* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:40 PM
    Sorry. Mourning makes me stupid. and I apologize for spamming the shoutbox. XD
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
    I POSTED A DIFFERENT LINK LIKE AN IDIOT. HERE'S THE REAL ONE. [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
    There you go, Lati. Fixed it for ya.
  • November 17, 2017, 03:32:58 PM
    [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:31:00 PM
    There we go. Get yourself depressed by listening to Boogie Back. ;_;
  • November 17, 2017, 03:30:28 PM
    Woops. Messed it up. [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:27:39 PM
    Here's a way better tribute: [youtube]4BMcZPLI75U[/youtube]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
    Heresy
  • November 17, 2017, 02:55:16 PM
    Oops it’s the English one . But it’s pretty much just as good .
  • November 17, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
    Oh I was beaten to it ~ anyway  in honor of Bulma [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 02:53:47 PM
    Rip Bulma
  • November 17, 2017, 01:40:58 PM
    Hiromi Tsuru, the Japanese voice of Bulma, passed away.
  • November 17, 2017, 09:17:01 AM
    Silly Luffy.  Yamcha isn't even in our guild!
  • November 17, 2017, 07:47:03 AM
    love yourself xD
  • November 17, 2017, 05:26:10 AM
    Luffy, I'm lonely. Please love me.
  • November 17, 2017, 02:01:32 AM
    O0
  • November 16, 2017, 12:41:44 PM
    :devildbo:
  • November 16, 2017, 08:31:03 AM
    :devildbo:
  • November 16, 2017, 08:30:43 AM
    *update*: [link]
  • November 16, 2017, 08:29:02 AM
    offf... [link]
  • November 16, 2017, 05:30:39 AM
    MC > Whatever your guild is
  • November 16, 2017, 02:26:31 AM
    [link]
  • November 15, 2017, 06:11:58 AM
    Monster hunter world needs to be released already .
  • November 15, 2017, 02:07:46 AM
    @Nia yes
  • November 14, 2017, 11:09:16 PM
    you can't deal with my awesomeness....
  • November 14, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
    You tryin' to steal people from my guild?
  • November 14, 2017, 04:10:08 PM
    Our guild is fun sometimes. You should come visit.
  • November 14, 2017, 04:07:31 PM
    Luffy, join MC you nub

Topic: Spanish/Hispanic/Latino/Latin  (Read 4188 times)

Spanish/Hispanic/Latino/Latin
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:49 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
  • Honor: 78 / 16
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
  • I am a: Human
I see a lot of people using the term Spanish, Hispanic, Latino, Latin too many times in the wrong way. So, I am here to just make it clear to those who don't understand. This will be helpful since we have a diverse community and label a lot of people by ethnicity in the game.

1 - Spanish - Being Spanish means that you are from the country Spain. Which is from Latin Europe. If you are Spanish or refer to someone as Spanish you are declaring that he/she is from Spain.

2 - Hispanic - This means that you are take part of the Spanish culture. For example, speaking Spanish and valuing their customs. Just because you take part of their culture does not make you Spanish. You have Hispanics all over the world that the Spanish conquered back in the Colonization Era like in Africa, South America and Asia.

3 - Latino - This means you come from a Hispanic country. Simple. It's only a South American thing. People from Spain do not use that term.

4 - Latin - This means that you come from either Italy, Spain, Portgual, Romania and France. This where Latin comes from. If you speak Italian, Spanish, Portguese, Romanian or French you are speaking Latin.

I am Spanish and Italian and I just wanted to clear it because it gets pretty annoying.

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 04:38:47 AM »

Offline Rogue

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 15 / 3
    • View Profile
  • Praise the Radiant God! Jr. Master of Radiant Dawn
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
Nicely said. Latin is actually the root of lots of languages spoken around the world.
I should do something like this for the word naughtyword.

Dawning a new Radiant Strength
Join Radiant Dawn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:42:58 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
Nicely said. Latin is actually the root of lots of languages spoken around the world.
I should do something like this for the word naughtyword.

Most languages. But Latin came from Greek.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:03:54 AM »

Offline Rogue

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 15 / 3
    • View Profile
  • Praise the Radiant God! Jr. Master of Radiant Dawn
Yep Yep  :)

Dawning a new Radiant Strength
Join Radiant Dawn

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 05:11:40 AM »

Offline Aeris

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 5 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Hate the fanboys
  • I am a: Dende Priest
3 - Latino - This means you come from a Hispanic country. Simple. It's only a South American thing. People from Spain do not use that term.

