• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 03:09:39 AM
    Planet of the Great Apes
  • Today at 01:59:29 AM
    high hopes for that movie xD
  • Today at 01:59:23 AM
    :smugdbo: [link]
  • Yesterday at 04:24:05 AM
    "....grenades going off in your face" is a metaphor for "...if players go mad over bugs and problems" etc.... xD
  • Yesterday at 04:21:29 AM
    dumke gonna ask him questions like the instructor here...and the dude gonna answer like the new dude xD [link]
  • December 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM
    interestinngg,  a new recruit
  • December 15, 2017, 01:05:20 AM
    Pm Me.
  • December 14, 2017, 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • December 14, 2017, 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • December 14, 2017, 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing

Topic: Nintendo Still Out Of Touch  (Read 4471 times)

Nintendo Still Out Of Touch
« on: February 01, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 1
    • View Profile

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »

Offline keredvin

• Global Moderator
  • 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 40 / 0
    • View Profile
  • DBOR Moderator
  • I am a: Shadow Knight
From what I've watched/read on Nintendo over the years, it just seems they are stubborn to change.

I would understand if this new program took at share of the royalties that YouTube already take but it does not.

Other companies will see this now and cash in. That I have no doubt.

Gaming is only getting bigger nowadays. With all these restrictions now placed on Let's Players, companies like YouTube really need to tread carefully.
"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite part of the internet".

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »

Offline SantiHN

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 3
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Plasma Majin
Of course they're afraid of change. The place where they're at now comes from re-using characters and recycling ideas. If those get criticized and people start to get aware of the problem from becoming some sort of Call of Duty with no violence it will affect their sales, and they would have to expand to another type of games. And they probably have very very little experience with them, which could lead to a flop, affecting their finance department alot.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile

>unironically watching this naughtyword

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:29:31 AM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Of course they're afraid of change. The place where they're at now comes from re-using characters and recycling ideas. If those get criticized and people start to get aware of the problem from becoming some sort of Call of Duty with no violence it will affect their sales, and they would have to expand to another type of games. And they probably have very very little experience with them, which could lead to a flop, affecting their finance department alot.

There's a pretty big difference between Call of Duty and Legend of Zelda. Call of Duty is basically the same game year after year. Zelda takes years to develop, because each time they're making a new game from the ground up and making it different without actually breaking the formula. Nintendo does it right, Activision does it wrong.

Of course, in the case of Fair Use, those roles are reversed. Please pull your head out of your ass Nintendo.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:15 PM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Nintendo is most certainly out of touch.

They're trying to stay relevant by using the stupidest methods imanginable. If they were to just buckle down and make a REAL videogame console again, for the first time since the gamecube fyi, everyone would be all over that shit.

Imagine playing Nintendo games with, like, Pixar-film quality graphics? And not having to deal with their "innovative" gimmick naughtyword?

Personally, I'd also like for a little creativity here and there, which Nintendo has sorely been lacking in recent years. I understand they need to appeal to their consumers, but right now, they also need to appeal to their competetors' consumers. Let's face it, most people who never played vidya before are much more likely to buy a ps4 or xbox one since they #1 appeal to more "mature" audiences, and #2 have much better graphics.

I agree. Call of Duty is more like NSMB and Pokemon, if we need to draw parallels here.

The only thing lacking with the "gimmicks" is that they need to stop shipping them with the console because it jacks up the price, and they need to start actually naughtyword utilizing them. The Wii didn't have any games that used motion controls for the innovation that it really is until the novelty had passed and everyone hated it. All that potential squandered, and now we're seeing a repeat with the tablet controller.

It's like I said before, all innovations are gimmicks until they take off like a naughtyword rocket.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:06 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Well one thing about nintendo is they aren't afraid to try these "bad" gimmicks , the wii u was a major flop but not it's finally starting the pick up(over x amount of years ) to the point where I would get a wii u over a ps4 . That being said when the 3ds first releases people were talking about how the vita would blow it out of the water , despite being the better system power wise , the 3ds still became very popular . And they killed it with e3 , while everyone had mediocre or just ok games that had fancy graphics , nintendo just announced a bunch of really cool titles ( I wouldn't play all of them but I recognize them as good titles ) . The amiibos is another thing ( something I didn't think would do well ) took off like a rocket and they really need to start making a lot more since they sell out so fast , it could make them money , and if they made that limited majora mask 3ds a little less limited they also could've made more money that way as well.
The past few years I've stuck to my PS3 and casually played my 3ds on the side . But now I feel nintendo is gonna have all my money(game wise) this year . They really should've made the wii u more powerful though , it runs more 3rd party games but it could've ran more if they upped the power .

