Iamsofunny
  • Yesterday at 09:55:47 PM
    Heh... Get it?
  • Yesterday at 09:55:42 PM
    Summer in Germany is not cool...
  • Yesterday at 09:35:52 PM
    :r_flame:
  • Yesterday at 09:32:04 PM
    it's so hot where i live...i might die before i see dbor release. I f*cking hate summer in Germany! :superangry: :r_flame: :vomit: :bruh: :yamcha:
  • Yesterday at 03:44:21 AM
    PROST!!!
  • May 24, 2017, 08:09:46 AM
    :juggs:
  • May 23, 2017, 12:48:14 AM
    OMG Luffy.... YOU ARE SO CORRECT ON THAT. 1st gen was the best.
  • May 22, 2017, 09:00:57 AM
    yea man, digimon was nice...especially Gen 1  :derp:
  • May 22, 2017, 05:03:50 AM
    XY were crap in comparison to Sun and Moon. Gen 7 was much more enjoyable to play, and longer too
  • May 22, 2017, 04:38:54 AM
    As for Pokemon. I did like X before I lost it. Though I'm not the biggest poke fan. The games are fun
  • May 22, 2017, 04:38:20 AM
    I was looking at Monster Hunter, the DLC always looks cool. The game looks complicated though
  • May 21, 2017, 10:36:38 PM
    Monster hunter
  • May 21, 2017, 12:39:08 PM
    How many time dumkyyyy i wanna help you
  • May 21, 2017, 07:53:24 AM
    Go with Pokemon Sun/Moon. :)
  • May 21, 2017, 04:01:23 AM
    :holdit: Dumke...gimme the DBOR
  • May 20, 2017, 11:31:11 PM
    gmes relased mid 2016 onwards. .. preferably ones people still play online
  • May 20, 2017, 10:10:47 PM
    Define new ones.
  • May 20, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
    Greetings
  • May 20, 2017, 03:22:32 PM
    Hello
  • May 20, 2017, 08:44:05 AM
    Also, anyone got any game recomendations for 3ds? Preferably new ones.
  • May 20, 2017, 08:43:26 AM
    Darn it! I wanted people to EX fuse with..
  • May 20, 2017, 08:10:18 AM
    DUMKYYYYYYYY
  • May 19, 2017, 01:48:49 PM
    I don't play it much anymore, but i have it.

Topic: Project M Is Now Officially Going To Shut Down!!!!!  (Read 2504 times)

Project M Is Now Officially Going To Shut Down!!!!!
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:51 AM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 0
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
"
Hello friends,

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project.

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road.

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures.

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete.

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us.

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant . We appreciate your support and your understanding.

One final time,

PMDev

Thank you for playing!

"

God-popo dammit you guys were the best and I hope to see you making a completely new videogame IP and I'm 417942871289% sure it WILL succeed you guys are THE SHIT fookin wankers.
now here's some vids made by youtubers in regard of this sad event. =(

Spoiler for Hidden:
In all honesty Project M was one of my favorite games to play of all time and even to this day I really can't get enough of it and I play it so much, i have such good memories with it and I shall never forget it nor the people who made it,Thank you guys for an amazing game and trying so hard even though it's just a fan-project, you really raised the stakes in terms of fan projects... and I hope your legacy never ends and your next game will succeed immensely.
Good Bye PMDT, Thank you so much.

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:36:41 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
naughtyword finally, now you PMfags can stop shitposting.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:43:01 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
While I never really delved into the project due to lack of interest, I can see a lot of people were really involved in it, so I can most certainly appreciate what they did.  I'm sure the project they focus on in the future will be great.   
We WILL Protect the Peace!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:50:23 AM »

Offline Gewku

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 14 / 0
    • View Profile
  • 【KFC】
popo finally, now you PMfags can stop shitposting.
looooooool,may I ask what's your favourite smash game =D

While I never really delved into the project due to lack of interest, I can see a lot of people were really involved in it, so I can most certainly appreciate what they did.  I'm sure the project they focus on in the future will be great.   
yeap, it was a really amazingly ambitious project and they never failed to deliver imo...