It's not only South America. Latin America it's a group of countries where three Romance Languages (French, Spanish, Portugués) are majority languages. So, Mexico (North America) it's latin country too.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 07:02:16 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Mamma mia pizzeria
  • I am a: Dark Warrior
The Romans got a lot from the Greeks, like the art, the culture, even the alphabet, but Latin and Greek are two completely different languages besides maybe a few words.
"I will make you and everyone in this village recognize me, for one day... I will be hokage!"-Deadpool

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
The Romans got a lot from the Greeks, like the art, the culture, even the alphabet, but Latin and Greek are two completely different languages besides maybe a few words.

Yes. The Romans just made things more global. They took over so much territory and spread democracy and their ways throughout the world as well as the Spanish Conquistadors 

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »

Offline Krazeen

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Free churros
Jocer my new world history teacher OP
You can facetime me for my next lesson

I'm fuckin' radical, naughtyword
I'm motherfuckin' radical

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Hacker / cracker : Knowledge is free We are Legion
  • I am a: Grand Chef
Latinos are outside Spain who were not born in Spain. example : you is latin-american mexican ,chile, ecuadoretc...

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class
  • I am a: Mech Maniac
Latinos are outside Spain who were not born in Spain. example : you is latin-american mexican ,chile, ecuadoretc...

No, Latinos are called to all people from a Latin Language, but Southamerican people think that they are the only "latinos" in the world because Americans call them "Latinos"

Spanish, Latin-america, Portugal, Italy, France, Romanie, Andorra... They're Latin Countries and we are Latin people too.

When you watch a video and it says "Español Latino" is because the user who gave it that title doesn't know that the Spanish is Latin, so he's a little illiterate in this aspect. It's the same as "Naranjas Frutas (Oranges Fruits)" instead of "Naranjas(Oranges)", it's redundant
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:44:23 AM by ShihoMiyano »

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »

Offline Spark

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 15 / 0
    • View Profile
  • H0h0h0
No, Latinos are called to all people from a Latin Language, but Southamerican people think that they are the only "latinos" in the world because Americans call them "Latinos"

Spanish, Latin-america, Portugal, Italy, France, Roumanie, Andorra, etc.
Shut up spanish!

Poof

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 08:08:14 AM »
    • View Profile
Spaniards are Hispanics and Latinos are part of Amrerica and africa , i spanish, im from catalonia :)

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class
Spaniards are Hispanics and Latinos are part of Amrerica and africa , i spanish, im from catalonia :)

Read the meaning of "Latino" from the RAE and DRAE first xDDD

Català is a Latin Language too, so you're "Latino"

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »
    • View Profile
I'm not illiterate ;D ¿do you see me beautiful in the picture? :-*

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
No. Latino is only an American term. Spaniards, Italians, French, Portuguese do not consider themselves "Latino".

That word is only used for South/Central Americans.

Read the meaning of "Latino" from the RAE and DRAE first xDDD

Català is a Latin Language too, so you're "Latino"

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Super Kami Guru approves this
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
The terminology is more complicated than you think, Sporty.

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
The terminology is more complicated than you think, Sporty.

Not really, I just explained it. I just hate when people call Mexicans 'Spanish' and Chileans 'Spanish' when indeed they aren't. Spanish people are European.

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »

Offline SSJGoku

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 0
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
  • 現在日本語を勉強
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
I honestly don't know how to reply to this thread xD. We could all have a history class on this and that wouldn't be enough. Too many stereotypes in our world. It is complicated but I think it can be easily explained. I know this isn't the whole thing but this link nicely explains Hispanics vs Latinos http://www.diffen.com/difference/Hispanic_vs_Latino

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class

Not really, I just explained it. I just hate when people call Mexicans 'Spanish' and Chileans 'Spanish' when indeed they aren't. Spanish people are European.

You're wrong. Latino has 10 meanings in the dictionary of the Real Spanish Academy and any of them is the "American Term". "Latino" is a spanish term ("latin" in other languages), Americans think that "Latino" is from them. It's like I say that "Spoilear" is from Spanish People xDD.

From the RAE Dictionary (I don't know if you can understand the picture sorry, but I'm not going to translate it with my basic english xDDD)

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »

Offline GogetaAR

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Nintendo ID: AholaR

Spanish, Latin-america, Portugal, Italy, France, Romanie, Andorra... They're Latin Countries and we are Latin people too.

