nooooo Luke i was joking about the NC-17 link xD
  • October 14, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
    :)) :))
  • October 14, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
    DBhORor
  • October 11, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
    [link]
  • October 11, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
    That moment when I should be studying but I try to get distracted by anything and come check the forums :v
  • October 11, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
    wut
  • October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
    happyyy late birthday lukee
  • October 11, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
    happy belated
  • October 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM
    Happy Birthday  :hype:
  • October 10, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
    Happy B.Day Luke  :hbd:
  • October 10, 2017, 02:44:58 AM
    :popo:
  • October 10, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
    :hbd: :hbd:
  • October 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
    :8000:
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
    BoOoOOoO
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
    halllloooowweeeenn
  • October 09, 2017, 07:53:02 AM
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Ray Ray. [link] p.s: if you haven't seen the movie yet, go and do it. ofc you watch the first movie then the second one. it's actually nice^^
  • October 09, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
    ahh f*ck...forgot... [link]
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:23 AM
    *sees spooky theme* ... ---> [youtube]Xvjnoagk6GU[/youtube]
  • October 08, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
    Dragon Ball Online Revelations: Spooky Edition
  • October 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM
    It's Spoonbob
  • October 07, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
    who dat weirdo, monkey?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
    with a lot of fantasy it is out [link]
  • October 06, 2017, 10:00:37 AM
    Is this game still not out?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM

Topic: 2D/3D Game Development/Engines Topic  (Read 5883 times)

2D/3D Game Development/Engines Topic
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:43:55 AM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 0
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
I made this topic so that different people from different engines and coding languages could help each other.
We could discuss engines, 2D/3D Game development,what is the the best engine to use, which coding language is the best,how make special effects or sound effects,how to do certain tricks etc.

I would also strongly recommend everyone to post Their engine and some information, here is a template:

Recommended:

Engine:blank
Coding Language:blank
Preferred Dimension(2D/3D):blank
Preferred Coding Program:blank

Optional:

Inspiring Game:blank
Inspiring Book:blank
Preferred System to make a game for:blank

Mine Are:

Engine:Unity 3D Pro 4.5.0
Coding Language:C#
Preferred Dimension(2D/3D):2D
Preferred Coding Program:Xamarin Studio/MonoDevelop
Inspiring Game:Rayman Legends(Too bad I can't draw HD Sprites :()
Inspiring Book:Mastering Unity 2D Game Development by Simon Jackson
Preferred System to make a game for:PC

Please do not be afraid to submit your engine info below or to start a discussion or topic...but please be mature with how you talk and interact and be kind that is all I ask. Try to help each other as much as you can! Also if you have any personal projects you would like to show to other people PLEASE do not be afraid to show them here I would truly love that =)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:44:32 AM by Gewku »

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Engine:RPG Maker 2003
Coding Language: I know a bit of hex-editing, that's about it.
Inspiring Game: Anything I can get inspiration from

RM2K3 is somewhat outdated (it is 12 years old now), but I prefer it to the new XP/VX engines, and I've learned how to craft things with it that I don't think others have quite caught on to.

I have a few projects, but the only one that I can really show yet is this one (and this is actually from a scrapped prototype).

The enemies and background are just default templates with the engine. You can pretty much disregard them.

Because of engine limitations, there's no way to make it so the enemy you beat up in special attack animations looks like the one you're actually fighting. So, I use a generic "shadow figure" for the receiving end of a beat down to represent the enemy.

The current version runs more smoothly, and has better colors, but it's not as far along yet.
The story will play out in a fashion similar to Dragon Age or Mass Effect, while the combat is like a cross between the 16-bit Final Fantasy titles, a bit of Persona 3/4, and White Knight Chronicles with a visual style not far removed from Valkyrie Profile.
...If I ever finish it, that is. XD

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:16:16 PM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
Engine:RPG Maker 2003
Coding Language: I know a bit of hex-editing, that's about it.
Inspiring Game: Anything I can get inspiration from

RM2K3 is somewhat outdated (it is 12 years old now), but I prefer it to the new XP/VX engines, and I've learned how to craft things with it that I don't think others have quite caught on to.

I have a few projects, but the only one that I can really show yet is this one (and this is actually from a scrapped prototype).

