* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • Today at 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • Today at 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\

Topic: English Dub VS Sub  (Read 5974 times)

English Dub VS Sub
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
Funimation
http://a.pomf.se/zxuzdt.webm

Japanese
http://a.pomf.se/wuiavg.webm

I personally like the japanese music more, but like funimation's voices.

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Subtitled generally, except for the first three movies. In that case, all about the Ocean Dub (mostly because it's true to the Japanese version in just about every way, and has absolutely superb casting and acting).

The FUNI dub blows, especially for the main characters. The villains starting with the Cell saga sound alright (some, like Cell are downright fantastic), but are hurt by terrible out-of-character dialogue.
Most of the FUNI dub music is god awful, too. And even though in some DVD releases you can switch back to the Japanese background music, it doesn't help because the vocal themes are all cut, and you still have to deal with poor acting.

I have some nostalgia for the Ocean dub, I'll admit. Generally, it had far better acting and voices, but suffered from the same bad writing. At least some of the music was decent, though.

Big Green gets points simply for hilarity. It's so bad that it's good.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
I can only compare Funimation and Subbed. I haven't seen the others.

And although lots of people may disagree with me, I have to say Funimation. Not only did I watch DBZ first with dubs, I remember trying out subbed for a few episodes. I didn't mind the voice change as it grew on me quite fast, but what bothered me was the music. Obviously, it's a difference in tastes/culture but I just found it hard for my ears to take in.

So with that, my vote goes with Funimation.
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
You do realize that the two major releases for Z's anime have the English audio track with the Japanese music, right?

Long rambling rant ahead, be warned.

I've probably stated my opinion on this a dozen times over, though I don't think I've given a formal reason here, so eh, why not. I usually don't have a strong preference when it comes to dubs Vs subs. A lot of anime fans will get their panties in a bunch over this, but as long as the dub is accurate, I'll watch whichever version I like the voice acting in better.

Now, Dragon Ball Z on the other hand... Let's be frank here. While opinions abound on the quality of the acting itself, the early FUNimation and Ocean dubs were botched jobs in the sense that it didn't handle the translation well. Some of it is due to censorship (like "Kami" seemingly being the name of a certain character as opposed to his title as God of Earth, because he's now the "guardian" instead), and other times it's just plain stupid that doesn't fit in with how it was originally presented ("YES YES YES! YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU. CAN. WIN!). As someone who started reading the series first, it was very jarring when I attempted to scope out the anime with YouTube clips and noticed that the dialogue was very different from what I had read... but was almost one-for-one when reading subtitles. I gravitated toward the Japanese version of the series pretty naturally.

Because it has a more accurate translation, I'm actually rather fond of the Kai dub, though from what I understand, they also seem to leave some plot details out here in there for one reason or another, like the notion that Piccolo was a demon. The voice acting is also more polished due to the actors' experience. Many of FUNimation's veteran voice actors were green when they started dubbing over Z, and they seem much more suited to their roles now. It's definitely my favorite English version of the series, though I'm partial to some of the Ocean voice actors.

Because the translation for both the Ocean and FUNimation versions of Z are, quite frankly, bad, it more comes down to the choice of voice actors and their performance between the two of them, and I'll be honest -- early on at least, Ocean did a much better job with actual performances. It took a while for FUNi's voice actors to actually settle into their roles by comparison. The Ocean team had quite a bit of prior job experience while FUNimation's were basically pulled off the street, so I don't think this is any shocker. I have a preference for the voices in the Ocean dub mainly because I feel like most of the major roles were better cast and better performed.

While I'm very fond of some FUNimation voice actors, like Dameon Clarke as Cell and Chris Ranger as Mr. Satan, they're also not characters who are around for the vast majority of the series. Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo were, in my humble opinion, simply better cast in the Ocean dub. Scott McNeil especially does a top notch voice for Piccolo. Again, this is strictly my opinion, but if you cast someone as a (former) demon king, you really should be able to hear some aspect of that in their performance, and I just don't hear that in Sabat's. Heck, since I'm using him as an example, here's a nice little video showcasing a comparison between the three.