When you watch a video and it says "Español Latino" is because the user who wrote the title doesn't know that the Spanish is Latin, so he's a little illiterate in this aspect. It's the same that "Naranjas Frutas (Oranges Fruits)" instead of "Naranjas(Oranges)", it's redundant
Well, when people talk about latinos they refer to the people in America that speak a latin language (usually Spanish) and not only south Americans say this (I personally don't use it). And about the video thing, I don't know why we chose "español latino" (it could be "español americano" but it simply doesn't sound good), but it makes sense someone uses a word to differentiate the Spanish used in Spain than the one used in Latin-America.

1 - Spanish - Being Spanish means that you are from the country Spain. Which is from Latin Europe. If you are Spanish or refer to someone as Spanish you are declaring that he/she is from Spain.
I never heard a non-Spanish say it's Spanish, but it's completely different if you say you speak Spanish, thats correct.

Made by Kaiza.

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money
You're wrong. Latino has 10 meanings in the dictionary of the Real Spanish Academy and any of them is the "American Term". "Latino" is a spanish term ("latin" in other languages), Americans think that "Latino" is from them. It's like I say that "Spoilear" is from Spanish People xDD.

From the RAE Dictionary (I don't know if you can understand the picture sorry, but I'm not going to translate it with my basic english xDDD)

Well, that may be true. I am just saying that in Spain and Italy those terms aren't used.

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class
Well, that may be true. I am just saying that in Spain and Italy those terms aren't used.

It's true, but with remarks xDD

I don't use to talk about languages with my friends and If you say "what are you?" I will say "Spanish". If you say "What is your language?" I will say "Spanish".

For example, If you want to buy Oranges you don't say "Please, give me fruits".

Well, the "problem" (it's not a problem xDD) is that the Spanish Americans think that his language is "Latin Spanish" instead of "Spanish" and they think that they are the Latin People and the Spanish, French, Italian... People aren't Latin People... (I'm generalizing xDDD).

So they use the Term Latino more than us (true), but that doesn't mean that we aren't Latin People and "Latino" is a Spanish Term xDDD.

The problem appears when Spanish/Italian/French/Romanian people think that they aren't latin and the only latin are Latin-American. I've noticed that there are many people from here who think that...

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »

Offline Sport

• Shenron
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Fast Money

I don't use to talk about languages with my friends and If you say "what are you?" I will say "Spanish". If you say "What is your language?" I will say "Spanish".

Well, the "problem" (it's not a problem xDD) is that the Spanish Americans think that his language is "Latin Spanish" instead of "Spanish" and they think that they are the Latin People and the Spanish, French, Italian... People aren't Latin People... (I'm generalizing xDDD).

So they use the Term Latino more than us (true), but that doesn't mean that we aren't Latin People and "Latino" is a Spanish Term xDDD.

The problem appears when Spanish/Italian/French/Romanian people think that they aren't latin and the only latin are Latin-American. I've noticed that there are many people from here who think that...

We know we are Latin.

Too much confusion in the Western world :)

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »

Offline GogetaAR

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Nintendo ID: AholaR

I think Latin Americans use mostly "Latin" for the videos and everything with a different voice/translation (let's face it, some of the Spanish voices/translations are awful), because most people I know never say they are Latinos, at least Chileans.

Made by Kaiza.

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class
I think Latin Americans use mostly "Latin" for the videos and everything with a different voice/translation (let's face it, some of the Spanish voices/translations are awful), because most people I know never say they are Latinos, at least Chileans.

And the correct form if you want to differentiate would be "Español América" xDD.

If I talk about the serie "Bandolero" I don't say (Spanish Andalusian), I say (Spanish). It's the same that confuse Dialect with Language.

The problem with the "voices" is that a Spanish American don't feel the accent from Spain near, because it's only neutral for Spanish People, you don't find near the characters. It's the same for Spanish People with the Spanish America dub, I don't want to see a character talking with Spanish America accent (unless the character is from there, then could be different [or not]). It's neutral for you, but not for us. This is the problem and it's the same with the translation, also we don't use to be accurate with the translation and many people is OK with the translation.

Other things are the mistakes, but we have mistakes and you have mistakes "vemos la paja en el ojo ajeno y no vemos la viga en el nuestro". This makes discussions, because nobody can be objective with his Dub xDD

(Clint Eastwood gave Constantino Romero(RIP the best  :'( ) congratulations for dub him in Spanish xDDD)

But this isn't a topic to talk about the dubs xD