[November 09, 2017, 03:10:56 PM]

question by Tofu
[November 05, 2017, 02:42:32 AM]

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • Today at 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • Today at 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]

Topic: When did Gohan learn to fly?  (Read 1537 times)

When did Gohan learn to fly?
« on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:32 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
When did Gohan learn to fly? I recently started watching DBZ again from ep 1 and I noticed he never flew when training with Piccolo, even when the dude dropped him off a cliff and told him to find out how to get back up.

During the fight with Nappa, he didnt seem to know how to fly at all and suddenly, after Goku lifts him and Krillin up when Vegeta kills Nappa, he can fly! At first he is grabbing Goku by the leg but then he's just floating in the air by himself.

People in the internet say Piccolo taught him but if that was the case, I'm pretty sure he would've done it at some point during the fight.

My theory is that he learned to fly by watching people do it or just by himself, just like he learned to manipulate ki while living alone in the plains, and after Goku lifted him in the air he actually tried it for the first time. Of course, I expect @Nia to post at some time and correct me :P.

P.S.: When I say he didn't fly before, I'm not counting the sudden bursts of anger or fear that made him super strong.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »

Offline West

• Global Moderator
  • 6 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 80 / 1
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Acc
  • Hail Doom Kay
  • I am a: Gun Maniac
Maybe it's on the manga and they skipped it because it lack importance?
I don't read manga so I wouldn't know, just saying :P
R.I.P. Hall

|  Human Resources Leader for DBO Revelations  |

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 13 / 0
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Still a long way to go~♪
  • I am a: Human
Well, when did Goku learn to fly? We didn't see anyone teaching him this Technique, so it most likely happened "off-screen". Same with Gohan.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 05:33:14 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
When did Gohan learn to fly? I recently started watching DBZ again from ep 1 and I noticed he never flew when training with Piccolo, even when the dude dropped him off a cliff and told him to find out how to get back up.

During the fight with Nappa, he didnt seem to know how to fly at all and suddenly, after Goku lifts him and Krillin up when Vegeta kills Nappa, he can fly! At first he is grabbing Goku by the leg but then he's just floating in the air by himself.

People in the internet say Piccolo taught him but if that was the case, I'm pretty sure he would've done it at some point during the fight.

My theory is that he learned to fly by watching people do it or just by himself, just like he learned to manipulate ki while living alone in the plains, and after Goku lifted him in the air he actually tried it for the first time. Of course, I expect @Nia to post at some time and correct me :P.

P.S.: When I say he didn't fly before, I'm not counting the sudden bursts of anger or fear that made him super strong.

Take into account that he was freaking out most of the time he was fighting against Nappa, and stricken with fear, so it's possible Piccolo taught him, and he just wimped out.

The other possibility (which I find unlikely) is, like Goku, he learned by watching it. After all, Goku didn't learn how to do it until the end of his fight with Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai... up until then, he had been using the Kamehame-Ha to fly. However, this suggests that Gohan has Goku's talent for picking up battle skills on the fly, which I find very unlikely, since Gohan tends to be a sub-par fighter the majority of the time, relying purely on brute strength as opposed to actually having any kind of skill.

Mind you, that's all speculation either way.

That or Toriyama just forgot Gohan couldn't fly, and didn't bother to explain it. XD

Maybe it's on the manga and they skipped it because it lack importance?
I don't read manga so I wouldn't know, just saying :P

Nope. It's never explained in the manga either.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 05:49:33 AM »
    • View Profile
Well, when did Goku learn to fly? We didn't see anyone teaching him this Technique, so it most likely happened "off-screen". Same with Gohan.

Goku learned how to fly in the last episode of the original Dragon Ball series while fighting piccolo I believe.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 05:53:42 AM »

Offline SantiHN

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 3
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Plasma Majin
It might be an instinctive skill in saiyans. All saiyans seemed to know how to fly, but i'm not relying on that for my facts:

I remember watching an episode where Goku was carrying Gohan in the Nimbus and Gohan fell into a river or something like that. He then fell off a waterfall I think and was Goku found him on a branch very far away from the waterfall, crying. He then asked him "How did you get all the way up there?" I'm pretty sure I might be wrong in some story details, but it was something like that.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 05:54:54 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Goku learned how to fly in the last episode of the original Dragon Ball series while fighting piccolo I believe.
Well, I think Kami tought it to him and Goku kept it a secret until his final attack. No one, not even Piccolo, Gokus Friends, and most importantly the Viewer/Reader expected that and it's the move that saved his life in this Battle.
But that's just a theory as well, just like Gohan learning it just like that by seeing it. It's never stated, so one can only assume.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 06:24:53 AM »

Offline Aeris

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 5 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Hate the fanboys
  • I am a: Dende Priest
Well, I think Kami tought it to him and Goku kept it a secret until his final attack. No one, not even Piccolo, Gokus Friends, and most importantly the Viewer/Reader expected that and it's the move that saved his life in this Battle.
But that's just a theory as well, just like Gohan learning it just like that by seeing it. It's never stated, so one can only assume.

