• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • October 14, 2017, 12:13:57 PM
    :)) :))
  • October 14, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
    DBhORor
  • October 11, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
    [link]
  • October 11, 2017, 09:21:31 AM
    That moment when I should be studying but I try to get distracted by anything and come check the forums :v
  • October 11, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
    wut
  • October 11, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
    happyyy late birthday lukee
  • October 11, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
    happy belated
  • October 11, 2017, 02:15:37 AM
    Happy Birthday  :hype:
  • October 10, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
    Happy B.Day Luke  :hbd:
  • October 10, 2017, 02:44:58 AM
    :popo:
  • October 10, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
    :hbd: :hbd:
  • October 09, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
    :8000:
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:55 AM
    BoOoOOoO
  • October 09, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
    halllloooowweeeenn
  • October 09, 2017, 07:53:02 AM
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Ray Ray. [link] p.s: if you haven't seen the movie yet, go and do it. ofc you watch the first movie then the second one. it's actually nice^^
  • October 09, 2017, 07:51:34 AM
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
    ahh f*ck...forgot... [link]
  • October 08, 2017, 04:06:23 AM
    *sees spooky theme* ... ---> [youtube]Xvjnoagk6GU[/youtube]
  • October 08, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
    Dragon Ball Online Revelations: Spooky Edition
  • October 07, 2017, 05:35:01 AM
    It's Spoonbob
  • October 07, 2017, 04:46:13 AM
    who dat weirdo, monkey?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:51:22 PM
    with a lot of fantasy it is out [link]
  • October 06, 2017, 10:00:37 AM
    Is this game still not out?
  • October 06, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
  • October 04, 2017, 07:55:17 AM
    D=
  • October 04, 2017, 07:26:48 AM
    D:
  • October 04, 2017, 04:06:33 AM
    ;)
  • October 04, 2017, 02:03:01 AM
    :haaaah:
  • October 01, 2017, 05:15:37 AM
    :bruh:
  • October 01, 2017, 04:18:23 AM
    :holdit:

Topic: A Video Game Movie  (Read 2215 times)

A Video Game Movie
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
Whether or not you're aware of it, the transition from video game to film seems to be a pretty difficult task. In fact, the only film based vaguely on a video game that holds a particularly positive review on aggregate film review sites is Disney's Wreck it Ralph, not something based on a pre-existing franchise. Be it for one reason or another, video games seem to have a difficult time transitioning into film form, even though many modern games incorporate many aspects of film into them anyway.

I feel like the issue with having a good video game adaptation lies primarily in the lack of good direction in creating these sorts of films. It's obvious that films like Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros. were corny from the get-go and had absolutely no respect for the source material -- they hardly even resembled them. There have been a couple of good -- or at least fun -- animated films I"ve seen based on Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter, but there's never been a cinematic adaptation of a video game series I'm aware of that's much more than a novelty. I think that lies primarily in the lack of direction and planning in filming, combined with the fact that video game movies never seen to get off the ground in the first place.

If you were to create a video game film to break the mold and create a new form of adaptation for mainstream Hollywood, what series or title would you choose? How would you have the film pan out? How would you make it successful? Imagine you have full control over a project like this -- any game and any amount of money at your disposal. What would you do?

This idea popped into my head yesterday while starting my spring break Metal Gear Solid marathon a bit earlier than I expected. The long cut-scenes were jarring at first -- having to sit through five minutes before the title screen is odd when you've never played a game in the series before -- and I had a conversation with a friend about it, who referred to Metal Gear Solid as "one of the greatest film franchises of our generation", or something to that effect. Around six hours in and I'm really enjoying the cut-scenes, especially since I tend to appreciate those as a form of machinima (Google it if you need to) in addition to being part of the game.

That's when I started to think about it seriously: these games would actually make really good movies. Not just big summer blockbuster films either -- I honestly think the series would be best suited to being something of an art film, more in the style of Saving Private Ryan than G.I. Joe, but with a lot more emphasis on the surrealism found in some of the slightly earlier titles, as well as keeping the overarching criticism of the government very much intact. It has a strong, well-developed cast of characters, a fitting environment, and enough artistic motifs to cement it as a *ahem* solid potential film candidate.

I've had conversations about this before and I've mentioned to friends a few times that I'd probably want to make film based on the Metroid series, focusing on a sense of increasing isolation and *ahem again* alienation, as human members of the cast disappear partway into the film after a bit of background is set up for our protagonist, then everything takes place in an alien world, where the only sentient beings are Space Pirates. Environments would all be rendered in CGI ala Avatar and it would attempt to draw audiences in and help them feel the same sense of lonesomeness as the protagonist. In hindsight, I still don't think that's a bad idea, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. On the contrary, I feel like a Metal Gear Solid film with the aspects I mentioned would be easier to market to a mainstream public while still pleasing critics.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »

Offline Griffel

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 14
    • View Profile
  • Griffel > You
  • I am a: Wonder Majin
yea ill get to reading that never
Anything is Possible.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
There are a few good game movies.
Doom
The first and 4th Resident Evil movies.
The two Resident Evil anime films.
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
The 1st Mortal Kombat (which is funny, 'cuz the second is pretty much the worst).
Postal
and I'm pretty sure that Persona 3: Spring of Birth is gonna be pretty good.

