• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Yesterday at 03:09:39 AM
    Planet of the Great Apes
  • Yesterday at 01:59:29 AM
    high hopes for that movie xD
  • Yesterday at 01:59:23 AM
    :smugdbo: [link]
  • December 16, 2017, 04:24:05 AM
    "....grenades going off in your face" is a metaphor for "...if players go mad over bugs and problems" etc.... xD
  • December 16, 2017, 04:21:29 AM
    dumke gonna ask him questions like the instructor here...and the dude gonna answer like the new dude xD [link]
  • December 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM
    interestinngg,  a new recruit
  • December 15, 2017, 01:05:20 AM
    Pm Me.
  • December 14, 2017, 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • December 14, 2017, 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • December 14, 2017, 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing

Topic: "Spooky" Game Recommendations?  (Read 4753 times)

"Spooky" Game Recommendations?
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:30:35 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Alright  DBOR forums, you guys are usually pretty good when it comes to recommending games, so I figured I'd give this a shot.

Right now, I'm looking for a game that's "spooky", but not actual horror. I'm loving my playthrough of Amnesia: The Dark Descent right now, and I definitely will finish it, but I'm starting to realize that games like this aren't something I can play for more than an hour at a time. I have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and playing Amnesia is actually triggering physical symptoms, like shortness of breath -- and I'm not just talking about heavy breathing. I'm sure that sounds strange to people reading this, and I might be giving a bit too much information, but I want you to understand that playing something that's full horror isn't what I'm looking for.

I was chatting with a friend the other day about Luigi's Mansion and how I really loved the atmosphere of the game. I'd like to play something around that general level, where the overall atmosphere of the game is eerie and unnerving -- and perhaps a bit surreal -- but not something that's full of jump scares and is meant to get your adrenaline pumping. To clarify, I don't necessarily want something cartoony like Luigi's Mansion. I just want a game -- pretty much any genre of game -- that that has a "spooky" atmosphere and is fun to play.

So, can I get some recs?

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »

Offline kami97

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 13 / 2
    • View Profile
  • parkour > life
  • I am a: Poko Priest
I know some shooter game which was really fun for me... the game is for pc and I need to dig the dvd with the game but i'm not really sure where is it and what is the name since i'm not playing it for two years or so... the game is not really scary but it have enough elements to make you nervous while you play it. As soon  as I find dvd i will tell you the name of the game

edit:
i found it... the name is "Soldier Elite"
I also found "Art of Murder'... it may have what you look for but it's not really action kind of game

off topic: I also found "splinter cell blacklist" and i don't know why the hell i never tried it out
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:30:51 AM by kami97 »

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »

Offline 9Tail

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 7 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Veteran
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
If you're okay with shooters tht have some horror in them, doom 3 is scary not in the sense of like a normal game, it's scary that you're afraid of being snuck up on from behind and atacked. And also the dead space games are scary as sh*t and also provoke that fear of being attacked from behind or where you can't see. If you don't want horror at all, I don't suggest either because dead space is incredible gory and includes dismemberment and doom is about shooting demons so yeah that's about all I got for you :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:15:11 AM by 9Tail »

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:08:04 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human

Thats what you will need too know about the few scary easter eggs in doom 3.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
I know some shooter game which was really fun for me... the game is for pc and I need to dig the dvd with the game but i'm not really sure where is it and what is the name since i'm not playing it for two years or so... the game is not really scary but it have enough elements to make you nervous while you play it. As soon  as I find dvd i will tell you the name of the game

edit:
i found it... the name is "Soldier Elite"
I also found "Art of Murder'... it may have what you look for but it's not really action kind of game

off topic: I also found "splinter cell blacklist" and i don't know why the hell i never tried it out

Much obliged and thanks for the help. Soldier Elite and Art of Murder seem like just kind of okay games. I could see myself playing them if they were free or, like, $2 on a Steam Sale or something. I've still got a bit of a backlog of games and, from what I've seen, they just might not be worth my time. Definitely interesting, though.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist strikes me less as the type of game I'm looking for and more like generic shooter #253. The overall aesthetics turn me off and while the gameplay might be interesting and deviate from what I'm thinking of, it's just not my cup of tea.

A game devoid of combat might actually be what I'm looking for, though.

