Recent Topics

View Desktop Site View Mobile Site

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Keep it Clean! No Advertising!
  • Yesterday at 05:17:31 AM
    Ikr xD
  • Yesterday at 01:52:01 AM
    piccolo had a nice line too xD ... "Gohan, are you ok? Do you need some juice? Did you get in that school you wanted? NOOOOOOOO!!!"
  • January 17, 2017, 07:55:02 PM
    Your powerlevels probably as big as your motives
  • January 17, 2017, 02:47:23 PM
    What's your power level? Mine's pretty big.
  • January 17, 2017, 09:38:57 AM
    just watched it again...he's still damn cool...but so dumb...
  • January 14, 2017, 06:11:39 AM
    Pretty much sums up his character
  • January 13, 2017, 11:18:02 PM
    but sooo cool...
  • January 13, 2017, 09:40:32 PM
    But he is so dumb.
  • January 13, 2017, 01:17:58 PM
    He's so god damn cool
  • January 13, 2017, 08:31:52 AM
    Goku: Ask your mother
  • January 13, 2017, 08:31:39 AM
    Gohan: What's Sadism?
  • January 13, 2017, 07:58:49 AM
    nah...the full thing...was a little let down to see the voice for LSSJ Broly...that passive voice + LSSJ would've been muuuuch funnier xD
  • January 13, 2017, 07:22:10 AM
    Full movie? Not in parts? XD
  • January 13, 2017, 07:04:59 AM
    and the song at credits is also dope... xD
  • January 13, 2017, 07:00:26 AM
    *their
  • January 13, 2017, 07:00:17 AM
    tfs uploaded full broly movie on ther youtube channel...was dope xD
  • January 13, 2017, 05:21:59 AM
    eny news of the game dbor???
  • January 13, 2017, 05:21:30 AM
    whasup wasup wasup guys
  • January 12, 2017, 09:58:57 PM
    ...said the Gaylord of Gayland xD
  • January 12, 2017, 10:53:11 AM
    Y'all gay
  • January 11, 2017, 09:48:58 PM
    naughtyword WHAT?
  • January 11, 2017, 09:46:41 PM
    *maybe
  • January 11, 2017, 09:46:37 PM
    hmm...like 7...maye 8?
  • January 11, 2017, 09:44:02 PM
    naughtyword what?

Topic: Kuririn or Krillin?  (Read 1374 times)

Kuririn or Krillin?
« on: November 26, 2015, 01:36:48 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
Hey bros, watsup?   8)

So, just a little discussion I felt like bringing up around Dragon Ball Z.  For those of you who don't know, the manga names of Dragon Ball characters are different than the ones in the anime dub.  For example, as posted as the topic name, in the show he's known as Krillin, but in the manga his name is Kuririn.  I was curious whether you typically use the anime or manga names for the characters, and why?

For me, it's sorta a weird scenario.  I grew up on the manga and didn't even know the characters had other names, so you think I would use the old manga names.  But surprisingly, I've found that now I mainly use the anime dub names.  I believe this is probably the fault of DBZA, honestly, as I got so used to hearing it the dub way, as well as just in general among forums and such.

:peace:

But let's be real guys, Tien is Tenshinhan. 

We WILL Protect the Peace!

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 02:03:50 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
Well I use Krillin because that's what I knew first . But it doesn't matter which you use because they are pronounced so similar they sound pretty much the same , taking into account that the Japanese language has no use of "L".

