• Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Today at 03:09:39 AM
    Planet of the Great Apes
  • Today at 01:59:29 AM
    high hopes for that movie xD
  • Today at 01:59:23 AM
    :smugdbo: [link]
  • Yesterday at 04:24:05 AM
    "....grenades going off in your face" is a metaphor for "...if players go mad over bugs and problems" etc.... xD
  • Yesterday at 04:21:29 AM
    dumke gonna ask him questions like the instructor here...and the dude gonna answer like the new dude xD [link]
  • December 15, 2017, 10:25:51 AM
    interestinngg,  a new recruit
  • December 15, 2017, 01:05:20 AM
    Pm Me.
  • December 14, 2017, 07:18:56 AM
    i have a lot free time can work like 12h Day in code
  • December 14, 2017, 07:16:29 AM
    if you want See my progress [link]
  • December 14, 2017, 07:15:10 AM
    Dumke i am marcomurta from Ragzone i have some progress i am working with old akcore people we are intressed in Join in your Team
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing

Topic: Shadow the Hedgehog MOVIE!  (Read 1879 times)

Shadow the Hedgehog MOVIE!
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:25:38 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:02:55 PM by Luke[Dumke] »
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

Sonic MOVIE!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:12:24 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Er...okay? lol

Sonic MOVIE!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »

Offline SSGokug

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • The only Kirito x Sinon shipper on the forums
Im waiting for a "YOU GOT THIS SONIC" line in this movie

Sonic MOVIE!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:24:49 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Legacy!
  • I am a: Crane Hermit
itll probably have that gotta go fast plot

Sonic MOVIE!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
I actually can't wait for some sort of trailer.

Sonic MOVIE!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 07:05:30 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class
  • I am a: Mech Maniac
I actually can't wait for some sort of trailer.

I'm waiting for the Trailer too!!! xDDD

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GOTTA GO FAST!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:12:23 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
Uh...okay...again.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Legacy!
  • I am a: Crane Hermit
that plot changed very quickly in a very short space in time. looks like they are sticking to the GOTTA GO FAST theme lol

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:02 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
oh.
http://www.p4rgaming.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-changes-to-shadow-the-hedgehog-to-appeal-to-an-older-audience/

But that's a problem. No one above the age of 14 who enjoy the franchise -- which the original players of Sonic the Hedgehog surely are by now -- wants a "dark and edgy" Sonic movie, and would probably vomit at the notion of it starring Shadow. The character is infamous in the fandom for, well, essentially being a Mary Sue, and that's never a phrase I use lightly. He's a edgier version of Sonic that tries to be "cool" and doesn't understand what cool is, he heroically sacrifices himself... only to come back later with no repercussions, and he's a recolor of the main character. Pretty much a textbook Mary Sue-type.

A light-hearted, animated movie about Sonic the Hedgehog might not have been a bad idea, since the series does happen to lend itself to that. It's a silly game series about talking animals that run really fast. The main villain is a caricature of Theodore Roosevelt and he makes funny-looking robots and enslaves fuzzy forest creatures. It's not serious. At all.

Sega has recently been trying their best to get Sonic the Hedgehog back on track and they're doing well. They've had a few good games since Sonic Colors, writer Ken Penders has been pulled out of the Archie comics (just... Google him, he's crazy), and there's more emphasis in recent titles on getting that fun feeling back in the games. A Shadow movie would essentially be regressing nearly a decade back to when the series was trying to be "edgy" -- which ultimately led to a lack of faith from longtime fans and why I stopped buying Sonic games, despite playing literally all of the classic titles as a child. If this happens, Sonic will have taken a step in the right direction and two steps back.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
I want it.

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »

Offline Booty

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 0
    • View Profile
  • The rumored Plasma Troll
  • I am a: Majin
Dark and edgy, did they really wrote it just like that? So "sonic boom" is the cartoon for kids and they want the movie to be what, like sonic adventure 2? I don't get it
My beloved char kudos to Illusion! http://goo.gl/oN7iEW

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Dark and edgy, did they really wrote it just like that? So "sonic boom" is the cartoon for kids and they want the movie to be what, like sonic adventure 2? I don't get it

I literally just broke out Sonic Adventure 2 today to play and while I'll admit it's a bit more heavy than previous titles, it's not really "dark and edgy". There's a difference between "edginess" and having a title that's just a pinch more mature than its predecessors. The game takes place in a militarized semi-realistic world... full of animal people. It's still pretty energetic and entertaining -- the only thing edgy in it is, well, Shadow.