I do generally prefer the Japanese voice actors, though. It's usually not a matter of English voice actors as simply liking a lot of the performances and impressions in the Japanese version for me. Like I said, Dameon Clarke is a great Cell. I'd go so far as to say that he *ahem* perfectly encapsulates what's so likable about him as a villain, but Wakamoto just does an overall better performance and it would be difficult to top.

But those are just my opinions. I know people get riled up over this when it comes to anime in general, but Dragon Ball is especially bad. If you need me, I'll be in my bunker waiting for the shitstorm.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
I've watched Dragon Ball in 3 different languages: Japenese with subs, English dub (FUNImation) and Latin American dub. So far my favorite is the latin one. I found the video quality awesome and they kept all the Japanese names for the skills and some characters like Piccoro.

It might just be my nostalgia deciding for me since I grew up watching Latin American Dragon Ball and then I tried the other languages. Also, I haven't seen the whole thing in the 3 languages, though: I've seen most of it in Latin American, about half the Saiyan Saga and played the games in English dub and a couple of movies and episodes in Japanese.

I can't really pick between Japanese and English. They both cancel out each other's pros and cons but Goku's voice not being changed since he was a kid in the Japanese dub really pisses me off.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline Xarlok

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 31 / 6
    • View Profile
  • The wise one ...
  • I am a: Dark Warrior
I complete detest any type of dubs

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »

Offline Evangelion

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 3
    • View Profile
    • Dem SSJ addicts...
  • I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
  • I am a: Poko Priest
voice acting: sub
music, especially the openings: german dub

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I've watched Dragon Ball in 3 different languages: Japenese with subs, English dub (FUNImation) and Latin American dub. So far my favorite is the latin one. I found the video quality awesome and they kept all the Japanese names for the skills and some characters like Piccoro.

I'm just going to point this out here, but Piccolo actually is his Japanese name, not, "Piccoro". Pretty much every time it's written out in English letters in something from Japan, it's spelled "Piccolo". There's a reason for this.

Many of the sounds we're used to making in English simply don't exist in Japanese, like the "l" sound. The closest approximation they have to it is "r". This is often mocked when people fake doing Japanese accents and the reason why this mangled version of English phrases is called "Engrish". It's also why so many phrases end with an "o" (ex. "Kakarotto" instead of "Kakarot", since we're going with Dragon Ball). Kakarot is actually just fine, it's just that the way language is structured in Japanese, you can't not have that "o" at the end because they don't have a "t" at the end. That said, there are some sounds in Japanese that don't exist in English. The "tsu" in "tsunami" is a good example of one, as many English speakers pronounce it "sunami" (with a silent "t") as a result.

From what I understand about the Latin American dub, there are a lot of quirky translations that don't really make sense (not that many of the FUNimation changes do, but whatever). "Piccoro" is a really stupid change to make if you ask me, simply because he's named directly after an instrument and it mangles the name.

I can't really pick between Japanese and English. They both cancel out each other's pros and cons but Goku's voice not being changed since he was a kid in the Japanese dub really pisses me off.

Nozawa actually uses a different tone and does a deeper voice after Goku has grown up. Changing his voice actor would have probably been too jarring, especially considering how unique Nozawa's voice for him sounds.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
I'm just going to point this out here, but Piccolo actually is his Japanese name, not, "Piccoro". Pretty much every time it's written out in English letters in something from Japan, it's spelled "Piccolo". There's a reason for this.

Many of the sounds we're used to making in English simply don't exist in Japanese, like the "l" sound. The closest approximation they have to it is "r". This is often mocked when people fake doing Japanese accents and the reason why this mangled version of English phrases is called "Engrish". It's also why so many phrases end with an "o" (ex. "Kakarotto" instead of "Kakarot", since we're going with Dragon Ball). Kakarot is actually just fine, it's just that the way language is structured in Japanese, you can't not have that "o" at the end because they don't have a "t" at the end. That said, there are some sounds in Japanese that don't exist in English. The "tsu" in "tsunami" is a good example of one, as many English speakers pronounce it "sunami" (with a silent "t") as a result.

