[November 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM]

Anyone from Canada? by Yuhao
[November 09, 2017, 03:10:56 PM]

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]

Topic: Need help with DBZ on DVD  (Read 4063 times)

Need help with DBZ on DVD
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 7 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
Hey bros, I've been trying for a while to decide which DVD set for DBZ I want, maybe you bros can help me. I prefer the funi nation dub and I would like as many special features as possible. I do have a blu ray player (my ps3) and I have some other blu rays. I like dvd's better but I'm not too picky about the format. I would like a complete set so I can start watching ASAP. I'm willing to answer any questions to help me find the best set. And while I'm at it. I wanted a dragon ball dvd set too. Thanks

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
If you want all the bells and whistles, get the Dragon Box sets. They're supposed to be pretty similar (albeit cheaper and smaller) to the Japanese sets of the same name.
Unlike the orange remastered boxes (like I have), they're in full screen instead of cropped wide-screen, and they come with a lot of extras (dunno if that's just on the disc, or in stuff that comes with it, but there you have it). I think they're only up to the fourth one in Blu-ray releases though, which covers up to the Cell saga if memory serves. Can't say how far the DVD releases are though.
If you want it for cheap, and don't mind dropping bonus features, the nine remastered sets can be found for dirt cheap.

As for Dragon Ball, I only know of the remastered box sets on DVD, of which there's four. I can't vouch for the quality though, as I've yet to pick them up myself.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »

Offline Xicer

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 19
    • View Profile
  • I hate you all
  • I am a: Ultimate Majin
Or you could just watch them online or download them for free.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »

Offline Mr.Sanchez

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 1 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Sanchez the Bloodthisty Warrior
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
Or you could just watch them online or download them for free.
Its cooler to actually have it ;)
"I fight to see yet another dawn"-Roxas the Great

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »

Offline Xicer

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 19
    • View Profile
  • I hate you all
  • I am a: Ultimate Majin

I guess... Still though I personally wouldn't spend money on something I could get for free

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:03:13 AM »

Offline SSJGGoku

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 10 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Sir, Finishing This Fight.
It also supports the franchise

Special thanks to Kaiza for this awesome sig!

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
So dragon box looks like it may be the best way to go, but is there a set that has the Bruce faulconer soundtrack? And what's the difference between the bluray and the dragon box? Just the definition right? And the fact that dragon box is expensive due to end of production and blu ray hasn't fully come out yet. (It's up to set six which is the cell games)

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Dragon Box should have the Faulconer soundtrack. As far as I know, it has the Japanese version, the English version with the broadcast (Faulconer) soundtrack, and the English version with the Japanese soundtrack just like the season sets, although I can't verify for certain as I don't have them. And yeah, as far as I know, the Blu-ray version is identical to the DVD version.

At the very least, I know for a fact that the "Orange Bricks", the remastered season box-sets, have those three versions. They're extremely inexpensive (you can usually find them for $10-$25 each, maybe cheaper since I got mine fairly early in the release), and as long as you're not picky about extras (which are pretty much non-existent on them) or the screen size (16:9 cropped), they're not a bad deal at all.
Those were released in 9 "seasons", and for my needs, are great.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
    • View Profile
  • I will bring about a new age of THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!
  • I am a: Fighter
I guess... Still though I personally wouldn't spend money on something I could get for free
+1 theres a reason anime is put online  ;)
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
~Napoleon Hill

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
Yeah I think I'll wait a little while and buy the season1-9 +13 movies set in eBay for 270$. And then I'll just as on dragonball later. Thanks Nia

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
    • View Profile
  • I will bring about a new age of THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!
  • I am a: Fighter
O_O wait will someone be selling that?
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
~Napoleon Hill

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
You can probably find them cheaper on Amazon.com.
Although, I got mine from the local video store (except Season 4).

The first three were $50 each, but that was when they first came out.
4th I got from a Walmart for $30.
The others were all like $15-20. I dunno if they were all just on sale, or if they're just that inexpensive now.

As for the movies, I can't really say.
I got the first one for $10 (and was thankfully the Ocean dub version).
Movies 2 and 3 were both $20 each (again, Ocean dub version).
Movies 4,5,6 I got for $30 all at the same time, but the guy I bought them from gave me a discount.
7 I got from a friend.
8, 10, 11 I got from a $30 box-set.
9, 12 and 13 were $20 each, but I got them as soon as they were released (except 9).

I think the movies are released on Blu-Ray like 2-3 to a disk, but I don't know how much. Dunno about the DVD releases either, but the average will be $20 per movie (I'm guessing).