DB series I believe the first ones who knew to fly were Ten and Chiaotzu, don't remember if them taught it to Goku and the others.

edited, lol xD
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:36:53 AM by Aeris »

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »

Offline Morrison

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
DB series I believe the ones who knew to fly were Ten and Chiaotzu, don't remember if them taught it to Goku and the others.
Yes, in DB only a few People knew how to fly. But there were more than these two. Kuririn, Piccolo (Jr.), and Goku were able to.
Goku used it as a Last Resort Attack against Piccolo (Jr.) at the 23th Tenkaichi Budokai. You can watch it here, if you don't remember what I mean.
It was never stated when and who taught it to him and it most likely happened "offscreen", so it's a surprise.

Nia pretty much nailed the situation with Gohan. Piccolo teached him tons of stuff but Gohan was just too scared to make good use of his teachings.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:51:13 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
Take into account that he was freaking out most of the time he was fighting against Nappa, and stricken with fear, so it's possible Piccolo taught him, and he just wimped out.

I thought this might be a reason too but I there was something, can't remember what exactly, that made me be quite sure he couldn't fly at all.

That or Toriyama just forgot Gohan couldn't fly, and didn't bother to explain it. XD

I actually was thinking this the whole time and I think that's the actual reason but I rather give like a logical explanation instead of blaming Toriyama :P

I remember watching an episode where Goku was carrying Gohan in the Nimbus and Gohan fell into a river or something like that. He then fell off a waterfall I think and was Goku found him on a branch very far away from the waterfall, crying. He then asked him "How did you get all the way up there?" I'm pretty sure I might be wrong in some story details, but it was something like that.

Gohan fell in a river and Goku was chasing him with the flying nimbus but he didn't get to him in time and the thought Gohan had fell off the waterfall just to hear him from above in a random branch comming out of a mountain, yelling and crying. Can't seem to find it on youtube but I loved that whole episode where he goes missing and gets his hat stolen by a sabertooth. I'm pretty sure it's the first episode.

Goku learning to fly was also a surprise. We don't know if he learned it while fighting or learned it off-screen. Pretty much the same as Gohan's case but Goku's actually saved his life and won the fight.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
You all seem to be forgetting that, if you want to get technical, Gohan first flies during the fight with Raditz. Dragon Ball or otherwise, it simply wouldn't be possible to jump forward at someone from that angle, that far away if he wasn't. On top of that, an aura surrounds him. Getting thrown into a mountain doesn't actually seem to have been flying by comparison because Piccolo's momentum would account for the trajectory and we can't really tell if he's accelerating because it's a comic. (if you want to go strictly by the manga, that is, which seems to be what we're doing)

It might actually just be an instinctive fight-or-flight sort of response as opposed to something that was taught to him. That or he might have seen his father flying before, though considering he still uses Kinto'un and Piccolo is the first character we see in the series using flight for travel, I question how much he would have used it in his home life. That said, this is Goku we're talking about, and even though it's not mentioned in the series, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to train Gohan as a toddler before Chi-Chi whisked him away for his own safety and he picked up how to fly that way...

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
In the case of the stuff from the first episode, keep in mind that was anime-only filler. I don't think Toriyama had a hand in it at all, and that it can be brushed off as completely non-canon.

As for Goku suddenly knowing Bukujutsu, I'm fairly certain he didn't learn it until he was fighting with Piccolo, simply because he did everything except use it before then (like the aforementioned use of the Kamehame-Ha as a form of flight).
I can't imagine Goku would have used the Kamehame-Ha in it's place, simply because it would require much more Ki usage. Again, though... it's merely speculation.

I actually was thinking this the whole time and I think that's the actual reason but I rather give like a logical explanation instead of blaming Toriyama :P

Keep in mind that Toriyama basically pulled this series out of his butt on a weekly basic. Never forget this is a guy that created a character who couldn't smell the foul stench of Bacterian because he had no nose, only to, in a few chapters later, have him snort boogers at a disguised Kame'senin. When questioned about this, he pretty much replied with "I refuse to answer that!"

I'm honestly not blaming him per se. Had the series been well thought out, it wouldn't have been nearly amusing.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."