The enemies and background are just default templates with the engine. You can pretty much disregard them.

Because of engine limitations, there's no way to make it so the enemy you beat up in special attack animations looks like the one you're actually fighting. So, I use a generic "shadow figure" for the receiving end of a beat down to represent the enemy.

The current version runs more smoothly, and has better colors, but it's not as far along yet.
The story will play out in a fashion similar to Dragon Age or Mass Effect, while the combat is like a cross between the 16-bit Final Fantasy titles, a bit of Persona 3/4, and White Knight Chronicles with a visual style not far removed from Valkyrie Profile.
...If I ever finish it, that is. XD
That is a VEEERY interesting game to be honest! I would absolutely LOVE to help you with that game! Perhaps make trailers or help you with the spriting or something else. Also why does Goku look sooo.....out of suit? Just curious but when does your game take place? is that Goku or Goku Jr.? But if you ever plan to continue it, I'm sure it could be an amazing game, also maybe try to move it to another engine, I would recommend Multimedia Fusion 2 because that engine is amazing for 2D games, I would also recommend you take some inspiration from Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, it was made by people from Chrono Trigger and other AMAZING RPG makers and it is one of the best if not the best DBZ RPG games out there.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:45:39 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
That is a VEEERY interesting game to be honest! I would absolutely LOVE to help you with that game! Perhaps make trailers or help you with the spriting or something else. Also why does Goku look sooo.....out of suit? Just curious but when does your game take place? is that Goku or Goku Jr.? But if you ever plan to continue it, I'm sure it could be an amazing game, also maybe try to move it to another engine, I would recommend Multimedia Fusion 2 because that engine is amazing for 2D games, I would also recommend you take some inspiration from Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, it was made by people from Chrono Trigger and other AMAZING RPG makers and it is one of the best if not the best DBZ RPG games out there.

Actually, it's not Goku. XD
Rather, it happens in an alternate timeline, and follows the events of the series (with bits from the movies thrown in), with your character basically tagging along with Goku and his friends.
Spoiler for Hidden:
The character design for the female and male protagonist:
The entire game was inspired by the quote at the end of the final volume of the manga, where Toriyama makes a comment about "seeing that world with your own eyes."
I've actually never really stopped working on it, but I keep making new discoveries with the engine, and scrapping the project for a refined version.
Originally, it was going to be one massive game from the beginning of Z to the end of the Buu saga, but it proved to have a lot of issues, so I changed it into a two-part game, but this also lead to a lot of issues, so now it's set to be a three-parter, with this one covering the Saiyajin arc and ending with Freeza's defeat (although it will also cover pieces from the first 3 movies).

I am a bit bummed that I'm not using the awesome transformation system I developed until the second part (which took me the better part of the last two prototypes to perfect, but it's fully operational and even has in-game transformation sequences), but this allows me to make a better game over all.
This also allows me to experiment with a few nuances for each part (to make each game feel unique, rather than just "more of the same"), and it gives me a chance to make a character import feature, so your choices and actions from the first game have an effect on the second.

Honestly, I didn't care much for Attack of the Saiyans when I played it. Granted, I didn't get far, but it just felt too... typical of an anime RPG. Not to mention that I hate they shoehorned Broly into a game about the first story arc, before he should have ever shown up.

As for helping me with the project, if I think of anything you could give me a hand with, I'll be certain to ask (although, currently, most of what I need is sound data, and I've got someone helping me a bit with that).

Once I get the game running to a "semi-playable" point, I'll be sure to make a teaser trailer, though.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:31:01 AM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
Actually, it's not Goku. XD
Rather, it happens in an alternate timeline, and follows the events of the series (with bits from the movies thrown in), with your character basically tagging along with Goku and his friends.
Spoiler for Hidden:
The character design for the female and male protagonist:
The entire game was inspired by the quote at the end of the final volume of the manga, where Toriyama makes a comment about "seeing that world with your own eyes."
I've actually never really stopped working on it, but I keep making new discoveries with the engine, and scrapping the project for a refined version.
Originally, it was going to be one massive game from the beginning of Z to the end of the Buu saga, but it proved to have a lot of issues, so I changed it into a two-part game, but this also lead to a lot of issues, so now it's set to be a three-parter, with this one covering the Saiyajin arc and ending with Freeza's defeat (although it will also cover pieces from the first 3 movies).