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:55:16 AM »

Offline vating

• Shenron
  • Honor: 15 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
I played it a couple times and loved it...  I'm sad now...

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:04:16 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit

This is basically what I would've said but Shyruni did it for me. Hope these guys do even bigger stuff in the future.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:34 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 16 / 0
    • View Profile
  • A lesson without pain is meaningless.
RIP Project M.

This news is actually pretty heartbreaking for me. Project M was my favourite Smash bros game even though it wasn't an official nintendo game. For the past two years, I decided I would seriously sit down and play the game. I eventually got really good at the game and started to participate in tournaments, usually ending in the top 3 for most of them. I loved the game and was the first smash game that taught me all I know today such as DI, crouch cancelling, wavedashing, etc.

I can't express my emotions about this in words. I have mixed feelings of frustration and sadness upon hearing this news. Damn...Project M will forever be held close to me as I continue playing competitive smash.

And for those who haven't played the game or gotten a chance, it's a shame you didn't while you could have. It truly was a beautiful game where developers actually paid attention to fans and what they said/wanted. Something I personally think Nintendo lacks.
Peace is nothing but the result of war
Need a Sig? Follow me on DeviantArt here: http://kaizayamishira.deviantart.com/

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
looooooool,may I ask what's your favourite smash game =D
Melee and Sm4sh. I enjoy them equally.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I gotta admit, while it's sad to see development on the game (and thus support and rebalances, which tend to be essential to fighting games) come to a halt, I have to admit, I'm interested in seeing where the dev team wants to go in the future. Considering Smash Bros. is (currently) the only platform fighter that's played on a competitive level and they have experience working with that type of fighting game, I'd be very interested to see if they want to continue that. There are only so many sub-genres of fighting games that are actually on the market and the mechanics overlap so much that it'd be nice to see something in the "easy to learn, hard to master" vein as opposed to the "hard to learn, good luck mastering it" that's the default for the genre. It's not that I dislike the difficulty curve for traditional fighters -- it's that I feel like that difficulty curve keeps people away from the genre.

And for those who haven't played the game or gotten a chance, it's a shame you didn't while you could have. It truly was a beautiful game where developers actually paid attention to fans and what they said/wanted. Something I personally think Nintendo lacks.

Eh, I think it's important to break this down a bit. Nintendo never worked on patching any of the previous Smash Bros. iterations because it wasn't feasible to do so, and they don't seem to have any intention of doing Super Ultra Turbo Smash Bros. EX: 3D Arcade Edition -- Third Strike. In general, Nintendo tends to abstain from that, unless you play Pokemon. They simply update the game for every new platform. So Melee became popular for the competitive scene in the same way Sentinel Vs Magneto Vs Storm 2: The Age of New Cable did. People found ways to break the game, found that those ways of breaking the game worked much better with certain characters as opposed to others, and they found that breaking the game made it more fun in their eyes.

With a lot of the fighting game genre, gamers breaking the game and developers actually incorporating the game-breaking bugs into the latest overhaul of the system is standard. Combos, canceling, and crossups are all the result of bugs. Shit, even Dhalsim's Yoga Teleport is actually inspired by a glitch. However, Nintendo has a vested interest in keeping the mechanics simple because that's actually what gives them an edge on the competition. As I mentioned, it's partially complicated gameplay mechanics that largely keep semi-casual and core players away from the genre. I'm currently in the process of learning to play fighting games in general, and it's downright punishing. A lot of gamers are interested in a measure of instant gratification, and they're just not going to get it from a game where you have to do a bunch of complicated button inputs just to move forward. By distancing themselves from that subset of players while also not pushing them away, Nintendo is basically maximizing the number of people who'd be interested in the game.

