Iamsofunny
  • May 27, 2017, 09:55:47 PM
    Heh... Get it?
  • May 27, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
    Summer in Germany is not cool...
  • May 27, 2017, 09:35:52 PM
    :r_flame:
  • May 27, 2017, 09:32:04 PM
    it's so hot where i live...i might die before i see dbor release. I f*cking hate summer in Germany! :superangry: :r_flame: :vomit: :bruh: :yamcha:
  • May 27, 2017, 03:44:21 AM
    PROST!!!
  • May 24, 2017, 08:09:46 AM
    :juggs:
  • May 23, 2017, 12:48:14 AM
    OMG Luffy.... YOU ARE SO CORRECT ON THAT. 1st gen was the best.
  • May 22, 2017, 09:00:57 AM
    yea man, digimon was nice...especially Gen 1  :derp:
  • May 22, 2017, 05:03:50 AM
    XY were crap in comparison to Sun and Moon. Gen 7 was much more enjoyable to play, and longer too
  • May 22, 2017, 04:38:54 AM
    As for Pokemon. I did like X before I lost it. Though I'm not the biggest poke fan. The games are fun
  • May 22, 2017, 04:38:20 AM
    I was looking at Monster Hunter, the DLC always looks cool. The game looks complicated though
  • May 21, 2017, 10:36:38 PM
    Monster hunter
  • May 21, 2017, 12:39:08 PM
    How many time dumkyyyy i wanna help you
  • May 21, 2017, 07:53:24 AM
    Go with Pokemon Sun/Moon. :)
  • May 21, 2017, 04:01:23 AM
    :holdit: Dumke...gimme the DBOR
  • May 20, 2017, 11:31:11 PM
    gmes relased mid 2016 onwards. .. preferably ones people still play online
  • May 20, 2017, 10:10:47 PM
    Define new ones.
  • May 20, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
    Greetings
  • May 20, 2017, 03:22:32 PM
    Hello
  • May 20, 2017, 08:44:05 AM
    Also, anyone got any game recomendations for 3ds? Preferably new ones.
  • May 20, 2017, 08:43:26 AM
    Darn it! I wanted people to EX fuse with..
  • May 20, 2017, 08:10:18 AM
    DUMKYYYYYYYY

Topic: Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden Demo (Nintendo 3DS)  (Read 2902 times)

Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden Demo (Nintendo 3DS)
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
So I was going through the available demos in the Nintendo e-Shop and found this game and was like "Sure, why not?"

Big mistake.

So the game seemed interesting with an old-fashioned 2D map combat style and it had RoF characters and stuff. As soon as I started the demo, I saw this:

Any Dragon Ball fan should immediately notice that's Super Saiyan Goku with black hair! Why?! I immediately hated the game but decided to try it anyways.

Combat: It's a 2D combat game and that was no problem at all, but moving during combat is impossible unless you were in mid-air. You can only dash towards the enemy (not away), jump up and crouch but you can't just slightly move to the right or left... Skills are sorta boring. You only get one special skill per character.

Voices are in Japanese and I get that you don't dub them for a demo but at least add freaking subtitles!

The only thing I liked about this game is that you can fight in King Kai's planet. I think no DBZ game has made that planet an actual fighting area, right?

Maybe the demo was total crap compared to the actual release but it made me lose all respect for Bandai and I'm definitively not gonna buy the full game ever. Actually, I'm uninstalling the demo as I type this review.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »
    • View Profile
  • I can even tame lightning!
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
Pretty sure its because he's supposed to be flying and his hair is flown back

You get 2 special/ultimate attacks

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:48:47 AM »

Offline Tofu

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 27 / 1
    • View Profile
  • Solving problems, one punch at a time.
  • I am a: Turtle Hermit
Pretty sure its because he's supposed to be flying and his hair is flown back

You get 2 special/ultimate attacks

I tried a bunch of different button combinations and couldn't find a second special attack. The game should be easier to understand.

Goku's hair flown back doesn't look like his Super Saiyan hair, or at least not exactly the same. It might even be Super Saiyan 2 Goku, now that I think about it.
MarineCorps
We WILL protect the peace!

