also I didn't find Korin's Tower and/or Kami's Lookout in DQIX, so it's impossible for them to be in any way connected to Dragon Ball.

It holds no water to me, because it simply is in no way connected to Dragon Ball. It connects do Dragon Quest IV, V and VI where you go to a place that is like the observatory. If there would be anything, that clearly relates or even points to to Kami's Lookout in the slightest way, I'd wholeheartedly agree, but there is no such thing.

True, it has faults, but there's nothing harmful or anything about it.  I agree, it's very basic and could use work, but I don't see why that's reason to throw it out entirely.  The entire point of this argument was to bring up a possibility, so there's bound to be things that don't make sense.
So you post a theory, that is based on false facts and lacking research, which is proven wrong in an instant if you see check the crystalclear evidence that is against it and that's NOT a reason to throw it out entirely?
...What? xD
Also you disregard already established facts in DragonBall and the Dragon Quest Mothership Titles, DQIX connects and/or is referring to. Just because you ignore these doesn't mean they're not there.

It is not harmful in any way, I agree. But I'm just this one Idiot, that likes to talk about these theories. I often tried to connect Dragon Ball to Dragon Quest, since they're both my favorite Anime/Game-Series, but most of it, especially when researched was simple Art Direction by Toriyama to please Dragon Ball Fans that also play the Series.
Like in DQ V, where the player must choose a bride. The Bachlerottes were Bianca and Flora. Bianca looked a little like Lazuli and Flora a little like Bulma.
Heck, Flora and her Family were a rich family too, so one could draw the line OH YEAH! Bulma's Ancestor. But that's not how it works. There's no further evidence besides the Art Direction from the Artist Akira Toriyama. If the Game's Style wouldn't be Toriyamas, no one would even compare this to Dragon Ball in first place.

They might not be great proof, but there are in fact similarities that could be taken as either symbolic or simple art decisions, and I don't understand why one simply cannot exist to you.  I get you don't agree, but the fact that you say that my theory has absolutely nothing going for it, I disagree.  All I attempted to do was prove that a possibility exists, and I think I succeeded in that, but if you think that there is not even a 1% that my theory could be a possibility, I would like to hear a detailed explanation on why every single point I brought up has a absolutely no chance of being connection to Dragon Ball whatsoever.
I simply don't see any similiarities to Dragon Ball. To other Dragon Quest Titles, where it's also referenced? Yeah. To Dragon Ball? nopeidope. A Cameo here and there, like the DQ Magician at the 22th Budokai? Noice, but doesn't proof sheet.
Your Theory has IMHO nothing going for it, because you ignore and disregard the other DQ Mothership Titles where the stuff is clearly referenced and the "similarities" you see are things like "THEY BOTH FLOAT IN THE SKY! CONNECTION MADE!" "MARTIAL ARTISTS! CONNECTION MADE!". Sorry if I come off as mean, that's not my intention, but to me, these are things that are not related to Dragon Ball per se.
Dragon Quest is a RPG. RPGs have floating Castles in the Sky, they have Martial Artists that fight with Claws, Staffs and can control Ki/Chi. Toriyama didn't invent that and it has absolutly nothing going for it besides being drawn in the same style.
There is no possibility of DQIX being in the Dragon Ball Universe because it's already proven to not be in it, thanks to the official freakin' Timeline and the other Dragon Quest Mothership Titles.
The Martial Artists in DQIX are WAY more advanced then the ones in Dragon Ball. In DB, Martial Artists could train for years and would not learn how to control Ki, form Energy Blasts, boost Power and so on. In DQIX literally everyone, even a normal Girl like Erinn, can, without even battling or training once, go Super High Tension, a Technqiue, which boosts Physical Strength, Magic, Ki/Chi, everything at the same time. If such a Technqiue existed before the start of Dragon Ball, how the floink did people forget about it? How come no one can use it? How come no one can simply use Magic if they want to as it's clearly something they should be able to use.
Also let's not forget that Dragon Ball seperated Magic from Ki, they are completly different things. So how in the world is Ki an evolved Form of Tension/Psych Up/Charge Up from Dragon Quest when Ki is not Magic in any way?
Refering to following...
Martial Arts would obviously continue, and perhaps tension would come under greater understanding in the future and become known as the modern term, chi.

Also there is this one simple thing, that makes your Theory impossible. Korin's tower and Kami's lookout should be on DQIX's Overworld, but they aren't. Kami's Lookout should be there and connected to Korin's Tower, since Roshi did not exist and did not receive the Power Pole from Korin.
Referring to this...
but my theory also involves this being in the past of Dragon Ball, not during the timeline of DBZ.  I'm talking hundreds of years before then.

In the end of the day, your theory isn't more than the "7 Emeralds + 7 Dragon Balls = Sonic Universe x DB Universe"-Theories out there to me.
I just like to discuss about this stuff.

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »

Offline yhoho555

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 6 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Game Of Thrones :3
  • I am a: Ultimate Majin
Dang dude 0-0... Thats just awesome xD

You can call urself a mind blower now  :r_flame:
Cause you blowed my mind xD

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 05:51:11 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile

The whole Sonic thing is a bit different as those are made by completely different developers, as well as the 7 emeralds originally being 6, but I do understand what you're saying. 

Also there is this one simple thing, that makes your Theory impossible. Korin's tower and Kami's lookout should be on DQIX's Overworld, but they aren't. Kami's Lookout should be there and connected to Korin's Tower, since Roshi did not exist and did not receive the Power Pole from Korin.

Well, it could be that the Lookout and Korin's tower were created later, but I do realize there's no concrete evidence for that either.

This whole theory focuses on DQIX as it's own thing, as I'm not sure that even the other DQ games take place in the same universe. 

The Martial Artists in DQIX are WAY more advanced then the ones in Dragon Ball. In DB, Martial Artists could train for years and would not learn how to control Ki, form Energy Blasts, boost Power and so on. In DQIX literally everyone, even a normal Girl like Erinn, can, without even battling or training once, go Super High Tension, a Technqiue, which boosts Physical Strength, Magic, Ki/Chi, everything at the same time. If such a Technqiue existed before the start of Dragon Ball, how the floink did people forget about it? How come no one can use it? How come no one can simply use Magic if they want to as it's clearly something they should be able to use.
Also let's not forget that Dragon Ball seperated Magic from Ki, they are completly different things. So how in the world is Ki an evolved Form of Tension/Psych Up/Charge Up from Dragon Quest when Ki is not Magic in any way?

I never said Tension = Ki, more that it was dealt with in an oddly similar way and that it may have connections. 

Part of the point of this whole thing is actually somewhat of an investigation for me.  The possibility is there, and I'm interested in digging in deeper and trying to see if there's a solution for the bugs.  I'll keep thinking about the whole Tension issue, maybe there's something I'm missing.

________________________________________________________________________________________

One thing I would like to point out about DBZ's timeline is that the history of DBZ is rather vague and doesn't talk too much about the before Age, so it could be then, but I agree that there are issues with that concept too, so I'll put some thought into it.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
I've never played Dragon Quest so I just scrolled quick through the thing and saw the pictures. It does look quite DBZ inspired.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
Please keep in mind those of you reading this for the first time that this is VERY bare-bones.  There are certainly issues, and chances are I'm completely wrong, so keep that in mind.  Still, thanks for reading!  8)