The TV specials are in a bundle, so that'll probably be $20 for them.
I know the Trunks special was $20 when I bought it, but I got the Bardock one for free.]

It all depends on where you go to look. A lot of those sets on eBay and Amazon are gonna be bootlegs, so you wanna be careful and look it over.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Hey bros, I've been trying for a while to decide which DVD set for DBZ I want, maybe you bros can help me. I prefer the funi nation dub and I would like as many special features as possible. I do have a blu ray player (my ps3) and I have some other blu rays. I like dvd's better but I'm not too picky about the format. I would like a complete set so I can start watching ASAP. I'm willing to answer any questions to help me find the best set. And while I'm at it. I wanted a dragon ball dvd set too. Thanks

There are three different routes you could go:

1. Orange Bricks: Something I'd highly recommend not using. Minimal "special features" (I have no idea if they have any, actually), but a cheap way to watch the series, albeit it is oversaturated and the top and bottom of the image are slightly cropped off. If you have to have the Faulconer score, this is literally the only way to go.

2. Dragon Boxes: Only if you have a lot of cash to spend, because this stuff is out of print and in high demand. Easily the best looking release, but it's not made with fans of the FUNimation dub in mind. It still has the dub as an audio track (though it defaults to Japanese with subs), though the Faulconer score is missing and is instead the FUNimation dub with the Japanese score.

3. Kai on DVD/Blu-Ray: Much more expensive than the Orange Bricks, but it will probably cost less than the Dragon Boxes, and be more convenient for the buyer. Keep in mind that Kai is not finished, has a different score, and a different dub, though most of the voice actors are the same and I honestly think their performances are better this time around. The DVD/Blu-ray releases are uncensored, unlike broadcast versions, though censorship present in the original Japanese version is still present, though much more minor compared to what was on American television.

There are other DVD releases for the series, but they're all out of print and probably just plain not worth it. DVD releases for Dragon Ball are extremely convoluted outside of those releases.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:00:08 AM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
Yeah there are people selling the entire dragon box set all together and with added little extras al over eBay. I'm just gonna look at different options, add up the costs and see which bundle will be the best deal. I want to wait for the blu ray release of the funi nation dub but like I said blu rays a little more of a pain inthe ass than DVDs are because I gotta use my ps3. And I'm not hardcore enough to watch the Japanese dub. Too distracting xP

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 02:37:20 AM »

Offline Steven

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Sexy Steve
As for Dragon Ball, I only know of the remastered box sets on DVD, of which there's four. I can't vouch for the quality though, as I've yet to pick them up myself.

There's 5. I can't really tell any difference between them and the orange Dbz sets, so I would assume they're the same.

If you're willing to spend the money, I would go with the dragon box sets. But the orange remastered sets will do just fine if you don't want to spend the extra cash. As for the music, I honestly can't remember what they have. I own both the orange box set and the dragon box set and I can't remember. It's been a while since I've watched them. But I see Kiyza answered that so it doesn't really matter that I couldnt remember.

Or you could go old school and buy them on VHS or the old DVD sets that had the same covers as the VHS tapes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:50:30 AM by Steven »

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 07:28:46 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Yeah there are people selling the entire dragon box set all together and with added little extras al over eBay. I'm just gonna look at different options, add up the costs and see which bundle will be the best deal. I want to wait for the blu ray release of the funi nation dub but like I said blu rays a little more of a pain inthe ass than DVDs are because I gotta use my ps3. And I'm not hardcore enough to watch the Japanese dub. Too distracting xP

eBay tends to be a bit iffy on this stuff. It's easy to sell bootlegs on there (and occasionally on Amazon). Most of the time, if the deal looks too good to be true, it is.
The orange bricks are really a good deal, and if you're not too picky on the whole cropped-widescreen thing, they're a great route in my opinion.

There's 5. I can't really tell any difference between them and the orange Dbz sets, so I would assume they're the same.

If you're willing to spend the money, I would go with the dragon box sets. But the orange remastered sets will do just fine if you don't want to spend the extra cash. As for the music, I honestly can't remember what they have. I own both the orange box set and the dragon box set and I can't remember. It's been a while since I've watched them. But I see Kiyza answered that so it doesn't really matter that I couldnt remember.

Or you could go old school and buy them on VHS or the old DVD sets that had the same covers as the VHS tapes.
Ah, you're right. Five for Dragon Ball. My bad.

As Kiyza says, the Dragon Box doesn't have the Faulconer score, and she's probably got more knowledge on it than I do.
The orange boxes do have it (as I stated before, it has the Falcouner score, the Dub with the JP score, and the JP subtitled version) for a fact.