Nintendo 3DS FC: 2638 - 0844 - 4946

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
    • View Profile
  • I can even tame lightning!
  • I am a: Swordsmaster
It's really complex Energetic Hunter told me how to do it

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
  • I am a: Super Saiyan
It's actually not that bad a game honestly . In fact it's pretty good for a 2D fighter . Not that I'd buy it though .

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
  • Honor: 76 / 6
    • View Profile
  • Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
  • I am a: Kaioken Master
So I was going through the available demos in the Nintendo e-Shop and found this game and was like "Sure, why not?"

Big mistake.

So the game seemed interesting with an old-fashioned 2D map combat style and it had RoF characters and stuff. As soon as I started the demo, I saw this:

Any Dragon Ball fan should immediately notice that's Super Saiyan Goku with black hair! Why?! I immediately hated the game but decided to try it anyways.

Combat: It's a 2D combat game and that was no problem at all, but moving during combat is impossible unless you were in mid-air. You can only dash towards the enemy (not away), jump up and crouch but you can't just slightly move to the right or left... Skills are sorta boring. You only get one special skill per character.

Voices are in Japanese and I get that you don't dub them for a demo but at least add freaking subtitles!

The only thing I liked about this game is that you can fight in King Kai's planet. I think no DBZ game has made that planet an actual fighting area, right?

Maybe the demo was total crap compared to the actual release but it made me lose all respect for Bandai and I'm definitively not gonna buy the full game ever. Actually, I'm uninstalling the demo as I type this review.

I'm rather surprised to hear such a thing. Not because it's a DBZ game (there's plenty of craptacular DBZ games *cough*Tenkaichi/Raging Blast*cough*, but rather that it was developed by Arc System Works (the guys who made Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Persona 4 Arena/Arena Ultimax).

And as for Kaio-sama's planet being a combat area...

As for the Japanese voices not being subbed... well, just think about it this way. None of the DBZ games have had matching subtitles for the Japanese voice acting (they always use the same subtitles as the ones for the dub voices).

As for Goku's hair on the title screen, that's definitely his SSJ2 hairstyle.
His hair flows in his normal form, even when using Kaioken, and doesn't become stiff and jagged.

It's possible it's a reference to his "powered up" state from the Afterlife Budokai arc (where they initially had him go SSJ in the preview, but he wasn't supposed to yet reveal his transformation, so the actual episode recolored it black), although his eyes are wrong for that (more on that in a moment).

It's also not the Quasi Super-Saiyajin form from the 4th movie, as that had no pupils, and his hair remained flowing as it does with Kaioken.

As I mentioned before, it's odd he has his SSJ2 hairstyle, but it's not miscolored, either. Look at his eyes.
When transformed, Goku's eyes become thin and boxed off, as opposed to rounded and without a full outline.

Even in his "mastered" Super-Saiyajin form, his eyes remain completely outlined, despite being back to the rounded off, friendly look.

I tried a bunch of different button combinations and couldn't find a second special attack. The game should be easier to understand.
Considering most of the games Arc Systems makes, it's probably meant for a more hardcore fighting game crowd, much like Super Dragon Ball Z was. But, I haven't played it, so I can't comment.

It's actually not that bad a game honestly . In fact it's pretty good for a 2D fighter . Not that I'd buy it though .
>Pretty good for a 2D fighter.
You do realize 2D fighters tend to be better than 3D fighters, right?

"I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet, those hands will never hold anything
 So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I shouldn’t be up at this late hour, but Arc Systems has recently earned my love and respect, so I figured I’d check the demo out. So far, I’m actually rather pleased with it on account of the fact that it has a lot of mechanics lifted from classic fighting games along with the stylistic stuff that sets ArcSys’s games apart, like their air dashing. Uncharacteristically, though, it used a Mortal Kombat-ish dial-a-combo system, which I don’t think they’ve done before (though I have no idea what P4 Arena plays like, so there’s that). That’s better suited to a handheld fighter like this. It’s also a tag fighter, a sub-genre I have nothing but ire for because it requires three times the amount of gitting gud other fighting games demand -- and they’re already a genre of game that’s notorious for the amount of masochism they demand from players who are just starting out.