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:58:16 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
My humble opinion of Nintendo - quote taken from Honest Trailers on Youtube:

"From the company who throws everything they have at the wall, hoping it will stick."

Basically, Nintendo's running out of ideas. They're taking any ideas they DO have and put it out in the market, hoping people will like it. And don't get me wrong, they're successful sometimes. I just feel like they're a bit desperate that's all. That and they like recycling. In HD.
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:18:36 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
My humble opinion of Nintendo - quote taken from Honest Trailers on Youtube:

"From the company who throws everything they have at the wall, hoping it will stick."

Basically, Nintendo's running out of ideas. They're taking any ideas they DO have and put it out in the market, hoping people will like it. And don't get me wrong, they're successful sometimes. I just feel like they're a bit desperate that's all. That and they like recycling. In HD.
You aren't completely wrong ( how many xls are they gonna make XD )
But I feel that since Sony and Microsoft, both companies with gaming as a side thing rather than a main , that nintendo tries to be diffrent . Sony and Microsoft (no matter how much I don't like Xbox ) are pretty comparable and similar systems , and they almost always have been . They share a lot of the main titles . And nintendo tried to seperate from that which works for or against them . Though with names like wii u or new nintendo 3ds , they seem to be lackin in creativity ( c'mon how hard it to make a new name for somthing )
As far as rehashing goes , they really do it as much as any other game does (call of duty for example ) but in my opinion , better , because at least there's something new , and I don't mean like new weapons and stuff like that , but a new adventure (zelda , or even Pokemon , Mario bros ) not only that , but nintendo has a whole lot more characters as an exclusive to use . So they make the games about their characters ( yoshi wooly world, Kirby whatever , hyrule warriors , starfox, kid Icarus , wario,fire emblem )<--- they got a ton of characters that belong to them .

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:40:53 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
I think one of the differences between HD re-releases on a Nintendo console and an HD re-release on the other systems is that Nintendo seems to charge a lot more for theirs. They release their HD versions at full price, as though it were a new game.
Generally, on the other consoles, you can get an HD port for like $10-20. Oftentimes, it's not just one game, either... many times, it's a collection (although, those are usually around $40, from what I've seen, but even so, it's multiple titles for that price, as opposed to a single game that may or may not have a slightly remixed mode included).

It's made even more polarizing, because these games are usually released each console generation from Nintendo, and the Wii U can still play Wii and GameCube games (unless I'm wrong about that, in which case, please point it out)... so you're essentially paying full price for a slightly prettier version of a game you can find in a bargain bin for $5.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 04:50:01 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
I think one of the differences between HD re-releases on a Nintendo console and an HD re-release on the other systems is that Nintendo seems to charge a lot more for theirs. They release their HD versions at full price, as though it were a new game.
Generally, on the other consoles, you can get an HD port for like $10-20. Oftentimes, it's not just one game, either... many times, it's a collection (although, those are usually around $40, from what I've seen, but even so, it's multiple titles for that price, as opposed to a single game that may or may not have a slightly remixed mode included).

It's made even more polarizing, because these games are usually released each console generation from Nintendo, and the Wii U can still play Wii and GameCube games (unless I'm wrong about that, in which case, please point it out)... so you're essentially paying full price for a slightly prettier version of a game you can find in a bargain bin for $5.
Yeah I notcied that too , but at least when they say remake an actual remake ... Unlike square enix and ff7

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:02 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
I should also add kingdom hearts charged full price for thei remixes

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Yeah I notcied that too , but at least when they say remake an actual remake ... Unlike square enix and ff7

No argument there.
And even if I'm not a fan of Poke'mon, damned if I don't respect the effort Nintendo put into the remakes.

It only has backwards compatibilty for Wii games~

Ah, okay. Thank you for clearing that up.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 05:29:45 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
lolwut? Pokemon remakes are some of the laziest things that come out of Nintendo, period.

Also, why the hell  wasn't there a battle frontier in oras? That was a deal-breaker for me. Emerald's battle frontier is the best post-game content in any pokemon game to date! How could they possibly leave that out of the remakes!?

How are those some of the laziest things that come out of Nintendo? Those are legitimate remakes.
They actually rebuilt it from scratch. It's not like most of their re-releases, where it's the same game with slightly better graphics.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:00:01 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
ORAS, HGSS, and FRLG used the exact same engine as XY, platinum, and RS respectively. It required very little work.