I am a bit bummed that I'm not using the awesome transformation system I developed until the second part (which took me the better part of the last two prototypes to perfect, but it's fully operational and even has in-game transformation sequences), but this allows me to make a better game over all.
This also allows me to experiment with a few nuances for each part (to make each game feel unique, rather than just "more of the same"), and it gives me a chance to make a character import feature, so your choices and actions from the first game have an effect on the second.

Honestly, I didn't care much for Attack of the Saiyans when I played it. Granted, I didn't get far, but it just felt too... typical of an anime RPG. Not to mention that I hate they shoehorned Broly into a game about the first story arc, before he should have ever shown up.

As for helping me with the project, if I think of anything you could give me a hand with, I'll be certain to ask (although, currently, most of what I need is sound data, and I've got someone helping me a bit with that).

Once I get the game running to a "semi-playable" point, I'll be sure to make a teaser trailer, though.

That's some pretty interesting stuff you got going on there. First of all, I would like to see that awesome transformation system you were talking about, also the idea of experiencing the world with your own eyes seems awefully familiar *cough cough* DBO/DBXV *cough cough* but it's still interesting to see an RPG take on it. I am curious though, how much have you been working on this game? It seems you started working on it not too long ago, my estimate would be 3-6 months ago, because you seem to be in very early stages =D. Also One last thing, I would advice you to use 2D HD Sprites instead of regular pixelated sprites, trust me it'll improve your presentation A LOT, and you don't have to hire anyone! you could already draw =D I mean yeah sure it's gonna be a pain in the butt to draw sprites and animations and shizz but...trust me on this one, if you take the time to advance and experiment you will become a pro and you WILL get the best feeling of self satisfaction EVER... Just saiyan though. Also is the character you play as similiar to like the person from DBH(Dragon Ball Heroes)? Is He/She a saiyan or a human? It would be intriguing if you make multiple races with multiple consequences and plot devices for each race =D!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 05:06:31 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Actually, it's something I've been working on for a few years, but it's undergone a LOT of changes. (The current version is actually the 5th build, if memory serves). This particular build is about 6 months old, though (although it reuses some content from the last build which is something I haven't done before).

The transformation system has undergone changes of it's own, too. The very first version didn't have an actual transformation system, and you were always transformed, but that wasn't very interesting, and had no effect on the gameplay (this was a very, very early version).
The 2nd allowed you to transform at any time (including on the map outside of battle), but this essentially made you unstoppable, since there was no negative to the transformation.
The 3rd one was closer to what I had in mind, but still not perfect. You could transform in battle only, and there was Ki loss every time someone used an action (not just the transformed character), although running out of Ki just meant you couldn't use special moves.
The current set up has you losing Ki and reverting upon running out of energy, but there's also a "Spirit Gauge." As you fight in your normal form, the gauge builds up, and when it's full, that character can transform. Every turn you take reduced your Ki by 1, but it no longer drains when others act.

The earliest draft for this game actually started before DBO was announced, although that first version was scrapped a long time ago. I revived it around 2009, and that version actually went pretty far before being scrapped, too. It's kinda continued like that for a while. XD

As for the sprites, I can't really upscale them due to engine limitations, sadly. In fact, the engine doesn't even run at HD resolutions, so I'm stuck with what I've got. There will be a few "cut-ins" for Desperation Attacks, and the like (basically, when you see one of these, you know somebody is about to eat a big attack), and certain triggered actions will display these.
It'll still look 16/32-bit, but it'll be a fancy 16/32-bits. XD

The protagonist is Saiyajin, and I'm working them into the story a specific way, so sadly, there won't be any other races. They are actually part of the storyline and exist within this timeline, as opposed to Dragon Ball Heroes, where it's just some kid that got sucked into a video game.
That being said, I am trying to balance out the character's attributes and such. Goku's naturally talented in all aspects, focusing on Melee. Vegeta is like a less powerful, reverse Goku. Piccolo regenerates HP. Perhaps, since the human characters are fulfilling more support-oriented roles, I'll have them regenerate Ki, or something. That kind of stuff.
The protagonist learns new skills by unlocking them through events, then spending Ability Points in a skill menu at save points. You can also customize his/her attributes. Whenever you level up, you get a Training Point, which you can use to increase your base stats.

