nooooo Luke i was joking about the NC-17 link xD
  • October 14, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
    :)) :))
  • October 14, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
    DBhORor
  • October 11, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
    [link]
  • October 11, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
    That moment when I should be studying but I try to get distracted by anything and come check the forums :v
  • October 11, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
    wut
  • October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
    happyyy late birthday lukee
  • October 11, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
    happy belated
  • October 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM
    Happy Birthday  :hype:
  • October 10, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
    Happy B.Day Luke  :hbd:
  • October 10, 2017, 02:44:58 AM
    :popo:
  • October 10, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
    :hbd: :hbd:
  • October 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
    :8000:
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
    BoOoOOoO
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
    halllloooowweeeenn
  • October 09, 2017, 07:53:02 AM
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Ray Ray. [link] p.s: if you haven't seen the movie yet, go and do it. ofc you watch the first movie then the second one. it's actually nice^^
  • October 09, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
    ahh f*ck...forgot... [link]
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:23 AM
    *sees spooky theme* ... ---> [youtube]Xvjnoagk6GU[/youtube]
  • October 08, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
    Dragon Ball Online Revelations: Spooky Edition
  • October 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM
    It's Spoonbob
  • October 07, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
    who dat weirdo, monkey?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
    with a lot of fantasy it is out [link]
  • October 06, 2017, 10:00:37 AM
    Is this game still not out?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
  • October 04, 2017, 07:55:17 AM
    D=
  • October 04, 2017, 07:26:48 AM
    D:
  • October 04, 2017, 04:06:33 AM
    ;)
  • October 04, 2017, 02:03:01 AM
    :haaaah:

Topic: J-Stars Victory Vs+ getting a Western release  (Read 5767 times)

J-Stars Victory Vs+ getting a Western release
« on: December 24, 2014, 04:04:26 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
For those of you who recall, the game J-Stars Victory Vs (a fighting game featuring various anime characters that appeared in series on Weekly Shonen) was released some time ago in Japan for PS3 and Vita. Recently, it has been confirmed by Bandai Namco that the game will be ported over to America and Europe. The game will also be updated to PS4 while still remaining playable on PS3 and Vita. The game will also be including an Arcade Mode, though it is unknown what will happen to the Story Mode. A short trailer was released at Jump Festa.

What makes this game so special is that it's the first of the Jump multi-series to actually make it out of Japan. The last two games had the problem with copyright over in other countries hence it was never released outside of Japan.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 04:06:02 AM by BlazingBarrager »

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:09:56 AM »

Offline Rogue

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 15 / 3
    • View Profile
  • Praise the Radiant God! Jr. Master of Radiant Dawn
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
For those of you who recall, the game J-Stars Victory Vs (a fighting game featuring various anime characters that appeared in series on Weekly Shonen) was released some time ago in Japan for PS3 and Vita. Recently, it has been confirmed by Bandai Namco that the game will be ported over to America and Europe. The game will also be updated to PS4 while still remaining playable on PS3 and Vita. The game will also be including an Arcade Mode, though it is unknown what will happen to the Story Mode. A short trailer was released at Jump Festa.

What makes this game so special is that it's the first of the Jump multi-series to actually make it out of Japan. The last two games had the problem with copyright over in other countries hence it was never released outside of Japan.

Yep Yep. I can't wait

Dawning a new Radiant Strength
Join Radiant Dawn

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 04:13:42 AM »
    • View Profile
  • What to say
can't wait :p

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:08 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
this game is on ps4 yet it looks like a ps2 game. -smh-

why cant they make some good looking cel-shaded graphics anymore?
PS2 graphics my ass, this game looks better than any PS2 game.
Spoiler for Hidden:

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
what chu got against dragon quest m8
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 12:48:04 AM »

Offline West

• Global Moderator
  • 6 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 80 / 1
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Acc
  • Hail Doom Kay
  • I am a: Gun Maniac
Too late for this game, I was really hyped when it was announced but only on Asia so...
With Xenoverse and other sh!t I play, I can't handle more games, real life rekts me if I get more games lmao
R.I.P. Hall

|  Human Resources Leader for DBO Revelations  |

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 01:02:53 AM »

Offline SantiHN

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 3
    • View Profile
  • I am a: Plasma Majin

So wait... you're asking for "next-gen graphics" and ask for cel-shaded too? Not only cel-shaded makes the textures seem simple and flat, killing alot of the model's normal/bump maps, but add to that the fact that this is regular rendering, and to be honest, it's pretty good. The skin texture seems nicely done and either they got really good normal maps or they added extra polygons for details without sacrificing performance apparently. Not cel-shaded at all, bruh.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:05:50 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master

He'd like to have a word with you.

Still, I'm surprised they decided to bring this game out of Japan.
Not complaining, mind you... I'm just amazed that someone finally said "Screw it! I like money!" and decided to get it localized.
Now if SEGA would just get off it's ass as make a world-wide release of Phantasy Star Online 2 and Phantasy Star Nova, we'd really be cooking!

