Iamsofunny
  • May 27, 2017, 09:55:47 PM
    Heh... Get it?
  • May 27, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
    Summer in Germany is not cool...
  • May 27, 2017, 09:35:52 PM
    :r_flame:
  • May 27, 2017, 09:32:04 PM
    it's so hot where i live...i might die before i see dbor release. I f*cking hate summer in Germany! :superangry: :r_flame: :vomit: :bruh: :yamcha:
  • May 27, 2017, 03:44:21 AM
    PROST!!!
  • May 24, 2017, 08:09:46 AM
    :juggs:
  • May 23, 2017, 12:48:14 AM
    OMG Luffy.... YOU ARE SO CORRECT ON THAT. 1st gen was the best.
  • May 22, 2017, 09:00:57 AM
    yea man, digimon was nice...especially Gen 1  :derp:
  • May 22, 2017, 05:03:50 AM
    XY were crap in comparison to Sun and Moon. Gen 7 was much more enjoyable to play, and longer too
  • May 22, 2017, 04:38:54 AM
    As for Pokemon. I did like X before I lost it. Though I'm not the biggest poke fan. The games are fun
  • May 22, 2017, 04:38:20 AM
    I was looking at Monster Hunter, the DLC always looks cool. The game looks complicated though
  • May 21, 2017, 10:36:38 PM
    Monster hunter
  • May 21, 2017, 12:39:08 PM
    How many time dumkyyyy i wanna help you
  • May 21, 2017, 07:53:24 AM
    Go with Pokemon Sun/Moon. :)
  • May 21, 2017, 04:01:23 AM
    :holdit: Dumke...gimme the DBOR
  • May 20, 2017, 11:31:11 PM
    gmes relased mid 2016 onwards. .. preferably ones people still play online
  • May 20, 2017, 10:10:47 PM
    Define new ones.
  • May 20, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
    Greetings
  • May 20, 2017, 03:22:32 PM
    Hello
  • May 20, 2017, 08:44:05 AM
    Also, anyone got any game recomendations for 3ds? Preferably new ones.
  • May 20, 2017, 08:43:26 AM
    Darn it! I wanted people to EX fuse with..
  • May 20, 2017, 08:10:18 AM
    DUMKYYYYYYYY

Topic: Fictional Character Tier List  (Read 2559 times)

Fictional Character Tier List
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:03:06 AM »
    • View Profile
Hey everyone! Just letting you guys know that this is a collaboration, if you think someone should be higher or up on the list, leave a message with an explanation why. Thanks!

For the uninformed, a tier list is a way to measure a group of characters power, mainly used in games like Super Smash Bros, Street Fighter, etc. But this tier list will go beyond that, and will be available to any fictional character. Remember, like all tier lists, this is subject to change.

Let's get started:

SS-Tier:Reality Warpers/Cosmic Entities

Beings who have an unlimited amount of power. They have the ability to manipulate reality as they see fit. They have power beyond human comprehension, so much though that if challenged, can not theoretically lose.

TL;DR: Franklin Richards, David Haller, Mad Jim Jaspers, Mother, The Spectre, Cthulu

-(Marvel) Franklin Richards: Franklin is an omega-level mutant of the highest caliber. He has reality-manipulating powers, as well as having psychic abilities. Once Franklin grows up and understands his true power, he could become akin to a god.

-(Marvel) David Haller: David is also an omega-level mutant, with hundreds of ability, from time manipulation, to extreme amouns of strength, he too has a vast arsenal of power. The only catch his for each ability, he must change his personality, thus giving him hundreds, with more being born.

-(Marvel) Mad Jim Jaspers: Yet another reality warper, this time to such an extent that he is able to manipulate the universe to the point of it being unrecognizable. The entire Jim Jaspers timeline had to be shutdown due to it.

-(Spawn) Mother: Mother is creator of everything in the Spawn universe. She cannot be harmed, and can erase the universe from existence. She has such power that not even her creations, God and Satan come remotely close to her strength.

-(DC) Spectre: Spectre is the physical embodiment of God's vengeance on Earth. Spectre uses incredibly divine powers to punish the wicked in creative, yet ironic ways. Spectre can also be seen bending the fabric of space and time.

-(H.P Lovecraft) Cthulu: Cthulu is one of several alien deities that have cosmic powers. He is known for his several traits, such as immortality, immense size, reality warping abilities etc. The reason Cthulu is on this list rather then his other brethren is because Cthulu is more of a creature, rather then a power/force.