From what I understand about the Latin American dub, there are a lot of quirky translations that don't really make sense (not that many of the FUNimation changes do, but whatever). "Piccoro" is a really stupid change to make if you ask me, simply because he's named directly after an instrument and it mangles the name.

Nozawa actually uses a different tone and does a deeper voice after Goku has grown up. Changing his voice actor would have probably been too jarring, especially considering how unique Nozawa's voice for him sounds.

I meant as in the ponunciation when I talked about "Piccoro" but they did change the written translation too, to match it's pronunciation. That's a very common thing to do when adding words from other languages to spanish; for example: "blue jean" was added to the spanish dictionary and it's spelled "bluyin", which is the literal pronunciation.

I watched Battle of the Gods in Japanese and he still has a ridiculously high-pitched voice. Compared to his latin voice it feels like if a girl was screaming all the time. Also, his latin voice is the deepest of the 3 I've heard. He still doesn't have a deep voice in FUNImation or even latin american but I found the FUNI one tolerable at first and I grew to like it due to the games and the latin seems to suit him perfectly in my opinion. Remember I said watched it only in latin dub at first until I was about 14 when I bought my first DBZ game so it's hard for me to like others more.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »

Offline SSJGGoku

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 10 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Sir, Finishing This Fight.
Where's TeamFourStar's dub? xD
Best I've seen.

Special thanks to Kaiza for this awesome sig!

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »

Offline Vroku

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 36 / 5
    • View Profile
    • Typocalypse
  • Aussie!
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
English forum and most people are familiar with funimations dub, so obviously most people will prefer the funimation english dub.

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »

Offline Mr.Nappa

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 1 / 0
    • View Profile
  • "Are we there yet?" Jackman1488's Bro
  • I am a: Fighter
Bro you gotta add tfs dub.

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
For dragonball?
Dub!~

for regular anime?
depends on the voice actors.

example-

Haruhi - Dub, because the english voice actors did such a outstanding job.
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »

Offline Plasma

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 1 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Guild Master of Unified Rage
  • I am a: Poko Priest
Funimation is my top pick, but I do love a good Japanese dub fight!
Unified Rage

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »

Offline TwistedX

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 3 / 0
    • View Profile
  • I am lightning
  • I am a: Shadow Knight
Ive always enjoyed a sub more then dub, i just always feel more emotion in the voices from the subtitled episodes. in some cases if ive started in the dub i usually prefer the dubbed version.
Pride    Warriors

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »
    • View Profile
With me it depends on the anime in question, I pefer the Funimation Dub of Dragon Ball Z, as I grew up watching DBZ with Christopher Sabat, Sean Schemmel, and the others as the voices for DBZ. However for anime like Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, I perfer the original dub/sub. Because I HATE the way they made Naruto say Believe it after every blasted sentence!

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »

Offline Aethelred

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Just trying to figure out my gender
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
I like to watch in both sub and dub. But I think it depends on the voice actors and the theme of the anime. Though I watch a lot more subbed anime, sometimes I'll check the dub for that anime, to see it is good enough for me or not.
Am I allowed to be an edgy emo teen girl even though I'm a male adult?

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »

Offline Sjjvegeta

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Love to have fun in dbo
  • I am a: Human
Dub sucks because its not even translated good its just a american version of anime into there own phrase. 2 they cut of alot scense and some scense are idited and 3 the intros them songs are idited and reduce d episodede sometimes. So yea sub is way better than nothing cut the right translation and the right them song and the right amount of episode so sub better dub sucks ass

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Jesus Christ.  Dafuq did I just read? @_@

He's just pointing out the FUNImation dub is more like "FUNIball Z" than Dragon Ball, pointing out the heavy editing, censorship, and generally poor quality of the dub, to the point where it really has nothing to do with the source material.