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 04:09:38 AM »
    • View Profile
  • /)^3^(\
Its not that goddamn simple, bro.

You see theres over 9000 localization companies in the us for these motherfucking amine/manga and getting  evety single one of em into the project is no laughing matter.

For them dirty japs its super easy since its all the same company they be dealing with.

Alsoi that pic looks atrocious. What is that more ps2 shit? Looks like it could POSSIBLY be on the wii. Just by the skin of its teeth tho.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:15:43 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Its not that goddamn simple, bro.

You see theres over 9000 localization companies in the us for these motherfucking amine/manga and getting  evety single one of em into the project is no laughing matter.

For them dirty japs its super easy since its all the same company they be dealing with.

Alsoi that pic looks atrocious. What is that more ps2 shit? Looks like it could POSSIBLY be on the wii. Just by the skin of its teeth tho.

All those manga (which the game uses as it's source) are owned by Shonen Jump, even in the US. Saying they need the permission of whoever owns the anime is incorrect.
If you need further proof, look through any volume of Dragon Ball. There's not a single mention of FUNImation in the copyright/trademark/legal mumbo-jumbo.

Also, if that's "PS2" quality, show me any PS2 game that matches that graphically.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 04:18:25 AM »
    • View Profile
  • /)^3^(\
Then why the hell didnt they release jump ultimate/super stars over here? Thats sum bulllshit, son

And bam

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 04:52:53 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Then why the hell didnt they release jump ultimate/super stars over here? Thats sum bulllshit, son

Because... stupidity!
Those are hardly the first games to not get released for one reason or another.
By your train of thought, that's the reason why none of the Code: Geass, Death Note, or other major games never got released outside of Japan... yet, there was no legal issue there.

And as for your screenshot... is that actually the PS2 version? 'Cuz I'm betting that's the HD version on the PS3, which renders your argument invalid.

Not to mention it's not cel-shaded, which is what you were complaining about in the first place.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »
    • View Profile
  • /)^3^(\
And as for your screenshot... is that actually the PS2 version? 'Cuz I'm betting that's the HD version on the PS3, which renders your argument invalid.

Its from the ps2 version but running on an emulator

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 05:07:32 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Its from the ps2 version but running on an emulator

In other words, you're still upscaling it beyond the original quality.
And it's still not cel-shaded.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 05:13:13 AM »
    • View Profile
  • /)^3^(\
If anything the textures and polygons should look worse in higher resolution. Just goes to show how much work was put into that game originally.

And I never said it was cel shaded, you asked for an example of a ps2 game with better graphics than that image you posted

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 05:31:20 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
If anything the textures and polygons should look worse in higher resolution. Just goes to show how much work was put into that game originally.

And I never said it was cel shaded, you asked for an example of a ps2 game with better graphics than that image you posted

And yet, if you run it on an actual PS2, it's a blurry, ugly mess.

Still think it looks so superb?

As for the cel-shading thing, it should have been implied (not to mention this discussion began because of you complaining about cel-shading). You're trying to compare two completely different styles of graphics.
That'd be like comparing Persona 4 Arena to Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 6 to Baldur's Gate II, or DBO to Ragnarok Online.

By your train of logic, you're complaining that a cel-shaded game like Xenoverse should look like a game with a serious aesthetic like Shadow of the Colossus. You can't have it both ways.

You wanna complain about cel-shading?
Maybe compare it to a game running at it's actual hardware of a similar aesthetic.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 05:39:08 AM »
    • View Profile
  • /)^3^(\
lol how long did it take you to find a pic of SotC that actually looked sub-par?

^both from ps2

Well if you want a purty looking cel-shaded game look no further than idolmaster 2. Sure its a ps3 game but it came out soooo long ago its not even funny. The character models and animations really stand out.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:48:29 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
lol how long did it take you to find a pic of SotC that actually looked sub-par?

Well if you want a purty looking cel-shaded game look no further than idolmaster 2. Sure its a ps3 game but it came out soooo long ago its not even funny. The character models and animations really stand out.

Having actually played SotC on the PS2, I know for a fact that it looked exactly like the picture I posted.

Now, comparing it to Idolmaster, that's actually a fair assessment. I can't argue that it's got excellent cel-shading quality, and the character models do look quite good (and I can actually praise the animation, as it's very fluid).
In fact, I will willingly concede that I prefer the actual shading of Idolmaster to XV's shading method.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 07:41:15 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Heads up. It doesn't actually matter if the game has a higher polygon count. What matters, at the end of the day, is whether or not it's aesthetically pleasing. Okami and Shadow of the Colossus are from two console generations ago and get this: they still look nicer than a lot of modern games, polygon count or otherwise. Even though those are higher resolution models, it still doesn't look that much "nicer" than, say, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, an early Playstation 2 game. This is a screenshot from the original game, not the HD collection.