S-Tier: Godlike Beings

Beings who cannot be defeated through conventional means. The characters up here have enough power destroy almost anyone who is brave enough to challenge them. However, through the right circumstances, they can be brought down.

TL;DR: Thanos, Galactus, Darkseid, Doomsday,

-(Marvel) Thanos: Thanos is one of the strongest in the Marvel universe, hands down. Even without the Infinity Gauntlet, a weapon so powerful, it has the ability to alter time and space, Thanos still has insane amounts of strength, speed, and endurance.

-(Marvel) Galactus: Galactus earned the title, devourer of worlds. He goes around the galaxy, and literally consumes planets for his own pleasure. He has obtained power beyond measurement, with the ability to reconstruct molecules. Galactus has been defeated, however.

-(DC) Darkseid: When it comes to villains, nobody is bigger and better then Darkseid. This is the man who can take on the Justice League, yes, including Superman, all at once, and still whoop them. Some of his abilities include teleportation, invulnerability, and genius-level intellect.

-(DC) Doomsday: Yes, this is the creature that killed Superman. An impressive feat, considering the Doomsday that fought Superman was only a god-damned larva. A full grown Doomsday can pack some serious damage, going well with his super-speed, healing factor, and beyond superman strength. An adult also produces a radiation so vile, it's enough to harm Superman.

WORK IN PROGRESS.

(Additional Tiers,
A - Gods Among Mortals
B - Pinnacle of Mortals
C - Superhuman
D - Powerful Mortals
E - Notable Mortals)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:20:37 PM by TheSolidSnakeX, Reason: kek update »

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:52:07 AM »

Offline Tech Sheep

• 2 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 3 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Kind of just there
  • I am a: Martial Artist
Hey everyone! Just letting you guys know that this is a collaboration, if you think someone should be higher or up on the list, leave a message with an explanation why. Thanks!

For the uninformed, a tier list is a way to measure a group of characters power, mainly used in games like Super Smash Bros, Street Fighter, etc. But this tier list will go beyond that, and will be available to any fictional character. Remember, like all tier lists, this is subject to change.

Let's get started:

SS-Tier:Reality Warpers/Cosmic Entities

Beings who have an unlimited amount of power. They have the ability to manipulate reality as they see fit. They have power beyond human comprehension, so much though that if challenged, can not theoretically lose.

TL;DR: Franklin Richards, David Haller, Mad Jim Jaspers, Mother, The Spectre

-(Marvel) Franklin Richards: Franklin is an omega-level mutant of the highest caliber. He has reality-manipulating powers, as well as having psychic abilities. Once Franklin grows up and understands his true power, he could become akin to a god.

-(Marvel) David Haller: David is also an omega-level mutant, with hundreds of ability, from time manipulation, to extreme amouns of strength, he too has a vast arsenal of power. The only catch his for each ability, he must change his personality, thus giving him hundreds, with more being born.

-(Marvel) Mad Jim Jaspers: Yet another reality warper, this time to such an extent that he is able to manipulate the universe to the point of it being unrecognizable. The entire Jim Jaspers timeline had to be shutdown due to it.

-(Spawn) Mother: Mother is creator of everything in the Spawn universe. She cannot be harmed, and can erase the universe from existence. She has such power that not even her creations, God and Satan come remotely close to her strength.

-(DC) Spectre: Spectre is the physical embodiment of God's vengeance on Earth. Spectre uses incredibly divine powers to punish the wicked in creative, yet ironic ways. Spectre can also be seen bending the fabric of space and time.

WORK IN PROGRESS.

(Additional Tiers,
A - Gods Among Mortals
B - Pinnacle of Mortals
C - Superhuman
D - Powerful Mortals
E - Notable Mortals)

Thanks for this. It'll probably help Tofu's thread out a bunch. Just considering adding Deadpool to SSS ;D

(No but seriously add some marvel gods in there it makes everything better (Death and such. Also, Goku and Vegeta are at god level, but only in raw power/strength. Remember that.)
"[Witty statement]"

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:13:44 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
Did I start some sort of trend on the forums? Like I said in my most recent thread, my knowledge in many areas is quite limited so I won't be able to help much but I'd have to say it's hard to make such a tier list, considering the strongest characters in one fictional story/game/etc. aren't equally strong.

I mean, maybe reality warpers in DC are stronger than gods in Marvel or something and DC gods go even higher up than Marvel's. That was just an example, please Kiyza don't kill me if I'm wrong.

As to why my knowledge on most areas isn't that wide... Well, I just haven't devoted myself to something for long enough to know every single detail the way Nia can be with Dragon Ball (even though he claims his Dragon Ball knowledge is limited) or Kiyza with her comics.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:24:42 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian

Previously on DBOR discusses power levels...