The reason why most movies based on a game suck is because they either make it not in the least bit like the content it's based on, or because they just don't know how to make a movie.

It's the same thing with live-action adaptions of anime:
Ever heard of Dragon Ball Evolution?

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »

Offline Super Mel

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 5 / 1
    • View Profile
  • I like boobies
Tetris the motherfukin movie. BOOM.
Swift as the Crane, steady as the Turtle... I have attained a state like no other has... I am The Mantis... Tien, I wont fail you this time... And as my Soul Rages on, never forget who got you there... Raging Souls. Yeah but

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline Griffel

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 14
    • View Profile
  • Griffel > You
  • I am a: Wonder Majin
of all things unholy you could bring up why you choose to mention that shitfest
Anything is Possible.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

Because I figured you wanted to mention Shrek.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »

Offline Super Mel

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 5 / 1
    • View Profile
  • I like boobies
Hey at least he didn't say Avatar: The Last Airbender (M. Knight Shalamananasamasanaha)
Swift as the Crane, steady as the Turtle... I have attained a state like no other has... I am The Mantis... Tien, I wont fail you this time... And as my Soul Rages on, never forget who got you there... Raging Souls. Yeah but

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Hey at least he didn't say Avatar: The Last Airbender (M. Knight Shalamananasamasanaha)

Well, that was horrifying.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
yea ill get to reading that never

If you were to create a video game film to break the mold and create a new form of adaptation for mainstream Hollywood, what series or title would you choose? How would you have the film pan out? How would you make it successful? Imagine you have full control over a project like this -- any game and any amount of money at your disposal. What would you do?

All you need to do is skim, really. I intentionally separated the first three paragraphs -- where I ask the question -- because I anticipated this as my first response.

There are a few good game movies.
Doom
The first and 4th Resident Evil movies.
The two Resident Evil anime films.
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
The 1st Mortal Kombat (which is funny, 'cuz the second is pretty much the worst).
Postal
and I'm pretty sure that Persona 3: Spring of Birth is gonna be pretty good.

The reason why most movies based on a game suck is because they either make it not in the least bit like the content it's based on, or because they just don't know how to make a movie.

It's the same thing with live-action adaptions of anime:

I'm not talking about good an an individual subjective level -- I'm talking about "good" in terms of how the mass market and critics view it. I've definitely watched video game movies I've enjoyed -- I even mentioned them in my opening -- but they're ultimately a niche a not particularly well-received (not to mention not particularly profitable) on a broader scale. While Tomb Raider and Resident Evil films may make enough money to create sequels, they're still not major films. It's more like one of the zillion Friday the Thirteenth sequels.

Live-action adaptations of anime, I feel, often fall victim to two primary issues. The first is that many of the more internationally popular anime series -- the ones dubbed and syndicated on non-Japanese television -- would be difficult to have transition into film form in general. They're inherently ridiculous, and Hollywood tries to shy away from absurdity. It's why Batroc was kicking Captain America's shield in the recent movie instead of doing impossible gymnastics and jumping over his head every two seconds. And let's not forget that costume...

The same, probably by no coincidence, is true of American cartoons. The only American cartoon I'm aware of that has had a "successful" (commercially, not critically) success is Transformers -- and that's actually based on toys and the media for the toys started out as, well, comics. The same for G.I. Joe, another arguable case. G.I. Joe, at least, can actually not be too absurd depending on what part of the franchise it is. Transformers is... inherently ridiculous, to the extent that many fantasy elements are woven in with really soft science fiction (much of that is actually seen in the films -- they just attempt to disguise it as science while it's not presented as such in other incarnations of the series). People will just ignore that because the CGI is, well, incredible.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Ah. I think I see what you're getting at.

Still, if I were making a film, I'd try my best to keep it as close as possible to the source material.
You can still have some originality, but if you go to far, then the target audience (i.e., fans of the material) will ignore it.

A good example is the original 1978 Superman.

Not only did it do what the comics did and occasionally break the fourth wall, but it was something that could stand on it's own even without the licensing.

In the case of how it resembled the source material, the actors were carefully chosen to represent the character, particularly the title hero.

The sad truth is, as long as it appeals to the common person who knows nothing of the source material, Hollywood doesn't care. But ultimately, so many of these films are so bad that even the common movie-goers hate it.

Maybe they should try the over-the-top approach for something that's over-the-top, and dial it down for something that doesn't need it (*cough* Man of Steel *cough*)

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Assassin's Creed would be something I've love to see live action, on the big screen, because they've proven it's possible.

Which Assassin's Creed Linage for AC-II That was pretty awesome, i believe that was quite low budget too.
And they by the looks of things have an assassin's creed movie in the works.

the good thing about assassin's creed is, pretty much all of it is medieval, and well if they were to do a true adaption for the live screen, they would include the out of animus themes as well

which is why i'm quite hopefully on ubisoft releasing the assassin's creed movie, when they do, because i know they have one planned.

another game i'd love to see as a movie, not live action (for good reason)
would be ratchet and clank.