If you're okay with shooters tht have some horror in them, doom 3 is scary not in the sense of like a normal game, it's scary that you're afraid of being snuck up on from behind and atacked. And also the dead space games are scary as sh*t and also provoke that fear of being attacked from behind or where you can't see. If you don't want horror at all, I don't suggest either because dead space is incredible gory and includes dismemberment and doom is about shooting demons so yeah that's about all I got for you :)

Doom is a series I've been meaning to get into for a while now, and it's definitely not what I'm looking for. Dead Space is a lot more intense than I'd like, and I probably would have tried it out by now if a friend of mine specifically said to not get the PC version of the game. I don't have an Xbox 360 or PS3, so most of my gaming is done on Nintendo systems or the computer -- or older game consoles, for that matter.

To reiterate, I'm not looking for a gory game full of jump scares. I've got no problem with blood and gore in my games and it doesn't freak me out. What I'm looking for is less a game that will scare me and more one that will make me feel uneasy or creep me out.

Basically, if what I was looking for was a .gif, it would be this .gif:

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »

Offline Vroku

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 36 / 5
    • View Profile
    • Typocalypse
  • Aussie!
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
If your looking for some nice scary games, I am pretty sure PewDiePie plays most of them. Stephen told me about this lucius game, idk how scary it is but it looks good on youtube.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
    • View Profile
  • the cowboy
thief is your game

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »

Offline Go10

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • You come here often?
Assuming you haven't played them already, you could try out the Dead Space series. I don't specifically remember any terribly frightening jump-scares, and the atmosphere was only moderately spooky. Great games over all. Another suggestion would be Outlast, though I do remember a couple jump-scares. It might be a little too scary for your liking, but I thought I would mention it. Some classics that you could try would be the Resident Evil or Silent Hill series.

On a side note, I also very much enjoyed the first Luigi's Mansion. To this day, it remains one of my favorite games of all time.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
You could try Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It's not a horror game as such, but it's got good atmosphere, and is one of the few RPGs that is actually capable of making you think "Holy crap, I might actually die in a random battle."

You can also go with Silent Hill, since it's full of weird s**t. Those games actually weird me out occasionally. :P

And, while it's not really a horror game, there's always Fallout 3 (especially if you've got some good mods).

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »

Offline Vroku

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • Typocalypse
  • Aussie!

This is what you want, its pretty fun too.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
If your looking for some nice scary games, I am pretty sure PewDiePie plays most of them. Stephen told me about this lucius game, idk how scary it is but it looks good on youtube.

I can't stand PewDiePie. Strikes me as a moron and his voice grates on my ears. Not a preferred Let's Player.

thief is your game

Man, this might be just a bit more intense than what I was looking for, but it's looking like a solid buy for me. Added to my Steam wishlist so I can pick it up during the next sale.

Assuming you haven't played them already, you could try out the Dead Space series. I don't specifically remember any terribly frightening jump-scares, and the atmosphere was only moderately spooky. Great games over all.

Already mentioned earlier, but thanks!

Another suggestion would be Outlast, though I do remember a couple jump-scares. It might be a little too scary for your liking, but I thought I would mention it.

I'm not seeing much stand-out about Outlast in particular, but I guess it might be worth looking into.

Some classics that you could try would be the Resident Evil or Silent Hill series.

I'm still iffy on whether or not I'm going to play Resident Evil titles in the near future, but the Silent Hill series is something that's been on my list for a while. I'm just having a bit of difficulty tracking down a copy of the first title, let alone for a reasonable price...

On a side note, I also very much enjoyed the first Luigi's Mansion. To this day, it remains one of my favorite games of all .  ;D

It really is a great game. I remember I had a bit of rekindled interest in it when I was looking into the games scored by Manaka Kataoka, and his signature song that he inserts into every title. He does a great job with the music in games he works on (part of the reason I've been playing more Animal Crossing lately is because I like listening to themes for each hour of the day) and the title track for it was really memorable. Just the right mood to it.

I've actually been trying to track down a copy of the game myself because I haven't played it in years now. A younger me must have traded it in to GameStop. Unfortunately, it seems to be retailing for somewhere around $40-60, and it's not the only game from the era that I'm having a lot of difficulty tracking down.

You could try Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It's not a horror game as such, but it's got good atmosphere, and is one of the few RPGs that is actually capable of making you think "Holy crap, I might actually die in a random battle."

