* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:40 PM
    Sorry. Mourning makes me stupid. and I apologize for spamming the shoutbox. XD
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
    I POSTED A DIFFERENT LINK LIKE AN IDIOT. HERE'S THE REAL ONE. [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:33:06 PM
    There you go, Lati. Fixed it for ya.
  • November 17, 2017, 03:32:58 PM
    [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:31:00 PM
    There we go. Get yourself depressed by listening to Boogie Back. ;_;
  • November 17, 2017, 03:30:28 PM
    Woops. Messed it up. [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:27:39 PM
    Here's a way better tribute: [youtube]4BMcZPLI75U[/youtube]
  • November 17, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
    Heresy
  • November 17, 2017, 02:55:16 PM
    Oops it’s the English one . But it’s pretty much just as good .
  • November 17, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
    Oh I was beaten to it ~ anyway  in honor of Bulma [link]
  • November 17, 2017, 02:53:47 PM
    Rip Bulma
  • November 17, 2017, 01:40:58 PM
    Hiromi Tsuru, the Japanese voice of Bulma, passed away.
  • November 17, 2017, 09:17:01 AM
    Silly Luffy.  Yamcha isn't even in our guild!
  • November 17, 2017, 07:47:03 AM
    love yourself xD
  • November 17, 2017, 05:26:10 AM
    Luffy, I'm lonely. Please love me.
  • November 17, 2017, 02:01:32 AM
    O0
  • November 16, 2017, 12:41:44 PM
    :devildbo:
  • November 16, 2017, 08:31:03 AM
    :devildbo:
  • November 16, 2017, 08:30:43 AM
    *update*: [link]
  • November 16, 2017, 08:29:02 AM
    offf... [link]
  • November 16, 2017, 05:30:39 AM
    MC > Whatever your guild is
  • November 16, 2017, 02:26:31 AM
    [link]
  • November 15, 2017, 06:11:58 AM
    Monster hunter world needs to be released already .
  • November 15, 2017, 02:07:46 AM
    @Nia yes
  • November 14, 2017, 11:09:16 PM
    you can't deal with my awesomeness....
  • November 14, 2017, 04:50:18 PM
    You tryin' to steal people from my guild?
  • November 14, 2017, 04:10:08 PM
    Our guild is fun sometimes. You should come visit.
  • November 14, 2017, 04:07:31 PM
    Luffy, join MC you nub

Topic: Sonic Lost World: Good or Bad?  (Read 1492 times)

Sonic Lost World: Good or Bad?
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:54:32 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Super Kami Guru approves this
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Hey guys, this is my first ever review here.

I am reviewing

WARNING: THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

This game peaked my interests last Christmas when I bought my younger brother Sonic Lost World for his Wii U, and myself a copy for the 3DS (lol, my older brother would get me my own Wii U because he's nice like that)

Me, being the busy bee I am, only played it a little. Cut to now, where I actually have time to play Videogames.

My brother enjoyed it (Because he's younger, of course) But did I enjoy it? Many people said the game was bad because it got good to bad reviews.
Well I am here to clear up the confusion.

Well, short answer, the game is very confused. , but I like it.
It's like if Nintendo made a Sonic game (kinda)

Now, this game is a very acquired taste and is not for everyone, so I will be doing 2 ratings. How good it actually was, and how much I enjoyed it as a Sonic/Mario fan, and will be breaking down different elements.

Gameplay: Well in Sonic Lost World, there is this parkour system, blah blah. There are wisps from Sonic Colors returning, too. Personally, I did not know why they returned, even though they are as fun as ever, the parkour system and wisps rarely are good together ingame, and the controls arent helping. I can only think of 2 levels where the wisps and the Parkour are implemented well together. Sometimes, the wisps are rather tedious. In this one level, you have to be a drill and drill through underwater vertexes and holy sweet JESUS was this frustrating, and again, the controls are not helping. You press the L button to go up or down as drill through water.

Speaking of controls, they are horrible. Sonic always feels slippery his momentum is crap (even for a Sonic game. I think this is the result of the confused Nintendo-Esq things Lost World tries to do so desperately). Also, there is a run button. I don't know how I feel about that.