I don’t think most Dragon Ball fans are going to like this game because it’s clearly designed like a “lite” version of a traditional 2D fighter, meaning that you need a lot more effort put into combos and such just to commit them to muscle memory. Only then can you really start playing the game. Most Dragon Ball games have simplistic controls that eschew that staple of the genre, so I imagine most people who like Dragon Ball fighting games will likewise be turned off by this. On the other end of the spectrum, the average fan of fighting games will hate it because of the cost system assigning arbitrary numbers to characters that certainly won’t line up with their actual worth down the road and the likely ease of breaking the game. (Or perhaps they’d love that. I mean, it’s why MvC2 is still played, right?)

Also, as someone who’s spent the past month or so playing fighting games almost exclusively, these controls are a cakewalk. You just push buttons in a sequence. There aren’t even any quarter or half-circles, or heaven forbid, the 360° and 720° circles some of my mains in other games demand. Pushing two buttons simultaneously is a bit of a pain on a conventional controller (and part of the reason fightsticks are so heavily preferred by people who like fighting games), but really, the control scheme isn’t that bad.

All said and done, though, I think that, like Super Dragon Ball Z before it, this game is going to wither as a result of failing to find its niche.

This would have been a valid comment in 2005 or so, but we live in the Golden Age of 2D fighting games and have been for quite a while now. Just in the past month I’ve played 5 different 2D fighters released in the past 7 years, and I thought they were all pretty great. Meanwhile, I haven’t even had a reason to pick up any 3D fighters, and it’s clear they’re actually becoming more of a niche genre as the 2D games gradually get more exposure.

If it’s just the sprite-based stuff you have an issue with (as in, using 2D models instead of 3D ones), I assure you this has no impact on the playability of a game. On the contrary, my personal favorite fighter out of the ones I’ve played (BlazBlue) is sprite-based -- and looks absolutely gorgeous because of the spriting, as there are things you can pull off with a sprite that you can’t with a 3D model.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline Roxas

• Shenron
  • Honor: 24 / 4
    • View Profile
  • Loyalty is key.
@Kiyza @Nia  I was actually trying to  compare it to the other Dragonball fighting games since I've only ever played the 3D ones . And in that sense I was just suprised it looked so good in it art style and the way it played still felt like dragon ball z .My wording was way off however.

Anyway I quite liked it , it's kinda hard but it's good . I enjoyed it a bit more than other games of its kind , probably because it's Dragonball.

Didnt your parents tell you not to play with me? Youll get burned.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
@Kiyza @Nia  I was actually trying to  compare it to the other Dragonball fighting games since I've only ever played the 3D ones . And in that sense I was just suprised it looked so good in it art style and the way it played still felt like dragon ball z .My wording was way off however.

Anyway I quite liked it , it's kinda hard but it's good . I enjoyed it a bit more than other games of its kind , probably because it's Dragonball.

In terms of Dragon Ball games... yeah, I can see it. Most of the 2D DBZ games really never reach the level of intensity some of the 3D ones made (which is ironic, considering it's usually the opposite with fighting games), although a few like Supersonic Warriors come pretty close, although it's mind numbingly simplistic (but admittedly fun).

Again, haven't played Extreme Butoden, but considering it's from Arc Systems, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't full of screen-filling insanity. Honestly, I think if anyone could pull off DBZ in 2D, it's probably them.

At least in the worst case scenario, there's still the superb sprites to look at.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 07:01:11 AM »
    • View Profile
  • Dakka dakka dakka
I am a bit disappointed with the playable character roaster. I mean it's so small and leaves out a few things (does Goku even go SSJ3 for an attack?), especially with the assist cast. Also Nappa and Raditz is playable whereas Vegeta's SSGSS form is an assist (unlike SSGSS Goku)? Um...what? I do like how each character has their own specialty like Broli having no speed but incredible range and power while Gotenks is more tricky (I think).

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »

Offline Kiyza

• 7 Dragonballs
  • Honor: 49 / 11
    • View Profile
  • Herald of Galactus
  • I am a: Namekian
I am a bit disappointed with the playable character roaster. I mean it's so small and leaves out a few things (does Goku even go SSJ3 for an attack?), especially with the assist cast. Also Nappa and Raditz is playable whereas Vegeta's SSGSS form is an assist (unlike SSGSS Goku)? Um...what? I do like how each character has their own specialty like Broli having no speed but incredible range and power while Gotenks is more tricky (I think).