There are actual plot-points and consequences for your actions (doing certain things will change the way the other characters react to you, and certain actions will have an effect on the sequels).
For instance, sometimes you may come across an enemy that begs for it's life. While Gohan and Kuririn might not be too pleased with you blasting his head off, Piccolo and Vegeta will approve of it.
If you get someone's approval high enough, they may do things like protect you from an attack or intercept an enemy's special move with a counterattack.
It'll also have an effect on the 2nd and 3rd parts (for instance, getting that character to join you in a part where they weren't present in the story). It'll also keep track of some of your specific actions (like if you kill Guldo instead of Vegeta decapitating him, it'll recognize that).
The protagonist's responses and behavior will also change over time. A violent protagonist is essentially giving into their Saiyajin nature, and as they do so, you'll often get the chance to become more cruel when interacting in dialogue.
You'll still be a "good guy." Just not a particularly nice one. XD

The core story remains the same, but this way, it gives the player incentive to take the other paths available. It's sort of like some of the Kingdom Hearts stages, where you relive the events of a Disney movie, but with Sora and his friends palling around with that movie's protagonist.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »

Offline SantiHN

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 3
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Plasma Majin
I don't really have much to put into this. I only got one project I plan on working on and I don't have he Engine. I plan on using Unreal Engine 4, but my current computer can't handle it. I plan on getting a new build and of course, then i'll get into putting the things together, but so far, I can only work with the assets. I gotta start making the environment, characters, animations and controls/gameplay, etc. Research about the engine so as soon as I get I dive straight into work efficiently without having to spend time getting familiar with the UI. In UE4 it's not necessary to know a language, but i'll get learn C++ (I only know Java). If this thread is still alive when I finish the first model i'll update you peeps.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:35:44 PM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
Holy Swivel that is a huge load of text. ok then.

Actually, it's something I've been working on for a few years, but it's undergone a LOT of changes. (The current version is actually the 5th build, if memory serves). This particular build is about 6 months old, though (although it reuses some content from the last build which is something I haven't done before).

I'm surprised you've been working on it for YEARS. So you are experienced then =D I see you're starting to get stuff together and figure out how to do stuff. Hopefully soon you'll start getting the game into a playable state

The transformation system has undergone changes of it's own, too. The very first version didn't have an actual transformation system, and you were always transformed, but that wasn't very interesting, and had no effect on the gameplay (this was a very, very early version).
The 2nd allowed you to transform at any time (including on the map outside of battle), but this essentially made you unstoppable, since there was no negative to the transformation.
The 3rd one was closer to what I had in mind, but still not perfect. You could transform in battle only, and there was Ki loss every time someone used an action (not just the transformed character), although running out of Ki just meant you couldn't use special moves.
The current set up has you losing Ki and reverting upon running out of energy, but there's also a "Spirit Gauge." As you fight in your normal form, the gauge builds up, and when it's full, that character can transform. Every turn you take reduced your Ki by 1, but it no longer drains when others act.

To be honest I think you should keep the Transformation but make the stress less as you level up your character, or certain items/events in the game make the stress less. But I still like the neat idea of transformation. Also I think the player should achieve it when one of their important characters die, for example if your character was related to Piccolo you go super when he dies against Nappa or something, or if your character was related to Goku, you go SSj when Goku sacrifices himself for Cell or and you know stuff like that, but make it so that the later it is the more rewarding it is, so for example if you get SSj when Piccolo dies you get it very early into the story line, and if all of the SSjs you get are the same, then people would just try to get SSj as early as they can by being close to Piccolo. so make it so that the later you get SSj the better or more balanced it is, and make the latest point you could get SSj in give you the strongest SSj, that would cause the wait to be worth it,as you get better stats the more you wait.

The earliest draft for this game actually started before DBO was announced, although that first version was scrapped a long time ago. I revived it around 2009, and that version actually went pretty far before being scrapped, too. It's kinda continued like that for a while. XD

Never cancel a project with a good idea behind it, always keep trying to make it successful until you find the perfect system or perfect point you would like to get deep into in.