Also, it's not like they aren't listening to fan input. After all, they put in a few characters who were fan-favorites cut from previous titles and bothered to nerf Hoo-Has.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:14:40 AM by Kiyza »

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
With a lot of the fighting game genre, gamers breaking the game and developers actually incorporating the game-breaking bugs into the latest overhaul of the system is standard. Combos, canceling, and crossups are all the result of bugs. Shit, even Dhalsim's Yoga Teleport is actually inspired by a glitch. However, Nintendo has a vested interest in keeping the mechanics simple because that's actually what gives them an edge on the competition. As I mentioned, it's partially complicated gameplay mechanics that largely keep semi-casual and core players away from the genre. I'm currently in the process of learning to play fighting games in general, and it's downright punishing. A lot of gamers are interested in a measure of instant gratification, and they're just not going to get it from a game where you have to do a bunch of complicated button inputs just to move forward. By distancing themselves from that subset of players while also not pushing them away, Nintendo is basically maximizing the number of people who'd be interested in the game.

Also, it's not like they aren't listening to fan input. After all, they put in a few characters who were fan-favorites cut from previous titles and bothered to nerf Hoo-Has.

I guess that is true. Nintendo isn't well-known for patching games and such. However, I'm just curious why they haven't done so? Do they not have the ability to? I mean, don't they update sm4sh with new characters? If they can do that then why can't they say for example, buff Link or something in sm4sh (I don't play sm4sh. I just used Link as an example because he's my main in all smash games)? Perhaps there's a piece of info I'm missing on this topic because I was always curious why they didn't just patch characters based on what the fans wanted most.

But I also understand your valid point on "Nintendo basically maximizing the number of people who'd be interested in the game." I mean good ol' Iwata said himself: "Video games are meant to be fun. Fun for everyone."

So if that's what they're striving for, I can take that as a valid point.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »
    • View Profile
  • My Hand Hurts From All The Drawing
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
R.I.P. Project M

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline Mikecw.

• 5 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
I guess that is true. Nintendo isn't well-known for patching games and such. However, I'm just curious why they haven't done so? Do they not have the ability to? I mean, don't they update sm4sh with new characters? If they can do that then why can't they say for example, buff Link or something in sm4sh (I don't play sm4sh. I just used Link as an example because he's my main in all smash games)? Perhaps there's a piece of info I'm missing on this topic because I was always curious why they didn't just patch characters based on what the fans wanted most.
They have been updating sm4sh regularly, what are you talking about?

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile

But I also understand your valid point on "Nintendo basically maximizing the number of people who'd be interested in the game." I mean good ol' Iwata said himself: "Video games are meant to be fun. Fun for everyone."

From what I understand, they have been doing a lot more of the patching on the WiiU specifically.  I know there have been multiple balancing changes made to Smash 4 over time, I've updated that game at least 10 times, and not all them were for DLC.  I've also received quite a few updates for Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and other games.  I've also experienced some of this for the 3DS as well.  Yes, there was abysmal amounts of that on the Wii, but patching seems to be a bigger focus than it used to be.

Tbh, I felt like got a massive buff in Smash 4 compared to Brawl, I felt like he was much easier to use than the Brawl one. 

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus

As I mentioned before, Nintendo simply didn;t patch its games ala CAPCOM fighters because they have never been keen on re-releasing some new edition of an old game with minor tweaks after a little while, barring the Pokémon follow-up titles. Most of Nintendo's remakes and half-assed sequels (like Mario Kart and Whatever 3D) are also releases for a new console to keep the game itself in circulation. Update "sequels" are standard procedure for fighting games, but Nintendo generally avoids making those types of games when they're on the same console. This isn't entirely a bad thing, considering it also helps to increase availability.