The Shadow the Hedgehog's self-titled game was the first entry in the series I'd honestly say was "edgy". While the Sonic Adventure titles were a bit more realistic, they were also largely light-hearted at their crux, creating a bizarre atmosphere that fused the realistic with the unrealistic. Shadow the Hedgehog was just dark for the sake of being dark, even going so far as to have the main character utter a mild curse ("Damn!") when he lost a life. The atmosphere is foreboding and drab. While there were a few levels that were more aesthetically intimidating in Sonic Adventure 2, they were also contrasted with environments that were much more inviting.

To be honest, if an animated film were done in the style of the Sonic Adventure games -- a realistic world that just happened to be populated by cartoon animals -- I think that would be pretty interesting, provided it's not, well, dark. I feel like the emphasis on that has been slowly sucking the life out of the series for years. Sonic is not serious and it shouldn't be.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
Shadow the hedgehog game was one of my favorite games.

so i'm quite excited for the movie.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »

Offline davyjonesx

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 29 / 5
    • View Profile
Always liked Shadow more.

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:31:08 AM »

Offline Booty

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 8 / 0
    • View Profile
  • The rumored Plasma Troll
Its a shame I played shadow game in the ps2  :'(
My beloved char kudos to Illusion! http://goo.gl/oN7iEW

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 04:11:03 AM »

Offline SSGokug

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/04/sonic-the-hedgehog-film-script-leaked/ it could be an april fools joke it could be real
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:13:05 AM by SSGokug »

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/04/sonic-the-hedgehog-film-script-leaked/ it could be an april fools joke it could be real

I think it's safe to assume that this is fake. The shortlist of directors heavily implies that this is going to be a CGI animated film, so there's no need for "realism" in the story.

Anyway, I've actually talked with a couple of friends about this and I'll admit, though I had a knee-jerk reaction when I heard about this, it was probably because "dark and edgy" is a buzz phrase that always gives me that feeling. That said, I can't find any other sources that cite the film being changed to a Shadow film, and it's unlikely that they'd do that, considering the amount of marketing power that the name "Sonic the Hedgehog" has by comparison.

That said, I've been going back and playing a lot of older titles for Sonic lately since I've got a bit of rekindled interest in the franchise thanks to discussion with friends. And by a lot, I mean every main series game up to and including Sonic Adventure 2. I've been taking mental notes as I go along and I've realized man, even though Sonic is pretty light-hearted today, it's really regressed. The Adventure titles were both pretty dark by comparison, both in terms of their themes and presentation. I think a tone similar to that would actually work well for a Sonic movie, even though Sega hasn't been able to put out a title since then that replicates their narrative strengths.

I'm going to go off on a bit of a rant here about what I think would make a good Sonic movie, but for your convenience, it will be in a nice ordered list form and spoilered.

Spoiler for How to Make a Sonic Movie That Won't Suck:
1. Attempt to stay true to and respect the source material. This is the main reason why a lot of adaptations have been successful while others have fallen by the wayside. A lot of the more successful adaptations -- like the Harry Potter franchise and the Marvel Studios films, two of the most successful film franchises ever -- have been successful because they appealed to both the long-time audience for either franchise and invited new people in. The Marvel films are a better example because while not a single story arc has been directly adapted, (the closest we'll probably get is a loose Infinity Gauntlet retelling in the inevitable Avengers 3, though the origins have been quite close) it stays true to the characters' personalities, universe, and tone.

2. When I say "source material", I mean the games. This needs to be stressed because Sonic has a lot of different canons, but most outside of the games are relatively obscure. The cartoon and comic adaptations are very polarizing and the majority of the target audience (kids maybe 8-12 years old) these days won't even be familiar with them. I mean, hell, I'm a legal adult now and I had never even heard of the Saturday morning Sonic cartoon until I went online. Earth is an acceptable setting. You can put talking animals in a world of people who are mostly human and normal people probably won't question it too much.