I actually think the roster is almost perfect. The characters obviously have to be included to cover the obligatory story mode (that arguably has no purpose being in a Dragon Ball game in the first place). Broli is usually the obligatory movie rep and Beerus seems to be succeeding him as the “dark horse” with respects to popularity vs screen time. Transformations just bog down rosters and offer certain (often unbalanced) advantages to characters using them, so I’d rather those were kept at a minimum

There’s no real need to bog down the roster with additional characters. The need to have a big cast of characters to choose from in Dragon Ball games is part of what garners so much ire from anyone who wants to play for something other than fanservice: the characters are largely homogenous, and this just gets more extreme with a larger roster. Most fighting games with more than ~15 playable characters are sequels that have had time to test out the characters that were in the roster previously and add more ones on top of those. A lot of time has to be spent perfecting every character and playtesting them for balance once that’s done. I can’t fathom why anyone would want a fighting game without those qualities, and I think that character diversity is far more important than roster size, as long as there enough playable characters to give a lot of options to someone picking the game up.

My gripes with the roster have to do with the fact that we apparently can’t just eschew a story mode and popularity as opposed to adding add characters on the basis of being fun to play as. Tenshinhan and Yamcha would make more interesting characters than Raditz and Bardock, and Janemba would probably be more distinct mechanically than Broli.

One of the problems, of course, is that most Dragon Ball characters do not have unique traits and fighting styles. Everyone is kind of a “Ryu”, if you will -- well balanced, but not suited to any one thing. Most of the characters that are really distinct (ex. 19, Gero, Butta, Gurd, Muten Roshi, General Blue, Chaozu) are not popular or notable enough to be put in a game, though at least Piccolo and Boo are different, and I guess 18 could be different in that she has an endless supply of energy. It’s probably why a lot of the series’ fighting games just don’t put much effort into distinction, at least not at the same level as traditional fighters.

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1102-6000
Off season for VGC Pokémon due to hating the current meta and competitive format, but will still do doubles; Ganondorf main in Smash 4 Wii U and 3DS; G1 Rank Sword & Shield in MH4U

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

Offline Nia

• Dragon King's Focus
    • View Profile
I actually think the roster is almost perfect. The characters obviously have to be included to cover the obligatory story mode (that arguably has no purpose being in a Dragon Ball game in the first place). Broli is usually the obligatory movie rep and Beerus seems to be succeeding him as the “dark horse” with respects to popularity vs screen time. Transformations just bog down rosters and offer certain (often unbalanced) advantages to characters using them, so I’d rather those were kept at a minimum

There’s no real need to bog down the roster with additional characters. The need to have a big cast of characters to choose from in Dragon Ball games is part of what garners so much ire from anyone who wants to play for something other than fanservice: the characters are largely homogenous, and this just gets more extreme with a larger roster. Most fighting games with more than ~15 playable characters are sequels that have had time to test out the characters that were in the roster previously and add more ones on top of those. A lot of time has to be spent perfecting every character and playtesting them for balance once that’s done. I can’t fathom why anyone would want a fighting game without those qualities, and I think that character diversity is far more important than roster size, as long as there enough playable characters to give a lot of options to someone picking the game up.

My gripes with the roster have to do with the fact that we apparently can’t just eschew a story mode and popularity as opposed to adding add characters on the basis of being fun to play as. Tenshinhan and Yamcha would make more interesting characters than Raditz and Bardock, and Janemba would probably be more distinct mechanically than Broli.

One of the problems, of course, is that most Dragon Ball characters do not have unique traits and fighting styles. Everyone is kind of a “Ryu”, if you will -- well balanced, but not suited to any one thing. Most of the characters that are really distinct (ex. 19, Gero, Butta, Gurd, Muten Roshi, General Blue, Chaozu) are not popular or notable enough to be put in a game, though at least Piccolo and Boo are different, and I guess 18 could be different in that she has an endless supply of energy. It’s probably why a lot of the series’ fighting games just don’t put much effort into distinction, at least not at the same level as traditional fighters.
Eh, to be fair, Raditz gets the shaft far more often than Tenshinhan or Yamcha, and rarely appears in a game like this.

About most of what you said, you're not too far off, though. Especially with the characters being practically identical (looking at you, Spike-developed DBZ games).
Even the Dimps games have a lot of similarities between the characters, although they usually at least try to give some distinction.

It is pretty weird that Super-Cyan Goku is playable, but not Super-Cyan Vegeta...