As for the sprites, I can't really upscale them due to engine limitations, sadly. In fact, the engine doesn't even run at HD resolutions, so I'm stuck with what I've got. There will be a few "cut-ins" for Desperation Attacks, and the like (basically, when you see one of these, you know somebody is about to eat a big attack), and certain triggered actions will display these.
It'll still look 16/32-bit, but it'll be a fancy 16/32-bits. XD

Trust me I have nothing against 16/32 bit sprites but sprites games just don't COMPARE to games with HD sprites and backgrounds, I know you probably worked in RPG Maker for a while but I would definitely recommend you go to another engine, as I said earlier Multimedia Fusion 2 or Unity, If you ever get into Unity Just ask me for help and trust me I would love to get you up and running, I know a lot of tutorials and books that are amazing for you to learn from! so I would love to help you if you join Unity, but keep in mind as far as I know Multimedia Fusion 2 requires very very minimal coding, while Unity is basically a coding house, but Coding allows you to be a lot more specific with your mechanics and even allows you to create new ones if you know what your typing(Which I could help you with also if you want to get into C#). So yeah I would recommend going into a new engine because I'm pretty sure it will be much stronger, and give you a lot more flexibility and allow you to make HD Sprites as much as you want(or can if your hands get tired quickly xD)

The protagonist is Saiyajin, and I'm working them into the story a specific way, so sadly, there won't be any other races. They are actually part of the storyline and exist within this timeline, as opposed to Dragon Ball Heroes, where it's just some kid that got sucked into a video game.
That being said, I am trying to balance out the character's attributes and such. Goku's naturally talented in all aspects, focusing on Melee. Vegeta is like a less powerful, reverse Goku. Piccolo regenerates HP. Perhaps, since the human characters are fulfilling more support-oriented roles, I'll have them regenerate Ki, or something. That kind of stuff.
The protagonist learns new skills by unlocking them through events, then spending Ability Points in a skill menu at save points. You can also customize his/her attributes. Whenever you level up, you get a Training Point, which you can use to increase your base stats.

I like the fact different characters have different traits and I think you should be able to copy some of those gameplay traits, Like master classes for different characters. I think that would be interesting, I also wonder how many stats/attributes there will be =D

There are actual plot-points and consequences for your actions (doing certain things will change the way the other characters react to you, and certain actions will have an effect on the sequels).
For instance, sometimes you may come across an enemy that begs for it's life. While Gohan and Kuririn might not be too pleased with you blasting his head off, Piccolo and Vegeta will approve of it.
If you get someone's approval high enough, they may do things like protect you from an attack or intercept an enemy's special move with a counterattack.
It'll also have an effect on the 2nd and 3rd parts (for instance, getting that character to join you in a part where they weren't present in the story). It'll also keep track of some of your specific actions (like if you kill Guldo instead of Vegeta decapitating him, it'll recognize that).
The protagonist's responses and behavior will also change over time. A violent protagonist is essentially giving into their Saiyajin nature, and as they do so, you'll often get the chance to become more cruel when interacting in dialogue.
You'll still be a "good guy." Just not a particularly nice one. XD

as i said earlier I think this should affect your character's personality and power, as it shows who he/she cared for and what they "inherited" from their personality. I think this game has a lot of potential to be a great game!

The core story remains the same, but this way, it gives the player incentive to take the other paths available. It's sort of like some of the Kingdom Hearts stages, where you relive the events of a Disney movie, but with Sora and his friends palling around with that movie's protagonist.

I never fully played Kingdom Hearts and I'll never consider ever playing one of them for their complicated as all hell story O.O but their gameplay was fun so I'll see what you could do to keep the pacing new and fresh ^^

I don't really have much to put into this. I only got one project I plan on working on and I don't have he Engine. I plan on using Unreal Engine 4, but my current computer can't handle it. I plan on getting a new build and of course, then i'll get into putting the things together, but so far, I can only work with the assets. I gotta start making the environment, characters, animations and controls/gameplay, etc. Research about the engine so as soon as I get I dive straight into work efficiently without having to spend time getting familiar with the UI. In UE4 it's not necessary to know a language, but i'll get learn C++ (I only know Java). If this thread is still alive when I finish the first model i'll update you peeps.

