[November 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM]

Anyone from Canada? by Yuhao
[November 09, 2017, 03:10:56 PM]

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Yesterday at 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • Yesterday at 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • Yesterday at 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]

Topic: Something's wrong with the voices here  (Read 2083 times)

Something's wrong with the voices here
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
So I got all nostalgic and started watching DBZ from episode one and I noticed Goku's voice to be a little... weird and guessed it would be changing through the anime or something but then I heard Vegeta's and I got pissed so I looked that same scene on Youtube and turns out it has a different voice actor and it's also inverted vertically (or maybe the youtube video is inverted, like many animes). Also the narrator is non-existent where I'm watching it... What's wrong?

I'm watching DBZ here since it's pretty much the only dbz site I know of http://www.dbz.tv/

Here's the youtube video I found with Vegeta's original voice

Edit: I found a site with the original voices and the episodes the way they're supposed to be. Whatever I was watching was a mess... The first scene in the first episode was Raditz landing, being the random farmer the first character to ever appear... I'd still love to get a better site recommended. I don't like this one.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:15:18 PM by Tofu »
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »

Offline SSJGGoku

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 10 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Sir, Finishing This Fight.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
I don't know what to say xD because that's the site I use to watch Dragon Ball Z

Special thanks to Kaiza for this awesome sig!

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I don't know what to say xD because that's the site I use to watch Dragon Ball Z

You use www.dbz.tv too? I use that site to watch long animes like Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail but they dissapointed me with Dragon Ball... The whole scene where Gohan goes missing and loses his hat in episode one is gone! I remember that scene from when I was a kid and I loved it!
MarineCorps

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline iCpryde

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 20 / 1
    • View Profile
    • The Union Dance Crew
  • The Uprise is coming!
The original North American dub was done in Canada than Funimation bought the rights and hired new guys which is why they sound different in the early episodes. Afterwords Funimation went back and re dubbed the old episodes to have consistency throughout the entire series.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
The original North American dub was done in Canada than Funimation bought the rights and hired new guys which is why they sound different in the early episodes. Afterwords Funimation went back and re dubbed the old episodes to have consistency throughout the entire series.

That explains a lot. Episode 1 and 2 are summed up in a single one in the site I watched it first though. Apparetly a lot of stuff was skipped...
MarineCorps

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.

Actually, the Ocean dub was still part of the FUNImation dub. What happened is, FUNI let the contract run out so they could produce it for cheaper, after it hit with success on Cartoon Network.

Episodes 1-53 were dubbed by Ocean, made up of something like the first 64 episodes of the uncut release (this is because FUNI and Saban dumbed it down for kids).
The first three movies were also dubbed with the Ocean cast, but were left uncut, and featured the original Japanese soundtrack in addition to the dialogue being accurate to the Japanese version, including the proper pronunciation of Kaioken (although Genki-dama was still Americanized as Spirit Bomb). These movies were produced primarily by Pioneer.
The Ocean cast reunited starting from the 4th season on (when Trunks first appears), but these were done with an even lower budget than the FUNI dub, and even worse time constraints, funded by the Blue Water group... who is also rather infamous for the embarassing "Big Green" dub (although, the Big Green dub is separate from the Ocean dub).

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Actually, the Ocean dub was still part of the FUNImation dub. What happened is, FUNI let the contract run out so they could produce it for cheaper, after it hit with success on Cartoon Network.

Episodes 1-53 were dubbed by Ocean, made up of something like the first 64 episodes of the uncut release (this is because FUNI and Saban dumbed it down for kids).
The first three movies were also dubbed with the Ocean cast, but were left uncut, and featured the original Japanese soundtrack in addition to the dialogue being accurate to the Japanese version, including the proper pronunciation of Kaioken (although Genki-dama was still Americanized as Spirit Bomb). These movies were produced primarily by Pioneer.
The Ocean cast reunited starting from the 4th season on (when Trunks first appears), but these were done with an even lower budget than the FUNI dub, and even worse time constraints, funded by the Blue Water group... who is also rather infamous for the embarassing "Big Green" dub (although, the Big Green dub is separate from the Ocean dub).

I was waiting for @Nia to find the thread and post something like this. You never fail me :P

I read something about the Ocean dub stuff but I didn't really understand it well and relied on the forums :D. So the shorter version was made by Ocean up to episode 64 of the FUNImation dub and then it's just FUNI dub all the way to the end? Guess I can go back to my usual site after episode 64 then?

Now that you posted here, I take the oportunity to ask you why Vegeta has different colors at the beginning. I bet you know since you're like a living DBZ Wiki.
MarineCorps

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 0
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
I'm watching DBZ here since it's pretty much the only dbz site I know of http://www.dbz.tv/
Man. Leave that bitchin popo ass website and use dis:
http://dbzepisode.org/
Ur website's only the original broadcast version of DBZ (276 episodes), rather than the uncut version (291 episodes) which is in ma website. It has all from DB DBZ DBGT and DBKAI so yeh. and the DBZ Episodes are all funimation =D

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:12:35 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I was waiting for @Nia to find the thread and post something like this. You never fail me :P

I read something about the Ocean dub stuff but I didn't really understand it well and relied on the forums :D. So the shorter version was made by Ocean up to episode 64 of the FUNImation dub and then it's just FUNI dub all the way to the end? Guess I can go back to my usual site after episode 64 then?