Also, don't bother with the individual VHS/ DVD releases. Not only are they laughably bad quality most of the time, but they never completed the full series. Plus, the whole 3 episodes to a disc (most of the time) means it'll take up an assload of shelf space.

If the Dragon Box really doesn't have the Falcouner score, and you absolutely need it, then the remastered orange bricks are best ones to get. They're also by far the most affordable.
Otherwise, I'd say the Dragon Box is the best one, since it's got all the fancy bells and whistles, but I don't know if it has the Falcouner score (since Kiyza mentioned that).

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
I'm an adult, I've dealt with Ebay multiple times. I know all about false advertisement, I think I'll manage but thanks ;)

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »

Offline Steven

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 23 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Sexy Steve
Also, don't bother with the individual VHS/ DVD releases. Not only are they laughably bad quality most of the time, but they never completed the full series. Plus, the whole 3 episodes to a disc (most of the time) means it'll take up an assload of shelf space.

What exactly are they missing?

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
To clarify what I said earlier, yes, only the Orange Bricks and previous DVD releases actually have the Faulconer score. The Dragon Boxes only have the original score with the FUNimation dub.

DVD releases for Dragon Ball Z are so convoluted it would be difficult to really tell you. Regardless of whether or not it were completed, it's worth noting that you probably won't find this release outside of one or two sets here and there, even if you spend time on eBay.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
Ok I'm not sure I can live without the Bruce faulconer score, the music just makes everything for better for me. But I hate widescreen I mean damnit, why can they release one set that has evry option available and let the fans choose what they wanna hear? C'mon funimation!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

They're missing a large chunk of the Freeza saga (it may not have even finished the Saiyajin saga, I'm not sure). That's because the so-called "Ultimate Uncut Editions" were never finished.
Those same episodes are used in the Orange Bricks, so take that as you will.

Ok I'm not sure I can live without the Bruce faulconer score, the music just makes everything for better for me. But I hate widescreen I mean damnit, why can they release one set that has evry option available and let the fans choose what they wanna hear? C'mon funimation!!!
Funimation is a little like CAPCOM. In a few months, expect the Super Hyper Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Uncut Turbo Championship Remastered Edition, which will contain the Funi dub with the Japanese music, the Funi dub with Falcouner music, the Funi dub with Kai voices and Falcouner music, the Ocean dub voices, the Japanese version, and for the hell of it, and entire version sung as a musical. XD

But if you want full screen you'll need to wait for the Super Hyper Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Uncut Turbo Championship Remastered Remixed Uber Collector's Limited Edition. But it won't have any music.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:46:16 PM by Nia »

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:15 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus

The Dragon Box set in particular was a direct response to criticism of the Orange Brick sets -- and most of that criticism was done by fans of the Japanese version. I'd imagine Daizenshuu EX (Kanzenshuu EX today) probably had a profound impact, as their webmaster was one of the earliest and most vocal complainers. He's done a podcast for years and I've listened to an episode back from when the Orange Bricks were announced where he gives FUNimation shit for releasing it in "widescreen" format, especially when the Japanese had those nifty Dragon Box sets. The side of the fandom that preferred the series in Japanese largely hung on Daizenshuu EX back in the day because it really did gravitate toward that particular version of the series, though the site's community is a very different beast today.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that's the reason the Dragon Box sets are made with fans of the Japanese version in mind -- they're more "educated" than the casual consumer who's going to buy the Orange Bricks from the local Wal-Mart, as they're more apt to understand the differences between releases, and if FUNimation wants their money, they'll need to cater to them a bit. Fans of the dub are typically more causal because they just encompass a general group of people who enjoyed the series while they were on Toonami. In FUNimation's eyes, they're not as likely to complain about the quality of the DVD release they're getting, so there's no reason to give them a better DVD release... for now.

Like Nia said, FUNimation will go to any length to milk the cash cow that is the Dragon Ball franchise and it's likely they'll just put out a new DVD release somewhere down the road, likely whenever they stop printing the Bricks. In the meantime, you have a choice between the Orange Bricks, the Dragon Boxes, and the old DVD releases that are impossible to find if you want the old FUNimation dub. (or the redone dub for the first two sets, because FUNi only actually took over after "Season 3")

If you wanted to get crazy about it, you could always purchase both releases, rip the audio track for the dub with the Faulconer score, and sync it up on headphones while you watch the Dragon Box release on your TV. If you're like me and typically watch your anime on your computer, I'd bet there's even a program out there that can do that syncing for you.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
Well thanks kiyza, your knowledge of everything dbz never ceases to amaze me. You've been helpful and I have some thinking to do on which version to buy. Thank you Kiyza and Nia