It still required recreating the world and setting up everything. It's a lot better than being a direct port.
You say that's one of the laziest things Nintendo's done, but is that really accurate?
Especially since most of their re-releases are the same game in every aspect, just with slightly better graphics, if even that.

By that train of thought, Majora's Mask must be lazy, since it used the Ocarina of Time engine (and I'm not talking about the 3DS re-releases here, I'm talking about the original games on the 64). Using a pre-existing engine doesn't make something lazy.

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I modified my post shortly after posting. Read it again~

Which changes nothing of my point.
They reused resources. That doesn't mean they reused the whole game.

Look at DBOR for example. The data is all there. It all exists already.
But programming it all in, and making it all run? It's not easy.

Also, I should have pointed this out before, but...
Is it really wise to use Super Smash Bros. as a reference? Unless I miss my guess, it's reusing the engine from Brawl, which is built off Melee, isn't it?

It may still be lazy to a point, but saying it's one of the laziest things Nintendo has done? Not even close.
You want to see lazy? Look at Final Fantasy. How many times have they ported FFVII, now?
There's the PS1 original. It's been ported to the PC, to PSN (which means the PSP, PSVita, and PS3). It got ported again to the PC (in so called "HD" which just means they uncompressed the FMVs and put it in higher resolution), and that version got ported the the PS4.
THAT is lazy.
If Square-Enix reused resources from something like Final Fantasy XIII to remake Final Fantasy VII? I wouldn't call it lazy, because at least then it would be an actual remake.

I should also add kingdom hearts charged full price for thei remixes
I also meant to address this sooner.
Apparently, the KH Remixes are actually not ports. Supposedly, Square-Enix lost the resources from the originals (or at least KH1) and had to rebuild the engine from scratch.
Now, mind you, I can't prove it (and I haven't played either remix).

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
Which changes nothing of my point.
They reused resources. That doesn't mean they reused the whole game.

Look at DBOR for example. The data is all there. It all exists already.
But programming it all in, and making it all run? It's not easy.

Also, I should have pointed this out before, but...
Is it really wise to use Super Smash Bros. as a reference? Unless I miss my guess, it's reusing the engine from Brawl, which is built off Melee, isn't it?

It may still be lazy to a point, but saying it's one of the laziest things Nintendo has done? Not even close.
You want to see lazy? Look at Final Fantasy. How many times have they ported FFVII, now?
There's the PS1 original. It's been ported to the PC, to PSN (which means the PSP, PSVita, and PS3). It got ported again to the PC (in so called "HD" which just means they uncompressed the FMVs and put it in higher resolution), and that version got ported the the PS4.
THAT is lazy.
If Square-Enix reused resources from something like Final Fantasy XIII to remake Final Fantasy VII? I wouldn't call it lazy, because at least then it would be an actual remake.
I also meant to address this sooner.
Apparently, the KH Remixes are actually not ports. Supposedly, Square-Enix lost the resources from the originals (or at least KH1) and had to rebuild the engine from scratch.
Now, mind you, I can't prove it (and I haven't played either remix).
In my opinion I don't mind it that much ( though they should've fixed the camera that would give me motion sickness DX )probably because I got it for less than 20$ used since I waited and had a coupon thing at GameStop
And the graphics didn't look much better .

And I'm pretty sure that majora mask is a completly diffrent game even though it uses the same models and engine .
and as for Pokemon , I don't think they were lazy at all ( though I'm not getting oras ) it takes actual effort to make things the way they are and from the demo and screens it actually looks Better than x imo
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:29:35 AM by Roxas »

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 06:49:58 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
You realize that Majora's Mask isn't a very good example considering that in was pretty much cutting edge in the graphical department at the time. 3ds textures and polgonal figures are incredibly easy and cheap to program, especially when compared to something like that.

Majora's Mask is a perfect example...
The so called "cutting edge" graphics were made up of a considerable amount of reused stuff from Ocarina of Time, with at most only minor tweaking.
In other words, you just praised MM for the same thing you blasted those remakes of Poke'mon for.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 07:21:48 AM »

Offline Rock

• Shenron
  • Honor: 21 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Veteran player since Korean beta
From what I've watched/read on Nintendo over the years, it just seems they are stubborn to change.

I would understand if this new program took at share of the royalties that YouTube already take but it does not.

Other companies will see this now and cash in. That I have no doubt.