To address the issue of "Why didn't they buff X?", they actually have. They do content patches with some degree of regularity now that help improve the game's balance. As someone who mains Ganondorf, I can attest to them tweaking him here and there, like improving the shield-breaking ability of his down special and improving the KO potential on his down smash. They also increased the amount of time for Luma's respawn early on, in addition to fixing Hoo-Has like I mentioned. They haven't made any huge overhauls to gameplay balance or anything, but they do tiny tweaks quite a bit. They're responding partially to complaints about certain characters being overpowered or underpowered, but I'd imagine that they're also looking at the game data from online matches in addition to simply catering to fans. It's certainly nice, considering Smash in general has been subject to a lot of issues with balance, with fast characters dominating the game for three titles in a row and a good chunk of the cast being effectively nonviable after a certain skill threshold.

And with respect to Nintendo wanting to keep things fun and accessible and doing this at the expense of the competitive crowd, it's perfectly understandable why the dev team would want to do this. The learning curve that you need to get past in order to play certain fighting games can turn a lot of people off, and with a game like Smash 4, which has to keep people playing and hyped so that they can sell DLC and keep the patches coming, you want long-term players, not people who will quit after having difficulty simply keeping pace with other players because of the amount of dexterity and precision required to do certain things.

Case in point, I'm currently learning to play Guilty Gear, and I main Potemkin, who lacks standard options for approaching like a forward dash and an air dash. This makes it a bit of a pain to approach with him, which can be an issue because he's heavily reliant on staying close to an opponent to deal damage. One of the more effective ways to approach is to use a different special, Slide Head (a sort of "earthquake" attack that knocks the opponent down if they're touching ground), input the charge for Hammerfall (his command dash, which has to be charged for 30 seconds) while you're in the middle of Slide Head's animation. Then you'll usually want to cancel Hammer Fall to prevent your opponent from getting at you on wakeup. I don't have Xrd, but I'm pretty sure that in that game, you can only cancel it using a Yellow Roman Cancel, which costs Tension, the game's super meter.

That's a basic strategy for moving forward, and it's not only a paragraph long, it also sounds like gibberish to people who don't play fighting games. Granted, it's to cover a character without standard options for approaching, but it's still quite complex. Wavedashing in Melee (and, by extension, Project M) is vaguely similar in concept and execution -- it's an option for approaching (albeit over a shorter distance) with a very complicated input that requires tricky timing. It's also Melee 101 if you want to be decent at the game. Something like that is to be expected from a game like Guilty Gear, which is designed with the competitive crowd in mind, but the fact that everything in Smash is so simple makes the complex nature of wavedashing (especially considering its utility for something so basic, yet essential) just flat out jarring, and yes, probably off-putting to people who just want to get into the game.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 01:10:44 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I had a feeling the walls of text would eventually show up. Smash is a delicate topic in these forums. I haven't really read these walls but I can guess you guys are discussing about Nintendo doing a great job with Smash 4 or not and a lot of comparison between Melee and all other Smash games.

To be honest, the Smash game I have enjoyed the most (and everyone will hate me because of this) is Brawl. Not because the game is better or anything (although the Subspace Emissary was great in my opinion) but because I had it on my Wii and I had all four controllers so I always invited friends over to beat the crap out of each other. On Melee, I usually was 2 controllers short and it was quite annoying to play with two controllers and having the loser switch all the time.

When it comes to Sm4sh, it's been really fun this far but since I have it on my 3DS, I can't just invite friends over to play Smash. Because of that, I've barely played the game after unlocking all characters and stages and beating the Master Core. I still play online every now and then and have fun, but I get this whole competitive feel I didn't meet in Brawl since I didn't have to play online because I could invite friends over. I don't think I even got to know if Brawl had online features because I didn't need them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:19:17 PM by Tofu »
MarineCorps

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline Jak

• 4 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 12 / 1
    • View Profile
Never even heard of this before.