All I could say is good luck friend =D also what is the genre of your game? I truly wonder, also as I said to Nia I could help you a bit more if you switched to Unity C# but I still think the Unreal Engine is very good, I never tried it but I definitely heard good thins about it!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:41:33 AM »

Offline SantiHN

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
All I could say is good luck friend =D also what is the genre of your game? I truly wonder, also as I said to Nia I could help you a bit more if you switched to Unity C# but I still think the Unreal Engine is very good, I never tried it but I definitely heard good thins about it!
Psychological horror. I don't intend to make "jumpy" things or anything like that. I intend to make an environment that will creep the player. The graphics and sound will do alot in the game. That's why i'm heading on the UE4 path. Unity is a good engine, but it has sacrificed many features to implement the mobile devices development.

C# is kind of similar to Java. They're both fully OOP languages. Although syntax is very different to Java, but very close to C++, which is what I need for UE4. I'll hit you up if I need some help! Again, i'll post on this thread specifically. I would love this thing to be sticked.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 01:19:19 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Done.
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:18 AM »

Offline SantiHN

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Done.
#BasedDumke #BasedGod #CoolAF #TY_BBY

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:10 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
Psychological horror. I don't intend to make "jumpy" things or anything like that. I intend to make an environment that will creep the player. The graphics and sound will do alot in the game. That's why i'm heading on the UE4 path. Unity is a good engine, but it has sacrificed many features to implement the mobile devices development.

C# is kind of similar to Java. They're both fully OOP languages. Although syntax is very different to Java, but very close to C++, which is what I need for UE4. I'll hit you up if I need some help! Again, i'll post on this thread specifically. I would love this thing to be sticked.
If ur making a horror game... MAKE IT LIKE DEH SCERIEST GAM UV AL TIEM FAIV NIT @ FROODIES. TRU WHORER. Iz totally not just a boreng jumpscare gam i swer

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 04:01:44 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Holy Swivel that is a huge load of text. ok then.

Moi? Making a huge wall of text? Never. :P

Sadly, it's taken a long time since I'm the only person working on it. At the same time, it also means that when I personally experiment with something, it allows for greater experimentation, since I don't have to worry about work lagging behind the rest of the team.

SSJ won't be available for the protagonist until early in the second game (you will get to see Goku transform near the end of the game, though). You will be able to level up transformations, however (through the skill system). Technically, when you unlock the transformation, it'll be Quasi/False Super-Saiyajin from the fourth movie, and you'll be able to spend ability points in order to awaken a full-fledged SSJ transformation.
The different transformations have different effects, too. Goku automatically doubles in power, Vegeta and Trunks get a 50% increase, the protagonist and Gohan each get a 25% boost. Then, upon getting the upgrade to normal SSJ, the protagonist gets another 25%. Eventually, late in the game, you can get Full-Power SSJ, as well.
It'll always occur at the same point in the story, for plot reasons.
But again, that just remains a plan for the second game. :P

As for switching to another engine, I've considered it, but I think I'll keep this project with RM2K3. Part of it being that I'm familiar with it, and part of it being that I want to see how far I can push a 12 year old engine.
I may use another engine for different projects, though.

There's no "Master Class" or anything (at least not in the first game, but there's something similar planned for the third title), but since you get to customize your attributes (which are Strength, Technique, Guard, and Agility), it allows you to make your character unique.
Also, some of your choices will allow you to miss out on certain abilities (for instance, while on Namek, you can miss out on Zarbon's skills completely, if you wind up helping Gohan find the Dragon Ball in the Namekian village Vegeta wipes out), or, depending on how you fight Freeza, you may miss out on some of his more powerful abilities.
There's also some passive abilities, which give their own boosts (stuff like a Zenkai Boost which allows you to get an attack bonus and gain additional ability points while low on HP).

Right now, I'm starting to (re)plan out the skills and their "elements," (For instance, certain attacks work better against flying enemies, as per the typical JRPG tropes) but making them DBZ based is, so far, a pain in the butt. :P

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
Hey guys. Today I wanted to post something in this forum,This is because I switched engines! Yay!!!!(Ik nobody gives a popo but whatever).