As for Tien, I just like calling him Tien .
Jackson-Jack
Tien-Tienshinhan

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:11:04 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I use Kuririn as a force of habit, having been exposed to the series through the manga first and largely discussing it on sites where Japanese terminology was the accepted norm. That said, "Krillin" is just as acceptable because Japanese doesn't have distinct "r" and "l" sounds, so when words are transitioned to or from Japanese, they get twisted around a bit. His name is derived from "kuri" ("chestnut") and "shaolin", so I suppose a more accurate romanization would be "Kurilin"? That's really difficult to pronounce, though. For what it's worth, it's actually spelled different ways on his clothing in the English alphabet, so it is what it is.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 02:12:52 AM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
Applebees the no nose
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 02:16:09 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 75 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
Hey bros, watsup?   8)

So, just a little discussion I felt like bringing up around Dragon Ball Z.  For those of you who don't know, the manga names of Dragon Ball characters are different than the ones in the anime dub.  For example, as posted as the topic name, in the show he's known as Krillin, but in the manga his name is Kuririn.  I was curious whether you typically use the anime or manga names for the characters, and why?

For me, it's sorta a weird scenario.  I grew up on the manga and didn't even know the characters had other names, so you think I would use the old manga names.  But surprisingly, I've found that now I mainly use the anime dub names.  I believe this is probably the fault of DBZA, honestly, as I got so used to hearing it the dub way, as well as just in general among forums and such.

:peace:

But let's be real guys, Tien is Tenshinhan.

Krillin isn't a terrible translation of Kuririn (even when spelled that way, it's basically pronounced as "Ku-ri-lin"). In fact, it's actually not necessary to say the u, as it's often silent when by itself (having as "uu" would make it mandatory to say; i.e., Goku is actually spelled as Gokuu in Hiragana, although Goku is acceptable translation, since the first u is largely meaningless).

Kudos to growing up with the manga, though! I didn't get into the manga until much later (it was still being released when I was in high school), and was stuck with two censored dubs, until the remastered box sets started coming out (again, while I was in high school), and could finally see it without the awful changes.

And yes, "Tien" is definitely Tenshinhan.

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 02:36:08 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
In fact, it's actually not necessary to say the u, as it's often silent when by itself (having as "uu" would make it mandatory to say; i.e., Goku is actually spelled as Gokuu in Hiragana, although Goku is acceptable translation, since the first u is largely meaningless).

This is just flat out not true. The second "u" isn't silent, it's actually a way of writing that the vowel should be extended. It's a bit difficult to explain without having a voice clip of something, but "Goku" isn't pronounced the same way in English dubs as it is in Japanese because of the differences in syllable emphasis. I'm not a linguistics expert, but I'm pretty sure that Japanese just doesn't have any syllable emphasis at all and the "uu" denotes holding the sound of the vowel longer. So it sounds like "GO-ku" in English and "Go-KUU" in Japanese. It's sometimes written with a circumflex ("û") or macron ("ū") to express the difference, or even a "uh" (as in, "Gokuh", and though this is rare for Dragon Ball, this is actually used in the series itself).

This applies to more than just Goku's name. Many of the untranslated Japanese words in the series have this going on (ex. "Daimaou", "Ouzaru", "Makankosappou"). You also see this translation convention crop up in a lot of other series that do the same thing. Do you write Ryu's fireball "hadoken" or "hadouken"? What about "hadōken"? There's no consistent, agreed upon way of writing it, and it's often left out in romanization anyway.

Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:39:38 AM »

Offline vating

• Shenron
  • Honor: 15 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit.
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
I first used Krillin as I had seen DBZ Kai (censored) first.  Right as Krillin died, so the first thing I was his name.  Then I read the DragonBall Manga and saw his original name and they kinda merged into Kurillin.  I also tend to use anime Tien's name since it's just shorter and really just a glorified nickname.

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 02:43:21 AM »

Offline SkyHero20

• 3 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 0 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Evolution brings people to Revolution
i think that kuririn is japanese dub and krillin is the eng dub version of it kinda sounds the same though just different spelling

expect the unexpected

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 02:50:31 AM »

Offline Shyruni

• Shenron
  • Honor: 27 / 0
    • View Profile
  • Money tastes bad. Drink Milk. It's better.
  • I am a: Majin
Krillin isn't a terrible translation of Kuririn (even when spelled that way, it's basically pronounced as "Ku-ri-lin"). In fact, it's actually not necessary to say the u, as it's often silent when by itself (having as "uu" would make it mandatory to say; i.e., Goku is actually spelled as Gokuu in Hiragana, although Goku is acceptable translation, since the first u is largely meaningless).