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
From what I understand, they have been doing a lot more of the patching on the WiiU specifically.  I know there have been multiple balancing changes made to Smash 4 over time, I've updated that game at least 10 times, and not all them were for DLC.  I've also received quite a few updates for Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, and other games.  I've also experienced some of this for the 3DS as well.  Yes, there was abysmal amounts of that on the Wii, but patching seems to be a bigger focus than it used to be
As I mentioned before, Nintendo simply didn;t patch its games ala CAPCOM fighters because they have never been keen on re-releasing some new edition of an old game with minor tweaks after a little while, barring the Pokémon follow-up titles. Most of Nintendo's remakes and half-assed sequels (like Mario Kart and Whatever 3D) are also releases for a new console to keep the game itself in circulation. Update "sequels" are standard procedure for fighting games, but Nintendo generally avoids making those types of games when they're on the same console. This isn't entirely a bad thing, considering it also helps to increase availability.

To address the issue of "Why didn't they buff X?", they actually have. They do content patches with some degree of regularity now that help improve the game's balance. As someone who mains Ganondorf, I can attest to them tweaking him here and there, like improving the shield-breaking ability of his down special and improving the KO potential on his down smash. They also increased the amount of time for Luma's respawn early on, in addition to fixing Hoo-Has like I mentioned. They haven't made any huge overhauls to gameplay balance or anything, but they do tiny tweaks quite a bit. They're responding partially to complaints about certain characters being overpowered or underpowered, but I'd imagine that they're also looking at the game data from online matches in addition to simply catering to fans. It's certainly nice, considering Smash in general has been subject to a lot of issues with balance, with fast characters dominating the game for three titles in a row and a good chunk of the cast being effectively nonviable after a certain skill threshold.
They have been updating sm4sh regularly, what are you talking about?

Ahh then my mistake. I was under the impression sm4sh was like brawl where Nintendo didn't patch or anything like that. Kiyza is right that smash isn't like Capcom fighters where they make like 5 different versions/updates of the same game (ie. Street Fighter 4, Super SF4, Ultra SF4, etc). It's a different story then if they keep updating the same game.

Anyway, we're getting off topic since this thread is about PM.

To be honest, the Smash game I have enjoyed the most (and everyone will hate me because of this) is Brawl. Not because the game is better or anything (although the Subspace Emissary was great in my opinion) but because I had it on my Wii and I had all four controllers so I always invited friends over to beat the crap out of each other. On Melee, I usually was 2 controllers short and it was quite annoying to play with two controllers and having the loser switch all the time.

I have a feeling you would have loved Project M...after all, it IS just a mod for Brawl. They kept the Subspace Emissary in and everything so basically you'd be playing Brawl version 2.0. Project M was a game just like brawl in the sense where you could just invite all your friends over and play it endlessly - probably due to the fact that every character was unique and viable. You could just play hours and hours of matches with different characters, enjoying the fun each member of the roster had in store. Hell, you could use a Wii remote too so your controller problem would be gone.

Simultaneously, Project M could also be played competitively like Melee. This satisfied a lot of people as a whole. In my opinion Project M was the perfect balance between competitive and casual. I like to call it, "A casually competitive game". 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:33:03 PM by Kaiza »

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 03:28:27 AM »

Offline Tomlanji

• Shenron
  • Honor: 72 / 0
    • View Profile
  • ★║-Dead-║★
  • I am a: Human
Sad that they took the links for the game down as well. They were planning on adding Knuckles, Lyn, Skull Kid, and I think Isaac. Sucks that those will not be complete, hope they could get added from other mod creators.

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
Sad that they took the links for the game down as well. They were planning on adding Knuckles, Lyn, Skull Kid, and I think Isaac. Sucks that those will not be complete, hope they could get added from other mod creators.

There were rumours about a leakage on Project M's newest but unfinished build. Apparently one of the Devs went rogue and leaked out a build containing an almost complete Isaac, 80% finished knuckles, and barely worked on Lyn. Lyn apparently crashes the game.