...the Spectre (present in my reaction images) has a huge issue with no one reading his comics and perpetuating blatant lies about his/their nature and powers

Resident Spectre expert and fangirl reporting in.

I don't know what comics you've read other than Spawn, but they probably don't include comics about the Spectre -- or even involving the Spectre -- if you think he's absolutely indestructible and can't lose. He regularly gets his shit shoved in and has been blatantly overpowered before. In fact, the way his powers work in most continuities, this is a direct consequence of their mechanics and stipulations, but he still occasionally gets wrecked even on good days of the week.

Honestly, he's a good reason these types of tier charts don't work as well as people think they do. Any character that's been around for 76 years and counting (especially if they're a DC character) is going to be all over the place in terms of strength, and he runs the gamut with what exactly he's capable of doing even in the same issue, let alone the huge disparity between continuities and writers. This is generally explained by either the plot or the actual scope of the story. He's been depowered and repowered in canon, has his chain yanked by his hosts, and generally isn't apt to do completely ridiculous things in crime & punishment horror or supernatural detective stories, which make up the bulk of his ongoings. The worst that happened in his most recent series was that a good chunk of Gotham got torn up because of the localized zombie apocalypse he accidentally triggered.

The problem with making these kinds of tier lists is that no one who claims to have authority on the subject matter is actually directly familiar with all of it. They just go by word of mouth, and that word of mouth is often questionable and twisted because people who try to make these kinds of lists will often leave out any details that would make a character's position in some artificial hierarchy lower or make them seem more fallible. It's also difficult to compare characters across series in some respects, particularly if there's no real-world point of reference (and really, what the heck is the real-world point of reference for reality-warping?) that can be used for a rough guesstimate. For example, we can tell the Flash is faster than Quicksilver because the Flash is sometimes pointed out to be moving at velocities approaching or surpassing light speed, but Quicksilver hasn't even come close to that to the best of my knowledge, but when you start trying to compare Doctor Strange and Doctor Fate, there's not even a good starting point.

You can't make a tier list for Street Fighter if you haven't played Street Fighter. Heck, you arguably can't make a tier list for Street Fighter unless you're someone who's actually good in the metagame, and even then, your opinions are going to be biased depending on your main because your matchups are going to influence your judgement. So why, exactly, should you make a tier list for fiction in general when it's not even clear how much familiarity with what you've just written out?

Also, Franklin Richards is an annoying little shit, Legion and Jaspers are mutie scum, and I'm under the impression that Spawn's "Mother" is more a force than a character. On the other hand, Spec a bes < 3

(No but seriously add some marvel gods in there it makes everything better (Death and such. Also, Goku and Vegeta are at god level, but only in raw power/strength. Remember that.)

Cosmic entities in Marvel wouldn't bat an eyelid if the universe was destroyed. I believe Galactus almost did so accidentally on one occasion, but don't quote me on that since I don't have the issue. Anything Goku and Vegeta could do on a scale like that would literally be suicide.

They're also not "gods" -- gods are a separate concept in the Marvel universe. Beings like Death are personifications of concepts that exist regardless of whether or not any people do and gods proper are the result of spiritual beliefs held by mortals. The easiest way to put it is that they're like the primordial gods of Greek mythology and guys like Thor are more like the Olympian gods. Celestials and their ilk are analogous to titans.

I mean, maybe reality warpers in DC are stronger than gods in Marvel or something and DC gods go even higher up than Marvel's. That was just an example, please Kiyza don't kill me if I'm wrong.

Reality-warpers and ridiculously powerful characters in DC are more likely to be likable, well-developed, three-dimensional characters with quality comics. Similar such characters in Marvel are more likely to be annoying, poorly-developed, and go against the grain of the universe's themes at best and are walking deus ex machinas or sentient plot devices at worst. These aren't hard rules, just general tendencies and it's obviously going to vary by writer too, but I think DC generally handles the concept of power better than Marvel.

I can't tell you anything about relative power levels because that when things start breaking down.

As to why my knowledge on most areas isn't that wide... Well, I just haven't devoted myself to something for long enough to know every single detail the way Nia can be with Dragon Ball (even though he claims his Dragon Ball knowledge is limited) or Kiyza with her comics.

I know it can seem like it, but I'm not a walking encyclopedia when it comes to cape comics. There are a few things I have expertise in (the Spectre being a good example), but I'm usually a cherry-picker who simply reads whatever's good, especially if it appeals to my tastes. The thing is, most series will eventually accumulate something worth reading if they're been around long enough, even if I don't like the concept, especially if a writer or artist I like is handling it.