Kudos to growing up with the manga, though! I didn't get into the manga until much later (it was still being released when I was in high school), and was stuck with two censored dubs, until the remastered box sets started coming out (again, while I was in high school), and could finally see it without the awful changes.

And yes, "Tien" is definitely Tenshinhan.

I don't really think there's a "superior" version of the names, I was more just curious what everyone used. 

And yeah, I grew up with the manga.  Actually, I didn't even know anime existed until a few years back, before all I watched were American cartoons or movies.  I ran across manga when I was 10 or 11 in some library, and grew to love it very quickly.  I don't remember exactly when or why I picked up Dragon Ball for the first time, but I ordered the whole series through an online library service, and read through both Dragon Ball and Z multiple times.  I never saw any of the the Dragon Ball Z dubs or subs, nor any of the movies.  Battle of Gods was actually the first time I ever saw Dragon Ball Z on a tv.   
We WILL Protect the Peace!

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 03:17:38 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 25 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Got a problem? Blow it up. Problem gone.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
My story is quite different. I watched the anime in Latinamerican dubs and those dubs name characters based on their Japanese names. Krillin did keep his English name for some odd reason; but Piccolo is pronounced and written "Piccoro", Goku is emphasized like Kiyza mentioned (go-KU, just one U though). Tien is Tienshinhan, pronounced like Tenshinhan (yeah, the first I was removed from pronunciation only) although I call him Tien for short.

Some characters did get some weird Latinamerican-only translations. Frieza (or Freeza or Furiza) is called Freezer.

Attacks also keep their Japanese names with only a few typing changes: Genkidama, Makakonsapou (I basically just smashed my keyboard there since I don't know how to spell that), Taiyoken (don't know how to do the weird line on top of the O), Kienzan (although it was called Destructor Disk in Spanish on a few occasions), etc.

About what I use... It's hard to say. When I'm talking about it in English, I tend to use the FUNImation names but if I'm talking in Spanish, I use the whatever-compani-did-the-Latinamerican-dubs' name.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 03:24:09 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
This is just flat out not true. The second "u" isn't silent, it's actually a way of writing that the vowel should be extended. It's a bit difficult to explain without having a voice clip of something, but "Goku" isn't pronounced the same way in English dubs as it is in Japanese because of the differences in syllable emphasis. I'm not a linguistics expert, but I'm pretty sure that Japanese just doesn't have any syllable emphasis at all and the "uu" denotes holding the sound of the vowel longer. So it sounds like "GO-ku" in English and "Go-KUU" in Japanese. It's sometimes written with a circumflex ("û") or macron ("ū") to express the difference, or even a "uh" (as in, "Gokuh", and though this is rare for Dragon Ball, this is actually used in the series itself).

This applies to more than just Goku's name. Many of the untranslated Japanese words in the series have this going on (ex. "Daimaou", "Ouzaru", "Makankosappou"). You also see this translation convention crop up in a lot of other series that do the same thing. Do you write Ryu's fireball "hadoken" or "hadouken"? What about "hadōken"? There's no consistent, agreed upon way of writing it, and it's often left out in romanization anyway.
First off... NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!
Second, I said the FIRST u is often silent. For instance the name "Sasuke" is pronounced sauce-kay. The singular u is silent.

Also, isn't it "Oozaru" in Japanese?

I only used Goku's name as an example. And honestly, I've never heard the elongated "Kuu", outside of the Ocean dub of the first three movies. I've never really heard it in the Japanese version, although many people swear by it.
And yes, the "supportive" u can be expressed in different ways.

There's also stuff like Piccolo's name in Japanese, which has an extra letter in it, to represent repetition of the next letter (seeing as how there's no standalone letters outside of vowels and n).

See? I can nerd, too!

