[November 18, 2017, 09:47:57 AM]

Anyone from Canada? by Yuhao
[November 09, 2017, 03:10:56 PM]

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • December 12, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
    Luke[Dumke] i want help us with the Dev where we can Talk?
  • December 12, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
    Hello Guys
  • December 12, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
    :barduck:
  • December 10, 2017, 08:38:32 AM
    :uwot:
  • December 06, 2017, 02:30:56 PM
    :aussie:
  • December 06, 2017, 11:53:15 AM
    >:(
  • December 05, 2017, 09:28:21 AM
    me --> [link]
  • December 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
    you get 19+1+14+20+1 = 55 = 5x5 =25. Now mirror the number 25 and you get 52 = 5-2 = Illuminati pyramid has 3 sides. Santa = Illuminati confirmed!
  • December 05, 2017, 09:25:08 AM
    Santa...in the alphabet the S is the 19th letter. And if you break down the word santa like that with the rest of the letter
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
    :aussie:
  • December 05, 2017, 05:48:16 AM
    Nononono. The Aussie Santa is Dumke
  • December 05, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
    :))
  • December 05, 2017, 02:43:26 AM
    oi oi oi im the australian santa oi oi oi
  • December 04, 2017, 06:14:29 PM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 12:18:55 PM
    WINTER IS HERE!
  • December 02, 2017, 09:51:20 AM
    [link]
  • December 02, 2017, 03:38:09 AM
    Lookin' good
  • December 01, 2017, 04:38:29 AM
    [link]
  • November 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM
    :grin:
  • November 28, 2017, 01:51:09 AM
    Well that's friggin depressing
  • November 28, 2017, 12:30:05 AM
    D:
  • November 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM
    ecsdee
  • November 25, 2017, 03:16:03 PM
    :crydbo:
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:38 AM
    :'(
  • November 25, 2017, 05:18:32 AM
    me: [link]  [link]
  • November 25, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
    I only wait for dbor :(
  • November 25, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
    :-\
  • November 24, 2017, 06:24:44 AM
    [link]
  • November 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM
    :'(
  • November 17, 2017, 10:06:30 PM
    R.I.P Bulma...[link]

Topic: Best DS & 3DS RPG's  (Read 2727 times)

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:55:05 AM »

Offline Zellion

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
What is your opinion on the best RPG's (exluding Poke'mon)?

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 03:09:13 AM »

Offline Madow

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 1 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Vice-Leader of PW
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
dragon quest

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:36 AM »

Offline Cheick

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Figther-class super saiyan
for ds its has pokemon, inazuma eleven, one piece and the best MARIO

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:20:44 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
What is your opinion on the best RPG's (exluding Poke'mon)?

Pokémon excluded, the best for the 3DS I've played is Fire Emblem: Awakening. Monster Hunter is good too.

DS RPGs? My favorite of the system (excluding Black/White) was Dragon Quest IX. The DS remake of Chrono Trigger is also great, especially if you haven't played other versions. The World Ends With You is a great, really original title. The Mario & Luigi titles are excellent, as is Golden Sun.

I think the DS might have been the best system to date for Japanese-style RPGs since menus were easily operated by the touch screen and it was easy to have both sprites and 3D models. It lended itself to a lot of good titles, but those are my top picks if you just bought a 3DS. Outside of that, I'd say the best genre the DS lent itself to was visual novels.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:29:47 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Legacy!
  • I am a: Crane Hermit
LostMagic is an awesome game, though i suppose it would fit more for a turn based strategy than RPG. if your looking RPG look into dragon quest, i think there were some final fantasy games also released for the ds

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:58:32 AM »

Offline FlipLSSJ

• 1 Dragonball
    • View Profile
  • Low-Class
Project X Zone, Zelda Between Worlds, Tales of the Abyss and Bravely Default.
"Cool to the point of being ruthless."

- Vergil, my little demon -

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:01:37 AM »

Offline Cheick

• 3 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Figther-class super saiyan
sorry i forgot zelda ocarina of time, kid icarus

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 04:46:11 AM »
    • View Profile
  • One does not simply wait for a Dragonball Z MMO
Best DS Rpg?I can't choose between the two,but The World Ends With You and Dragonquest lX Sentinels of the Starry  Skies.Best 3DS Rpg?Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
No love for Kingdom Hearts?

...okay I'll admit the DS ones weren't that good, but Dream Drop Distance? That thing was the shit.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 06:28:56 AM »
    • View Profile
2 Words Chrono Trigger.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 07:02:40 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
For me its Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
for DS?