I do however, think the controls are pretty good with the Parkour system. Even though it's very easy to f**k up, it feels very natural going up walls and cliffs, and so very satisfying. With the parkour system, you play the stage in a whole new way, skipping whole parts of the map you didn't know you could skip. You can find secrets if you look hard enough, which is very rewarding. I feel like if they refined the Parkour system, they could make something amazing of it. In the end about Parkour and wisps, they both work well separately, but NOT together.

The platforming stuff, (because in the end, Sonic really is just a platforming game) can be really fun, but really bad at times. (Just like this game) Leisure platforming and speed platforming could really go both ways. If it's a short platform, your going to have a bad time with speed platforming. Sometimes, leisure platforming won't make the jump. (You could always do the Classic Sonic Adventure Jump Dash, but it seems nerfed a bit this time around. It still works great because you have a double jump.) The elemental shield are back, and BETTER than ever! They are so fun to use, no joke. Also, you can do stuff like snowboard, and ride hover vehicles across the levels sometimes which makes for a fun time.

Fighting in this game is fantastic. Sonic has some cool new moves this time around. Of course you can spindash, but you can forever spindash holding the run button. It can be used to take out a horde of enemys and is a great time. Sonic can also do the homing attack, but if you wait long enough, you can do a charged homing attack, and is possible the most op thing ever (and fun). I do have a grip with the homing attack. There is this thing called "chained homign attack" which can do a homing attack on ALL things in the area, and I died frequently trying to get a ring box when I hit then ring box and then hit a flying enemy backwards and fall to my death. Exclusively to the 3DS version is the "Somersalt Kick", which stuns enemys. It's usefulness isn't until late game, but it's still fun.

I rate gameplay an 8/10. I can just SMELL the potential Sonic Team was cooking up. They were so close, but yet so far. The gameplay is confused with it's self, and the controls are horrid, but everything is very solid and quite enjoyable. In the end, it really is Super Sonic Galaxy because of Nintendo's influence.

Graphics, Sound, and Cut-scenes: Oh boy, this will be interesting. I actually like the style they were going here. It gives off a Classic Sonic feel (intentionally to grab players in, who only really played Green Hill Zone) On gameplay videos and trailers (like any 3DS game) looks TERRIBLE. Up close however, looks really nice. It looks impressive on a 3DS and Sonic Team did a good job making it look like the Wii U. Lost Hex is an interesting location, if anything. I wish they would do more with it, though.

9/10

The music, while not as Sonic-esqe this time, really fits the style of the game, and I like it.

8/10

The cut scenes are TERRIBLY compressed for one. The jokes aren't funny. However, the voice acting is Top Notch here.

5/10

Overall, the Presentation of Lost World 3DS is a good 8. Sometimes graphical glitches occur and some sound glitches, but it's good for what we got.

Level Design and Bosses: This one is quite the mixed bag. There are some levels that are downright awful, (like that water Drill level) but I am very happy to report those are the minority, unlike Lost World Wii U. (But it still does hinder the experience a bit) A lot of the levels can be very creative at times, like this one snow level where you have to use acrobatics to get across the stage with a wisp power) and the themes of the levels are good (like snowboarding).

There are puzzles in this game too. Don't get your pants in a notch, because some of them are pretty cool. They are quick, fast paced mind challengers that are fun and don't really hurt Sonic's momentum. But other's however, ehhh... They can be slow and clunky, incredibly hard, and completely stop Sonic.

Level Design: 7.5/10 Some of it's good, Some of it's bad. If you can overlook the bad ones (the minority) your in for a good time.

I don't care what anyone says, the Boss Battles are a big highlight of this game (even if there a bit easy). There is this a really good one against the Master Zeti (will explain later) where he uses his mind powers to throw fruit at you, and you hit it back. You break a hole in his defenses, but he gets a bit more offensive.

The boss battle against Eggman (big shocker) is nothing special and is a copy of Colors' Final Boss (Wii version, NOT DS) and it works fine. Still fun.