I first used Krillin as I had seen DBZ Kai (censored) first.  Right as Krillin died, so the first thing I was his name.  Then I read the DragonBall Manga and saw his original name and they kinda merged into Kurillin.  I also tend to use anime Tien's name since it's just shorter and really just a glorified nickname.
Tenshinhan already had a nickname. "Ten."
And it doesn't help when FUNI tried to pass it off as "Shinhan" being his last name, even though that directly contradicts the series' lore. In fact, it's made worse by them still doing it that way with Kai, rather than making it true to the source material, despite having changed many other things to be accurate.
But they're so damn schizo, I don't know what goes through their minds 99% of the time.

I don't really think there's a "superior" version of the names, I was more just curious what everyone used. 

And yeah, I grew up with the manga.  Actually, I didn't even know anime existed until a few years back, before all I watched were American cartoons or movies.  I ran across manga when I was 10 or 11 in some library, and grew to love it very quickly.  I don't remember exactly when or why I picked up Dragon Ball for the first time, but I ordered the whole series through an online library service, and read through both Dragon Ball and Z multiple times.  I never saw any of the the Dragon Ball Z dubs or subs, nor any of the movies.  Battle of Gods was actually the first time I ever saw Dragon Ball Z on a tv.   

...That's actually kinda impressive. XD

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 03:46:27 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
First off... NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!
Second, I said the FIRST u is often silent. For instance the name "Sasuke" is pronounced sauce-kay. The singular u is silent.

Actually, the "u" in "Sasuke" isn't silent, it's just said very quickly, so it seems silent. You end up with some truncated vowels in Japanese here and there.

Also, isn't it "Oozaru" in Japanese?

One of the ways to write the "o" extension in particular is using "oo" in place of a circumflex, macron, or "ou". The word is pronounced "oh-za-ru", not "oo-za-ru". The "oo" in English indicates a different sound, so it's not normally used. Ouzaru is usually subject to this because of forces of habit that were established when the online fandom started taking root back before I was even there to witness it. It's also where we get the term "SSj" instead of "SS" for Super Saiyan's abbreviation, to the extent that even people who don't write it "Super Saiya-jin" write it that way. The "ou" in "Ouzaru" is the same "ou" in "Kaiou" and "Daimaou" -- the "ou" is a suffix of prefix meaning something to the effect of "lord" or "king".

There's also stuff like Piccolo's name in Japanese, which has an extra letter in it, to represent repetition of the next letter (seeing as how there's no standalone letters outside of vowels and n).

Are you referring to the way the katakana are written, like ピッコロ where "ッ" is something like an accent/extension of "ピ"? If you are, that's the short explanation to the best of my understanding -- it's just denoting how "ピ" is pronounced, not an extra syllable, so when you pronounce it you get the three-syllable "Pikkoro".

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 04:01:24 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Actually, the "u" in "Sasuke" isn't silent, it's just said very quickly, so it seems silent. You end up with some truncated vowels in Japanese here and there.

One of the ways to write the "o" extension in particular is using "oo" in place of a circumflex, macron, or "ou". The word is pronounced "oh-za-ru", not "oo-za-ru". The "oo" in English indicates a different sound, so it's not normally used. Ouzaru is usually subject to this because of forces of habit that were established when the online fandom started taking root back before I was even there to witness it. It's also where we get the term "SSj" instead of "SS" for Super Saiyan's abbreviation, to the extent that even people who don't write it "Super Saiya-jin" write it that way. The "ou" in "Ouzaru" is the same "ou" in "Kaiou" and "Daimaou" -- the "ou" is a suffix of prefix meaning something to the effect of "lord" or "king".

Are you referring to the way the katakana are written, like ピッコロ where "ッ" is something like an accent/extension of "ピ"? If you are, that's the short explanation to the best of my understanding -- it's just denoting how "ピ" is pronounced, not an extra syllable, so when you pronounce it you get the three-syllable "Pikkoro".

I'll have to take you at your word, as I've never heard the u pronounced in Sasuke at all, and I'm aware your girlfriend knows some legit Japanese (whereas what little I know was mostly self-taught).