Engine: Construct 2
Coding Language: C#(Stopped Learning It)
Preferred Dimension(2D/3D): 2D
Preferred Coding Program: Xamarin Studio/MonoDevelop(Stopped Using It =D)
Inspiring Game:Rayman Legends(Too bad I can't draw HD Sprites :()
Inspiring Book: None, since Construct 2 Has no books(Or atleast I don't think it has), I had to learn on my own
Preferred System to make a game for: PC

The reason I switched to Construct 2 Is because Construct 2 basically requires no coding, Coding helps but you only nee to know very basic things. It's all centered around events and actions, basically the equivalent to if statements in Coding. I actually Switched to MMF2 Before Construct 2 but I just didn't like it because of how B.S it was.Construct 2 is muuuuuch better and to be honest I kind of enjoy developing for it.(Even though it;s HTML5 Only but that's not that big of an issue because I think I could export as .EXE through a little bit of more work.).

P.S: If anyone still wants to learn Unity or C# I still have books in PDF format if you want them.How I got them? Well let's just say....
Also if anyone else want's to switch to Construct 2 aswell, then keep in mind that Construct 2 is 2D ONLY as far as I'm aware, it isn't like Unity3D where it's 2D and 3D, it's 2D Only.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:41:34 PM by keredvin, Reason: Don\'t spam »

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
    • View Profile
Engine:Gamemaker 8
Coding Language: GML
Preferred Coding Program:idk
Inspiring Game: Super Mario is probably the best i could do
Inspiring Book: Introduction to Video Game Design by D. Michael Ploor

I really don't know jack shit about game development i am fairly new and could probably only do a basic maze game in 3-5 days
pizza

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
Engine:Gamemaker 8
Coding Language: GML
Preferred Coding Program:idk
Inspiring Game: Super Mario is probably the best i could do
Inspiring Book: Introduction to Video Game Design by D. Michael Ploor

I really don't know jack shit about game development i am fairly new and could probably only do a basic maze game in 3-5 days
Nice fam! i too tried GM 8.1, was pretty cool, and I think if I go back to game development it would be my engine, I like how it mixes drag and drop with mainstream coding, the coding language is advanced enough to do enough you want with enough skill, but not crazy like C++. HF with it! I know I did, btw if you need a couple of good examples of what some people have done in GM8 lemme show you:

and:

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »

Offline Manphu

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • El. Psy. Kongroo
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
I never knew we had a topic for this.
As I am VERY(and I quote again, very) new into game developing and designing, and I have not much experience in coding languages except some basic Python. I will post the engine I was using the last month.

Engine: GoDot
Coding Language: GDScript(Python like language. Although I think they added support for C# in the latest update)
Preferred Dimension(2D/3D): 2D/Sprite
Preferred Coding Program: For now Python. I may switch into another language sometime though, as Python is not so much used outside of GoDot.
Inspiring Game: Dragon Quest 8: The journey of the Cursed King.
Inspiring Book: I was actually not inspired by any book. I always wanted to get into game development and Extra Credits gave me the motivation I needed to start learning.
Preferred System to make a game for: PC

I actually started by Using RPGMaker XV(The Lite version).
Then switched to RPGMaker XP(I think) because I got a free version of it and could somewhat experiment and transform my ideas into a game very fast.(Made a small game with a friend helping me with the construction of the story. Sadly because of licenses I ended up playing it alone with my friend. Still a good experience.)
Finally before I move into GoDot I was using GameMaker Studio, where I created a small space-shooter and a Platformer. I could say that GML was a bit easier and more understandable for me but GoDot won me for some reason.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 01:52:31 AM »

Offline Iceman

• Oolong's Wish
  • Honor: 52 / 8
    • View Profile
  • Emperor!
  • I am a: Shadow Knight
Well I don't know did you guys play Legend of Dragoon.
I liked that RPG system.

1. When you guard you get 10% of max HP.
2. Transformation into dragon knight last for few rounds, that is level of your dragon spirit.
3. Specials are cool
4. Ofc you need strategy.

Everything close to this, is epic RPG I guess.
IGN: IcemanBos
Class: Shadow Knight
Guild: Pride Warriors