Gaming is only getting bigger nowadays. With all these restrictions now placed on Let's Players, companies like YouTube really need to tread carefully.

It's the old Japanese investors pressuring Nintendo to make every penny possible. They're out of touch and know nothing about gaming:
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-investor-i-do-not-understand-video-games-1599625657

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
And I'm pretty sure that majora mask is a completly diffrent game even though it uses the same models and engine .
and as for Pokemon , I don't think they were lazy at all ( though I'm not getting oras ) it takes actual effort to make things the way they are and from the demo and screens it actually looks Better than x imo

Which was exactly my point. Majora's Mask is a vastly different game from Ocarina, even though it uses the same basis and resources.

I also praised ssb4 for its graphics despite the amount of animations/models/texturs recycled from brawl. The difference is, one game is aesthetically pleasing while the other isn't. If the "new" pokemon games lookd GOOD, then I'd have little to complain about. (honestly, I think the best-looking pokemon game is Emerald. I hated when they started incorperating polygons into pokemon, because the screen is way too low res to display them properly)

Also, have you nothing to say of my other points?

Coming from someone who actively avoids replying to points, that's rather humorous.
There's nothing to reply to there, as none of what you said has any meaning.

You also mentioned FireRed and LeafGreen in your rant. Are you saying they weren't aesthetically pleasing?

Here's something else that's fun...
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, the two Digital Devil Saga games, and both Persona 3 and Persona 4 (as well as their respective re-releases) all used the same engine and demon/Persona models (well, Imagine didn't use the same engine, I suppose, but it did reuse the models).
In fact, the combat was identical in Nocturne and the DDS games... yet, would anyone in their right mind call those lazy?
Those games are all vastly different experiences, despite their similarities.

Had one of those Poke'mon games reused the areas and events from the same engine, then I'd say it's lazy. But the fact that people are always arguing over which generation is best, including the remakes in the argument, is more than solid enough proof that they aren't just lazy remakes.

You've gotten to the point where your arguments aren't even coherent anymore, and you're contradicting yourself.

Nintendo is guilty of a lot of lazy ports and shameless acts. But the Poke'mon remakes aren't included in that.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Where shall I begin?
How about with some of your contradictions!

You claim that SSB4 looks great, yet you say the 3DS has too low a resolution to display polygon models... which SSB4 uses.

You say FireRed and LeafGreen are bland, despite the fact that they're surprisingly colorful and fairly detailed... yet, I constantly see you praising Shadow of the Colossus... one of the ugliest and most bland games ever.

I'm not arguing that Poke'mon tends to be basically the same game over and over again (part of the reason why I personally lost interest in it). Yet, you're now expecting remakes to be vastly different from the originals, which generally negates the idea of a remake. There are, of course, a few exceptions to this rule (Resident Evil being a prime example).

My main point on that was that they reuse resources... something you were primarily complaining about in regards to the Poke'mon remakes.

So, what you're complaining about in the remake of Gold and Silver, is that they kept an area from Platinum? I'm talking about if Platinum used the same data as the remakes, and made the remakes using only that data.
If it had essentially the entirety of Gold and Silver in Platinum, and then they made HeartGold and SoulSilver with ONLY that data, that would be a meaningful complaint. It'd be like if Gold and Silver came out first, then they released Red and Blue with only the original area (I think it was Kanto? I can't remember), using the data that existed in Gold and Silver, that would be a legitimate reason to be pissed.
However, unless you're stating Platinum did indeed include Johto (unless I'm getting my names mixed up) and reused all that to remake the second generation, your argument holds no water. It having a battle arena (which seems to be an extra area) from Platinum that didn't exist in Gold and Silver originally seems like an odd complaint.

Your entire argument was a complaint on how lazy they were for reusing resources. When I pointed out the whole idea of reusing resources being viable, you avoided that completely.
Something tells me that even had they used an entirely new engine, with entirely new graphics, detailed or not, you'd complain about it just the same.
As far as I can tell, you're the type of person who complains for the sake of complaining.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.

Nia ( inugami , ronpa master)
Vs.

The one who always loses and wrong.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

Off topic completely, but that looks an awful lot like Mao from Disgaea 3.

Well, except that time Almaz reduced him to a jibbering infant's intelligence.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Lol? Are you a naughtyword imbecile?

^ I suppose the advent of 3d platforming was just a gimmick too, right?

You shouldn't cherry-pick. Read the rest of the statement I made after what you bolded out and you'll have the answer.