Now that you posted here, I take the oportunity to ask you why Vegeta has different colors at the beginning. I bet you know since you're like a living DBZ Wiki.

Yeah, the Ocean dub ends like an episode after Goku begins picking on the Ginyu Force, and the 4th season with that cast is pretty much impossible to find (it was never released on DVD, even though it aired in both Canada and the UK). I also may not be 100% correct on the episode number (although, I'm fairly close at the least).
Even though the violence is toned down, and scenes/episodes are outright cutout, the FUNI dub reuses the majority of these scripts, so it's not like you'd be missing much, though (both dubs are absurdly inaccurate, the only difference really being that FUNI has more episodes, has the blood, and has embarrassing attempts at acting). To be fair, there's a few parts that differ, like Vegeta explaining about the Oozaru transformation, which the Ocean dub made completely bonkers, or FUNI referencing a line from the Ocean dub that wasn't even used in the script.
The exception, again, are the first 3 movies, which Ocean/Pioneer made very close to the original Japanese version.

As for Vegeta's wonky color scheme, that's simply because at the time the episode had aired, Toriyama hadn't yet shown Vegeta in the manga, so Toei just made up random colors. I do find it odd that Nappa was colored accurately, though.
Although, while I'm certainly glad they fixed that, I always thought it weird that they never updated Goku's appearance to closer match the manga (in the anime, he's got a fairly pale complexion and wears a reddish orange uniform, while his manga appearance wears a golden yellow outfit and has a bit of a tan). Another mystery is the Namekians, who have three fingers and a thumb in the manga, while they grew an extra finger in the anime.

...Holy hell, I am a tremendous nerd sometimes.  :o

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »

Offline Malu

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 2
    • View Profile
  • 안녕하세요 ~~ ^^
  • I am a: Karma Majin
brasilian dub is best :D

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:37:23 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
As for Vegeta's wonky color scheme, that's simply because at the time the episode had aired, Toriyama hadn't yet shown Vegeta in the manga, so Toei just made up random colors. I do find it odd that Nappa was colored accurately, though.
Although, while I'm certainly glad they fixed that, I always thought it weird that they never updated Goku's appearance to closer match the manga (in the anime, he's got a fairly pale complexion and wears a reddish orange uniform, while his manga appearance wears a golden yellow outfit and has a bit of a tan). Another mystery is the Namekians, who have three fingers and a thumb in the manga, while they grew an extra finger in the anime.

...Holy hell, I am a tremendous nerd sometimes.  :o

When you say Toriyama hadn't yet shown Vegeta you mean shown his colors, right? Because they couldn't have just invented two enemy characters and suddenly match the character the author had designed (except for the colors).

I did know about the namekians extra finger but not about the Goku outfit or skin color... Guess the anime creators liked it more that way.

Yeah, we all get our nerf moments I guess. I know a lot of Bleach but not nearly as much as you know of Dragon Ball D:
MarineCorps

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:05 AM »

Offline SonKagu

• Shenron
  • Honor: 46 / 10
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Fighter
That nappa voice.... i forgot what his voice sounded like after watching TFS

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 05:01:50 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
When you say Toriyama hadn't yet shown Vegeta you mean shown his colors, right? Because they couldn't have just invented two enemy characters and suddenly match the character the author had designed (except for the colors).

I did know about the namekians extra finger but not about the Goku outfit or skin color... Guess the anime creators liked it more that way.

Yeah, we all get our nerf moments I guess. I know a lot of Bleach but not nearly as much as you know of Dragon Ball D:
Vegeta had appeared in the manga by then, but not in a color chapter, and apparently, they didn't think to ask him about his color scheme.

As for Goku's colors:

Also, note the difference in color on Piccolo's arms. Another oddity.
And, another meaningless fun-fact: There is a frame in the manga where Piccolo Dai-mao tells Goku he's going to finish him in 5 seconds, and of course, holds up his hand displaying 5 digits. Toriyama made a joke about this outside the frame saying "Look! He grew an extra finger!"

On an even more bizarre note, Goku's skin actually has the more tan-tone in GT, which makes things even more strange, since GT isn't associated with the manga at all. XD

That nappa voice.... i forgot what his voice sounded like after watching TFS
Well, to be fair, TFS is the definitive dub, easily. :P

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 05:32:29 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Vegeta had appeared in the manga by then, but not in a color chapter, and apparently, they didn't think to ask him about his color scheme.

As for Goku's colors:

Also, note the difference in color on Piccolo's arms. Another oddity.
And, another meaningless fun-fact: There is a frame in the manga where Piccolo Dai-mao tells Goku he's going to finish him in 5 seconds, and of course, holds up his hand displaying 5 digits. Toriyama made a joke about this outside the frame saying "Look! He grew an extra finger!"

On an even more bizarre note, Goku's skin actually has the more tan-tone in GT, which makes things even more strange, since GT isn't associated with the manga at all. XD
Well, to be fair, TFS is the definitive dub, easily. :P

Goku's clothing color is pretty much the same as in the manga, if he was under a shadow the whole time... From a designer's perspective though, the anime colors are more appealing and should look better to the viewers.

Guess he stayed at Roshi's place for some time and got some tan before GT :P
MarineCorps