As for stuff like Kaio/Kaiou, etc. I knew about that (as well as pronouncing Oozaru with "oh," hence why I always scream obscenities when watching the dub of Persona 4 the Animation, when it comes to the clown voicing Naoto (she keeps saying Morooka as more-ooka, instead of more-oh-ohka, despite every other VA saying it correctly... which thankfully the cast in the game did as well; and despite popular belief, the VA is not Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, as she would never make such a rookie mistake, and she voices Noriko Kashiwagi, who says it correctly, but I'm getting off-track here...).

Also, you forgot about the hilarity of the misspelling of "Gokou," but that one actually originated in Japan...

And on that last bit, I'm not so sure it references "ピ" as every time Ive seen it, it always doubles the first letter of the following character. For instance "コ" is ko, and yet, I think it's seen as kko (as there's no standalone k in Katakana), with the ッ before it, and is the closest appoximation of cco they can get with their written language.

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 04:14:36 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
And on that last bit, I'm not so sure it references "ピ" as every time Ive seen it, it always doubles the first letter of the following character. For instance "コ" is ko, and yet, I think it's seen as kko (as there's no standalone k in Katakana), with the ッ before it, and is the closest appoximation of cco they can get with their written language.

Oh damn, I think it might have been a different character that's supposed to be extended. Y'see, the problem is, while I do have a girlfriend who knows linguistics, as you mentioned (speaks some measure of Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese), I can't actually read Japanese characters and usually go to her if I need translations. What I pick up is mostly second-hand from her and independent sources criticizing translation errors in some of the works of fiction I enjoy, Dragon Ball included.

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 04:24:53 AM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
Oh damn, I think it might have been a different character that's supposed to be extended. Y'see, the problem is, while I do have a girlfriend who knows linguistics, as you mentioned (speaks some measure of Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese), I can't actually read Japanese characters and usually go to her if I need translations. What I pick up is mostly second-hand from her and independent sources criticizing translation errors in some of the works of fiction I enjoy, Dragon Ball included.

I can recognize a few characters here and there, although I'm not actually able to read it outright. However, every so often, I do minor translations (using a Hiragana/Katakana chart), so I learned a few things from context.

And I've made mistakes too. My sig actually reads incorrect Katakana (ンイア is N I A, but it should read as ニア Ni A). It was a mistake I made years and years ago on something, but got attached to the typo, and kept it.
FANTASTIC HISTORY LESSON, RIGHT GUYS!?  :r_bigsmile:

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 06:26:33 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
I can recognize a few characters here and there, although I'm not actually able to read it outright. However, every so often, I do minor translations (using a Hiragana/Katakana chart), so I learned a few things from context.

And I've made mistakes too. My sig actually reads incorrect Katakana (ンイア is N I A, but it should read as ニア Ni A). It was a mistake I made years and years ago on something, but got attached to the typo, and kept it.

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
Small tsu doubles anything before it .

りっこ rik ko
ばっぽ bap po
ぽっぽ
まっぎ

Which applies to both hira and kata obviously. ( none of these are words or anything that I know of just made up syllables . )

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 05:29:35 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile

I tend to get these kind of mistakes so that's why I don't usually type in Japanese......... Because I totally know the language.

See? I can nerd, too!

When don't you nerd?

I was trying to find some picture to make a "nerd contest" joke but I can't find any good ones. :(
MarineCorps

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »

Offline Luke[Dumke]

• Administrator
  • Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 168 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Project Leader
  • I am a: Great Namek
I have enough trouble as it is with English,
I don't need more trouble with other languages.

WORDS TASTE LIKE PINEAPPLES
Project Leader for DBORevelations || Contact Email: Support@dborevelations.com

"We'd rather under-promise and over-deliver"

Kuririn or Krillin?
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I have enough trouble as it is with English,
I don't need more trouble with other languages.

WORDS TASTE LIKE PINEAPPLES

Pineapple tastes good. Are you saying you like words?
MarineCorps