On the contrary, the touch screen generally makes it easier to take advantage of the fast-paced combat system and the translation is substantially more accurate, despite what nostalgic fans may say. To be honest, I feel like most JRPGs have serious problems in the translation. With a game like Chrono Trigger -- which delves into some surprisingly heavy themes for a game that old -- accuracy should be more than appreciated. Combine that with the short anime cinematics, a sound test feature, and a gallery full of Toriyama's concept art and I think it's clearly the definitive version of the game.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 01:51:15 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Never been fond of the NDS at all really, personally, it's not my type of hand held. (I even opted to play chrono trigger on my psp, rather then play it on the ds)
I've never had an issue with the actual translations/language in chrono trigger, it's always been quite awesome. through out the countless times i've played it.
regardless of what ever "additions" the ds verisons have, it doesn't really at all improve the experience.

all that is added is i think more endings and the dream eater? which i didn't like.

Sure it's fantastic for nostalgia, but it's overall, one of the greatest RPG's i've ever played.

Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 06:35:25 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Never been fond of the NDS at all really, personally, it's not my type of hand held. (I even opted to play chrono trigger on my psp, rather then play it on the ds)
I've never had an issue with the actual translations/language in chrono trigger, it's always been quite awesome. through out the countless times i've played it.
regardless of what ever "additions" the ds verisons have, it doesn't really at all improve the experience.

all that is added is i think more endings and the dream eater? which i didn't like.

Sure it's fantastic for nostalgia, but it's overall, one of the greatest RPG's i've ever played.

And improved translation is certainly an improved experience if you ask me, though people blinded by nostalgia could certainly argue otherwise. Chrono Trigger, as I've realized replaying it, is a surprisingly complex game for its day and age -- the only thing I can think of from the era with a comparably enticing narrative is Tales of Phantasia, which never saw a stateside release back then, though I'm sure there are a few other gems. Chrono Trigger is one of the earliest games I've played that actually bothers to delve into the human condition, tackling issues like women's role in society, social and economic classes, religion, and bucketloads of racism, all thinly-veiled behind a colorful, engaging story. With an improper translation, these sorts of things would easily be lost to the ages.

All said and done, the game's original "translation" was done by the infamous Ted Woolsey, butcher of a thousand words and exorcist of lines. I'm not someone who believes that every video game has to be perfectly accurate to the original -- there are a lot of words and phrases in Japanese especially that can't translate well to English -- but it's pretty clear that Woolsey just didn't care most of the time. Even though it doesn't totally wreck Chrono Trigger, it does botch some characters -- Magus, for instance, is a more... playful (in a sadistic manner, mainly) sort of character than in the original, which makes sense since he never really had a childhood. Frog is also not particularly formal, suiting his upbringing. It's not as crippling as, heaven forbid, Earthbound/Mother-2, which omits certain themes in the game through its botched translation. Chrono Trigger may not be the Bible, (or is it?) but the new translation is the main factor that makes the DS version of the game the definitive one.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
but the new translation is the main factor that makes the DS version of the game the definitive one for english speakers.
Fixed that for you.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Fixed that for you.

I'd argue it's a fair bit more "complete" for other non-English speakers. Even if you live in Japan, I've already mentioned the game's nice additions, in addition to the ability to play on the go. Without the new translation, everything remains intact, though there's a pinch of new gameplay content added, like the addition of a thirteenth ending that's vital if you link the game to Chrono Cross. It's not an extensive overhaul, like what the Pokemon games tend to receive with remakes, but it's an excellent port nonetheless.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:03 AM »

Offline Vroku

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 36 / 5
    • View Profile
    • Typocalypse
  • Aussie!
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Pokemon X and Y is amazing :)

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
DragonQuest 9 anyone? I love that game :D
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »

Offline Steady

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Boredom Enthusiast
The DS has a really impressive library of RPGs. Picking is kinda hard, there are some I've yet to play that seem really good too.

If you're looking for a traditional one, I'd go for Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, or even Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.
If you're looking for interesting mechanics you might wanna try out that Sonic one, I don't think a lot of people liked it but, I thought it was pretty neat.

Strategy RPG wise, your best bet is either Disgaea DS or one of the Advance Wars games. There's a Bleach one too that's not bad, I liked it but it might have been nostalgia over when I actually liked the series. If you like Bleach though it's pretty good and it's pretty similar to Fire Emblem.

Rougelikes, I can highly recommend  Izuna Legend of the Unemployed Ninja. It's sequel is even better and the story from the first one isn't terribly important to enjoy it but it adds a boost. There's a decent bit of characters to use in the second one. The Etrian Odyssey games are pretty great too but you have to draw your own maps in it. I thought it was a really cool and unique mechanic but I could see it boring a lot of people.