3. Don't make things up that aren't necessary. Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't have much in the way of world-building outside of its various comic and cartoon adaptations. Most of the characters don't have well-defined backgrounds, with notable exceptions being Eggman, Shadow, Knuckles, and arguably Blaze. Do not make up things about how Sonic the Hedgehog came to be. This has been addressed by Sega of America on multiple occasions and all of the explanations they have come up with (which have never been incorporated into the games) are literally worse than really old comic book origin stories -- this coming from someone who has read a lot of them. It's okay to have a world inhabited by anthropomorphic animals, honestly.

4. Pseudo-realism is for shmucks. We're in a day and age where no one cares about the supposed "realism" in blockbuster films outside of maybe Dark Knight Batman fans. Since this will almost certainly be an animated film, you pretty much have free reign over everything. You can get away with a lot through animation that would never work in live action. Also, just so we're clear, it's actually possible for "Ivo Robotnik" to be someone's real-world name. Not that there's any reason Eggman doesn't work, I'm just saying.

5. People who grew up with Sonic games are surprisingly old. Sonic is pretty old in video game years, considering the medium has only been around so long. People who played the original Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991 when they were ten? They might have kids right now who they'd take to the movie theater with them. Appealing to those older fans can be a bit difficult because they're so divergent, but it does help to appeal to the nature of the old games themselves. It might actually help to cut the cast down to Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, and possibly Amy, since they've been the core characters since the end of the Genesis titles and really have been the ones who have carried the series thus far.

6. Critics like rhetorical purpose and reviews really do get butts in seats. I'll be honest, I'm one of those people who checks the Tomatometer before seeing most films and I regret nothing. Older people also go to see films like this, so having a bit more substance than most Sonic media does not hurt. Since the first game on the Genesis, there has been a very intentional subtext of technology Vs nature, which was probably highlighted the best in Sonic CD, which focuses on the horrible ways Eggman will pollute the world if he takes it over. While that may sound preachy, remember than Wall-E did this quite well and was successful with it. Just don't cram it down someone's throat and you're good. Also, hint hint, this means that Brad Bird would probably be the best pick in terms of director.

7. Sonic is not a compelling character. There, I said it. Sonic is a boring character. We know very little about his background and his character never truly develops or changes. While his disposition makes him appealing to kids, older audiences would be more likely to gravitate toward characters they can better relate to. Most of the rest of the cast actually has a fair bit of character evolution if you bother to pay attention to these things. Sonic is largely a character carried by his colorful supporting cast and I doubt he'd be so successful without them. In particular, since Eggman's a shoe-in for the main villain, establishing his background -- which is surprisingly fleshed out for the series in general -- would be a great way to set up his characterization.

8. Make the soundtrack great in case the movie sucks. This has worked for the Sonic franchise for years now. Even the shittiest games had great soundtracks. Give it some sort of redeeming quality even if it's a bad film.

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »

Offline Nero

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Conductor of the Hype Train
Shadow the Hedgehog was my favorite game, and while I do see your point, not a lot of kids play sonic as avidly as some of us did in the past. A light-hearted Sonic movie wouldn't fare well with kids and I'm afraid not as many adults/teens will want to see a light-hearted film. I honestly think both ways end with some cons, and I'd rather Sega just stick to making games.

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 77 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Well, it depends on what "dark and edgy" really means. A lot of people consider SatAm to be dark and edgy, despite the relatively upbeat vibe.

Maybe they should try bringing that back, since that was actually a good series, and fans have been waiting for it for twenty freakin' years.

I bought the complete series box set on day 1. Loved every supersonic second of it.

But the movie is BS since Sonic Boom is coming out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:18:05 PM by Nia »

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 01:42:05 AM »

Offline SSGokug

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 01:48:47 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
The edge was missing in that article.

ok.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 01:55:14 AM »

Offline SSGokug

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Not sure how i feel about a sonic movie though

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 02:15:54 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
A the risk of my own sanity... I really like the idea of this being a CGI/live-action hybrid. It only seems odd until you remember that Sonic games have always had unusually realistic humans in conjunction with the cartoony animals. The biggest issue, if you ask me, is the notion of making a movie every year. That will probably burn them out pretty quickly if you're not careful and it'll result in constant heavy production. If they want this to actually last, they should consider bi-yearly. Also, before making multi-film plans, it helps to actually, you know, test the waters to see if this will work in the first place.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 02:28:32 AM »

Offline SSGokug

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
If its based off of boom oh dear