The Spectre is also a really good "gateway" character if you've never read a comic from DC before. Some of his series are mostly self-contained and you don't need a crash course on continuity for most of the rest.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:44:22 AM »
    • View Profile
I'm not going to bother quoting anyone. But just a heads up, any post after this one will usually include an update to the tier list.

Kiyza, I'll disagree with you on this one, only because at "full strength" Spectre has been highly overpowered. This tier list will usually show the most recent rendition of a character, just to avoid varying power.

But, I might lower him a few tiers. And yes, DBZ characters will be put up on the list. Thanks everyone!

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »

Offline Tech Sheep

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Kind of just there
Previously on DBOR discusses power levels...

Resident Spectre expert and fangirl reporting in.

I don't know what comics you've read other than Spawn, but they probably don't include comics about the Spectre -- or even involving the Spectre -- if you think he's absolutely indestructible and can't lose. He regularly gets his shit shoved in and has been blatantly overpowered before. In fact, the way his powers work in most continuities, this is a direct consequence of their mechanics and stipulations, but he still occasionally gets wrecked even on good days of the week.

Honestly, he's a good reason these types of tier charts don't work as well as people think they do. Any character that's been around for 76 years and counting (especially if they're a DC character) is going to be all over the place in terms of strength, and he runs the gamut with what exactly he's capable of doing even in the same issue, let alone the huge disparity between continuities and writers. This is generally explained by either the plot or the actual scope of the story. He's been depowered and repowered in canon, has his chain yanked by his hosts, and generally isn't apt to do completely ridiculous things in crime & punishment horror or supernatural detective stories, which make up the bulk of his ongoings. The worst that happened in his most recent series was that a good chunk of Gotham got torn up because of the localized zombie apocalypse he accidentally triggered.

The problem with making these kinds of tier lists is that no one who claims to have authority on the subject matter is actually directly familiar with all of it. They just go by word of mouth, and that word of mouth is often questionable and twisted because people who try to make these kinds of lists will often leave out any details that would make a character's position in some artificial hierarchy lower or make them seem more fallible. It's also difficult to compare characters across series in some respects, particularly if there's no real-world point of reference (and really, what the heck is the real-world point of reference for reality-warping?) that can be used for a rough guesstimate. For example, we can tell the Flash is faster than Quicksilver because the Flash is sometimes pointed out to be moving at velocities approaching or surpassing light speed, but Quicksilver hasn't even come close to that to the best of my knowledge, but when you start trying to compare Doctor Strange and Doctor Fate, there's not even a good starting point.

You can't make a tier list for Street Fighter if you haven't played Street Fighter. Heck, you arguably can't make a tier list for Street Fighter unless you're someone who's actually good in the metagame, and even then, your opinions are going to be biased depending on your main because your matchups are going to influence your judgement. So why, exactly, should you make a tier list for fiction in general when it's not even clear how much familiarity with what you've just written out?

Also, Franklin Richards is an annoying little shit, Legion and Jaspers are mutie scum, and I'm under the impression that Spawn's "Mother" is more a force than a character. On the other hand, Spec a bes < 3

Cosmic entities in Marvel wouldn't bat an eyelid if the universe was destroyed. I believe Galactus almost did so accidentally on one occasion, but don't quote me on that since I don't have the issue. Anything Goku and Vegeta could do on a scale like that would literally be suicide.

[Cut out like my soul]

The Spectre is also a really good "gateway" character if you've never read a comic from DC before. Some of his series are mostly self-contained and you don't need a crash course on continuity for most of the rest.

Well m82 I think he wanted people like you to elaborate on it and correct him and stuff... Probably. Which is why I gave him suggestions.

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE KNOW STREET FIGHTER THE WORLD IS SAVED

True... I'm not very well-versed in the marvel bible (i mean the universe don't kill me), so I'm not going to be perfect either. On top of that, I'm not saying Goku can punch universes. I'm really not. Oi, @TheSolidSnakeX make a god tier list... Not all gods are created equal.

Well now I have priority required reading to do... Maybe after I re-watch One Punch Man for the 62nd time. Maybe.
"[Witty statement]"

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
On top of that, I'm not saying Goku can punch universes. I'm really not.

Except he did!

Spoiler for A scene from Super:

Edit: Oh crap! I just noticed I posted this on the wrong thread but I'll leave it here for @Nia to suffer.