Spoiler for MGS2:

While the ability to render games at higher resolutions has increased, (this is obviously nowhere near as beautiful as the latest entry in the series) it doesn't really do much for a game like J-Stars because the graphics are based on manga with a relatively clean, simple aesthetic in the first place -- not a realistic aesthetic like Metal Gear Solid. Games like that have basically hit a ceiling with how "good" they can look.

That said, they could be doing way more to replicate that aesthetic of the manga and I feel like a lot of fightan games based on manga are terrible at it. The goal should be trying to replicate the look of the artwork, and if you ask me, they're not exactly doing up a bang-up job. Look again at J-Stars and then compare that to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle.

Spoiler for JoJo:

My problem with a lot of manga and anime-based games is that they have a very rounded aesthetic as opposed to attempting to replicate the flat one the source material has. As this game shows, that's clearly not impossible, yet game developers consistently fall back on making them look 3D and "pretty". Nia's screenshot from whatever Dragon Ball game shows something I think is superior to what they're doing with this title, but that's just my take on it.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Heads up. It doesn't actually matter if the game has a higher polygon count. What matters, at the end of the day, is whether or not it's aesthetically pleasing. Okami and Shadow of the Colossus are from two console generations ago and get this: they still look nicer than a lot of modern games, polygon count or otherwise. Even though those are higher resolution models, it still doesn't look that much "nicer" than, say, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, an early Playstation 2 game. This is a screenshot from the original game, not the HD collection.

Nia's screenshot from whatever Dragon Ball game shows something I think is superior to what they're doing with this title, but that's just my take on it.

To be honest? I think SotC is actually one of the ugliest games I've ever seen. It's bland and colorless, and the graphics are blurry (not to mention the choppy animation).
Okami was, and still is gorgeous, though.
And you're right, more polygons doesn't make something look better. Some games like Okami, MGS2, and DDS2 (the other game I showed a screenshot from) were all on the PS2, and all still hold up quite well today.
But claiming a game looks like "PS2 shit" just because they don't like the aesthetics doesn't make something like SotC look good.

My screenshot was from the upcoming Dragon Ball Xenoverse, for the record.

Jump Vs. may not be a perfect representation of manga, but it's far from being poor looking:

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
shadow looks nowhere near as good as modern day games wtf. the draw distance and lighting effects were very impressive...back then. but now not so much.

also its not just poly count that matters, also texture work and such

=_= it is like one extreme to the other. why can there be no happy medium?

the game LOOKED extremely impressive BACK THEN. the colors i will agree with but i think that was to set the mood.

^this is actually pretty good graphics. it is the same game?

Because I'm a person of extremes! :P
I just was severely disappointed with SotC's graphics. They felt so lifeless, and considering how good many PS2 games looked (and still look), it seemed a shame... especially coming from the same team that made Ico, which was so vivid and full of life, even in somewhat empty environments.

And yeah, those graphics are from J-Stars Victory Vs.

Above all else, it's the lighting effects that really impress me.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
To be honest? I think SotC is actually one of the ugliest games I've ever seen. It's bland and colorless, and the graphics are blurry (not to mention the choppy animation).

The bland, colorless aesthetic of Shadow of the Colossus is integral to the game, though. The game takes place in a bleak wasteland. If it was bright and colorful, it wouldn't have the same impact. The choppy animation was also intentional and a part of the same look they were going for.

shadow looks nowhere near as good as modern day games wtf. the draw distance and lighting effects were very impressive...back then. but now not so much.

also its not just poly count that matters, also texture work and such

You're missing the point. I'm saying that even though it looks better from a technical level, that doesn't mean it's any prettier in terms of its aesthetics. The characters in J-Stars all look almost exactly like well-made action figures. People give too much importance to the graphic quality as opposed to the core question: does the finished product look good? Because personally, I don't think that the stiff, action figure look is anywhere near as nice as what I've seen other manga-based games go with.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
The bland, colorless aesthetic of Shadow of the Colossus is integral to the game, though. The game takes place in a bleak wasteland. If it was bright and colorful, it wouldn't have the same impact. The choppy animation was also intentional and a part of the same look they were going for.

You can argue the blandess and colorlessness to a certain degree (although, let's face it, Fallout 3 was also bleak and desolate, and still didn't look bland).
As for the animation, no game should purposely look choppy. Not only was it ugly, but it was like watching something with horribly low framerate.
A good game can be harmed by unintentional choppiness. Intentional choppiness is either an excuse from them not wanting to admit they could fix the problems, or is a VERY stupid choice on their part.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
dragon's dogma still has a million times worse framerate :)

and also bland washed out colors too
Dragon's Dogma had better framerate than SotC (at least the PS3 version did... I've heard the 360 version chugged). But it is an example of a good game harmed by framerate issues.

Spoiler for Hidden:

That's hardly bland or washed out. Dragon's Dogma was much more colorful, and the environments weren't just boring empty space.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »

Offline Darkclox

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 2
    • View Profile
  • Hollow
  • I am a: Dende Priest
I don't like the game speed, feels like ''uggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *attack*''