I don't have the link, but it's somewhere up there in reddit as I read one or two threads with the DL link. I decided not to download it because I'm probably going to start focusing on melee now that PM is dead.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
Here's an update on the situation from modder Mewtwo2000, who has some very important light to shed on the issue.

To sum it up, while there was no official legal action taken, Project M's dev team found out that their mod could be sued for copyright infringement as opposed to the standard "cease and desist" that game companies will often hand out to people doing similar such projects. They're urging people to not consider Project M's development, as it could result in legal action for the people who previously developed the game.

A sad fate, considering the number of people who enjoyed it.

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
    • View Profile
  • My Hand Hurts From All The Drawing
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Hay when people get the tech or something to start modding on the Wii U and Smash Bros. 4 is done updating maybe we'll see Project M return on Smash 4 (This is  a stretch probably won't happen)

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 12:51:06 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
There were rumours about a leakage on Project M's newest but unfinished build. Apparently one of the Devs went rogue and leaked out a build containing an almost complete Isaac, 80% finished knuckles, and barely worked on Lyn. Lyn apparently crashes the game.

I don't have the link, but it's somewhere up there in reddit as I read one or two threads with the DL link. I decided not to download it because I'm probably going to start focusing on melee now that PM is dead.

Wait, can't you just play the Project M mod you last installed?
MarineCorps

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus

A message to the people switching to Melee.

Just from what I've observed, a fighting game that lacks support and consistent updates tends to turn into a rather buggy, unbalanced game as people find more and more ways to cheat the system as time goes on. It's part of the reason you see gameplay get so weird when it comes to Marvel Vs CAPCOM titles in particular. Not a universal truth, but same fighter metagames are actually based on exploiting the system.

...Then again, it's also exactly what happened in Melee. The game was certainly never meant to be played the way the way that Melee fanatics do, and in typical fighting game fan fashion, they happen to love the bugs and exploits more than the game the way it was meant to be played, because it creates a higher technical skill threshold (and thus, by proxy, keeps scrubs out and gears the game toward fanatics).

I really do think that the people who enjoy playing Project M should probably just stick to it as opposed to switching to Melee. The metagame for Melee will probably take a long time to adjust to, not to mention it would be much more difficult to break into because of the sheer number of people who never stopped playing the game. They could also switch to Sm4sh, but I find that unlikely because of the removal of mechanics they're so familiar with and base their gameplay style on, but each to their own.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 03:38:03 PM »

Offline Kaiza

• 4 Dragonballs
    • View Profile

Of course. I have the latest 'official' edition of Project M on my computer.

But I'm switching to melee because PM won't be played competitively anymore. And as I stated before in my first post, I used to go to tournaments for PM as well as just casual hangouts with friends to play PM.

Melee on the other hand still has a lively competitive field that I can compete in.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:18:26 PM by Kaiza »

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 06:07:28 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
    • View Profile
Here's an update on the situation from modder Mewtwo2000, who has some very important light to shed on the issue.

To sum it up, while there was no official legal action taken, Project M's dev team found out that their mod could be sued for copyright infringement as opposed to the standard "cease and desist" that game companies will often hand out to people doing similar such projects. They're urging people to not consider Project M's development, as it could result in legal action for the people who previously developed the game.

A sad fate, considering the number of people who enjoyed it.

Indeed, but I hope this encourages them to create something new and awesome.  Usually parodies and mods don't last quite as long as Project M did, usually because they always end up reaching a point where they do really walk on the fine line.  I'm actually surprised TFS has survived as well as it has.  From what I've gathered about Project M, it seems like it was almost its own Smash title, so I can see why it became in such a dangerous territory.

In my honest opinion, it's better to move beyond mods and such eventually anyways.  It's why I moved on from merely editing sprites to creating entire new ones.  You can create your own ideas and show them to the world instead of merely showing someone else's creation in a new light.  I'm curious to see if TFS actually does some official voice acting in the future, they seem like decent actors.  But yeah, I hope to see if the creators of Project M can create something awesome in the future.