I was actually going to pick up IV the other day while I was out shopping, but I didn't have an I.D. on me, so I couldn't purchase it at the time. I understand that there's no "order" to the games, so everywhere is a good jumping on point.

You can also go with Silent Hill, since it's full of weird s**t. Those games actually weird me out occasionally. :P

As a quick side note, I'm a sucker for surrealism in games that are otherwise straightforward like that.

And, while it's not really a horror game, there's always Fallout 3 (especially if you've got some good mods).

Not what I'm looking for, but I forgot to add it to my Steam cart this summer this summer. I'm actually still busy with a vanilla play-through of New Vegas at the moment. Games like that are always a huge time sinkhole...

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »

Offline Vroku

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • Typocalypse
  • Aussie!
I can't stand PewDiePie. Strikes me as a moron and his voice grates on my ears. Not a preferred Let's Player.

Interesting...So you hate PewDiePie because of his voice/moron, he donates quite a fair bit to charity.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 06:10:29 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Interesting...So you hate PewDiePie because of his voice/moron, he donates quite a fair bit to charity.

I don't enjoy watching his videos. It's good that give money to charity and all, but that doesn't mean that I'm obliged to sink hours and hours into watching them. Most of the Let's Players I'll watch on occasion aren't exactly making money off their work either, nor are... most of the people whose YouTube videos I watch.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
I don't enjoy watching his videos. It's good that give money to charity and all, but that doesn't mean that I'm obliged to sink hours and hours into watching them. Most of the Let's Players I'll watch on occasion aren't exactly making money off their work either, nor are... most of the people whose YouTube videos I watch.
Spoiler for Hidden:

Checkout this game http://vgperson.com/games/mermaidswamp.htm

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 1
    • View Profile

Try markiplier.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

I like the GameGrumps. :P
They're dumb... but they know they're dumb.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »

Offline Vroku

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
    • Typocalypse
  • Aussie!

So basically your not into the "Lets Play Videos", well I watch him from time to time and he can make a good laugh, that's why he has the most subs on youtube. Though I still don't see how you see him as a moron, he  is just doing his job, making youtube videos for people to enjoy. His success has caused others in this gaming category to make their own channel and start making videos such as lets play on their channel. Maybe the videos you watched where even from one of these people.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:25:24 PM by Vroku »

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
You call that a handheld Castlevania game?
Lemme show you how it's done:

Not only is Dracula X Chronicles epic on the PSP, but it includes the original Rondo of Blood (and I mean the good one, not the bastardized SNES port), the joke game Dracula Peke, AND the legendary Symphony of the Night (all with redone voice acting... or the Japanese voice track if you so desire).
I actually got it for $15 a few years ago in a K-Mart bargain bin. Good times.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Dawn of Sorrow isn't all that good. Aria of Sorrow was better than Dawn, and it wasn't even as good as Lament of Innocence (which was basically Devil May Cry with a whip).
The best of the DS Castlevania games is Portrait of Ruin, and even it can't touch Symphony (which by the way has come out on more consoles than just Sony systems, as was the original Rondo).

There's also that online Castlevania (I forget what it's called) game on the PS3/360, but I only played a demo (which I wouldn't suggest since the main component, online play, is absent from the demo for some stupid reason).

There's also an old PS1 RPG called Koudelka.
It's supposed to be very survival-horror like (which I'm a bit surprised by, since it's the prequel to the Shadow Hearts games, which were very humorous).

Also, on the PS1 were Parasite Eve, and Parasite Eve II. The Third Birthday came out on the PSP, but I can't vouch for it's quality.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
>.> My ass lol

Dawn had that annoying sealing mini-game that really added nothing to it.
Portrait had that cool character switching aspect, and gave you an AI partner as backup.

Plus, Portrait of Ruin is a sequel to the second best classic Castlevania.
Good old Bloodlines on the Genesis (which, no matter what anyone says, is a million times better than Super Castlevania IV).

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Oh! How could I forget this one!

This is a game I found for $10 at a pawn shop...
And I still hesitate to play through it sometimes, because it is just so unnerving.
None of it is supernatural or anything (there's a bit of sci-fi with one character), but you constantly wind up wondering if you just totally f**ked up something or not.

The game it's sort of a spiritual successor to, Indigo Prophecy, is also pretty good.
The same team also made Beyond Two Souls, but I can't vouch for it's quality.

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 02:47:39 AM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 1