9.5/10 for bosses

Story: There's not much to say. Sonic and Tails land on lost Hex, yatatata.. They fight Eggman, Zeti get lose, yatatata.. I feel like though, Lost Hex could of been explored much more and Sonic Team could of given the Zeti actual personality instead of them being one traited characters. They have cool designs Sega, so why didn't you explore their backgrounds?

I give the story a 6.5/10. It works for a Sonic game, whatever. I miss the Adventure days where it actual stories. Or the Classics. It told a story to you without even trying. Like seriously.

Multiplayer Stuff: You can play with your friends on shortened tracks, like Sonic Adventure 2. They actually feel like the full track, so i'm not complaining. You have have a RC plane fight with your friends, yatata. There is my favorite multiplayer mode where you can fight as other colored Sonics and beat the ever living s**t out of your friends. Basically, a Sonic PVP. Cool idea Sega. Time to go play Sonic the Fighters again.  ;D

9/10

Verdict: I am in the minority of people that like Sonic Lost World, and I am ok with it. It took me a while to see past all the crap, but it's like really really really rusty platinum. What works, REALLY works so well. I feel like I can't recommend this to people who get stuck on the little things. But if you can see past the bad things in "Sonic Lost World", then your in for a great time, (no alcohol required lol)

Purely Technical Verdict: 7.5/10

Personal Opinion Verdict: 8.5/10

FINAL VERDICT: 7.9/10

Also, DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON SONIC BOOM!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:56:23 AM by Umbrax »

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:57:07 AM »

Offline Inzane

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 6 / 32
    • View Profile
  • Hmph...
  • I am a: Crane Hermit
Damn, I'm lazy asf.....,

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:02:54 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Also to Note:

As a friend of mine puts it:

"Sonic: Lost World is a good videogame. It's just not a good Sonic game."

"Got told off by lukey senpai and made me wear the hat of shame for 5 months until he stopped looking at me with hate on his aussie eyes senpai dono sensei ggwp miyagi san naruto baka pokemon" - Our very own mature Moderator, West

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »

Offline Bardock

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 85 / 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
  • Legendary warrior.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
meh too much sonic 7.8/10
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

like and subscribe please

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:19:10 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
meh too much sonic 7.8/10

My review is a 7.8/10 or the game?

A 7.8 is still a good game, not just a must buy game.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:13 AM »

Offline Bardock

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 85 / 6
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
  • Legendary warrior.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
My review is a 7.8/10 or the game?

A 7.8 is still a good game, not just a must buy game.
It was a joke reference toward that reviewer of pokemon alpha sapphire
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

like and subscribe please

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:00 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
It was a joke reference toward that reviewer of pokemon alpha sapphire

LOL! I get it now, I am just too damn tired to get it.

GG Bardock.

GG.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 03:35:38 AM »

Offline Rogue

• Dragon King's Strength
  • Honor: 15 / 3
    • View Profile
  • Praise the Radiant God! Jr. Master of Radiant Dawn
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
well the game looked good

Dawning a new Radiant Strength
Join Radiant Dawn

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 03:36:40 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
well the game looked good

If you can look past all of it mistakes, it's good.

Are you thinking about trying it, Rogue?

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 04:11:50 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
So, we got a mediocre Sonic game... or rather (much like Sonic Heroes), a good game that's just not a good Sonic game...
And one that makes Sonic '06 look like a masterpiece.

SEGA, can we have another Sonic Generations? Please?

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:25 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
I want to try out Lost World Wii U. The 3DS version doesn't look good and wasn't very fun from what I played. The best Sanic game for me will always be Generations.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:51 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
I want to try out Lost World Wii U. The 3DS version doesn't look good and wasn't very fun from what I played. The best Sanic game for me will always be Generations.

I believe the Wii U version is more fun, but the 3DS has better levels.

@Nia Yeah, Sonic Lost World feels more like a fast paced Super Mario Galaxy with homing attack and spindash lol

It's a good game, but not a good Sonic game. Your right.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
3DS version had horrible bosses and level design. I give it a 6/10.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 05:58:08 AM »

Offline Umbrax

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
3DS version had horrible bosses and level design. I give it a 6/10.

For some levels yes.

I literally played through the entire game again to do this review.