Edit 2: So I didn't post it in the wrong thread afterall, I was really tired when I "noticed I had posted it on the wrong thread". Also, added a spoiler to the thing because apparently people don't know this yet.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:48:55 PM by Tofu »
MarineCorps

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline Manphu

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 2 / 0
    • View Profile
  • El. Psy. Kongroo
Except he did!

Edit: Oh crap! I just noticed I posted this on the wrong thread but I'll leave it here for @Nia to suffer.

I thought we wouldn't have to show this again...... How wrong I was....

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline Tech Sheep

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Kind of just there
Except he did!

i don't want to look at this anymoar (YOU SPOILED SUPER AND YOU SHALL PAY)
"[Witty statement]"

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:30:49 AM »

Offline Topaz

• 1 Dragonball
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Live as if you’ll die today.
Except he did!

Where's a spoiler emote when you need it? xD
MarineCorps
We WILL Protect the peace

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:07:22 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Come on! All this threads are filled with spoilers... Besides that was from Super's first saga.
MarineCorps

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »

Offline Tech Sheep

• 2 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Kind of just there
Come on! All this threads are filled with spoilers... Besides that was from Super's first saga.

*Frieza voice* I WILL FKING MAWRDAR U (I ain't even mad) (Okay I'm pretty miffed) (Okay I'm kind of mad. It wasn't as bad as that Death Note spoiler though...)

and you seem to contribute half of them
"[Witty statement]"

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
    • View Profile
Alright no more spoilers.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Death is actually bad for your health.

Anyways, update! I'm a tad busy, but still open for suggestions.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 12:12:52 AM »

Offline SkyHero20

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Unbreakable will of determination
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
i prefer superhumans and God like beings simply because they would have the same type of powers but at different degrees of effectiveness and pure power plus skill

expect the unexpected

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Kiyza, I'll disagree with you on this one, only because at "full strength" Spectre has been highly overpowered. This tier list will usually show the most recent rendition of a character, just to avoid varying power.

You see, this is the behavior that bothers me about people who argue about power levels and what have you. They're perfectly willing to ignore decades of publication history if something doesn't fit their perspective on things and often find information about works of fiction via unreliable word of mouth, because there's a sort of "hivemind" mentality that goes along with the subculture. Going against the grain or questioning the group and its principles will get you and your perspective nowhere.

The Spectre isn't "undefeatable". That's not to say that he isn't stupidly powerful -- on a good day of the week, he's arguably DC's strongest recurring character outside of stuff that hardly shows up in the "main" comics (i.e. Sandman and Lucifer, event villains like Mandrakk) but that's still a disputable statement that varies by writer and he has a bunch of small flaws that make him a lot more vulnerable than he seems on the surface. "Very strong" and "unconquerable" are two completely different concepts.

Beings who cannot be defeated through conventional means. The characters up here have enough power destroy almost anyone who is brave enough to challenge them. However, through the right circumstances, they can be brought down.

TL;DR: Thanos, Galactus, Darkseid, Doomsday,

Thanos is not on Galactus's level. Thanos is only ever a threat to those types of beings because he has the uncanny ability to find whatever cosmic MacGuffin he needs to further his plans of getting some sweet abstract booty. On an average day of the week, Thanos is an impressive threat to some of the more powerful mainstay Marvel characters, like Thor and the Silver Surfer, but Galactus makes him look like a joke. Galactus makes characters and entities much stronger than Thanos, like Odin and Mephisto, look like a joke, though. The Big Gcertainly isn't Marvel's strongest character, but he's definitely up there, and a lot further up there than Thanos.

Darkseid I can't quite directly comment on, but I just picked up Darkseid vs Galactus: The Hunger, a one-shot by John Byrne from back when Marvel and DC actually got along for a few years and did some really nice crossovers. It's actually what reminded me that this thread exists. The Tiger Force at the Core of All Things got blown the naughtyword out during it, and though I realize crossovers something to be taken with a pinch of salt (particularly because Darkseid got his fair share of retcons handed out when Grant Morrison started dealing with New Gods stuff), Byrne is the writer who defined the "modern" Galactus and something of a Jack Kirby fetishist aficionado, so I think it's safe to say it's at least coming from a knowledgeable and authoritative source. I can't really comment on Doomzday beyond Darkseid using avatars most of the time as opposed to appearing in person outside of Apokolips, though.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:58:29 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
Where the hell is Shaq? He is a pretty powerful meme from a great fighting game. It was amazing. Definitely could take down a reality warper.

Spoiler for Hidden:
lol jk but srsly where tf is mr potato head? he is op.png