There would be alot to go wrong though, since platformers don't usually go well with adaptions.
But R&C have quite the universe setup, and i'd think it'd be awesome as hell.

i.e Ratchet and clank 1 would be the best, not any of the later ones, but you obviously wouldn't start from anything but one, unless it was a custom story..
But following the first game would be fantastic as it has

New beginnings, evil plots, betrayal, all that good stuff

Also, lastly, anything valve has made would be epic, especially half life or portal.
for obvious reasons.

Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
There was a live-action Assassin's Creed. I think they showed it on Sci-fi as a prequel to AC2.

Also, the cake is a lie.

Sorry, Sy-fy.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »
    • View Profile
ain't nobody got time for that much reading.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I read it.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »
    • View Profile
lol dude i just completed over 9000 math problems that you were suppose to do over the time you were reading, Nia.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
lol dude i just completed over 9000 math problems that you were suppose to do over the time you were reading, Nia.
I meant I read it earlier.
Also, I've been multi-tasking.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
There was a live-action Assassin's Creed. I think they showed it on Sci-fi as a prequel to AC2.

Also, the cake is a lie.

Sorry, Sy-fy.

I'm not entirely sure you actually read that, as i acknowledged the existence of the ACII Live Action Lineage.
Second line. fo real dudez
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I'm not entirely sure you actually read that, as i acknowledged the existence of the ACII Live Action Lineage.
Second line. fo real dudez
So you did. Pardon my speed reading habits. :P

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Ah. I think I see what you're getting at.

Still, if I were making a film, I'd try my best to keep it as close as possible to the source material.
You can still have some originality, but if you go to far, then the target audience (i.e., fans of the material) will ignore it.

The fans of the series are almost never the target audience. They're actually the periphery demographic -- companies like Marvel Studios just attempt to do their best to shut them up because they're pretty vocal, even if very, very few people actually buy comics compared to the millions who sat their butts in the theater for anything they release. The Mandarin in particular caused quite a stir, and that's largely among people who had never experienced the original character as presented in the comics.

Fans of the source material are never going to outnumber the casual movie-going audience. With video games, one could make the case that the audience is much, much larger than that of comics. A good comic book sale is generally around 100,000 copies of a single issue. For video games, you can occasionally break 10 million or more. Still, even with inflated ticket prices, they're not going to be the target audience. The target audience is people who have never heard of the series in question nine times out of ten. There are some exceptions -- arguably for novels in particular -- but on the whole? Movies are not for the fans.

A good example is the original 1978 Superman.

Not only did it do what the comics did and occasionally break the fourth wall, but it was something that could stand on it's own even without the licensing.

In the case of how it resembled the source material, the actors were carefully chosen to represent the character, particularly the title hero.

The sad truth is, as long as it appeals to the common person who knows nothing of the source material, Hollywood doesn't care. But ultimately, so many of these films are so bad that even the common movie-goers hate it.

Maybe they should try the over-the-top approach for something that's over-the-top, and dial it down for something that doesn't need it (*cough* Man of Steel *cough*)

I really, really hate to be the person to say this, because I hated Man of Steel and actually couldn't sit through it, but the Christopher Reeve Superman films do take quite a bit of liberty with the source material. As someone who's read their fair share of comics from that era, Superman ones included, the Man of Tomorrow was kind of an ass. He was a much more upbeat and earnest character in the films. Man of Steel isn't an accurate portrayal of that Superman either because he was never... uh, emotionless, but he certainly was a neck-breaker during his introduction. That wasn't the case in 1978, but that was because the Comics Code Authority said you couldn't really kill people in the 1950s. The scars from those days still run deep and it's part of why many superheroes used to have a no-kill policy, not to mention why the industry is stuck in a rut and two-thirds of all comics published are about capes anyway. The only major character who follows it strictly these days is Batman, and that's because he's crazy anyway. The Superman created by Jerry Siegal and Joe Shuster was the kind of guy who'd threaten to drop you from the air if you didn't comply with him. No, seriously, he does that in Action Comics #1 if my memory isn't faulty.

That said, it totally was a Superman movie for Superman fans -- it's arguably more of one today because the modern interpretation of Superman is closer to the film incarnation. That kind of doubling back happens quite a bit to superhero comics.

You know, if you -- or anyone else -- intend to just comment about the length of my posts, then please don't post at all. It's pretty much spam and adds nothing to the discussion. If you really, really need to complain to me about this, then send me a private message, but for the love of whatever you consider holy, keep useless comments out of a thread where people are actually discussing something.

A Video Game Movie
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Ugh... Man of Steel. It was like a filler episode. A filler episode of Dragon Ball GT at that.
No plot, and boring action scenes. Plus, the Kryptonians toss each other through buildings with the effective explosive crunch of a water balloon.

As much as I dislike GT, I'd rather watch it, because every so often you could see a glimpse of what made Dragon Ball great, but Man of Steel had absolutely nothing to do with Superman.

Of course, I may have gotten off topic a little bit. And Kiyza makes some good honest points. I've got respect for that.

Now I'm just gonna cross my fingers that Spring of Birth is a worthy adaption of Persona 3.