In other words, the same thing I've been saying for years. :P

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
  • Honor: 78 / 16
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
See idk the dub names. But I've been watching DBZ since like 97? maybe 98. And I always liked the ones that aired those times. Basically the ones they play on Dbz.Tv .

Never liked the Jap voices because It didn't do Goku voice justice. Plus, I liked the rock music they used in the movies too.

English Dub >>>

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Honestly, I think the only people who prefer the FUNI voices do so because of nostalgia.
Anyone who truly understands these characters knows that the FUNImation dub chose the voices poorly, not understanding the characters at all.

For instance, Goku isn't supposed to speak like a Superman wanna-be, with a terrible Scooby Doo giggle, and comments that would make a 4 year-old cringe. Nevermind that Sean Schemmel phones in his performances like no tomorrow.
Ironic, as his performance as Nail is actually quite good.

Goku's an innocent, idiot man-child. He cares nothing for justice, or heroics. He's no defender.
Woman or not, Masako Nozawa is the perfect fit for the role. Plus... she, you know... emotes and acts in the role.

See idk the dub names. But I've been watching DBZ since like 97? maybe 98.

'99 at the earliest. Before then, you would have heard the Ocean dub voices. Actually, even past that, it was a long time before they ever dubbed the first two seasons and aired it on TV.

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
  • Honor: 78 / 16
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
Honestly, I think the only people who prefer the FUNI voices do so because of nostalgia.
Anyone who truly understands these characters knows that the FUNImation dub chose the voices poorly, not understanding the characters at all.

For instance, Goku isn't supposed to speak like a Superman wanna-be, with a terrible Scooby Doo giggle, and comments that would make a 4 year-old cringe. Nevermind that Sean Schemmel phones in his performances like no tomorrow.
Ironic, as his performance as Nail is actually quite good.

Goku's an innocent, idiot man-child. He cares nothing for justice, or heroics. He's no defender.
Woman or not, Masako Nozawa is the perfect fit for the role. Plus... she, you know... emotes and acts in the role.

'99 at the earliest. Before then, you would have heard the Ocean dub voices. Actually, even past that, it was a long time before they ever dubbed the first two seasons and aired it on TV.

No wayy, It was before that because i remember watching it on Fox or something like that. Then a few later after it came on cartoon network.

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »

Offline Bardock

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 85 / 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
  • Legendary warrior.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
No wayy, It was before that because i remember watching it on Fox or something like that. Then a few later after it came on cartoon network.
ye foxkids first then cartoon network and after that yorin
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

like and subscribe please

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Super Kami Guru approves this
I only 'like' (and I say that term loosely) FUNI because of Nostalgia. They made a lot of bad choices, and Sean didn't really fit Goku for me. Don't even get me started on Vegeta's voice.
Ocean dub is good, but Ocean lost it's charisma for me during the Buu Saga. Mixture of bad lines, bad choices, and voices constantly switching.

I actually like TFS' dub of DBZ english wise. If they seriously considered doing a dub, it would be great. All the voices match very well.

Japanese Subs I <3 because everything fits, especially Goku.

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

English Dub VS Sub
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

Yes way. The Ocean dub ran from 1996 through 1998, covering the first two seasons (Saiyajin arc, up until just after Goku arrives on Namek), and the first three movies.

FUNI didn't start dubbing in house until 1999, and they didn't get to the first two seasons until like 2005, having started where the Ocean dub had been cut off.

Ocean dub is good, but Ocean lost it's charisma for me during the Buu Saga. Mixture of bad lines, bad choices, and voices constantly switching.

I actually like TFS' dub of DBZ english wise. If they seriously considered doing a dub, it would be great. All the voices match very well.

A lot of the issues with the Ocean dub (when they came back after the 3rd season) is they were actually working with a different studio. Same VAs, but different staff, and a lower budget than even the FUNI dub. As a result, the quality definitely dropped.

And yes, if TFS decided to do an official dub, it would pretty easily work well.