Of course there's the Pokemon games too, HGSS were my favorites as your Pokemon can follow you around, the minigame is fun this time, and Gold is special to me. Of course if you really like Pokemon the Mystery Dungeons are pretty good roguelikes. While Explorers of Sky is probably the best one, I prefer Blue Rescue Team.

After thinking for a bit I'm not really sure if the Etrian Odyssey games should even be considered roguelikes but the dungeon layout makes me associate it with the sub-genre pretty heavily. They're kinda odd. Unique and interesting if you don't mind cartography.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:14:19 PM by Steady, Reason: extended thoughts »
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
The DS has a really impressive library of RPGs. Picking is kinda hard, there are some I've yet to play that seem really good too.

If you're looking for a traditional one, I'd go for Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, or even Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.
If you're looking for interesting mechanics you might wanna try out that Sonic one, I don't think a lot of people liked it but, I thought it was pretty neat.

Strategy RPG wise, your best bet is either Disgaea DS or one of the Advance Wars games. There's a Bleach one too that's not bad, I liked it but it might have been nostalgia over when I actually liked the series. If you like Bleach though it's pretty good and it's pretty similar to Fire Emblem.

Rougelikes, I can highly recommend  Izuna Legend of the Unemployed Ninja. It's sequel is even better and the story from the first one isn't terribly important to enjoy it but it adds a boost. There's a decent bit of characters to use in the second one. The Etrian Odyssey games are pretty great too but you have to draw your own maps in it. I thought it was a really cool and unique mechanic but I could see it boring a lot of people.

Of course there's the Pokemon games too, HGSS were my favorites as your Pokemon can follow you around, the minigame is fun this time, and Gold is special to me. Of course if you really like Pokemon the Mystery Dungeons are pretty good roguelikes. While Explorers of Sky is probably the best one, I prefer Blue Rescue Team.

After thinking for a bit I'm not really sure if the Etrian Odyssey games should even be considered roguelikes but the dungeon layout makes me associate it with the sub-genre pretty heavily. They're kinda odd. Unique and interesting if you don't mind cartography.

Damn I agree with all of this. Though classic games like Chrono trigger should honestly be left playing on the SNES. There's just something about it that needs it to be played on the SNES.

And isn't Etrian Odyssey hard as hell?
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »

Offline Steady

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Boredom Enthusiast
There's just something about it that needs it to be played on the SNES.

And isn't Etrian Odyssey hard as hell?
I'd agree with you, but the SNES carts are way too pricey to be worth it. Plus I can actually fit my name in the DS release.

And yes Etrian Odyssey is indeed damn difficult.
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 07:52:53 AM »
    • View Profile
    • Descendents official site
  • Don't underestimate a Turtle Hermit!
Bravely Default is hands down my favorite RPG on the 3DS. The other RPG's like Kingdom Hearts 3D, Fire Emblem,... are great too, but I like that classic JRPG combat system. Square Enix stopped using it and I was really glad they brought it back. I also love all the characters and the story too, even though some don't think it's that special. The protagonists are all so loveable and funny in their own unique way. The game is also pretty difficult too. :)

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »

Offline Saiyaman

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 10 / 0
    • View Profile
  • The Great Saiyaman
DS
Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, IX, Monsters:Joker
Fire Emblem New Mystery (FE12)
Etrian Odyssey I, II, III
Radiant Historia
FFCC: Ring of Fate, Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
Soma Bringer
SMT: Strange Journey
SMT: Devil Survivor 1 and 2
Rune Factory 1, 2, 3
The World Ends With You
Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow
Chrono-Trigger
Infinite Space
Disgaea
Knights in the Nightmare
Luminous Arc 1, 2, 3
Phantasy Star 0
World Destruction / Sands of Destruction
Suikoden Tierkreis
Tales of Innocence
Tales of Hearts

3DS
Dragon Quest VII
Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey IV, Untold
Final Fantasy Explorers
Bravely Default
Persona Q
SMT:IV
SMT:Devil Survivor Overclocked, Break Record
SMT: Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Rune Factory 4
Youkai Watch 1, 2
Beyond the Labyrinth
Monster Hunter 3U, 4U
Tales of the Abyss

Obviously missing a number of them but its a start.

Best DS & 3DS RPG's
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 04:11:47 AM »

Offline Zellion

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 11 / 0
    • View Profile
I deleted my old character and restarted a new character on DQ9. Didn't realise until today they got rid of the Nintendo wifi... When did this happen????

No more DQVC  :-[ :'(